HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Are we finally ready to play up to the all-star talent on this team?

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 03:35 PM
JMAN74

vCash:
Are we finally ready to play up to the all-star talent on this team?

This team for all it's talent has taken an AWFULLY long time to "mesh" together. A team with quality to star players such as Lindros,Holik,Carter,Nedved and Kovalev and two superb ofensive defenseman in Poti and Leetch
SHOULD NOT be struggling to score goals. It's pathetic really. Could this game, perhaps one of the best most- fluid against a quality team, actually be a sign of things finally coming togehter?

I'm not holding my breath, we've seen this sooo many times before. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon only to get thrown off again by the never ending bumps in the road. This team no matter what ANYONE says has more talent (and now a pretty good complement
of role players) and ALL the ingerdients (very good #1 goalie, good defense players with the right mix of finesse and grit, and a bevy of offensive forwards, along with a couple pretty good defensive forwards) than just about any team in the NHL.

Playing like this should be the norm, not the exception. But unfortunately if their is one thing this team lacked and in a big way it's been COACHING. People who think the talent is lacking in some way, will see just how well-rounded this team is IF Sather proves he is in fact still a decent coach or better. I don't think Sather is a terrible coach (we already see he's better than Trotts LOL) however the jury IMO is still out. He has enough talent that if he does a 'credible' job
this team should go very far.

Sadly if our GM actually had his had out of his @zz two years ago we'd probably ALREADY be a legitimate championship contender. We had the pick of the litter of coaches to choose from (Hitchcock,Burns,Tippett,Brooks possibly etc.) who are all probably better coaches than Sather and a couple would have been perfect fits.

Old
11-23-2003, 03:52 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Ottawa played like crap tonight.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:21 PM
JMAN74

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Ottawa played like crap tonight.

True but there's good and bad in that. The bad is they didn't play their best game so we didn't beat them atheir their best.The good is we did take advantage and played a decent game ourselves.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
My God, Ottawa was coming off 3 games in 4 nights and has played terrible over the last 10 games. The Rangers were fresh, as fresh as this team can get, and actually showed up for a whole 60 minutes. Not exactly time to hand them the cup just yet, let's see them do it a few more times, shall we?

Old
11-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

i hope they are ready to take off. but i need more than one game to really think this team is over the hump. if they win both games in the sunshine state this week than maybe we can start thinking we are out of an early season slump.

sather needs to do something about the roster. its time we got the dead weight out of here.
purinton
lundmark

Old
11-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
i hope they are ready to take off. but i need more than one game to really think this team is over the hump. if they win both games in the sunshine state this week than maybe we can start thinking we are out of an early season slump.

sather needs to do something about the roster. its time we got the dead weight out of here.
purinton
lundmark

i dont think you understand the whole principle of mixing young guys in with the vets. see, every year all the teams get together and have this thing called a draft, where they all choose young men that will hopefully be helpful to their team down the road or right away... but its usually down the road. now as these young men who were "draft" play more hockey and as time goes on to being better hockey players... or "developing." now part of the "developing" process, they must be introduced to playing in the NHL... to learn how to play effectively in the NHL.

now when you dont mix in new players with your older ones, what happens is that the older ones move on, or in almost every case with this team retirers rich, there is no "developed" young men from the "draft" to replace them. so we have to go buy some else's used junk every summer to replace them... which never works. which is why our team is.......... BAD.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN74
This team no matter what ANYONE says has more talent (and now a pretty good complement of role players) and ALL the ingerdients (very good #1 goalie, good defense players with the right mix of finesse and grit, and a bevy of offensive forwards, along with a couple pretty good defensive forwards) than just about any team in the NHL.
---I'm not sure I agree with that. There are certainly some talented players on this roster, but it's sorely lacking in balance. Too many show horses, not enough work horses. There are plenty of teams out there who, top-to-bottom, are simply better teams than the Rangers. Talent and results are different things. Malakhov, Mironov, Nedved, Poti, Lindros, Kovalev and Carter are, no doubt, talented players, but they are all too prone to taking nights off, making lazy plays that cost goals and games, taking stupid penalties, or disappearing for weeks at a time. This team has too many guys that are long on talent but short on heart, guts, and brains. That's why I can't consider this roster one of the better rosters in the league.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:39 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links

purinton
lundmark
One of the few examples where I'm glad Sather is the GM. Really what's your deal with Lundmark, he's better then half the roster.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I still don't see what Lacouture brings to the line-up if he's not killing penalties.

11-23-2003, 06:42 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
This team for all it's talent has taken an AWFULLY long time to "mesh" together. A team with quality to star players such as Lindros,Holik,Carter,Nedved and Kovalev and two superb ofensive defenseman in Poti and Leetch
SHOULD NOT be struggling to score goals. It's pathetic really. Could this game, perhaps one of the best most- fluid against a quality team, actually be a sign of things finally coming togehter?

I'm not holding my breath, we've seen this sooo many times before. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon only to get thrown off again by the never ending bumps in the road. This team no matter what ANYONE says has more talent (and now a pretty good complement
of role players) and ALL the ingerdients (very good #1 goalie, good defense players with the right mix of finesse and grit, and a bevy of offensive forwards, along with a couple pretty good defensive forwards) than just about any team in the NHL.
Rangers certainly posses a line-up that should be a playoff team, but I wouldn't say they are one of the "best" line-ups in the NHL.

At best I would have them 9th. They probably fall somewhere in the 9-12 range. Should be a playoff team, and one that should battle for home-ice advantage.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Mitchy

Right now, at home, were a solid team and give the opposing team a tough game.

On the road, we just plain suck.
And I cant believe a thread like this was made after one game. After the past roadtrip, and with another one ahead, and after the past 6 years, some people just dont get this team.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I still don't see what Lacouture brings to the line-up if he's not killing penalties.
Yeah, especially if you're going to play him with Lindros. They showed absolutely no chemistry at all out there together. But, I guess, Jackass wanted to have a "natural" LW out there to ease Lindros back into the lineup.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:41 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Yeah, especially if you're going to play him with Lindros. They showed absolutely no chemistry at all out there together. But, I guess, Jackass wanted to have a "natural" LW out there to ease Lindros back into the lineup.

Lindros and Ortmeyer showed some good chemistry late in 3rd. I would like to see Lundmark on the LW with Lindros and Ortmeyer.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39
Lindros and Ortmeyer showed some good chemistry late in 3rd. I would like to see Lundmark on the LW with Lindros and Ortmeyer.
You'd think (along with just about everyone else here) that a line of Lundmark/Lindros/Ortmeyer would have made sense tonight.
Of course, Lundmark looked good when he played RW with Lindros too. I guess we'll just have to wait for the official explanation.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:11 AM
JMAN74

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrforever
Right now, at home, were a solid team and give the opposing team a tough game.

On the road, we just plain suck.
And I cant believe a thread like this was made after one game. After the past roadtrip, and with another one ahead, and after the past 6 years, some people just dont get this team.

Did you actually READ what I wrote??? I said HOPEFULLY this will FINALLY mean of good things to come BUT Im not holding my breath. Little advice, READ before you reply.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:15 AM
JMAN74

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
---I'm not sure I agree with that. There are certainly some talented players on this roster, but it's sorely lacking in balance. Too many show horses, not enough work horses. There are plenty of teams out there who, top-to-bottom, are simply better teams than the Rangers. Talent and results are different things. Malakhov, Mironov, Nedved, Poti, Lindros, Kovalev and Carter are, no doubt, talented players, but they are all too prone to taking nights off, making lazy plays that cost goals and games, taking stupid penalties, or disappearing for weeks at a time. This team has too many guys that are long on talent but short on heart, guts, and brains. That's why I can't consider this roster one of the better rosters in the league.
Watch how a real coach (hopefully Sather is) "magically" transforms this supposed imbalanced line-up to the powerhouse it's talent dictates.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:26 AM
Laches

Quote:
Watch how a real coach (hopefully Sather is) "magically" transforms this supposed imbalanced line-up to the powerhouse it's talent dictates.
---Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Old
11-26-2003, 12:57 AM
JMAN74

vCash:
ahhh 2-0 shut out of TAMPA

at least The New York RANGERS could beat Tampa LOL.

They played another solid 60 minutes and are looking more composed each game. they aren't playing in spurts as they did even in many of their wins early on this year. This team has the "look" it's coming togehter (nothings official yet especially with the turbulent nature of this team) but Sather may have things finally headed in the right direction...BTW who the heck is this Markennen?! He looks awfully steady back there and seems to be (at the very least) an a great #2.

Old
11-28-2003, 09:15 PM
JMAN74

vCash:
Another quality win. Although they aren't consistently playing 60 min of hockey. Considering this was another road game on short rest (albeit a weak Florida team) this team has shown the ability to rise to the occasion and/or rally. That third period was a thing of beauty and this Markennen guy has the absolute look of a bonafide quality goalie ..I would have no problem letting Dunham ease back into the line-up to give his groin more time to heal).

The talent has been there..Now finally the signs are all there that they MAY start playing up to their great "potential"...You heard it hear first ,this team has top 3 talent in all the NHL. If Sather gets them to play up to their level of talent this team could go VERY far this year.

Old
11-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Another quality win. Although they aren't consistently playing 60 min of hockey. Considering this was another road game on short rest (albeit a weak Florida team) this team has shown the ability to rise to the occasion and/or rally. That third period was a thing of beauty and this Markennen guy has the absolute look of a bonafide quality goalie ..I would have no problem letting Dunham ease back into the line-up to give his groin more time to heal).

The talent has been there..Now finally the signs are all there that they MAY start playing up to their great "potential"...You heard it hear first ,this team has top 3 talent in all the NHL. If Sather gets them to play up to their level of talent this team could go VERY far this year.

I agree on pure talent we are top 3 team in the NHL.
But talent doesn´t win you games hardwork and a SYSTEM does.
Hopefully we can put the last to pieces in place because then and only then will we be seeing playoff hockey at the Garden.
I think there are no middle ground for this team.
Either we stick to our non-system non-hardworking style and fall to 10th 11th or we acctually put some effort in and we acctually do play within a system and if we do that we can get a top 3 record in the East.
I just don´t see us sneaking in at 8 we are either a top team in the East recordwise or we are an 11th-12th place team IMO.

Closed Thread