HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the hell?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2003, 05:52 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
What the hell?

This just isn't much fun anymore.
Five games, five straight blowouts.
Three wins. Two losses.

When was the last time you saw the Wings and their opponents both play a good, hard fought, exciting game?

It's either a blowout. A boring snoozer. Or big collapses.

Ah, for the good old fashion 4-3 nailbiter (the kind where you don't blow a three-goal lead in the third). The kind of game that actually prepares you for the playoffs.

Let's take a look

Det 6 NYI 0 *BLOWOUT
DET 7 EDM 1 *BLOWOUT
WAS 4 DET 1 *BLOWOUT
DET 5 MIN 1 *BLOWOUT
CLS 3 DET 0 *BLOWOUT
DET 5 CLS 1 *BLOWOUT
MIN 1 DET 1 *SNOOZER
DET 4 CHI 3 *COLLAPSE
DET 6 DAL 1 *BLOWOUT
DET 3 CHI 0 *BLOWOUT
NAS 4 DET 3 *COLLAPSE
DET 3 CAL 0 *BLOWOUT
VAN 5 DET 1 *BLOWOUT
EDM 4 DET 4 *COLLAPSE

I guess hockey in November, is well, hockey in November. I can't remember the last time I saw a good Red Wing game.

Anyway, good to watch some of the kids tonight. And I'd much rather be on the good side of a 6-0 route.

Kris Draper has 10 goals. He's on pace for like 30 plus goals. Right now, he's our best player. Team MVP.

Did the Datsyuk line go plus 4 today? Wow. Three points for Datsyuk, Thomas. Tell me why 29 teams passed up on Thomas? Or, for that matter, what took us so long to realize we should pick him up?

Agree with Mickey. Let's be a little more liberal about awarding penalty shots. Robinson had a step and the only reason he wasn't gone was because the defender got a stick on him and held on for life.

Does Detroit love Manny Legace, or what? Nice to see him get a shutout.
Wonder when Cujo will get some icetime. Maybe tommorrow, with back to back games.

Shanahan looked really involved tonight. Threw some checks. Backchecked nicely. Converted that sweet pass from Draper. We need him to be active. We need him to lead.

What the hell crawled up Jason Williams' arse? Not his scoring touch, I'll tell you that. I like a good fight now and then. But you can tell we've got a lot of AHLers on the team, that's for sure.

Bootland is like a slower, tougher Avery. He dives (he get's clipped with a high stick and his legs go flying?). He walks away from fights. He's not going to win much respect in the league with this act. Oh well.

Didn't see a lot of Robinson, Mowers and Devereaux tonight. All those penalties and fights took away from their icetime.
Devereaux really needs to learn to accept the pass. And, oh yeah, to stay on his skates.

Wings now are 13-9-2. A win tomorrow would be huge against St. Louis.
A poor outing will bring about more of the questions they've answered so well in this recent streak.

What's with all the injuries? How about this? Tomorrow will be the 7th time the Wings have played back to back. That's 14 games. Out of, what, 24?
The wings can't be happy about the schedule.

Old
11-28-2003, 06:13 PM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Whole Post
Ok
Lets keep in mind Blake had just run Dandeneault into the boards from behind. Booter's first concern is to deal with the mess in the corner, not fight Cairns.

Besides, who in their right mind would go toe-to-toe with Eric frickin' Cairns?
Would you do so if challenged?
Keep in mind the guy is 6'6" 230 lbs.
Now I'm a pretty big guy myself, around 220 lbs, 6'4" but I would not mess with Eric Cairns unless somehow somebody slipped a few horse tranquilizers into his water bottle.
Even then I'd be very reluctant to mess with him. The guy will do anything to hurt you in a fight or in a game. Anything. Cairns is the epitomy of dirty and cheap. You should be happy Bootland got him ejected from the game. That's one less dangerous player for Datsyuk and Hull and our other stars to play against.

Are you referring to the Moreau incident wednesday?
Are you one of the few people who either chooses to ignore the fact that if a player gets into 2 fights in one game they're ejected or did you simply not know of the rule?
Bootland picks his spots. He's not a mindless goon who goes out and picks a fight with just anybody. What would fighting with Eric Godard or Moreau have achieved for him? It means less ice time for him, and last I checked he's a 22 year old rookie trying to make his mark and prove he can stick to the lineup by actually playing hockey. Nothing wrong with that.
And the "dive" wasn't so bad. Bootland had a welt on his face from Niinimaa's high stick on his right cheek for the rest of the game after the penalty.

Second, I complained about the wings' schedule a few weeks ago on one of the main forums and was greeted with a "shut up" from St. Louis fans and some others. I don't like that the past 2 seasons have been cut by almost 2 full weeks but what can we do about it aside from light a bag of poo on fire on Bettman's doorstep, ring the doorbell and run?

Asham and Williams have been going at it all game long. Asham slashed Williams, Williams crosschecked Asham. Then both dropped the gloves. At least he's [Jason Williams] is showing some passion.

Personally, I like watching the wings blow people out of the water. I like tight games, but blowouts are so much more fun to watch. Seeing the wings dominate games like I know they can and should. And if you were watching the game at all tonight, you should think about some of the marvelous saves Legace made. If it weren't for some of his acrobatics it could have easily been 6-4 or 6-5

Old
11-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
It is THREE fights and you get the rest of the night off, unless they changed it in the last year or so. As for Bootland and Cairns, no he should not have gone with him but he shouldn't be out there running his mouth either. Bootland would have been in trouble if Cairns would have stayed in the game. Sooner or later Cairns would have caught him out there and he wold have been KILLED.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner
It is THREE fights and you get the rest of the night off, unless they changed it in the last year or so. As for Bootland and Cairns, no he should not have gone with him but he shouldn't be out there running his mouth either. Bootland would have been in trouble if Cairns would have stayed in the game. Sooner or later Cairns would have caught him out there and he wold have been KILLED.
I heard Mickey say it in one of the games....2 fights and your out for the night. I dont remember which game.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:56 PM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner
It's two in a game. Been that way since the late 70's or (maybe) early 80's so players like Dave Schultz and Moose Dupont didn't go picking fights with 8 different guys a night.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
It's two in a game. Been that way since the late 70's or (maybe) early 80's so players like Dave Schultz and Moose Dupont didn't go picking fights with 8 different guys a night.
I don't know I have seen Fedoryk fight two times in a game and the philly play by play guy say one more and he gets a vacation. Plus I didn't see one way or the other in the rule book. I don't know you could be right and I could have heard it wrong who knows.

http://nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule56.html

That said however Bootland is lucky that Cairns got ejected or Cairns would have gotten him when he got out.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:30 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
It's three fights and you're out.

I know this because Jody Shelley and Bob Probert fought 3 times in one game 2 years ago. It was a thing of beauty, if you're an old-school hockey fan.

Closed Thread