HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Habs prospects to play for team Canada in thw WJC

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 08:53 AM
habsfan11

vCash: 500
No Habs prospects to play for team Canada in thw WJC

Hockey Canada annouced the camp roster today:
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/m...s/can_sel.html

i was suprised the Cory Urquhart wasnt invited to try out

Old
12-01-2003, 09:09 AM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_

WOW! Not even a sniff for Lambert or Uruqart... that's really interesting. I'd love to know why those guys weren't looked at, especially since they've both been lighting it up in the Q...

At least the team will be good though. Most of those guys are pretty big, and they can all skate really well. Do you guys think that was what held Uruqart, Locke, and Lambert out of the team?

Old
12-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_

I'm more surprised Locke didn't get a tryout.

Old
12-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I'm more surprised Locke didn't get a tryout.
Since Crosby and Locke have similar physiques (same height and only 10 pound difference, in favor of Crosby), maybe they didn't want two similar players... and obviously Crosby has the most skills of the two, so he was chosen.

Just an idea...

Old
12-01-2003, 10:13 AM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Locke would be useless in the WJC's other then on the powerplay and Canada is skilled in that area. He's not quick enough for the big ice surface and his defensive play is putrid.

Old
12-01-2003, 10:29 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
WOW! Not even a sniff for Lambert or Uruqart... that's really interesting. I'd love to know why those guys weren't looked at, especially since they've both been lighting it up in the Q...

At least the team will be good though. Most of those guys are pretty big, and they can all skate really well. Do you guys think that was what held Uruqart, Locke, and Lambert out of the team?
Simple. they are all from the Q. Team Canada will take players from the Q only if they are dominant. (or they'll take a few just for the sake of saying that they gave him a try).

Old
12-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Habs

How about from other countries? Do we have any prospects playing?

Old
12-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Necrophile

Kastsitsyn will not be playing since Belarus did not qualify. Which other Habs' prospects could play?

Old
12-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Kastsitsyn will not be playing since Belarus did not qualify. Which other Habs' prospects could play?
Kastitsyn will not play!!! That's bad. Why he's not Russian :mad:
Well, we will probably see Halak, Korpikari and Korneev.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:27 AM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Simple. they are all from the Q. Team Canada will take players from the Q only if they are dominant. (or they'll take a few just for the sake of saying that they gave him a try).
sad... and i hate to do it, but i agree with you. Those who excel in the Q just aren't considered to be for real unless they prove it somewhere else, with the exception of our wonderful goaltenders of course. A real shame...

Old
12-01-2003, 11:46 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
How about from other countries? Do we have any prospects playing?

Jaroslav Halak- Team Slovakia
Oskari Korpikari- Team Finland
Konstantin Korneev- Team Russia
Tomas Linhart- Team Czech

Halak should be the starter from what I'm told, and that's outstanding cause he can play again next year. He's putting up great numbers in the mens league, in the 10 games he's played.

Korneev will be one of the top defensemen on the team, and should be a key player for them, this is his 3rd trip to the WJC's.

Korpikari I'm not sure what pairing he will be on, but hopefully playing in front of his home country will bring out the best in him.

Linhart I have been told will be on the team, but don't know what role he will play.

Kastsitsyn should be there, but his team stinks. Don't know if he will play in the Group B or just stay in Russia.

Locke should have been invited to the selection camp, but small slow forwards are going to have troubles on the larger ice. He's scored more points than ANY player in the OHL in the last 10 years, but he's still got a ways to go. There aren't many better playmakers in the CHL then Locke, but they want bigger faster players and thats not Locke.

Lambert should have been invited to the selection camp, imo. He was the 5th scorer for Team Canada's U-18 team 2 years ago, and was recently 2nd in the Q in scoring. Has size, skating, speed, and a nice shot, but Steve Bernier, M-A Pouilout (i always spell it wrong), Lambert, Urquhart, Genrette (sp?), Roussin all are skilled but it's common for guys from the Q to be left out.

Urquhart- see Lambert

Old
12-01-2003, 11:46 AM
habitants9_4

Defense obviously won't be their problem

Cobourn Seabrook
Belle Klein
Phaneuf White(assuming he recovers)
George or Egener

Old
12-01-2003, 12:18 PM
PrairieHabber

After last year's loss to Russia the WJ braintrust committed to adding size and physical players...they felt they were outmuscled down by the Russians. That didn't bode well for the Habs prospects who had a chance.

Old
12-01-2003, 01:34 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam

They may be big but come on, there is a complete lack of skill on this team up front. Most of the forwards on this team are role players. I can't beleive this forward crop. By this roster they are virtualy putting almost all there offense in the hands of a 16 year old kid. While im very impressed with Crosby, there is no way he should be expected to put up all the offense. Defensivly and in net we are strong. But are forwards are gonna have a tough time putting the puck in the net. I am not very happy with the selection process.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Corey

Looking at the roster, I can see a number of first round draft choices. I don't think this team particularly needs the Habs' Canadian prospects.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:26 PM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon
They may be big but come on, there is a complete lack of skill on this team up front. Most of the forwards on this team are role players. I can't beleive this forward crop. By this roster they are virtualy putting almost all there offense in the hands of a 16 year old kid. While im very impressed with Crosby, there is no way he should be expected to put up all the offense. Defensivly and in net we are strong. But are forwards are gonna have a tough time putting the puck in the net. I am not very happy with the selection process.
If Fleury does not come for the worlds, we are not very strong in nets. Deslaurier and Daignault never prouved anything. Maybe Daingnault 2 years ago but since, he struggle. Houle, Tremblay and Crawford are in my books better. Harding and Ward, don't know much about them but I don't think it's anything special.

Old
12-01-2003, 02:54 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
If Fleury does not come for the worlds, we are not very strong in nets. Deslaurier and Daignault never prouved anything. Maybe Daingnault 2 years ago but since, he struggle. Houle, Tremblay and Crawford are in my books better. Harding and Ward, don't know much about them but I don't think it's anything special.
from what i hear/read, the other two netminders are actually spectacular... real game-stealing SOBs. Apparently Harding has been stealing games all by himself in the WHL and Cam Ward is rated VERY well by lots of folks who know goalies better than i do.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
Defense obviously won't be their problem

Cobourn Seabrook
Belle Klein
Phaneuf White(assuming he recovers)
George or Egener

Just thought I'd throw in a little comment about Seabrook. Quite possibly the dumbest young man I have ever met. His play has been so erratic, it's to the point that if Chicago wouldn't have drafted him so high, he'd have disappeared off the NHL radar. Not very well liked by his peers and his hockey sense hasn't really improved much over the last year. Of course he could be just coasting knowing that an injury could cost him $$$. Hmmmm, maybe not so dumb after all.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
i'll try to watch many Slovakian games , Halak sound like he's THE steal of the 2003 draft

Old
12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
i'll try to watch many Slovakian games , Halak sound like he's THE steal of the 2003 draft
He's THAT good???

Old
12-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
He's THAT good???
look at his numbers .

Old
12-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
look at his numbers .
He's the best junior goalie in Slovakia , he should be in the mens league next year for sure .

Quote:
Jaroslav Halak-G. Halak was acquired in the recent draft this summer, taken in the ninth round, 271st overall, after being named the top goalie in the U-18 world junior tournament, as he lead Team Slovakia to the silver. Halak is playing in the Slovak junior league, but he is playing very well, and is listed as the top goalie in that league.

Slovan
13gp

11wins
1loss
1tie
2SO

1.76 GAA
94.58 SV%

I don't say he's the next Fleury but he's a damn good 9th pick , if he keep it up he could turn into a player . Plus Slovakian are under-rated

Old
12-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
All right then...

With that record, does anybody knows what kind of team he has in front of him?

Another question... If he was the WJC's best goaltender, why was he picked in the 9th round?

Old
12-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

not WJC .. it was the under-18 tournement ... it's not the same ( WJC is almost a 19years old tournement )

Old
12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Traitor8

Question:

Is Andrei Kostsitsyn eligible to play for Russian in the upcoming WJC?

Closed Thread