HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kanko

Old
12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
DieHargFanOfKings

vCash: 500
Kanko

If the thing is that Avery was the reason why Kanko isn`t playing for Kings because of "old" Avery....What is he`s status now when Avery isn`t playing agitator role anymore?

DieHargFanOfKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 03:21 PM
kingsfan25

I'd be in favour of calling him up...he's got good offensive potential and he's the sooner he gets integrated into the roster, the better.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Kanko has to do more at the minor league level first. Four points (all goals) in 18 games isn't enough to warrant a call-up to the Kings. Offense certainly isn't going to be his calling card at the next level, but he has to better than that.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Tadite

I'm not really sure about the love for Kanko. What has he done at the AHL level to show he is ready for the NHL?

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 04:36 PM
BINGO

quick question

how many games has "sam" and "tadite" actually seen him play.

-not saying that he should or shouldn't, but how many games have you guys actually seen him play?

Thanks

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
how many games has "sam" and "tadite" actually seen him play.

-not saying that he should or shouldn't, but how many games have you guys actually seen him play?

Thanks
Over the course of prospect development camps, rookie tournaments, WJCs, preseason games, and his time with the Kings last year, about 25-30. This season, not so much. Probably one or two.

The main problem with Kanko as a prospect is he has pretty much been seen as a prospect that's a year away ever since he had a terrific training camp as an 18 year old, and now the clock is ticking. Next year, if Kanko doesn't make the Kings out of camp, he will have to pass through waivers.

Last edited by Sam: 12-03-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old
12-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kanko isn't good enough to replace Avery.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Kanko isn't good enough to replace Avery.
i think the implication is that Avery is now considered a top-6 FW...therefore Kanko can come in and take over the pest role.....

i'm hoping that Avery finds a balance between scoring/keeping clean and playing physical.....it seems like he's been avoiding contact more than Frolov this season...without his physical play, Avery just isnt that special a player

by the way, i'm not trying to take anything away from Avery...b/c he has contributed this year....just entirely eliminating the physcial/pest aspects of his game takes away probably what he does best....but that balance may be hard to find...we've seen more skill from Avery this year than anyone expected was in him, so perhaps his overall game will be the next to improve.....is he a UFA after this season...b/c if it is, then that explains all the effort to score

Last edited by I Am Ziggy Palffy: 12-03-2006 at 05:09 PM.
I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 05:37 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Over the course of prospect development camps, rookie tournaments, WJCs, preseason games, and his time with the Kings last year, about 25-30. This season, not so much. Probably one or two.

The main problem with Kanko as a prospect is he has pretty much been seen as a prospect that's a year away ever since he had a terrific training camp as an 18 year old, and now the clock is ticking. Next year, if Kanko doesn't make the Kings out of camp, he will have to pass through waivers.
Could the fact that he was asked to completely change his game for his first three years in the organization have anything to do with it?

I'm not taking a shot at you, it's a question directed at everyone.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
i think the implication is that Avery is now considered a top-6 FW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
i...we've seen more skill from Avery this year than anyone expected was in him, so perhaps his overall game will be the next to improve.....is he a UFA after this season...b/c if it is, then that explains all the effort to score
This isn't specifically targeted at you, IamZP, but where does this fallacy come from that he's having some sort of breakout season? Is it from the time a few weeks ago when he had 4pts in 2gms and a bunch of people got all excited, thinking that it would continue? If so, then I should point out that he has 0pts in 6gms since. Let's look at the stats:

2005-06, 0.520 PPG, 13:36 avg time on ice per game
2006-07, 0.536 PPG, 18:02 avg time on ice per game

In other words, his production is no different than last year (except possibly less consistent)... and that's with a whopping four and a half minutes more ice-time (and, arguably, better linemates). Like I said in another thread, he's more useful this year, since he kills penalties and doesn't take quite as many, but this idea that he's "blossomed" into a scorer isn't supported by the stats. Perhaps that's his new role, but, if so, then he's not doing a terribly good job of it, at least no better than Armstrong's done in the past.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Game Misconduct

Unless he gets his act together, I don't think Kanko will see NHL ice ever again. And I have seen him play quite a bit.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 08:12 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
Unless he gets his act together, I don't think Kanko will see NHL ice ever again. And I have seen him play quite a bit.
Forget "his" act... he needs to get someone else's act... preferably someone's who has an NHL future. He's gone from prospect to suspect over the past couple of years.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 08:19 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
He's gone from prospect to suspect over the past couple of years.
Not exactly a unique situation in the Kings' organ-eye-zation....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Could the fact that he was asked to completely change his game for his first three years in the organization have anything to do with it?
Kanko hasn't had to completely change his game. He's always been a grinding agitator. The difference from juniors to the minors is that he now has to do it as a role player as opposed to on a scoring line.

Old
12-03-2006, 08:25 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

perhaps Avery being more active offensively isnt translating into more impressive stats, but it seems clear in the games that he is attempting to show his skill a whole lot more....rather than just getting the puck and flipping a "nothing" shot into the goalies chest, he's been able to hang onto the puck and create scoring chances more often....i never knew he had it in him....

Avery, last year, was the guy who would actually kill an offensive rush with his "nothing" shots and his hard, erratic passes that were impossible to handle...true he's getting more ice time with better linemates, as well as PP time, so its hard for him not to at least look a little better offensively, but i'd argue that he is better this year...like i said, he hasnt done anything to lead me to believe that he's a legit top-6, but he's considered one of the better FW's on the team now.....

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Luke87

definetly not ready for a call up at this point

Luke87 is offline   Reply With Quote