HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodeur vs Roy ?

View Poll Results: Brodeur or Roy ?
Brodeur 29 36.25%
Roy 43 53.75%
That dog who eats pucks in the Canadian tire commercial ... 13 16.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2006, 09:44 AM
BORAT

vCash: 500
Brodeur vs Roy ?

I mean sure ... looking at it now ... Brodeur has 10 more years to go if you look at Hasek ...

but lets discuss it ... Never in his career has Brodeur's job been threatened, he's a team guy, a nice guy !

He doesn't have that mean insane Aura that Roy had, and the only time they met, Roy schooled the guy ...

so bottom line ... Roy or Brodeur ...

we let the people decide ...

Back to you Anderson Cooper !

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:46 AM
BORAT

the dog is off to an early lead !! Wawa wee waa ! watch out most valuable primate !

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Fire Everyone
Especially you

Roy = 3x Conn Smythe winner
Brodeur = 0x Conn Smythe winner

Enough said.

EDIT : Don't get me wrong, I don't think that every goaltender who has won a Conn Smythe is better than Brodeur. Cam Ward, for example, has yet to prove his 2006 playoffs performance was more than a flash in the pan. That being said, Roy won it three times and that means a lot, not to mention he was a great regular season performer as well. Given the choice between Brodeur and Roy (both in their prime obviously), I choose Roy every single time. The goal is to win the Cup and Roy is the better playoff performer.

Last edited by Fire Everyone: 12-06-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Fire Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Habitants

Brodeur will finish his career with more wins
it is a tough choice..

so i voted for the dog, he is amazing!
BG get HIM in our net!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
terreur

For now: Roy is ahead of Brodeur. But Brodeur still has many good seasons left. We never know what could happen.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:26 AM
felixd

I'm more of a fan of Roy. Nothing against Brodeur, but I loved Roy's cockiness and attitude.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post

Enough said.
agreed.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Regular season:

Martin Brodeur--------vs--------Patrick Roy

14.................Seasons................19
460..................Wins................551
249.................Losses...............315
2.21.................GAA................2.54
19985...............Shots..............28353
0.912................Sv%...............0.910
83...................ShO..................66

Playoffs:

Martin Brodeur--------vs--------Patrick Roy

89...................Wins................151
64..................Losses................94
1.89.................GAA................2.30
3524................Shots...............7149
0.921................Sv%...............0.918
21...................ShO..................23
3....................Cups..................4
0................Conn Smythe...............3

Source: http://www.hockeygoalies.org/

Wow! Look at Brodeur's GAA! Hold on a second.

Let's try looking at everything.

Martin Brodeur's fist season was in 1993-94.

Roy started in 1985-86. Now let's look at the seasons that Brodeur missed, and Roy had to go through...

85-86: Wayne Gretzky was the scroring leader with 215pts. Neil Broten was 10th with 105.

86-87: Gretzky lead the league with 183pts and 7 players had over 100 pts.

87-88: Mario Lemieux won the scoring title with 168pts while Michel Goulet finished 10th with 106.

88-89: Lemieux again with 199pts and 9 players had over 100pts.

89-90: Gretzky took back the scoring lead with 142pts. Adam Oates finished 10th with 102pts.

90-91: Gretzky again with 163pts with Steve Larmer 10th with 101.

91-92: Lemieux storms back with 131pts and again, 9 players had over 100pts.

92-93: Lemieux had 160pts and with 123pts, Mark Recchi finished 10th!

And then came Brodeur (lucky him)!

Now add to that the overtime and shootout wins which count in the totals and you have Patrick Roy as undisputed heavy weight champion!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:00 PM
AD

Brodeur is a consistent fantastic goalie. But If it all came down to 1 game. 1 game to seal the fate of humanity.

I would choose Roy. He just wants it more. His insane thirst for victory is incredible.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Roy really is a no brainer on this one. I can't stand the man as a person, but he is undoubtedly the greatest playoff goaltender in the history of the NHL. There is another level that Roy can play at that Brodeur simply cannot reach, as a matter of fact the only goaltender that I have seen play at the same level is Dominik Hasek in his prime, but even then he would inevitably choke at some point in the playoffs.

Brodeur has had the good fortune of being part of a tremendous organization that has ALWAYS put defensive hockey as their top priority. Not to mention the luxury of playing behind Stevens and Niedermayer for years.

Brodeur is a good goaltender but he is very overrated much like Ken Dryden was, although Dryden can claim that he carried his team to a Stanley Cup.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:56 PM
ari1160

i say brodeur..... he will have a better number then roy but roy just want to win every game.... nothing beats his attitude...and i think every player should be like roy... if u really want to win u act like roy...

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
tinyzombies

HARD choice.

Roy raised his game when it mattered, won with two defense-first teams and two powerhouses in Colorado.

Brodeur is more consistent all the time, but when he struggled in 2001 he found a way to correct his technical errors and finished strong for the Cup win. That was an impressive example of mental toughness.

Both are cocky and both backed it up.

Very different styles, but similar results. Put Patrick Roy on New Jersey all those years and his numbers would be better too.

Very very tough choice, but my gut instinct tells me that Roy is better when he was in those zones where he raised his game. He was completely unbeatable when he was like that and everyone knew it. That's a special quality. Brodeur gets like that sometimes, but not to the same degree. But Brodeur was more consistent.

I'll take the hot hand, because that can carry any team to a Cup. Consistency is fine, but not if you want to steal a Cup.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Unthinkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post

Enough said.

EDIT : Don't get me wrong, I don't think that every goaltender who has won a Conn Smythe is better than Brodeur. Cam Ward, for example, has yet to prove his 2006 playoffs performance was more than a flash in the pan. That being said, Roy won it three times and that means a lot, not to mention he was a great regular season performer as well. Given the choice between Brodeur and Roy (both in their prime obviously), I choose Roy every single time. The goal is to win the Cup and Roy is the better playoff performer.
Hold the phone a second. Martin Brodeur was totally jobbed out of the Conn Smythe in 2003 when the award went to JS Giguere for his stellar play in the first 3 rounds of the SC playoffs. Once the finals started, Giguere's impenetrable goals against wall came crumbling down around him when a Devils team long lombasted for being offensively challenged suddenly were scoring goalst at will against him from all over. Look at the number of shutouts Brodeur pitched in the finals that year when the games mattered most. Besides this, since when did Conn Smythe awards voted on by sports writers mean more then Stanley Cups in the grand scheme of things? Brodeur has been amazing this season with a less then stellar defense in front of him most nights and an offense that more often than not stops after 2 goals a night. Thats about as slim a margin of error as a goalie can get when deciding outcomes in close games. Many fans boldly predicted his demise prematurely when Stevens, Niedermayer, and Daneyko all left the organization. He was supposed to have been exposed as a fraud benefitting primarly from the stellar defense in front of him, but it never did come to fruition despite the critical claims. Brodeur is on pace to shatter virtually every record Roy has set and has won olympic gold to boot. I don't ever get the mentality behind the Brodeur is overrated threads that always seem to crop up on HF. Makes no sense.

Unthinkable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

As great as Brodeur is in the playoffs, Patrick Roy was arguably the greatest big-game hockey player ever to step onto NHL ice. He elevated his game at the most important times and was literally a stone wall in the net.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:29 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
As great as Brodeur is in the playoffs, Patrick Roy was arguably the greatest big-game hockey player ever to step onto NHL ice. He elevated his game at the most important times and was literally a stone wall in the net.
I think the most impressive thing about his career were those 10 overtime wins in 93. That was just mind-boggling.

Old
12-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
I think the most impressive thing about his career were those 10 overtime wins in 93. That was just mind-boggling.
There's a reason I have his picture as my Avatar.

Brodeur is a great goalie but people need to remember that he played for New Jersey his whole career. Did you notice he really didn't have to do anything tonight? Trap hockey padded his stats.

Roy played for an average Montreal team every year he was here and carried us to the cup twice. He also went on to great success (lol Borat) in Colorado.

If you take everything into consideration, Roy has to be the best choice.

IMO the top three goalies in the last few years have been:

1) Roy
2) Hasek
3) Brodeur

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 12:41 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
There's a reason I have his picture as my Avatar.

Brodeur is a great goalie but people need to remember that he played for New Jersey his whole career. Did you notice he really didn't have to do anything tonight? Trap hockey padded his stats.

Roy played for an average Montreal team every year he was here and carried us to the cup twice. He also went on to great success (lol Borat) in Colorado.

If you take everything into consideration, Roy has to be the best choice.

IMO the top three goalies in the last few years have been:

1) Roy
2) Hasek
3) Brodeur
Roy played the first part of his career for trap teams too.

You aren't going to like this, but I think Hasek is the best goalie of all time, but Roy had the better career. Roy was equal to Hasek, but only when he was hot.

Old
12-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
HARD choice.

Roy raised his game when it mattered, won with two defense-first teams and two powerhouses in Colorado.

Brodeur is more consistent all the time, but when he struggled in 2001 he found a way to correct his technical errors and finished strong for the Cup win. That was an impressive example of mental toughness.

Both are cocky and both backed it up.

Very different styles, but similar results. Put Patrick Roy on New Jersey all those years and his numbers would be better too.

Very very tough choice, but my gut instinct tells me that Roy is better when he was in those zones where he raised his game. He was completely unbeatable when he was like that and everyone knew it. That's a special quality. Brodeur gets like that sometimes, but not to the same degree. But Brodeur was more consistent.

I'll take the hot hand, because that can carry any team to a Cup. Consistency is fine, but not if you want to steal a Cup.
I generally agree with Raketheleaves on this one, Brodeur is more consistent than Roy was, but Roy was able to carry a team on his back and lead them to the promised land, I mean Cup.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 06:07 AM
wedge

I would take Roy before Brodeur

but I would take Hasek before Roy... Just because he played for a so-so team in Buffalo, Hasek's amazing seasons always seem forgotten. But the guy totally dominated the league. Roy dominated the goalies before Hasek came in. Hasek dominated the LEAGUE!!!

wedge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 07:47 AM
DevilsFan38

I know I'm a Devs fan, not a Habs fan, but I was perusing your forum after last night's game and I just wanted to throw my two cents in here.

If you'd pick Roy over Brodeur for one, must-win game I can understand that. As much as I don't like Roy he was a great big game goalie. Personally, I'd pick Brodeur because I think he's just as good as coming up big in the big games (right toe save on Brett Hull, anybody?), but I think that's a judgement call.

However, if you're picking a goalie for a season or an entire career, I don't understand how you could pick Roy over Brodeur. Unlike Roy, Marty has always been a team-first player. He's taken less money to stay with the Devils so they could use the money to sign better players. And he's been very loyal to the organization, stating that he wants to spend his whole career as a Devil. He's consistent, a workhorse, a leader, and plays his best when the games matter the most.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I know I'm a Devs fan, not a Habs fan, but I was perusing your forum after last night's game and I just wanted to throw my two cents in here.

If you'd pick Roy over Brodeur for one, must-win game I can understand that. As much as I don't like Roy he was a great big game goalie. Personally, I'd pick Brodeur because I think he's just as good as coming up big in the big games (right toe save on Brett Hull, anybody?), but I think that's a judgement call.

However, if you're picking a goalie for a season or an entire career, I don't understand how you could pick Roy over Brodeur. Unlike Roy, Marty has always been a team-first player. He's taken less money to stay with the Devils so they could use the money to sign better players. And he's been very loyal to the organization, stating that he wants to spend his whole career as a Devil. He's consistent, a workhorse, a leader, and plays his best when the games matter the most.

I think everyone is saying the same thing. You can't go wrong with either guy really.

I think Brodeur's scrambly hybrid old-school style calls for a different kind of defensive scheme though. The Devils have always jammed the crease a lot and Brodeur does a lot of lying down. His style is kind of similar to Hasek's actually.

Roy's teams usually try to make the guy shoot from a bit farther out I think. But Roy's style was a more predictable than Marty, who will change things up to fool shooters.

I don't know exactly how, but I remember that Buffalo also tried to force shooters to particular areas that Hasek felt comfortable with, then they'd just let people shoot from there because they knew Dom had it in the bag.

So, the team defense is really built around the goalie's strengths.

In the New NHL, you have a lot of transition offense, but most of the scoring last year was done by big guys keeping the puck in the enlarged offensive zones. So, it's a bit of both. And now that guys can just stand in front of the net all day, I think that plays to both Roy and Marty's strengths, because it's almost impossible to score down low on them.

You'd just have to gear your defense differently.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-07-2006 at 10:26 AM.