HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tom Preissing

Old
12-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Tom Preissing

Kevin Allen at USAToday (in today's chat) claims that the Sens are shopping Tom Preissing. Can anybody tell me why? Is it just because of Ottawa's impressive depth or has he been a disappointment?

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Kevin Allen at USAToday (in today's chat) claims that the Sens are shopping Tom Preissing. Can anybody tell me why? Is it just because of Ottawa's impressive depth or has he been a disappointment?
He makes $600,000, I don't think we will be trading him for anything. Any rumours to the contrary are crap IMHO.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Human Megaphone

He's probably our most tradeable asset, but given the issues we are having with Redden I don't see why we would do this. We'd just have to get another dman back.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
pitseleh

I'm guessing it's the former. He's averaging under 15 mins per game. He's probably the commodity with the most value that would hurt Ottawa's lineup the least if he were traded.

He's playing #6 minutes, a role I'm sure Schubert could fill. Assuming they could trade him in a package to upgrade in another area, they'd be willing to do it.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
He makes $600,000, I don't think we will be trading him for anything. Any rumours to the contrary are crap IMHO.

Not disputing you, Egil. But, Kevin Allen was pretty clear on this issue:

Cornwall, Ontario: With the turn around of the Ottawa Senators in November, what trades if any are you predicting for the team and the league for that matter.Kevin Allen: Tom Preissing is the name you hear around the league as the Senator most likely to be traded.

Old
12-05-2006, 06:25 PM
trentmccleary

I don't know. Maybe Ottawa wants to get something for him before he becomes a UFA and Schubert deserves a starting role.

His start was a little bumpy defensively, but he is rounding into to form.

I was ready to get rid of him earlier in the season because I didn't like seeing him AND Corvo constantly being outmuscled in front of our net. One, I could live with... but two? But things seem to be working out better now and he;s pretty solid positionally and is good at stripping pucks away.

As long as we got an offer of a serviceable #6-7 to play behind Schubert on top of something pretty good to trade him... I'd probably still do it.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
It wouldn't surprise me if he's available, but he's so cheap and productive that it just wouldn't make much sense to move him.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Egil

Quote:
Not disputing you, Egil. But, Kevin Allen was pretty clear on this issue:

Cornwall, Ontario: With the turn around of the Ottawa Senators in November, what trades if any are you predicting for the team and the league for that matter.Kevin Allen: Tom Preissing is the name you hear around the league as the Senator most likely to be traded.
We have 7 NHL calibre defenseman. Trading one of them is a terrible idea as injuries do occur. We have no credible option to replace Priessing, which would leave us with 6 defenseman. Furthermore, any trade we make involving Priessing will ADD payroll, reducing our cap room later.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 07:43 PM
superpie

Send a message via AIM to superpie
Doug Murray and a 4th

superpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 09:07 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpie View Post
Doug Murray and a 4th
No, that's not nearly enough to entice me. A 4th is what you get for players you want to dump, not players who are too good for the roles you can give them.

Also, I have two questions;
1 - Why is Doug Murray such a brittle little girl?
2 - This is an anonymous website right?... I mean, if somebody wanted to find out who was calling them a brittle little girl... they couldn't, right?

Old
12-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
We have 7 NHL calibre defenseman. Trading one of them is a terrible idea as injuries do occur. We have no credible option to replace Priessing, which would leave us with 6 defenseman. Furthermore, any trade we make involving Priessing will ADD payroll, reducing our cap room later.

Again, I'm not trying to propose anything or convince you that a trade of Priessing is a good idea. I'm just reporting what K. Allen had to say. I haven't followed the Sens closely this year (even though they are one of my favorite teams) and was just wondering what you guys thought about this.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
trentmccleary

It could very well be possible.
Preissing is better than what we need in the role, will be a UFA and Muckler may well want to get more out of the Havlat deal.

Old
12-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
The Devils could be interested. Preissing wouldn't put them over the cap, and would give them the offensively-apt d-man that they desperately need. Plus, he's American.

What would Ottawa be looking for? Would something like Lukowich ($1M) + Prospect work? The Devils don't have a lot of tradable assets other than Luko, Brylin ($1.52M), and prospects.

Last edited by Feed Me A Stray Cat: 12-06-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 02:46 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
The Devils could be interested. Preissing...
Perhaps I'm just not that creative and can't think of much we really need. But I keep thinking depth defenseman and a 1st around the trade deadline (if we can get that). A D-man we could use as our #6, but would be our #7.

However, I'm not sure that I like seeing a team so close to us in the standings and a potential #4/#5 seed opponent get better while we get worse... so the price for New Jersey is more like Parise, Zajac and 5 first rounders.

Old
12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Perhaps I'm just not that creative and can't think of much we really need. But I keep thinking depth defenseman and a 1st around the trade deadline (if we can get that). A D-man we could use as our #6, but would be our #7.

However, I'm not sure that I like seeing a team so close to us in the standings and a potential #4/#5 seed opponent get better while we get worse... so the price for New Jersey is more like Parise, Zajac and 5 first rounders.
Sorry, but you are simply not getting a first rounder for Preissing. I even think a 2nd rounder would be a stretch.

Isles got a third rounder for Lukowich last deadline. I think Lukowich was a more valuable asset at the time because he already had two cup rings and was signed to a bargin basement contract for this coming season.

Old
12-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

Well Lukowich is definitely someone who can be used as your #6 d-man. He only makes $1M, which is around $700k by now, so he won't increase salary too much.

The Devils traded their '07 first rounder to San Jose in the Malakhov salary dump, so I don't see that as a feasible course of action. Otherwise, it could work. Would something like 2008 4th + Barry Tallackson (in addition to Luko) workout? I'm not exactly sure on what the market for Preissing would be.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:07 PM
The HW

Quote:
The Devils could be interested. Preissing wouldn't put them over the cap, and would give them the offensively-apt d-man that they desperately need. Plus, he's American.

What would Ottawa be looking for? Would something like Lukowich ($1M) + Prospect work?
You know, I kinda like that suggestion. Lukowich is a guy with a good contract and some Cup experience, two things I'd be looking for. Throw in a prospect and I might consider it an upgrade over Preissing, who's maybe a little underappreciated as an offensive defenceman behind Redden, Corvo and Meszaros. I think we're unlikely to re-sign him, anyway.

I have liked Preissing's play of late. It depends on how he handles the next month or so, if he keeps getting better and proves to be worth more in a trade, or winds up untradeable. I don't think he's a crucial piece of the playoff puzzle, however.

The HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:10 PM
The HW

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure on what the market for Preissing would be.
It's hard to say. He's got that "new NHL" thing going for him. For $600k, he'd have some serious value to playoff teams with little cap space remaining... but we're not likely to trade with them. If he was going to get dealt, I imagine the most likely deal would be with a Western team for a bigger named player that a team is trying to dump for whatever reason.

The HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:26 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Sorry, but you are simply not getting a first rounder for Preissing. I even think a 2nd rounder would be a stretch.

Isles got a third rounder for Lukowich last deadline. I think Lukowich was a more valuable asset at the time because he already had two cup rings and was signed to a bargin basement contract for this coming season.
Witt- 1st
Gauthier- 2 x 2nds
Carney- 2nd
Weinrich- 3rd
Ozolinsch- 3rd
Plus, there's always the hope we get the first rounder that was one small fraction of the each of the trades for Leetch, Gonchar and Schneider.

Preissing was 28th in scoring last season and is 40th this season. I'm guessing that he should be on somebody's 1st PP unit and he can handle a regular shift too.
Now what is striking about the top scoring defensemen leaders is usually how many are spread across so few teams. In the top-30 alone, 25 of those guys are on 12 teams. I figure as many as half the teams going into the playoffs could be looking for a guy like him.

Old
12-06-2006, 03:36 PM
discostu

A little odd if he's being actively shopped, but, not completely out of left field. He's played well, IMHO. He's contributed offensively. He knows how to jump up into the rush. He's made a few defensive gaffes, but, it's hard to ignore his near league leading +/-, so, it's fair to say that he doesn't have more than his share of blunders. He's waifer thin, and doesn't play a physical game at all.

The most confusing thing about his play this year is that he doesn't seem to have the confidence of the coaching staff. His minutes are very limited, especially with all of the injuries on our blueline. On the Ottawa board, there's a thread wondering why Corvo is getting an additional 8 minutes of ice time per game.

It would be puzzling to trade him, given his low cost though. As oru 6th defenceman, on a blueline that has sustained a lot of injuries, he's doing his job.

If he's being dangled as trade bait, I could see it being done in order to bring in a more veteran presence, either up front or on defence. He's a bargain salary, but, we're far enough into the year, that Ottawa can afford to take salary back. It sees him being traded to a team that would be out of the playoff race, and is looking to unload some salary. However, his UFA status at the end of the year could see him walk.

On the other side, Preissing is a good pick up for a playoff team that has little cap space left. He's dirt cheap at $600K. For a team that wants to add to their blueline, without subtracting elsewhere, he's a perfect fit, as he's top 4 capable, and gives a team depth going into the playoffs. HOwever, if you don't want to unload a valuable asset from your team, Ottawa isn't a good fit. We'd want a player coming back to help us this season. A draft pick or prospect is not going to be well received, since Preissing right now is the face of the Havlat deal.

In terms of veteran acquisitions, I can see a Gary Roberts being a player that Ottawa would move him for. However, our depth at forward, with a guy like McAmmond suffering on the fourth line, it's not a great fit. I know earlier in the season, Kings fans were trying to unload Aaron Miller on us. I'm not sure how much game he has left, but, if he's capable of playing bottom pairing minutes, and providing leadership, he's a guy that I can see Ottawa targetting.

Last edited by discostu: 12-06-2006 at 03:56 PM. Reason: I need a thesaurus
discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Witt- 1st
Gauthier- 2 x 2nds
Carney- 2nd
Weinrich- 3rd
Ozolinsch- 3rd
Plus, there's always the hope we get the first rounder that was one small fraction of the each of the trades for Leetch, Gonchar and Schneider.

Preissing was 28th in scoring last season and is 40th this season. I'm guessing that he should be on somebody's 1st PP unit and he can handle a regular shift too.
Now what is striking about the top scoring defensemen leaders is usually how many are spread across so few teams. In the top-30 alone, 25 of those guys are on 12 teams. I figure as many as half the teams going into the playoffs could be looking for a guy like him.

Every one of the dman you listed was far more accomplished, and much better overall than Preissing. I'd rate Preissing well below Ozo, for example, and Ozo only returned a third.

And, I'm not at all sure that playoff bound teams are going to feel comfortable using a non-physical one-way guy like Preissing in a key role.

I agree that some teams will want him, I just don't think you're going to come close to get a first rounder in return.

Old
12-06-2006, 03:59 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Every one of the dman you listed was far more accomplished, and much better overall than Preissing. I'd rate Preissing well below Ozo, for example, and Ozo only returned a third.

And, I'm not at all sure that playoff bound teams are going to feel comfortable using a non-physical one-way guy like Preissing in a key role.

I agree that some teams will want him, I just don't think you're going to come close to get a first rounder in return.
Well, Ozo had just come back from an NHL substance abuse suspension the week before he was traded. Hadn't played many games to that point and wasn't exactly tearing it up.

SJ played him for 24 mins a game, 3 mins on the PK for 2 rounds of the playoffs last season.

Gonchar went for S.Morrison, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.
Leetch went for M.Kondratiev, J.Immonen, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.
Schneider went for S.Avery, M.Kuznetsov, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder

They're all way more proven, but nobody wanted them around for their defense and I just think Preissing is worth some fraction of those.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, Ozo had just come back from an NHL substance abuse suspension the week before he was traded. Hadn't played many games to that point and wasn't exactly tearing it up.

SJ played him for 24 mins a game, 3 mins on the PK for 2 rounds of the playoffs last season.

Gonchar went for S.Morrison, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.
Leetch went for M.Kondratiev, J.Immonen, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder.
Schneider went for S.Avery, M.Kuznetsov, a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder

They're all way more proven, but nobody wanted them around for their defense and I just think Preissing is worth some fraction of those.

Ozo's trade value had less to do with substance abuse and more to do with the fact that he is still under contract.

However, expecting the trade value of Gonchar, Leetch, and Schneider to inform the trade value of Pressing is a bit unrealistic. Yeah, Pressing is the same TYPE of player but that is like saying that a Hyundai and BMW both build sedans.

I'd look at Spacek as a more reasonable comparable, even though I think Spacek is a much better dman overall. Spacek is as good offensively as Pressing but much better in his own end. He returned a marginal prospect in a late season deal. I see no reason to believe Pressing would return more.

Do you honestly believe your third pairing dmen are going to be so highly sought after at the deadline that teams will give up a first round pick? I think that is quite unrealistic, to be frank.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Washington could very well be interested in the not-too-distant future, particularly if they continue their winning ways.

I have him pegged as one of the pending UFAs that they're most likely to go after. His situation in Ottawa seems much like the situation that Pothier was in last year.

I could see Washington trading for him (well before the trade deadline) to play alongside Mike Green, in exchange for picks & prospects. Then, they'll try to get him signed to a modest multi-year deal over the summer before he hits the market.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 04:19 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Ozo's trade value had less to do with substance abuse and more to do with the fact that he is still under contract.

However, expecting the trade value of Gonchar, Leetch, and Schneider to inform the trade value of Pressing is a bit unrealistic. Yeah, Pressing is the same TYPE of player but that is like saying that a Hyundai and BMW both build sedans.

I'd look at Spacek as a more reasonable comparable, even though I think Spacek is a much better dman overall. Spacek is as good offensively as Pressing but much better in his own end. He returned a marginal prospect in a late season deal. I see no reason to believe Pressing would return more.

Do you honestly believe your third pairing dmen are going to be so highly sought after at the deadline that teams will give up a first round pick? I think that is quite unrealistic, to be frank.
It's hard to find offensive defensemen being traded at the deadline.
A 1st rounder was a very small fraction of each of those trades.

The Spacek deal was an awful trade and I don't expect that to repeat often by competent GM's. Also, St.Louis and Chicago are in a unique situation to just about hand older Euro's jobs to entice them to come here.

Our similar 3rd pairing defenseman from last year got a $2.5M/year contract and is now playing 27 mins a game. I don't know who wants him or how much... but I'm quite sure he'll play a lot more and probably end up with a 1st unit PP role.

Last edited by trentmccleary: 12-06-2006 at 04:25 PM.