HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs looking for Centre, shopping niminaa

Old
12-04-2006, 11:02 AM
habs101

vCash: 500
Habs looking for Centre, shopping niminaa

I just read on the fourthperiod.com that the ottawa sun reports that Gainey has been calling other G.M.'s in the league shopping Niminaa but everyone wants souray. I'll try to get the attachment, I've never done it before so here goes http://www.thefourthperiod.com/index.html

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:04 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs101 View Post
I just read on the fourthperiod.com that the ottawa sun reports that Gainey has been calling other G.M.'s in the league shopping Niminaa but everyone wants souray. I'll try to get the attachment, I've never done it before so here goes http://www.thefourthperiod.com/index.html
They are not dealing Souray...i dont know who else agrees with me ..but i know that if we lose Souray we are going down.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:06 AM
felixd

Niinimaa for Ribeiro

edit:

Last edited by felixd: 12-04-2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: There's always a retard who can't understand sarcasm on the internet
felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
habs101

Totally agree, I hope Gainey doesn't break down, on the other hand if he has no intention of resigning him at the end of the season because we can't afford him then I would definately listen to the offers at least.

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
''The Sun claims Souray could be looking for as much as the $6.5 million that Wade Redden is pulling down with Ottawa, while other reports suggest both Markov and Rivet are expecting raises.''

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:08 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
They are not dealing Souray...i dont know who else agrees with me ..but i know that if we lose Souray we are going down.
Only way we move Souray is if we are out of playoff contention...and that doesn't look like it's happening soon.

Old
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
''The Sun claims Souray could be looking for as much as the $6.5 million that Wade Redden is pulling down with Ottawa, while other reports suggest both Markov and Rivet are expecting raises.''

IMO there is a 0% chance the Habs pay Souray 6.5 million.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:13 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
No way Souray is worth $6M++. If that is the case it might be our best option to trade him if a center could be acquired. That said, it sure would be hard to replace his point production.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:25 AM
!nkubus

Niinima will probably end up on the waivers.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Well, I hope Gainey don't think he can get anything decent for Niinimaa, considering his poor play and his salary.

Souray, on the other hand...

IMO good young centers would be too tough to pry away from their teams (Getzlaf would be sweet), but we could also try to get veterans and some prospects instead, like Weight, Nieuwendyk, etc. Would bring leadership too.

L4br3cqu3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
felixd

Niinimaa for Nieuwendyk?

Old
12-04-2006, 11:36 AM
!nkubus

Yeah Nieuwendyk might be a good addition for a playoff spin, but for wath price... Souray? Never, Souray worth more than that.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:39 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

a joke if you give him anything more than 4 mil . DOES THE NAME KUBINA RING A BELL? as usual someone overpaid a 3rd Dman , and now he is stealing money .
Dido for Jovo, I don`t care what the market is, if the player makes no sense in your budget , move him and and make the best deal you can. Come on folks, he is not that good, and he will not , I REPEAT , not earn his dough beyond 2 years. This is ludacrous when a Souray is worth that money, let him be someone else`s headache . GAINEY has done a good job of not overpaying , and keeoung his cap
in check, Theo was moved, and Kovy has only 2 years left, even the bum Samsonov only has one more year. But we are not tied to 4 players making stupid money and eating a big chunk of the cap like the Leafs or Tampa Bay. The name of the game here is flexibility , GAINEY WON`T SCREW UP HIS CAP TO INK SOURAY.
There are plenty of good players around to pick up, IS SOURAY SO MUCH BETTER THAN CORVO MAKING 2.5? IS JOVO SO MUCH BETTER THAN CORVO MAKING 2.5?
Sheldon is not the difference between us winning or losing a cup , just like the Bouliion groupies who thought he was such a big loss, and we survived nicely.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Niinimaa for Ribeiro

edit:
I say we go for it. That guy's been looking good in Dallas.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Only way we move Souray is if we are out of playoff contention...and that doesn't look like it's happening soon.

I couldn't agree with you more. Souray will not be traded. I'd rather get nothing for him after the playoffs than trade him now. Thats if Montreal makes the playoffs.

No way I'd pay more than 4.5-5m for him...no way! I think somewhere around 4.0-4.5 million a year

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The only way Souray's getting moved is if Bob feels he has absolutely no chance of re-signing him or if Souray wants a raise that he can't afford to pay...but I'm sure he's going to do everything in his power to re-sign him.

As for shopping around Niinimaa, good luck. How many teams are going to trade for an overpaid healthy scratch (besides us )? At best, Niinimaa will net you a 3rd-4th line center but definitely not a 2nd.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:

6.5 ??!? For **** sakes !!!!!!!

I hope it's not true because otherwise there is no doubt that he won't be a Habs next year.I like Souray but there is no way that he's worth more than 5 million and even then i'm being generous.His offensive game is great but his defensive is average at best and a D must be good in all aspects of the game to deserve such a big salary imho.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
As for shopping around Niinimaa, good luck. How many teams are going to trade for an overpaid healthy scratch (besides us )? At best, Niinimaa will net you a 3rd-4th line center but definitely not a 2nd.
I would take a 7th rounder for him if it meant getting rid of his salary.

The guy is just plain horrible and i doubt that any team would be interested.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:12 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
No way Souray is worth $6M++. If that is the case it might be our best option to trade him if a center could be acquired. That said, it sure would be hard to replace his point production.
Well sincerely, no way McCabe is worth 7,15M/year but he still got it. I'm pretty sure a team will be willing to give Souray 6M++$ per year...

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:13 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
IMO there is a 0% chance the Habs pay Souray 6.5 million.

or any team in that matter. Souray has great offensive instinct but thats all he has, his defense is going to really hurt him in the free agent market. Theres been alot of speculation that souray wants to go west. Lets see

Lets see, the ducks have niedemeyer and pronger, two players who have generous contracts and have a bunch of young players that are at one point going to get raises. Ducks Are going to want to get better up front because they really dont need another 6,5 million $ defencemen.

The sharks have thornton and marleau and nabokov, there not going to give souray that kind of $$

The only team out west that could be a posibility for souray is L.A.

If souray wants that kind of cash hes going to have to go to a rebuilding team, At this point of his career I would think souray is interested in winning. You look at all the good teams, there all in some kind of cap trouble. Souray is in a bad situation. He pretty much has two choices, sign with a bottom feeder who has a ton of cap space if he wants the money or get less money and stay with a winner. If hes going to go towards less money his best bet is to stay in montreal. Markov is pretty much in the same situation so its not all that bad for montreal as other teams are going to have to sign there own players.

Last edited by oli500: 12-04-2006 at 12:20 PM.
oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:15 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
Niinima will probably end up on the waivers.
This guy is chewing up cap space, he has got to go. With Streit, and maybe Coté/Jancevski could not do worse in limited roles...

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:19 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
Well sincerely, no way McCabe is worth 7,15M/year but he still got it. I'm pretty sure a team will be willing to give Souray 6M++$ per year...
McCabe isn't makeing $7.15m per year. His deal was $28.75m over 5 years.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...28_203107_6612

That works out to $5.75m per season. More than I would have paid still, but there you go. I think Souray and his agent will be looking for something between what Kaberle ($4.5m per) and McCabe are making. It's worth noting however, that the list of UFA defencemen isn't as high in number or quality this year. That could inflate Souray's "value" if teams start bidding.

BLNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post

7.15? ... He got like 5.7.

Vicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Well then the nhlpa.com site is all wrong...

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/Player...hy.asp?ID=3664

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Maybe he makes 7.15 this year, but I am pretty sure his cap hit is 5.75.

Vicious is online now   Reply With Quote