HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Fisher (merged)

Old
12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Pangu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Bah, only a matter of time till you said this.

He is an offensive threat with his physical Play. Stats prove that.... and I know you're a stats guy.

I can't even believe I'm reading that ....

Yet Another - Honest to god...
What stats?
The teams that are dangerous in the playoffs are the ones that don't go down just beacause you hit them. Fisher still has the same flaws that he had last season. He can keep the puck in the other teams end, but he can't get into the back of their net. His defensive coverage was not good enough to make up for that lack of touch last playoffs and it probably will be the same this playoffs.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002 View Post
What stats?
The teams that are dangerous in the playoffs are the ones that don't go down just beacause you hit them. Fisher still has the same flaws that he had last season. He can keep the puck in the other teams end, but he can't get into the back of their net. His defensive coverage was not good enough to make up for that lack of touch last playoffs and it probably will be the same this playoffs.
What , Fisher can't keep up with the other team in their end? Are you kidding me? What game do you watch?

Someone .. please, find the stats that show where he is in the league for hits. That would tell me , that he can certainly keep. Was he not fourth like 2 weeks ago??

Also , what are the stats for goals for\against for that line?

Does Fisher's line not start the game?
Does Fisher's line not score powerplay goals.

Your statement makes no sense and has no merit. Fisher can absolutely keep up with the other team when he's out there. He's one of our top physical presence players on the ice.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Rico__Persson*

Micheal Fisher is playing like a man possesed. I don't care if he ever scores again as long as he keeps playing like he is. He is running over people without the puck, and even when he has the puck. That Neil/Fisher/Eaves line is "built for the playoffs" [sorry to steal a line from the Toronto Maple Leafs circa. 1999-2003], but yeah, these guys create space and bang up the oposition so when the fine tuned finnese guys come out, there is more room, and slower defenders.

Ottawa is very lucky to have Eaves playing on that line. You can see that he looks up to Fisher by the way they communicate on the bench. Fisher leads by example, but I'd bet he's pretty vocal too. Eaves in my opinion is The Apprentice. Should be fun to watch him years from now.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 11:58 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Ottawa's problem was considered to be a lack of grit and physicality in the post-season.

Teams can wear down their opponent night after night.

A guy like Roberts, whom everyone is clamouring for, did so in that fashion.

So, Ottawa goes out and both acquires and develops grit and toughness.

And we still don't win the Cup.

So some people think, well, I guess that means you don't need grit and toughness.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.

It's only a matter of time before a guy like Fisher steps up in the post-season, offensively as well as physically.

As of right now, he's a 3rd line centre so any production he's involved with is a bonus to his role in creating energy and momentum for the team, as well as drawing penalties and killing them off.

It's one thing to think Fisher isn't a 2nd line centre. A fair argument can be made that he isn't. But that doesn't mean he isn't valuable, because he most certainly is.

I'm not sure what else you'd want in a 3rd line centre with his price tag.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
The Fuhr

Mike Fisher
18:05MPG 2:10SH 2:55PP
28GP 6G 13A 19Pts 8PIM 91Hits 25BS +9 in takeaways 52FO%

I don't know how much more anyone can ask for. Fishers game is developing amazing.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Brandi

There are things in life that are just certain:

- The sun will come out tomorrow - Sing it Annie
- Your own farts smell better than someone elses
- That there is no true honesty in a politician
- Men think woman are crazy
- Woman think men are *******s

And that

- Mike Fisher is simply ****ing amazing.

That's just the way it is folks.

Old
12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Pangu

Just in terms of quote order (to NyQuil):
1. That really doesn't have much to do with I said (or at least I can't see the link), but a lot of people's perceptions did not change much (like yours or mine), but rather there were a lot of new posters that were far more vocal.

2. Vermette can still play in a top 2 line role, but it would be wise to have another top-2 forward if he falters - or to play alongside him. Having 4 bonefied top-6 forwards (if Vermette pans out) is still shaky.

3. I don't understand your point. I have never said that the regular season is not indicitive of post-season success. But I do not think that it is perfectly indicitive. I think most people would agree with that. Improvements in various players games should carry over (at least to some degree) to the playoffs, even if their entire game does not completely carry over to the playoffs.

4. We also played Tampa twice, Florida twice, Phily, Carolina (in front of Grahame). The start was tough, but it has been pretty easy after the first few games.

5. You don't have to trade a player during an 8-2 run. I am just saying that we need to trade for a top two line forward that can shoot the puck. There will be times that are more opportune.

Old
12-06-2006, 12:09 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

It's only a matter of time before a guy like Fisher steps up in the post-season, offensively as well as physically.
... and what's lost in this thread and Rico's post about Robert's single-handedly beating us 3 times... is that Robert's didn't singlehandedly beat us 3 times. He was invisible in 03-04 and vaguely recognizable in 00-01. He single-handedly beat us once in 01-02.
Gary Roberts actually had a pretty sketchy career in the playoffs and received a lot of criticism throughout his career for putting up low totals in an a more offensive era, particularily low goal totals for a 40-50 goalscorer. You think Alfie deserves criticism, Robert's has 1 less goal in 35 more playoff games and most of those games were played in a much more offensive era for an offensive juggernaut.

Champben's insistence that Fisher is a cripple-kicker... 13 of Fisher's 19 points this year have come against teams in a playoff spot.

Last edited by trentmccleary: 12-06-2006 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Bolded the Roberts part
trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Sens are like Whoa

I'd love to watch the game in person with champben, billpo, and possibly Shnak.

Commentator: "Redden long pass up to Spezza - Spezza carries it up the ice, over to Heatley, one-timer... SCOOOORES! This game is out of reach - Ottawa will walk away with another win..."

billpo: "Redden should have carried that up ice himself, that pass was far too risky... did you guys see it almost get picked off in transition? Poor play, very Redden-like."

Shnak: "I agree, billpo. This guy is extremely over-hyped. It was a sweet pass, but I mean... Kaberle could have pulled that off blind-folded. Also, why does Heatley always have to one-time it like that... why can't he ever pull off any crazy dangles..."

champben: "... Yeah, not only that, but why does Spezza always go for the pass? He should be taking those shots himself. Heatley is soft now, it's as if all he cares about is scoring. He should be hitting and playing defensively way better..."

Sens are like Whoa: *Drinks heavily*

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:11 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post

Commentator: "Redden long pass up to Spezza - Spezza carries it up the ice, over to Heatley, one-timer... SCOOOORES! This game is out of reach - Ottawa will walk away with another win..."

billpo: "Redden should have carried that up ice himself, that pass was far too risky... did you guys see it almost get picked off in transition? Poor play, very Redden-like."

Shnak: "I agree, billpo. This guy is extremely over-hyped. It was a sweet pass, but I mean... Kaberle could have pulled that off blind-folded. Also, why does Heatley always have to one-time it like that... why can't he ever pull off any crazy dangles..."

champben: "... Yeah, not only that, but why does Spezza always go for the pass? He should be taking those shots himself. Heatley is soft now, it's as if all he cares about is scoring. He should be hitting and playing defensively way better..."

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Having 4 bonefied top-6 forwards (if Vermette pans out) is still shaky.
I object!
My prediction that Schaefer will be a 60-70 point winger because of his playmaking ability is coming true. After going 10-0 and getting over his hip injury, he has 17 points in 14 games. You ain't taking that away from me.

I still have high hopes for Eaves too... that is if Murray doesn't banish him to the 4th line for working too hard again. When he comes through, I'll make sure an point it out to you.

Also, do you remember how much real 2nd line players in the NHL actually score? (36-55 points last season. )

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:20 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post

I have to agree, That is quite funny. But If that were me actually speaking, there would be a lot more expletives in between.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Pangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Ottawa's problem was considered to be a lack of grit and physicality in the post-season.

Teams can wear down their opponent night after night.

So, Ottawa goes out and both acquires and develops grit and toughness.

And we still don't win the Cup.

So some people think, well, I guess that means you don't need grit and toughness.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.

As of right now, he's a 3rd line centre so any production he's involved with is a bonus to his role in creating energy and momentum for the team, as well as drawing penalties and killing them off.

It's one thing to think Fisher isn't a 2nd line centre. A fair argument can be made that he isn't. But that doesn't mean he isn't valuable, because he most certainly is.

I'm not sure what else you'd want in a 3rd line centre with his price tag.
The differances between Roberts and Fisher illustrate exactly what is wrong with Fisher. If he played like Roberts then I would not be constantly dumping on him. Just look at the goals that they have scored this season. Roberts get nearly every one of them beelining to the net. Fisher scores alot of his goals as the thrid man in or on odd-man rush tap-ins. I don't have a problem with physical players, but I think that they should be able to go to the net or to shoot the puck.

Old
12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
The differances between Roberts and Fisher illustrate exactly what is wrong with Fisher. If he played like Roberts then I would not be constantly dumping on him. Just look at the goals that they have scored this season. Roberts get nearly every one of them beelining to the net. Fisher scores alot of his goals as the thrid man in or on odd-man rush tap-ins. I don't have a problem with physical players, but I think that they should be able to go to the net or to shoot the puck.
They also do not play the same position, so comparing them isn't exactly fair.

Neil gets a lot of goals by driving to the net and he's a winger like Roberts is. Same with Eaves.

Fisher provides the speed, can bring the puck in and recover it deep, and is playing much more of a playmaking role than I would ever give him credit for. I thought he didn't have the hands to do that kind of work, but from what I've seen on the PP, that part of his game has improved dramatically IMO.

Last edited by NyQuil: 12-06-2006 at 12:40 PM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 01:44 PM
kuilio

<---------------------

I love everything he brings to this team.

kuilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
emo

Fish has looked slow over the last week and a half. He's had a couple of breakaways and it looks like he's really labouring with his stride. Is it just me? (I know it's odd that someone can look slow while still on a breakaway...)

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 02:35 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
Fish has looked slow over the last week and a half. He's had a couple of breakaways and it looks like he's really labouring with his stride. Is it just me? (I know it's odd that someone can look slow while still on a breakaway...)
Pierre is that you?

I think its just you and McGuire.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:31 PM
JackBauer

i propose everyone goes to NHL.com and send in a write-in vote for Mike Fisher

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Perhaps his slowness on the breakaway had something to do with the fact that he was PENALTY KILLING?!?!?!?!?!

Fisher's speed is right up there with Vermettes.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Just speculating, but if he was near the end of a PK shift he'd be tired PLUS he'd need to keep enough in the tank to get back to the bench quickly.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 03:45 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Perhaps his slowness on the breakaway had something to do with the fact that he was PENALTY KILLING?!?!?!?!?!

Fisher's speed is right up there with Vermettes.
Now now. Fisher's fast, but Vermette is just plain faster.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Just speculating, but if he was near the end of a PK shift he'd be tired PLUS he'd need to keep enough in the tank to get back to the bench quickly.
I was thinking the same thing. I noticed Vermette a few times .. just a few,but I realized he's at the end of his shift.

Also, I think this is probably a bit of an adjustment for Fishe's line. He's getting more Pplay time and a top guy on the Penalty kill. Plus, the 3rd line has got increased in shifts.

Fish seems fit and able to compete, but I'm sure he could probably always work on his stamina.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
Now now. Fisher's fast, but Vermette is just plain faster.
Well I guess the skills competition will clear that up

Old
12-07-2006, 01:52 PM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISensFanI View Post
Pierre is that you?

I think its just you and McGuire.
Did Pierre say that as well? Or are you just commenting on his belief that the Sens are not one of the speediest teams? If its the latter, I agree with him and have been saying since the Hossa trade that Ottawa is not as fast as many fans and media members claim. Fisher is fast, hes just looked like hes been labouring with his stride over the past couple of weeks.

Old
12-07-2006, 01:54 PM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
That's what I thought on the SH breakaway, but he had another near the start of a shift and some rushes where he just looked like he couldn't find his normal top gear.