HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is Going To Replace Koivu?

Old
12-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Ape Clutch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Who is Going To Replace Koivu?

When he retires?

I read another post about what are we going to do when he goes down for X number of games... nevermind that!

What are we going to do when he retires! We don't even have a center that can do his job (1st line) when he's out... so who's going to do it?

Man Koivu is going to start getting worse in 2 more seasons... at most...when he begins his decline...who is going to take his place?

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
When he retires?

I read another post about what are we going to do when he goes down for X number of games... nevermind that!

What are we going to do when he retires! We don't even have a center that can do his job (1st line) when he's out... so who's going to do it?

Man Koivu is going to start getting worse in 2 more seasons... at most...when he begins his decline...who is going to take his place?
I think koivu is one of those guys that will extend his career by transforming his game into a checking role. He's a realy heady player. But for now, he still has his hands.

And if you are right and koivu's play declines in 2 years, I think its impossible to determine who will replace him. 2 years is an absolute eternity in the capped NHL. There is such high turnover now.... who knows?

To me, saku is showing no signs of slowing down so this issue isn't even on my radar.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Clumsyhab

He's on pace for his best season in terms of points
However, I think you are right. Not many players with a small frame like him have been good past 35.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 06:29 AM
imnothere

Grabovski !

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
probably a UFA or trade ...
some names.. lecavalier, crosby,thornton,marleau and yes. maybe one of our own prospect !

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I still think Koivu has some good years left. Look at some other older guys doing well.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:22 AM
VGTvidz

That's why we should try to teach Higgins how to be a good center... we have plenty of wingers

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Poochie_D

Crosby will be a Hab by the time Koivu slows down.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
Grabovski !

That's what I was thinking/hoping.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Looking at our prospect depth, I think the solution is going to come from UFA or a big trade. Lecavalier next contract perhaps? Grabo looks promising, but first line center? Who knows, but I won't hold my breath.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Subban Fan

We're gonna sign Briere for 5 years this summer...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Kafka

Maxwell seems to be the kind of center that might replace Koivu one day. Also, considering LeCavalier contract is ending in less than three years now and since he looked (after the lock out) interested in coming to Montreal one day, I could fit in.... so would Crosby, but only in 6-7 years.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzeleid View Post
Grabovski !
he will be our #2 center on the line with the kostitsyn brothers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
yeah crosby will be here in 5-6 years, right before koivu retires, so saku can still play on the 3rd line

fantasies aside, Koivu is in fact on pace for his best season yet, and i do beleive he has at least 2-3 great years left to offer. he is a great player, and his career has been hampered by knee injury and cancer, now he is healthy, and he is showing us that he is still that great player!

but yes we still need help at center, notice that at the draft all we took was Defensemen and centers... Maybe ben maxwell will turn into a superstar, maybe the guy we pick this year in the first round will be a superstar.maybe even Higgins! that is too far in the future to tell, but im sure Gainey will take care of buissiness as he always does.

for now, lets enjoy all that koivu has to offer, and be thankfull for the man and player that he is.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 10:05 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Why everyone thinks Crosby will be a Hab when he gets UFA? For all we know, he could enjoy Pittsburgh enough to stay there. Remember Mario?

Anyways, I think that Grabo could pretty much end up as our 1st line center in a couple years.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Habs _Fan

How can we know? His contract end in 3 years. What can happened in 3 years? Just look at this team 3 seasons ago....

Saku Koivu, Richard Zednik, Yanic Perreault, Jan Bulis, Andrei Markov, Patrice Brosebois, Niklas Sundstrom, Andreas Dackell, Donald Audette, Craig Rivet, Joe Juneau, Randy Mckay, Mike Ribeiro, Chad Kilger, Mariusz Czerkawski, Marcel Hossa, Patrick Traverse, Stephane Quintal, Jason Ward, Karl Dykhuis, Francis Bouillon, Bill Lindsay, Gordie Dwyer, Mike Komisarek, FranÁois Beauchemin, Ron Hainsey, Sylvain Blouin, Jose Thťodore, Mathieu Garon, Eric Fichaud, Jeff Hackett.

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
22SteveBegin22

Chipchura? Everybody says leadership qualities/character are one of his strong suits.

If not, maybe we can coax Beliveau out of retirement. After Koivu, anything less would be a drop off in leadership.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
When he retires?

Oh Please , who do you think ?
His first name starts with M and his last starts with G..hmmm ?

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
oh yeah!

we better keep some cap space when the guy turns RFA, we offer him the max for 15 years so that the pens let him go and we keep him forever.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Saku has been playing better every year imo. This season is imo the best hockey Saku has ever played. The NHL seems far more competitive now (for players to get into). Even when your facing a bad team, they aren't that bad a team. There's just too many good teams.

I remember back in the day. When a team didn't make the play offs, it was obvious why. Lack of talent, bad coaching, not disciplined. But now a days you see good teams struggling to make it by.

Examples: Pittsburgh/Ottawa/Etc

These teams are good. But they're struggling in the NHL. There's no lack of talent in the talent pool of the NHL. All teams now a days have solid players. Therefore it's harder to win games. When you have a team like ours with some of the best PP/PK percentages in the NHL. That's two things. Coaching/Leadership.

Stats in hockey honestly mean **** all. You can have a guy like Radek Bonk, he doesn't put up a lot of points but he is essential in our PK(hence stopping goals, hence making us win).

This is why Koivu is such a good captain. He's good at face offs, he's good at playing both ways, he can put the puck in the net when it counts, and he's solid play maker. None of that's going to change in age other then his speed(which will directly effect his scoring chances but still).

We're talking about a guy who came here from Finland, played for our team and became captain and hasn't looked back ever since. He's been through so much here in Montreal and he keeps coming back. That shows a lot of heart and I respect him more then any other player on our team.

I'd rather Koivu be our captain even when he isn't putting up points because STATS DON'T MEAN JACK.

Props to Koivu. He's the best Habs Captain since I was born.
Props to Quintal. He was a solid D almost my entire life of watching hockey.
Rivet too.

There are many players who played for the habs in recent time who are highly respected among the NHL. But what about the ones who are respected most here in Montreal?? I don't know if Quintal ever hit the Hall of Fame or if Rivet is going to. But being a solid defensemen for your entire career in the NHL > Glory hogs like Ryder.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
yeah crosby will be here in 5-6 years, right before koivu retires, so saku can still play on the 3rd line

fantasies aside, Koivu is in fact on pace for his best season yet, and i do beleive he has at least 2-3 great years left to offer. he is a great player, and his career has been hampered by knee injury and cancer, now he is healthy, and he is showing us that he is still that great player!

but yes we still need help at center, notice that at the draft all we took was Defensemen and centers... Maybe ben maxwell will turn into a superstar, maybe the guy we pick this year in the first round will be a superstar.maybe even Higgins! that is too far in the future to tell, but im sure Gainey will take care of buissiness as he always does.

for now, lets enjoy all that koivu has to offer, and be thankfull for the man and player that he is.
IMO: Higgins IS a superstar. It's just a matter of time before he proves it to everyone.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I think most clubs with strong developpement staff know which young player will eventually make an impact. Just like most teachers know which students will do what (generally, there are some exceptions of course). The Canadiens know how to bring up young players, we've all seen it with Plekanec, Ribeiro, Ryder, Komisarek, Perezhogin and Higgins. That's a pretty good track record and we've all seen how some of these veterans have rounded up their games(Bonk, Koivu, etc). I think most organisationnal needs will be dealt with from within the club.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail Grabovsky View Post
Oh Please , who do you think ?
His first name starts with M and his last starts with G..hmmm ?
What about that dude whose name starts with a C and who last name starts with a H. Chris Higgins, sure you know the guy!

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
What about that dude whose name starts with a C and who last name starts with a H. Chris Higgins, sure you know the guy!
Don't know if you know who C.H. is ? but so far in my book he is a WINGER.

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:36 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
We were more thinking in terms of 1st line center. Higgins may be the next captain, but I think MG will be our next 1st line center.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
SOLR

Right now Id say Maxwell is the most likely replacement in-house, but we still have what, at least 2 more drafts to ensure hes being replaced. Then theres trades and UFA's. With the very deep draft pool this year, im quite sure the accent will put on centers, we def need a special talent in the middle. I'll bet its our first pick, unless that first pick(along with some players) is traded for just that, a center.

Maxwell is the prototype Timmins prospect, very high hockey IQ, no big identifiable flaws and good all around qualities. If Timmins continues to draft like that we will be in a exceptionally good position soon. The new NHL is not just about raw speed, its about wise players that can play well at that speed. Curiously, that parallel between most timmins prospects did not yet made it to the mainstream medias to this date, but he is known to be one of the most IQ oriented evaluator in the league.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote