HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Fisher (merged)

Old
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
Did Pierre say that as well? Or are you just commenting on his belief that the Sens are not one of the speediest teams? If it’s the latter, I agree with him and have been saying since the Hossa trade that Ottawa is not as fast as many fans and media members claim. Fisher is fast, he’s just looked like he’s been labouring with his stride over the past couple of weeks.
Hossa was never THAT fast. He had good acceleration and was above average for top speed, but Havlat and Vermette were probably faster than he is.

The increased ice time for speedy players like Kelly and Vermette offsets the losses of speedsters Havlat and Hossa, although obviously their finishing skills aren't in the same vicinity.

I think the major difference is that other NHL teams have jumped on the speed bandwagon, as opposed to Ottawa actually losing team speed. In a relative sense, we have lost some team speed. But that was inevitable I think.

Sure, Spezza and Heatley are fairly slow, but so were Smolinski and Bonk.

Teams like the Leafs who were derided for their lack of speed, and the Flyers who made up for it with physicality, are being forced to adapt.

Personally I think Fisher and Schaefer have looked faster than they had at the beginning of the season, obviously the latter's injury having much to do with it. A recent goal which had Schaefer outskating Bouwmeester and Fisher accelerating away from Jokinen for a SH two-on-one goal against Florida springs to mind.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 04:23 PM
ynaffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
Now now. Fisher's fast, but Vermette is just plain faster.
I think last year's skills competition, Vermette was just a split-second faster.

ynaffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Personally I think Fisher and Schaefer have looked faster than they had at the beginning of the season, obviously the latter's injury having much to do with it. A recent goal which had Schaefer outskating Bouwmeester and Fisher accelerating away from Jokinen for a SH two-on-one goal against Florida springs to mind.
Just watching the highlights, it was Van Ryn and not Bouwmeester, and Van Ryn was standing still whereas Schaefer had already gotten a head start from stealing it.

Quote:
Hossa was never THAT fast. He had good acceleration and was above average for top speed, but Havlat and Vermette were probably faster than he is.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Hossa could get to top speed in about two strides, which alone makes him faster than a lot of players. He's right up there with Havlat and Vermette.

This team has taken a step back in terms of speed over the last two years, but not a huge one. They're still very well suited for the faster NHL.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Just watching the highlights, it was Van Ryn and not Bouwmeester, and Van Ryn was standing still whereas Schaefer had already gotten a head start from stealing it.
My mistake.

If I recall correctly however, Fisher was well behind and Jokinen could not keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Hossa could get to top speed in about two strides, which alone makes him faster than a lot of players. He's right up there with Havlat and Vermette.
Well, there's a difference between acceleration and top speed, which is what I was trying to make a note of.

Acceleration is arguably more useful, just look at Pavel Bure, who never won any fastest skater competitions. Naturally, Hossa is a fast player which is why I called him a speedster, but in a different way than Havlat or Vermette IMO.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
bert

Quote:
My mistake.

If I recall correctly however, Fisher was well behind and Jokinen could not keep up.

Well, there's a difference between acceleration and top speed, which is what I was trying to make a note of.

Acceleration is arguably more useful, just look at Pavel Bure, who never won any fastest skater competitions. Naturally, Hossa is a fast player which is why I called him a speedster, but in a different way than Havlat or Vermette IMO.
I will take Hossa's type of speed over Havlat and Vermettes any day. Hockey is all 5 foot races and Hossa seems to just explode. Not only that but he is a big man so his body position makes it that much harder to contain him.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
That's what I thought on the SH breakaway, but he had another near the start of a shift and some rushes where he just looked like he couldn't find his normal top gear.
Looks like I'm turning into a Fisher apologist, but maybe his skates needed sharpening or he picked up a nick or something else that slowed him down.

I'm just brainstorming here.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:42 PM
emo

Quote:

I think Vermette is the fastest of the bunch. I think Hossa has more speed than Havlat, but Havlat is quicker (and more shifty) if you understand my distiction.

The increased ice time for speedy players like Kelly and Vermette offsets the losses of speedsters Havlat and Hossa, although obviously their finishing skills aren't in the same vicinity.

I don't consider Kelly a speedster at all.

I think the major difference is that other NHL teams have jumped on the speed bandwagon, as opposed to Ottawa actually losing team speed. In a relative sense, we have lost some team speed. But that was inevitable I think.

I think that's a fair point, but when I look at our forward who get the most ice-time, I don't see a super-fast team. Spezza has increased his speed to the point of being average (and I have to give him a lot of credit for that. It's made him even more dangerous), but Heatley is as slow as Gratts. Well-below avg. Alfie has lost a step this season, although I would still put him in the slightly above avg. speed category. Kelly is average, Schaef is avg. to slightly above avg. while Vermette is elite and Fisher is excellent.

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:59 PM
hockeycountry

I agree with just about all of that, emo.

As for Kelly, I have a really difficult time judging his speed. Sometimes he looks blazing fast, sometimes he looks average.

I'm really happy about Spezza's increased speed, too. Not that he's morphed into Vermette or anything, but there are still times when I see him and I'm surprised that it's actually him . . .

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:17 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Heatley has decent speed, but I think his acceleration is below average. If he could improve his acceleration then he could be a consistent top-5 player in the league.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Heatley is just a plain weird player. He's slow but has fast hands, he's got an ugly stride and seems to have little balance but is capable of making beautiful changes in direction and moves on a dime.
He's slow but can seem to explode to the net or around d-men.
He loses the puck off the end of his stick regularly but also possess amazing puck skills.

Weird.

Hossa- i always remember 2 Hossa's. there was Marian who with 2 strong strides got of to full steam and had a great top end speed.
Then there was Olympic Hossa (who at times and more often as he matured brought Olympics Hossa to the NHL.)
That Hossa was a ridiculous combination of quickness, speed and power.

That Hossa was one of the fastest players ive ever seen.

Havlat - Top end speed was not quite in the same class as Hossa but his agility, quickness and anticipation made him one of the slipperiest players around.
He could carry his speed while making crazy moves without actually taking a stride.

Vermette - a classic speedster. fast off the line, fast at top end. It seems as though he may be starting to outgrow his Daigle phase as his hands are catching up with his feet.
They are such similar players. Its obvious that Vermette has tons more heart and desire and that's probably the reason he'll end up so much better.

In order of overall speed IMO:

Olympic Hossa
Vermette
Hossa
Havlat

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote