HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 06/12/06 Montreal @ New Jersey 7:30PM EST RDS

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2006, 10:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
The Habs played a bad game. Aebischer saved the day. Again, goaltending saves the day. It's always the same thing.
Actually if you go back and read the thread, we played a great game up until about the halfway point of the third period when they scored. It's funny how people have such selective memories.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
How many times have we gone to overtime anyway? It's getting ridiculous.
You'd prefer to not get a point?

Old
12-06-2006, 10:42 PM
madbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
Let's all pray that Markov plays tomorrow night. He usually plays about 24 strong minutes a night and we need him.
Bouillon played almost 23 minutes too many... please God let Markov be alright for the Isles.

Niinimaa wasn't horrible tonight, and have to say, I was surprised. Especially when the puck took a totally whack bounce off the glass right to the slot infront of Aebi and Niinimaa lauched himself across the ice to deflect it.
Aebi also played alright, his technique just freaks me out a lot.

Old
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Are you serious?
yea im serious... hes a playmaker... sure he pissed me off all last yr .. but pleks is not ready for 2nd line duties.. i thought that last yr ...and well am i right? pleks had good chemistry with perez in the playoffs.. i jus think that ribs shoulda got another chance... to play with kovalev n sammy.. i mean ****.. i dont think im the only one who things that .. he couldnt make the second line any worse!!

and he actually thru his body around last yr in the playoffs..

Old
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
we played a great game up until about the halfway point of the third period when they scored.
The team wasn't playing great. Not only were the Devils outshooting the Habs, they also had a lot more scoring chances. Aebischer kept the Habs in the game all night.

Quote:
You'd prefer to not get a point?
Yes. I'm against teams getting a point for a loss.

However, that wasn't my point. It almost seems this team can never finish its opponent before going to overtime. This isn't a good sign, especially when you consider opposing teams dominate us most of the time during the overtime period. Goaltending has saved us so many times this year, it's crazy.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Actually if you go back and read the thread, we played a great game up until about the halfway point of the third period when they scored. It's funny how people have such selective memories.
Also don't forget, that's New Jersey's game, and on their turf. If you had told me 4 hours ago that they'd come out of NJ with a point, I'd have been happy. They've built their whole franchise around a strategy that makes the other team look like they're lazy. It's almost impossible to make a cross-ice or a long forward pass against them, so you get a chippy game with lots of starts and stops. The team that stormed back against against Boston is the real Hab team.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
yea im serious... hes a playmaker... sure he pissed me off all last yr .. but pleks is not ready for 2nd line duties.. i thought that last yr ...and well am i right? pleks had good chemistry with perez in the playoffs.. i jus think that ribs shoulda got another chance... to play with kovalev n sammy.. i mean ****.. i dont think im the only one who things that .. he couldnt make the second line any worse!!

and he actually thru his body around last yr in the playoffs..
In my opinion, Ribeiro folded up like a cheap accordion and couldn't step up to the plate when Koivu went down.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Huh, no. Not only were the Devils outshooting the Habs, they also had a lot more scoring chances. Aebischer kept the Habs in the game all night.
Yeah that tends to happen when the other team has a 5-on-3 and you take three penalties in the first as opposed to the other team taking zero.

It's not like they played our best game of the year (far from it) but I don't think they were the trainwreck it sounds like you're describing them to be.

Regarding Ribeiro, doesn't anybody remember the pre-season/training camps, where the chemistry wasn't there at all either and everybody targeted Ribs as the problem?

Old
12-06-2006, 10:48 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
I was just waiting for posts like these to come around as soon as we lost two straight.

Hell the fact that it took us 27 games to lose two straight (and we still managed to get a point) should tell you something about the character of this team, but some people would just rather wallow in negativity.

Obviously we have things we need to improve upon but geez, take it easy with the drama.

Actually, you see negative posts when we're on a winning streak. The negativity surrounding this team has been almost constant, likely because we get too many wins like the one against Toronto on Sat. Too many wheeww. WE stole that one. Eventually, that catches up to you. The NHL is too tough of a league for that situation not to turn against us. I still have a feeling that a two game losing streak can turn into three or more. However,

The reasons I have faith in this team:

Higgins is injured. How well did N.J. do last year without Elias? We're doing okay without one of our BEST players, not too many teams can lose a top line guy and not have it affect them.

Huet: He'll come back strong against NYI and will keep this team afloat throughout the rest of the year.

Koivu: our leader.

The third line.

Our Specialty teams.

Markov.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:48 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
In my opinion, Ribeiro folded up like a cheap accordion and couldn't step up to the plate when Koivu went down.
i agree with u there... but im talkin 2nd line center

Old
12-06-2006, 10:49 PM
RC51

I hate to bring this one up.

It's 1-0 MTL, theirs 13 minutes left in the game and White bats the puck with his hand over the glass, no tip off the glass.

NO CALL. The Ref explains to Koivu why? WHAT DID HE SAY?????

In such a close game, even a little thing can change things around.

Would have been a two man PP, after all they got one in the first, so why on earth did the Habs not get thiers???

It might not explain why the habs lost, but it might explain why the Habs did not win outright.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I hate to bring this one up.

It's 1-0 MTL, theirs 13 minutes left in the game and White bats the puck with his hand over the glass, no tip off the glass.

NO CALL. The Ref explains to Koivu why? WHAT DID HE SAY?????

In such a close game, even a little thing can change things around.

Would have been a two man PP, after all they got one in the first, so why on earth did the Habs not get thiers???

It might not explain why the habs lost, but it might explain why the Habs did not win outright.
NJ commentator said it must be shot out for a penalty to be called. I'm not sure whether that interpretation is correct.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
what r u kidding me... i just watch him keep the habs in the game... save after save... n elias with a bomb from the point... and u blame aebi.. u make me sick man..
This is nothing new, he can't see the forest for the trees.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
they need to get Kovalev and Samsonov going or were in trouble.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Regarding Ribeiro, doesn't anybody remember the pre-season/training camps, where the chemistry wasn't there at all either and everybody targeted Ribs as the problem?
I think it's safe to say that Ribs wasn't solely the problem on that line. I think the Habs miscalculated how the Sammy-Kovy situation was going to work. They wanted Ribs to set them up for goals. I even remember one game when Ribs had like 4 shots on net while Sammy and Kovy had 1 combined people were wondering why Ribs was getting/taking the shots? Because Sammy doesn't shoot the puck. He's almost never in scoring position to shoot it anyway. He and Kovy are perimetre players. We need a scoring centre there. Ribs wasn't it and neither is Pleks. Ribs missed so many scoring opportunities last year against the 'Canes it was so frustrating. Our 2nd line would be no better with Ribs, we'd just have someone else to complain about.

Scoring centres by the way are nearly impossible to find, unless we move Higgins to centre.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
MathMan

Quote:
The Habs played a bad game. Aebischer saved the day. Again, goaltending saves the day.
I don't really think the Habs played such a bad game, myself. Neither did the commentators.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
@ westcoast

You're right, I didn't mean to imply that Ribeiro was entirely to blame and that the line would be gold as soon as you took him out of the equation...but it's not like the line was significantly better WITH him on it either. At least, it didn't appear to be.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:07 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
This is nothing new, he can't see the forest for the trees.
It was a 4-on-3 so there weren't that many trees. It looked to me like he thought Rafalski at the point was going to shoot. I'm pretty sure he faked the shot and made a quick pass to Elias instead. The fake shot put Aebi on his knees and he shuffled on them across his crease to try to stop Elias shot. Aebi's still on his knees so Elias had a huge hole up top, and all day to hit it, and that where he put the puck. Aebi has a really scary playing style. He's always flopping around. Not at all calm back there like Huet is.

We needed to win that draw. Oh well, we probably would have lost in the shoot-out anyway.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Take Rivet out back and put him out of his misery. He's finished. Apparently someone flushed what little talent he had, along with his pair of balls, down the toilet in the offseason.

Bouillion was absolute crap. At least one major turnover a period and he's useless infront of the net.

While Sammy might not be doing much, he can't be worse than Kovalev who should get called out by Carbo IMO. If he's playing hurt, put him on IR once Higgins gets back and make Kovy work his way back into the lineup from the 4th line up.

What is Murray still doing here? He doesnt hit anymore, doesn't skate, and makes stupid decisions left right and center. I think it's time for Ferland to get a dozen games in. If that doesn't work, then bring Lapierre in. Murray is bringing Begin down because Steve can't look for the big forechecking hits for fear that he leave Murray with anymore responsibility than looking like a buffoon.

Koivu will get a pass because he was being watched by the #1 checking line in the league but his lack of consistency isn't helping.

We looked like the geriatric Leafs of the early millenium in the last 5-10 minutes.
What about Komi....Souray....Dandy.....all stunk right? Niinama was the only one...lol...finally.
Carbo is making a big mistake if he thinks Souray's another Bobby Orr. The guy's a shooter not a rushing defenseman like Orr. He can't get back and play D but his confidence is at an all time high. Now he thinks he's indestructible. We're in trouble if Carbo doesn't insist that Souray keep his game simple.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
Where's all the people from last year who were so convinced that Plekanec could step up and produce more than Ribeiro on the 2nd line? That IMO is the single biggest mistake that Gainey has made. Trading Ribeiro, good. Thinking Plekanec could play on the 2nd line, bad.
You have a vivid imagination in your make-believe universe. What in bloody hell did Ribeiro contribute to the Habs' second line in 2004-5 (all I can see is a minus +/-season and a futile playoff performance) and this preseason? Not to mention his disruptive clique that Gainey scrupulously weeded out.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:12 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
[QUOTE=westcoast habsfan;7282074]

The reasons I have faith in this team:
Higgins is injured. How well did N.J. do last year without Elias? We're doing okay without one of our BEST players, not too many teams can lose a top line guy and not have it affect them.

This is a good point you make. It goes to show that the habs have depth. Of course we are a much better team with Higgins in the lineup.

Old
12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

devils fan here............ i just wanna first say how much i respect every player on that habs team. wat a game!!! especially late, it was up and down like so exciting. great game tonite by both teams, i especially thought aebischer played very strong tonite

Old
12-06-2006, 11:24 PM
jordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlhockey30 View Post
devils fan here............ i just wanna first say how much i respect every player on that habs team. wat a game!!! especially late, it was up and down like so exciting. great game tonite by both teams, i especially thought aebischer played very strong tonite
Nice to see a nice fan but we have different thoughts on the game...

Old
12-06-2006, 11:36 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
I dont get it... I fail to see how this was a "boring" game.

If it was, blame in on Montreal this time. Its only fair. They barely had any offense going.

Old
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
I dont get it... I fail to see how this was a "boring" game.

If it was, blame in on Montreal this time. Its only fair. They barely had any offense going.
Your right the Habs were not very good on the offence tonight but maybe that had something to do with NJ's boring defensive style hockey.You guys are so use to watching NJ you don't know what exciting hockey is anymore.This was the most boring Habs game I have witnessed this year.Aside from the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and overtime this was a real snoozefest.Yawnnnnnn.......

Closed Thread