HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbo new line in the 3rd

Old
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Carbo new line in the 3rd

Kovalev-koivu-ryder samsonov-plekanec-latendresse perezhogin-bonk-johnson begin-murray-streit WILL THOSE NEW LINE WORK ? discuss it

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Mike8

I liked what I saw from them, minus Murray.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:01 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
i really like the way streit play on offense...this guys is a great hockey player

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
bring up lapierre and i'd be really happy

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think Carbo should just rotate everybody next to Koivu throughout the course of the season...that way all the players will finish around 30 pts each but at least they'll all be producing

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Habs514

I like those lines. Hopefully this sparks Kovalev.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
I can't wait to see a Lats - Koivu - Higgins line! Ohhhh that should be great!!!!!!

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Good call on Streit, he's a very smart player on offence. There were times when I was confusing him for Samsonov or Koivu, even. It's nice to know that we have two defenceman capable of doing a good job on forward and defence.

Now if only Yahoo fantasy hockey would list Streit as a LW/D

gohabsgo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:06 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Bring up Kostsitsyn and Grabovsky. Get rid of Downy and Murray.

Begin-Grabovsky-Kostsityn

It would work better, a lot better. And the line is good enough to play its minutes, so Grab and Kost wouldn't sit all night.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Plekanec and Latendresse seemed to mesh well. I think Carbo's feeling things out in preparation for Higgins' return. Someone will have to get a demotion when he comes back, and while the likely choice a few weeks ago would have been Latendresse, it no longer is the case.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Streit is doing great even if i hate having a defensemen playing forward but streit is better than downey,murray and begin!

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
madbox

Some kind of change was needed... these lines are worth a try for atleast a few games.

I've always liked Streit, but seeing him as a forward has been something else! I like it.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
I've always liked Streit, but seeing him as a forward has been something else! I like it.
Me too. He can really showcase his shiftiness at the forward position. Looks very good behind the opposition's net, good forecheck. I don't know if a new door has just opened for him but with his new found adaptability he just became that more valuable for the Habs. Having a guy you can play just as well on D and your 4th line is really a plus.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Le Maroons

I agree with everyone about Streit. I agree with Kovalev on the first line but I would also like a Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse line.

It's funny listening to different Americans saying Latendresse. Sometimes it sounds like "lets undress", other times it sounds like "Lathunderess".

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Habitants

well we know that first line works from the pp, an i have been saying it for some time now, kovalev WANTS to play with koivu, on the top line, it is the only thing that will motivate him

as for the second line lets hope last is not playing well only because he was with koivu. i hope he can bring some energy to that line and a finishing touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
It's funny listening to different Americans saying Latendresse. Sometimes it sounds like "lets undress", other times it sounds like "Lathunderess".
La - 10 dress

and Paris Hogan

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Phousse

Latin Dress
La Ton Dress

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:34 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
As far as lines go... Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder and Latendresse - Higgins - Kovalev are what I've been thinking.

gohabsgo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by zednified View Post
As far as lines go... Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder and Latendresse - Higgins - Kovalev are what I've been thinking.
I wonder if Higgins would keep ruling with that new role?

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
MathMan

I personally quite like them, and have much enjoyed seeing Koivu and Kovalev play together at the start of last year. The Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev line worked fairly well last year when they tried it. That line will certainly be lethal. The second line worries me a bit more, but it's not like the earlier combo has been burning the league has it?

I'm curious to see if Carbonneau will try them. It really started as just a stopgap to rest Kovalev and play Lats after he had a stint on the 1st PP line. Maybe that was the turn of the Rubik's Cube that he needed...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:15 AM
guapo23

The thing that is great about the new lines is how Latendresse and Samsonov were working together.

Lats size and strength really clicked with Samsonvov speed on the cycle.
Pleks can also play a cycle game : in last year's playoof he, Perez & Zednik were awesome on the cycle...
It solves the 2nd line problem for now and makes use of Samsonov's strengths.

Samsonov's assets are to use speed and quick turns to create an opening. If that fails he needs to be able to just dump the puck back to the corner or behind the net.

Lats' size enables him to collect these passes from Sammy and keep the pressure on the opponent, unlike the Kovy-Sammy-Plek tendency to cough it up quickly in the offensive zone.

I think the 2nd line will produce many more chances with Lats playing with Sammy.

Kovalev's style is not to cycle and dig it out : it is to slow it down and make a finesse play. Kovalev needs to play with Koivu because on the PP these last few games they have been deadly together.

Streit has totally rejuvenated the 4th line.
His speed and play on the boards in the offensive zone has really generated some offense. If those guys learn how to finish, we could have a decent 4th line.

Or when Higgins comes back you make a 4th line consisting of PLEKS - STREIT - BEGIN.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I think I'm the only guy who's sceptical about Higgins at C. I don't know, I guess we'll see, but there's a reason he was moved to LW, and I just don't see his game translating that well back to C.

Anyway, agreed about Streit.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I think I'm the only guy who's sceptical about Higgins at C. I don't know, I guess we'll see, but there's a reason he was moved to LW, and I just don't see his game translating that well back to C.

Anyway, agreed about Streit.
Well, he did play 2 years as a center...it's not like he's only had a couple of games' experience. I'm more worried about how he'll produce without Koivu, regardless of if plays center or wing or whatever.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:52 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
The thing that is great about the new lines is how Latendresse and Samsonov were working together.

Lats size and strength really clicked with Samsonvov speed on the cycle.
Pleks can also play a cycle game : in last year's playoof he, Perez & Zednik were awesome on the cycle...
It solves the 2nd line problem for now and makes use of Samsonov's strengths.

Samsonov's assets are to use speed and quick turns to create an opening. If that fails he needs to be able to just dump the puck back to the corner or behind the net.

Lats' size enables him to collect these passes from Sammy and keep the pressure on the opponent, unlike the Kovy-Sammy-Plek tendency to cough it up quickly in the offensive zone.

I think the 2nd line will produce many more chances with Lats playing with Sammy.

Kovalev's style is not to cycle and dig it out : it is to slow it down and make a finesse play. Kovalev needs to play with Koivu because on the PP these last few games they have been deadly together.

Streit has totally rejuvenated the 4th line.
His speed and play on the boards in the offensive zone has really generated some offense. If those guys learn how to finish, we could have a decent 4th line.

Or when Higgins comes back you make a 4th line consisting of PLEKS - STREIT - BEGIN.
i would like to see kovalev - koivu - ryder , latendresse - higgins - samsonov , third line remains the same , and streit - plekanic - begin .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Souray44

I really liked the lines after the change was made in the third. Kovalev seems to be a useful player when playing with Koivu, but then who isn't.

Streit is great playing forward.

Hopefully Markov is back soon though.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 01:04 AM
resist-

I really liked the new lines we saw at the end of the game vs Islanders... Looks like Carbo understood he cannot only wait to get the second line working.

Koivu, Ryder, and Kovalev obviously work well together... That line took a lot of shots from the front of the net, both on PP and 5on5.

For the second line, Lats size and Sammy's speed may produce some sparks... We saw a few, but time will tell...

Third line must remain the same, it has been the most consistent one this year. And Streit is adding interesting skills on the fourth line, really suprising to me...

Now let's just wait for higgins:

Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder
Lats - Higgins - Samsonov
Perez - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Plekanec - Streit

Murrray and Downey on the press box, unless the habs are playing against a gritty team.

I would be very comfortable with that line up... Let's see what Carbo has in mind !!!

resist- is offline   Reply With Quote