HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some playoff numbers

Old
12-04-2006, 09:27 AM
NathanFoley

vCash: 500
Some playoff numbers

I was looking at the standings and it got me thinking - what would it take for the Flyers to make the playoffs at this point?

The 8th seed in the East is likely to finish with around 91 points. So we need to win two thirds of our games through the remainder of the season (mitigated somewhat by the one-point bonus for OT losses) - that would be a 37-18 run, giving us 94 points and (probably) the 7th seed. Does that seem doable? I don't think so...

And even though we're only ten games back from a playoff spot right now, it would take a 12-game winning streak, starting Friday, just to be at 8th in the conference (though at that point we'd be battling for the division lead).

Point is, the Flyers are playing a lot better recently. Can it be enough for us to get into the postseason?

Nathan

NathanFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

We're in dead last, any way you swing it. We're not making the playoffs.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:16 AM
NathanFoley

Yes, but not by a wide margin - and things are looking up recently, even with a few frustrating losses (consider, Jersey and Nashville SHOULD have been wins - take a look at our last-10 if those two Ls are Ws). Plus, if you're gonna stink, there's no better division to do it in then the Atlantic. With a strong enough second half we could even finish with the 3rd playoff slot. We'll never catch Buffalo, Montreal, Atlanta or Carolina, but it's still conceivable that we end up playing against the 6-seed in the Quarters.

Even if our target is to finish 8th (a significantly more achievable goal), consider this - the five or so teams that will be jockeying for those bottom two playoff spots in April are going to be teams that didn't do very well in the first half, either. 91 points is what we need. 71 points in 55 games. A month of good play could put us right back in the mix.

NathanFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I don't see good, consistent play happening for the rest of the year. This team is still bad, they're finding ways to lose games more consistently than they're finding ways to win them.

Sure, 71 points in 55 games isn't impossible, I just don't see it happening. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I just don't have reason to expect much out of this season. If they pull it together, great. If not, then it was expected.

We're not out of it until it's mathematically impossible to make it, I'm just saying we're in dead last and every team is going to keep moving up too.

Old
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM
BringBackStevens

I think they will get much, much closer than most of us expect, but fall short with a clsoe 9 or 10 seed

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:43 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I think they will get much, much closer than most of us expect, but fall short with a clsoe 9 or 10 seed
That's my fear -- too good to get a really good draft pick out of the deal, not good enough to make the playoffs.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
That's my fear -- too good to get a really good draft pick out of the deal, not good enough to make the playoffs.
This, to me, is the most realistic scenario which means we've endured a season of agony just to get anally ****ed. (sorry for the graphic comment, but it's true)

Old
12-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
It'll be tough, especially w/o Forsberg playing as well as he usually does. I think we might be able to squeak by with 1 or 2 points if we start playing better soon. Getting Sanderson and Carter back should help us out a little.

Personally, I think Forsberg should take some time off, get his foot/skate/whatever he needs fixed, fixed, and come back and focus on the second half of the season, or even next year.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tol pwnage View Post
It'll be tough, especially w/o Forsberg playing as well as he usually does. I think we might be able to squeak by with 1 or 2 points if we start playing better soon. Getting Sanderson and Carter back should help us out a little.

Personally, I think Forsberg should take some time off, get his foot/skate/whatever he needs fixed, fixed, and come back and focus on the second half of the season, or even next year.
agreed

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 04:31 PM
sansan

While it would be nice to make the playoffs, I think the most important thing for the team this year is to re-establish an identity and let the kids get some more experience playing together. I like the way they've been playing lately as a team and hopefully they keep moving forward.

Anything can happen. I'm not giving up hope yet.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 05:26 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
If this Flyers team makes the playoffs they're winning the cup.

You heard it here first.

It's just that I can't possibly believe they can make the playoffs this year. It would have to be a fart in the time-space continueum which would push us all the way through to win the cup.

At least that's what I think.

(too much coffee today)

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
flyersfan97

I think we can make the playoffs, the question is will we do it? How many people counted the Devils out in December/January last year and they ended up winning the Atlantic. I know, I know, they got Elias back and they have a goalie named Brodeur. I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that the talent (yes, talent) we have on this team will not make the playoffs-so I'm going to believe we have a shot. There's not a ton of consistency in front of us in the Atlantic either, and as someone above me said, if we end up 8th seed we could win the division (how sad is that?) All that being said, I agree with Charlie, we'll probably end up 9th or 10th which would just infuriate me beyond belief.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
They could, but not at the rate they're winning. They keep finding ways to lose games and teams that find ways to lose games don't even have a shot.

Ideally, the team needs to get to 20-20-5 after 45 games, at worst and then play the way they're supposed to. Last year Tampa Bay was the last team in the playoffs and they had 33 regulation losses...along with 2 other teams that missed the playoffs. They had 92 points, and this season everyone is so close together except for a few teams, I wouldn't bet that you would have to have 90 to get in. Although, the number of 3 point games throws the theory out of wack. I think 40 wins can get you win.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:48 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I think we can make the playoffs, the question is will we do it? How many people counted the Devils out in December/January last year and they ended up winning the Atlantic. I know, I know, they got Elias back and they have a goalie named Brodeur. I still can't wrap my brain around the fact that the talent (yes, talent) we have on this team will not make the playoffs-so I'm going to believe we have a shot. There's not a ton of consistency in front of us in the Atlantic either, and as someone above me said, if we end up 8th seed we could win the division (how sad is that?) All that being said, I agree with Charlie, we'll probably end up 9th or 10th which would just infuriate me beyond belief.
Devils always turn it on in the 2nd half of the season. Dont count them out.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote