HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oats

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
coyote

vCash: 500
Oats

If all of you people believe that he is our saviour I think we are in trouble. He is a small 41 year old hockey player who's better days on the ice are behind him. He was a great hockey player in his day but there is a time we you have to say that's enough. He will probably help the team a little but for 2 million I would rather have Comrie. He did not help the Ducks that much last year and tha's why they did not sign him this year. Seems to me we are signing alot of average players for around the 2 mill. mark when the average league salary is lower than that. We have to start getting more bang for our buck.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Oi'll say!

Grabbing Oates as a ufa didn't necessarily pave the way to the Cup this season but it cost us nothing in terms of player personnel and he will be a positive addition to the overall team this season, if some of the young guys learn something from him even better.

Comrie? Puh-lease. If Comrie wanted to be here he would have signed a contract b4 training camp started and this would be a non-issue.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:57 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Who is Oats?

Old
11-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Walsher

Oates (not Oats) will make less than 1.5 mill this season. 1.95 was a years contract less the 22 games he missed to start the season. In case you have missed his career, which may be the case here, he is amazing on the face off dot, great on PP, and one of the best play makers in the history of the game (ask Hull or Nealy). He played his first game tonight and was the best player on the ice for the Oilers. Not too bad for an old, small, 41 year old is it. Nobody said this paves the way for a cup but it sure does solidify a lineup that was in dire need of a veteran presence up the middle.

Old
11-28-2003, 11:51 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
If all of you people believe that he is our saviour I think we are in trouble. He is a small 41 year old hockey player who's better days on the ice are behind him. He was a great hockey player in his day but there is a time we you have to say that's enough. He will probably help the team a little but for 2 million I would rather have Comrie. He did not help the Ducks that much last year and tha's why they did not sign him this year. Seems to me we are signing alot of average players for around the 2 mill. mark when the average league salary is lower than that. We have to start getting more bang for our buck.
Oates suited up for 67 games last season, recording 45 points (9-36). In 21 playoff games last spring, he had 13 points (4-9). Those are some pretty decent numbers for a guy playing with and against younger, bigger, faster, and stronger players.

You're right: he didn't help the Ducks much last year... other than play a part in turning the Ducks from a pretender into a contender.

As much as I want to see Comrie re-sign with Edmonton, having Oates is best for the Oilers right now. The big reason: he is a proven NHLer. Maybe at some point during the year, though, M.C. wears the copper and blue again, giving the team two skilled centremen in their top six.

Adam Oates is not expected to carry the Oilers on his back and win the Cup. Lowe signed him because he thought #77 would help the team, and in time, he will. There is 59 games left in the season, no need for concern. I think we just have to give him a little while to get back into form and get comfortable with whoever his linemates end up being (Smyth and Dvorak? ).

Although he may be 41, my feeling is still strong that Oates will continue to turn the heads of players, coaches, general managers, and fans around the league.

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 11-29-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old
11-29-2003, 04:42 AM
Oiltalk

We always have the age thing brought up. Look at the older guys in detroit that school teams like the Oilers every year in important games. Oates will help this club in a lot of ways, and I don't think any of us expected him to light up the scoreboard last night.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Oates won't score many goals but his presence will solidify the center position. The guy is great on the faceoff and the Ducks won two Stanley Cup games because he was able to pull that puck back to a shooter. He isn't worth 3.5 mil dollars but he is definitely worth 1.5-2 mil. The Oilers got a great deal with Oates. With him in the lineup, the other players can play their role.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:53 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

last night he won a couple of offensive zone faceoffs which led to scoring chances, his value has already showed itself. now if we could get a guy to actually shoot the puck hard perhaps the oilers could score some goals.

Old
11-29-2003, 07:01 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I think alot of people here are realistic what Oates will bring to the team.

Which is more than that one way playing, puck hogging, egotistical, immature spoiled brat brings.

I would pick Oates until the deadline over Comrie until the deadline any day.

And the team would be alot better for it too.

Old
11-29-2003, 07:12 AM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I think alot of people here are realistic what Oates will bring to the team.

Which is more than that one way playing, puck hogging, egotistical, immature spoiled brat brings.

I would pick Oates until the deadline over Comrie until the deadline any day.

And the team would be alot better for it too.
IMO Comrie would help us more then Oates. In the game yesterday I knew he wasn't a great skater but I didn't realize he was that bad. He was a great player at one time but now we need people like Comrie in the line up who can skate and make plays.

Old
11-29-2003, 07:32 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
IMO Comrie would help us more then Oates. In the game yesterday I knew he wasn't a great skater but I didn't realize he was that bad. He was a great player at one time but now we need people like Comrie in the line up who can skate and make plays.
Good grief it was his first bloody game!

He missed all of training camp and pre-season. He missed the first 22 games of the season.

He didn't out hit, out hustle and out skate every Oiler on the team. But he was likely the most effective Oiler forward on the ice last night.

"we need people like Comrie in the line up who can skate and make plays."

Make plays.....

It's always the same toe-drag, carry it in by yourself, and try and deek out both defensemen play every game though. After a couple of parades around the league with that act it didn't take long for everyone to catch on. He's very containable.

Once the league started keying on Comrie......the plays died with Comrie.

Old
11-29-2003, 07:43 AM
coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Good grief it was his first bloody game!

He missed all of training camp and pre-season. He missed the first 22 games of the season.

He didn't out hit, out hustle and out skate every Oiler on the team. But he was likely the most effective Oiler forward on the ice last night.

"we need people like Comrie in the line up who can skate and make plays."

Make plays.....

It's always the same toe-drag, carry it in by yourself, and try and deek out both defensemen play every game though. After a couple of parades around the league with that act it didn't take long for everyone to catch on. He's very containable.

Once the league started keying on Comrie......the plays died with Comrie.
The play very seldom dies with Comrie because he is very creative.

Old
11-29-2003, 07:56 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
The play very seldom dies with Comrie because he is very creative.
"dies " should be spelled "died".

Past tense.

"very creative" should be spelled "very predictable"

There was a day though.....

Old
11-29-2003, 08:00 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
last night he won a couple of offensive zone faceoffs which led to scoring chances, his value has already showed itself.

Exactly. HIS VALUE HAS ALREADY SHOWN ITSELF. We got him for three specific reasons.
1. To help out on faceoffs because in that dept, we are sucking.
2. To help out on the power play- once again, sucking.
3. To provide some veteran leadership in the dressing room.

hmm is very right. He did win some offensive draws last night. These led directly to scoring chances. That makes him in our lineup an improvement over the Detroit game already. (BTW, I don't think I am ever going to watch a game on TSN ever again. Every second sentence was either the Oilers need to improve on winning faceoffs, or, and Detroit wins it cleanly again. Enough already. if you can't think of anything to say that you haven't already mentioned 50 times, then shut the hell up :mad: )
Did anyone else notice that we actually had control of the puck in their end during a power play? Guess what? That's an improvement.
I can't help but think that anytime you add a guy to your lineup that's been in the league 17 or 18 years, and has been to the cup finals, then he's gonna know something about something. This can't help but rub off on our younger guys.

"If all of you people believe that he is our saviour I think we are in trouble. He is a small 41 year old hockey player who's better days on the ice are behind him. He was a great hockey player in his day but there is a time we you have to say that's enough. He will probably help the team a little but for 2 million I would rather have Comrie. He did not help the Ducks that much last year and tha's why they did not sign him this year. Seems to me we are signing alot of average players for around the 2 mill. mark when the average league salary is lower than that. We have to start getting more bang for our buck."

He is not our saviour. He IS someone who is gona make a positive difference and immediate impact, and who takes us one step closer to where we want to be. One more peice of the puzzle is now in place.

As for Comrie- give it up. I'm sick of hearing about this. This isn't an either or situation. He doesn't want to play here. Oates does. Apples and frickin hand grenades I say.

Old
11-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Slats432

Here is a comment on Sportsnet last night, I hope you heard it.

Oates was talking to players about the Powerplay. He was talking to Bergeron and said to him, when I was in Washington, Gonchar did it this way. Bergeron just stood there soaking it up. That is why Bergeron parked himself in the stall next to Oates.

There are tons of reasons why you sign a guy like Oates. You think Simpson can teach the PP a few things...well Oates is like a player-coach out there.

Maybe a tip or two to Hemsky, how about mentioning a few things to Isbister about how Neely would react. A couple Hull-type tips to Dvorak.

Not to mention winning that big draw in the last minute when up a goal.

Oates' benefit to this team will lay on the ice for a long time after he leaves this team. Mentioning Comrie and Oates in the same breath is laughable in terms of their value to this team. Comrie has one value to this team...in trade and nothing else.

Old
11-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Jerky Leclerc

Oates is a great passer on the pp but teams will catch on to the fact that he doesn't shoot, ever.

Old
11-29-2003, 01:07 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Oates was talking to players about the Powerplay. He was talking to Bergeron and said to him, when I was in Washington, Gonchar did it this way. Bergeron just stood there soaking it up. That is why Bergeron parked himself in the stall next to Oates.

Wow, if Oates can mold Bergeron into a Gonchar type player, that would be awesome. And its great to hear that Bergeron is taking initiative to learn more from Oates.

Old
11-29-2003, 01:25 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

great to hear bergeron is listening to the old guys advice. bergeron has shown a willingness to learn and that makes me very impressed. i can live with his mistakes, hes young but he is eager to learn. good job bergie.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:38 PM
northern2020

who is Nealy ? Neely

Old
11-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Thanks captain obvious. Gretzky would help too but if he is unwilling to play than whats the difference. The Oilers brought in a guy that wanted to play and signed him. Comrie doesn't want to be here - there is no need to dwell on the Oilers needing Comrie.

Old
11-30-2003, 01:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

Not a savior

Quote:
But a guy that cost us approx 1.5 prorated, didn't cost us a think in regards to a player or a draft pick.

In his first game was probably the best player on the ice for the Oil.

Savior no, can he help us. Yes.

Old
11-30-2003, 01:38 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Oates is a great passer on the pp but teams will catch on to the fact that he doesn't shoot, ever.
The guy has been in the league since the time of Moses, and teams are just NOW going to catch on to the fact he's a passer?

Everyone in the league know's that he's primarily a passer, and he's still productive. He's going to be a great stop-gap for the Oilers; he's going to help get them through the year competitively. He's not going to get 90 points, and nobody expects that.

As for MC:

Here's Comrie with the toe drag...oops he loses the puck at the line. Here's Comre with the fake back pass...oops, he loses it at the line again.

He's a fine young player, but Yzerman he's not.

Old
11-30-2003, 01:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
Lets look at his stats throughout his career and you will see how ridiculous this statment actually is.

He has 339 goals and 1063 assists. How did he get the 339 goals if he never shoots the puck?

Sorry but your argument doesn't hold water. He is a great passer but that doesn't mean he NEVER shoots.

Old
11-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Sorry but your argument doesn't hold water. He is a great passer but that doesn't mean he NEVER shoots.
He scored 45 goals one season.. I tend to find that a fairly decent sign that he knows how to shoot the puck..

Old
11-30-2003, 01:45 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
He scored 45 goals one season.. I tend to find that a fairly decent sign that he knows how to shoot the puck..
They must have all went off his butt.

Closed Thread