HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Capitals need....

Old
12-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Geogaddi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeB View Post
Paul Mara for Eric Fehr
No.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:43 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegarrett View Post
what the caps need is a 1st line center to compliment AO.
There is a big difference between want and need. A top tier center to play with Ovechkin would be great, but as is stands the Capitals score more than enough goals and Backstrom will be there next season.

On the other hand they give up way too many shots and have a competitive record in the standings because they are getting arguably the best goaltending in the league this season.

So, if the Capitals are going to acquire a good player, it need to be a defenseman.
Not a center.

Brewer for Fleischmann and conditional pick makes some sense. His style fits the Capitals needs and probably his future costs do as well.

Mara for Fehr shouldn't be rejected so quickly. At present I would suggest that Zednik is making a case to be resigned and both Pettinger and Clark are pacing ahead of their career best seasons of last season. If the Capitals kept the status quo at forward, there is not room for Fehr and trading him could make some sense.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Its also worth mentioning again that the Caps will probably be willing to spend $5m per for this player in free agency and in that case no players will have to be moved.
Is that a fact? That's news to ... everyone, actually.

Can't really make the case that they have tipped their hand in any way, shape or form. That would be quite an investment for a team that is spending the floor + $1M this year, and is adding a probable $3.9M cap hit rookie next season in Backstrom.

Short of a Leonsis statement as to any significant payroll hike intentions, does this have basis in anything other than a 'gut feeling?' Adding a $5M defenseman will vault the Caps into another payroll bracket, and likely beyond the revenue-sharing threshhold.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 08:50 AM
txpd

Ok Drake, why don't we close the thread. I was looking for some realistic options that we had not considered. $5m is the max that I see could, might happen. IT might not. Leonsis might prefer to cut some payroll before adding Backstrom.

But rather than open up a Kolzig for trade thread, I thought I would see who might be under the radar with another team, since under the radar is where McPhee shops.

I am sorry for trying.

Old
12-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

On the contrary, I think a trade thread makes sense, since that may be the team's best hope of landing, say, a top-three caliber player.

A player making $5M seems high, though, based on reassurances from ownership that the team is staying the course on rebuilding grounds, which sounds an awful lot like code for no lucrative investments in free agency. Guys in the $3M salary range are probably more realistic than $5M. That still leaves a lot of potential real estate with which to work, when seeking out possible candidates for addition, be it before the trade deadline or next summer.

Old
12-06-2006, 09:38 AM
txpd

I read the code two ways.

1. The Caps won't spend period. What that means to the team accountant exactly, I am not sure. Spending $2.5m on Pothier got them to the floor and maybe all that was.

2. The Caps will not be forced to overpay/sign bad contracts just in order to keep up. They clearly are taking the reverse of most teams in terms of marketing. They
go out of their way to hold down expectations. They don't even market Ovechkin as anything but their best player. To sell tickets or create interest they seem only willing to show what has happened and if its good, they say it was good.

So, they will not say they are willing to do something, because not doing it is translated into a lie when it was an opportunity that didn't come up.

Leonsis presented himself in a brash and promising way. He said things would get done and he backed himself into that entire Jagr mess by promising to win and promising a top skill player addition. When something doable didn't present itself, he did something dangerous that crippled his team and business for years.

Now he does the opposite. He placed no expectations on Ovechkin. While league wide he was expected to be super, the Caps said they wanted him to play the games and get experience. Next the league and its fans expected the Caps to step up and provided more expectations and Leonsis just said, nope...not changing the plan. Now they are in the playoff hunt and he says the same thing.
My guess is that they fully expected Ovechkin to be special and expected their team to compete this year, but they don't talk about it and they don't promise.
What they are really willing to do is a complete secret.

Pothier falls into that catagory too. He appears to have been a bargain. He may not be a 28:00 defenseman on a good defense squad, but he is a far better player than a 3rd pair defenseman and at $2.5m he may in the end become a downright steal.

I think the Caps would spend $5m on the player they want, but they would both look for a cheaper option if they believe in the player and would never say upfront that they were willing to go $5m or more.

For instance: Its widely reported that the Capitals were in the final cut of teams bidding on Chara and they passed when the price crossed into the area where Chara signed. Chara confirms this. Had the Caps gone public with this attempt to go $5m plus on Chara, the resulting signing of Pothier would have been a bigger disappointment than it was when it happened.

I don't know what they are doing. What I do see though, is their rebuild plan is moving a long a lot faster for a total tear down/rebuild than other teams in the same boat.

Old
12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Atlas

The Caps are definitely gonna be needing to add a top 3 defenseman to the mix. Trouble is there are so few of those guys available via trade. If you have one why trade him? I think even GMGM would say he has had a hard time acquiring defensemen. We were spoiled in DC for a long time with rock solid defensive players.

Thanks goodness for Mike Green. I would certainly dangle Steve Eminger (tho maybe he's starting to turn the corner?). Maybe Eminger & and a 2nd gets you nice player from Nashville or someplace.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Victory Ali*

Would a Morrison and Salo interest the Caps? There's a lot of players on your roster I'd like to see in a Canuck jersey.

Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
I think if Ted spent 3-5 million on a defenseman, the money would be made back in increased ticket sales and playoff revenue.

I heard that a team makes about 1 million for every game they play in the postseason. Is this true?

The Caps used to sell a lot of tickets--because they were competitive. I think Ted knows that in order to make money you have to spend it...shrewdly. If we do the "100% build from within" thing, we'd have to wait for one of Schultz, Pokulok, Finley, etc to become a legit top 4 dman, which would take a while.

I find it nearly impossible to believe that Ted won't augment the defense through trade or free agency.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Darth Milbury

Maybe the Caps could pry Adiran Aucoin out of Chicago? He has not exactly lit the world on fire in Chicago, but could still be a top pairing dman if paired with a steady partner.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Maybe Fehr and a pick + an ok prospect for Stuart instead of Mara? (though I think the Caps would want assurances that he might be open to resign)

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't believe anyone doubts the Caps will look to bolster their defense, but there is some debate as to whether a true top-pairing defenseman is in their plans/budget.

I could easily see them go shopping for another $2-3M player who slots in many teams' #4 slot or even #3.

Aucoin probably makes too much for this club, though he would certainly be obtainable.

RE: B. Stuart for Fehr+ ... you don't get assurances in deals like this. The onus is on the acquiring team to get a deal done, after the fact, assuming all the risk. It's the primary factor determining trade value.

Old
12-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Thrasher King 18*

Send a message via MSN to Thrasher King 18* Send a message via Yahoo to Thrasher King 18*
I think Washington needs some D so look to Colorado for that, Ive been hearing that there looking to move someone sense leopold is back and they have been healthy scratching Karl Skrastins

Thrasher King 18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
txpd

Drake, I think its commonplace for a team nearing consumation of a trade for a player with an expiring contract to ask for permission to speak with the player/agent prior to the trade particularly if signing an extention is crucial to the deal.

That permission is not always granted, but it happens. It certainly happens enough for the Capitals to talk to Stuart's agent and find out if Stuart would be open to signing with the team in a basic budget range. If Stuart says he want to play on the west coast and would not sign in the east regardless, then they have their answer.

Adrian Aucoin is certainly familiar with the eastern conference way of life. He probably is too pricey for the Caps and Cullimore may be too slow.

I think Stuart is a guy at the top of what the Caps have in mind.
We have been told that the Caps had a deal set for a defenseman this summer. That the GM involved then changed his mind and offered a different defenseman who the Caps then passed on. The defenseman offered was then traded somewhere else.

My guess is that it was Morris the Caps were talking about and it was Mara that was offered instead. With that in mind, I think the Caps would pass on Mara.

Old
12-06-2006, 03:16 PM
CDJ

Mara for Clark

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:23 PM
txpd

teams don't generally trade their team captain and I would say that it would be unlikely washington has any interest in doing that here. Clymer they would trade.
Clark they won't.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:08 PM
flannelman
goodbye.

I see Stuart testing FA next summer. Boston will hold on to Mara and his 3 mill.

Chimaera, is that Johnny Erskine?

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post

Chimaera, is that Johnny Erskine?
Heck yeah!

The Man the Myth!

Old
12-06-2006, 07:58 PM
John Belushi

vCash: 50
Salo and Morrison (to set up AO) for Sutherby, Eminger and Fleishmann/Fehr/Bourque+2nd

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Mo27 View Post
Salo and Morrison (to set up AO) for Sutherby, Eminger and Fleishmann/Fehr/Bourque+2nd

No chance.

Taking away a defenseman to add a defenseman doesn't make a ton of sense.

I'd be willing to add Salo, but no real desire to add Morrison at this point.

Old
12-06-2006, 09:08 PM
CapeB

What about:
Paul Mara for Fleishmann

Given Washington's depth on the LW, Fleishmann won't be used to his capacity. He would be a great fit in BOston- given their lack of Depth in natural LW prospects. Boston could also throw in Krejci and/or rights to Zinovjev for Fleishmann +.

Last edited by CapeB: 12-06-2006 at 09:14 PM.
CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:13 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Nick Schultz for Patrick MacNeill and a pick

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeB View Post
What about:
Paul Mara for Fleishmann

Given Washington's depth on the LW, Fleishmann won't be used to his capacity. He would be a great fit in BOston- given their lack of Depth in natural LW prospects. Boston could also throw in Krejci and/or rights to Zinovjev for Fleishmann +.
If that was the deal straight out, I think McPhee would jump all over it.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Sutherby for Malik

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 10:27 PM
The Viking Fury

I hear lilja is a tad pissed in detroit.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote