Notices

Why All The Whining About Officiating?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2003, 06:47 AM
Jeff from Maine

vCash: 500
Why All The Whining About Officiating?

It was clear and obvious to me as to why the calls went as they did yesterday...and why they have been going that way all season...

To get calls you have to SKATE!

And yesterday, as is very often the case with the Bruins...they did NOT skate!

Whining about the refs gets old.

And I also recall that it was fine for the Leafs to get called for all those penalties they got...they were whiners! They DESERVED IT! They had a bad rep!

Guess what folks...

The Bruins have that very same reputation! On virtually EVERY call made against them...the penalized player yaps and *****es and moans to the officials. And Sullivan does the exact same thing!

They virtually NEVER go right to the box while keeping their mouths shut!

And regardless of what people want to think...refs DO have a bias against teams that whine and ***** about every call.

NOBODY likes a team full of poor sports and babies! And folks....thats EXACTLY what this team looks like to people on thoutside looking in!

And until they change...they had better get used to the calls going aginst them.

Lets face it...Thornton gets hooked, hauled down and a 100 other things every night....and little is called.

Guess what....

He is FAR from the only one that that happens to. 2 dozen other guys face that same nightly treatment.

But Thornton and the other guys on the B`s hav chosen to react like babies!

They get what they ask for!

I have little sympathy!

Shut your whiny little mouth and play....what a bunch of babies!

Later

Old
11-29-2003, 07:27 AM
Jeff from Maine

Did I Say That??

The players and fans all whine about the officiating.

me thinks that a quick trip to a mirror could spot the reasons why we are losing!

the BRUINS players themselves! they fail to move their feet when held. They take lazy penalties.

Guess what? Sure, Nashville wasnt whisteled for a number of calls that could have gone against them.

But guess again...the Bruins had 10 AT LEAST that could have been called on them as well...but they WERE NOT CALLED1

The refs do the best they can under tthe situations they face.

And the LAST thing they need is a bunch of crybabies wearing black and gold whining after EVERY call they make!

Maybe O`C and Sully should tell the team to just shut up and play!

Later

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 11-29-2003 at 11:28 AM. Reason: response to previously baiting post edited out
Old
11-29-2003, 07:52 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Jeff,

While I agree that playing through the penalties strongly will have the dual benefit of getting more calls and removing the excuse factor (by winning), the officiating in Bruins games over the past month has been horrendous to the point where people HAVE to scratch their heads a little bit after some of these things.

During just one shift yesterday, a defender rode Murray about 15 feet with his stick hooked into his ribs, another took out one of Thornton's teeth with his stick, and the Bruins wound up a man short because the ref THOUGHT he saw Patrice Bergeron high stick. The replay (and everyone in the building) saw Patrice hitting the guy in the shoulder, clean.

That sort of thing has been happening (and costing the Bruins goals) for several weeks now. The officials were making some horrible calls around Thornton, and since the team complained to the league office, they've been making horrible calls around the entire team.

There were probably a half a dozen "easy calls" that the refs ignored against the Preds. Every "easy call" and a several bogus ones against the Bruins drew a whistle.

Patrice Bergeron's stick didn't even touch the guy he "high sticked."
Hal Gill was in a two way, gloves on fight, and only he went for "roughing."
Mike Knuble's "slash" caught stick, puck, and nothing else. His stick was lifted by the HAND of the defenseman to raise it high enough to be perceived as a slash.
PJ Axelsson's "goaltender interference" had Vokoun 5 feet out of his net, sticking his leg out, and falling intentionally when Axe's leg caught his.
Joe Thornton's "slashing" was very similar to Knuble's, and came at the end of a series of plays where at least 3 penalties were committed against the B's.

It was an ugly game, and has been an ugly month.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:02 AM
bwunderlich

you know jeff, there have been many games i really felt the bruins weren't REALLY trying to skate through the clutching and grabbing. however, yesterday wasn't one of them. sammy skated harder than i've ever seen him skate. IMHO, they skated hard yesterday and earned the benefit of the doubt.

yesterday on the game thread i stated that i wished the bruins just dropped the gloves and went hog wild during the boynton-hartnell exchange. kirk was obviously right saying the game was still in doubt but i'd rather see the bruins lose and take their anger out on their opponents rather than complain to the refs and media.

yes they have a bit of a chip on their shoulders about perceived injustice. i too wish they'd stop complaining to the refs.

jeff you of all people know how physically draining it must be to carry your opponent on your back every game. the trappists have virtually proved that you can shut down anyone/anyteam if obstruction isn't called. last year the devils stunk the first quarter of the year, due in part to obstruction being called. conversely, the bruins excelled.

there is really only one avenue open to the bruins and that is to take a page out of the Canes playbook - "if you can't beat the trap, join (employ) the trap."

Old
11-29-2003, 08:07 AM
pblc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
No, I didnt!

It is really funny though...nobody can beat the Bruins. Just ask anyone here. Its the officials just about every time. Whining, whining, whining.

The players and fans all whine about the officiating.

me thinks that a quick trip to a mirror could spot the reasons why we are losing!

the BRUINS players themselves! they fail to move their feet when held. They take lazy penalties.

Guess what? Sure, Nashville wasnt whisteled for a number of calls that could have gone against them.

But guess again...the Bruins had 10 AT LEAST that could have been called on them as well...but they WERE NOT CALLED1

The refs do the best they can under tthe situations they face.

And the LAST thing they need is a bunch of crybabies wearing black and gold whining after EVERY call they make!

Maybe O`C and Sully should tell the team to just shut up and play!

Later
Guess I'll be taking a call for being the third man in, but I have to admit that I agree with Jeff to a certain extent. Don't get me wrong I think that the Bruins tend to be on the losing end of some bad calls.......but so do a lot of other teams. Is it a personal vendetta against the Bruins by the officials?.............nobody knows that 100% except the refs themselves, and they ain't talking, but even though officials are people, and are subject to all the same emotions as the rest of us..I like to believe that they, for the most part are professionals and leave any animosity they may have for a particular squad outside the rink. I just don't see any reason for the officials to have a "hidden agenda" in which the Bruins are the target.

I think that there is a lower quality of officiating league wide right now........could be for the same reason as the lower quality of play in the NHL right now.....expansion........more officials are needed as more teams are added, and as with "cream of the crop" NHL players, there are only so many equally qualified officials available in the talent pool. As the numbers go up the quality goes down. Just a theory....but who knows.

All I know is that, around hockey fans that I know, the Bruins are starting to get the reputation that the Leafs have been tagged with for the last few years...............of a bunch of whiners..........I don't like it...don't like it at all.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:49 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
It was clear and obvious to me as to why the calls went as they did yesterday...and why they have been going that way all season...

To get calls you have to SKATE!

And yesterday, as is very often the case with the Bruins...they did NOT skate!

Whining about the refs gets old.

And I also recall that it was fine for the Leafs to get called for all those penalties they got...they were whiners! They DESERVED IT! They had a bad rep!

Guess what folks...

The Bruins have that very same reputation! On virtually EVERY call made against them...the penalized player yaps and *****es and moans to the officials. And Sullivan does the exact same thing!

They virtually NEVER go right to the box while keeping their mouths shut!

And regardless of what people want to think...refs DO have a bias against teams that whine and ***** about every call.

NOBODY likes a team full of poor sports and babies! And folks....thats EXACTLY what this team looks like to people on thoutside looking in!

And until they change...they had better get used to the calls going aginst them.

Lets face it...Thornton gets hooked, hauled down and a 100 other things every night....and little is called.

Guess what....

He is FAR from the only one that that happens to. 2 dozen other guys face that same nightly treatment.

But Thornton and the other guys on the B`s hav chosen to react like babies!

They get what they ask for!

I have little sympathy!

Shut your whiny little mouth and play....what a bunch of babies!

Later
If I was playing I'd have blown a gasket- sitting as close as I was I too wanted to see what all the 'whining' was about and all I could tell was the Preds defense in both the first and third period were constantly taking their gloves off their stick and putting it on the Broons. Now, were they holding? not sure, its possible they are just a touchy feely group but if not holding they were using their strength to control the Broon forwards. I sit at games pretty mellow (usually because I'm stuffing my face with ice cream, popcorn or beer- feeding the JJ Machine) but talk to people around me and they ask me why I show so little emotion when the Broons score etc- but twice yesterday early there were obvious pulldowns and no call that got me to yell what the heck are you watching. Within 30 seconds the Bruins get a penalty. Also, both me and my buddy realizing it was Jackson-Rooney didn't have a good feeling.

I will say the Broons also tossed around a few Preds but I'm at the offensive zone the Broons are coming at twice and therefore I see more of the clutching and grabbing on the visitor defense. The problem I had yesterday was not so much the clutching and grabbing other than Samsonov twice getting mugged and no call (once Jackson started raising his arm and then pulled it back and started shaking his head no- what the F was that all about) But what irked me is an absolutely atrocious call on Bergeron and from what I hear (down other end) but told that Axelsson got a penalty for being in 'fair zone' and the goalie came out.

The refs sucked and if it makes me a whiner so be it- they missed a major hack job on McGillis and Boynton should have gotten 4 by himself but overall the first 5 minutes they missed to huge calls when the Broons were up 1-0 and atleast half the calls against were chincy. I'm told I'm not a complainer by nature at all by family and friends (a pain in the ass ) but maybe they're wrong- to me Jackson and Rooney are horrible and don't be suprised if these two are working at Wendy's in two years- night shift because they can't see anyways.

Last edited by DKH: 11-29-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old
11-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
The Bruins will become a winning team when they stop having an excuse for losing. It is always the coach, the refs, the owner and the payroll, Sinden, O'Connell, greedy free agents, or some other act of God. Meanwhile, other teams actually manage to win more games and playoff series. Reminder: the Bruins have actually won 50% of the games they have played this year. It is convenient that there is always something besides the players in the locker room for the Bruins to blame. Every other team in the league has to play under the same circumstances and I don't understand why there is so much willingness to overlook the fact that the Bruins are a hot-cold team that has trouble winning the big games.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Ortdogg

your right, every team in the league has to put up with the same thing.....but if you sit with a fan of another team and watch one of their games you will here something....fans complaining about the refs. if you are a vancouver fan, you complain everytime betuzzi gets mauled...if you are a st. louis fan its tkuchuk, calgary iginla, pittsburgh lemeuix......i could keep going with every team but i see no point. to me the only point is that there is too much obstruction, the term defense has drastically changed (for the worse) and that if all the leagues superstars complain, and if past greats such as lafluer, mario, gretzky, espo....so on, say the game isnt fun to watch anymore than i feel as a fan i have legitamate reasons to have a beef with the nhl officials if i choose to.

i dont care what city you watch a game in, you will always hear fans *****ing about refs, or finding "other" reasons why their team lost. its not only boston fans, toronto fans...ect.

jeff dont preach to me....state your opinions, but you not tell me how to feel or react to a loss or win by the team i support. just as you are entitled to your opinion the rest of us are entitled to ours. im sure i am not alone when i say this. i am a diehard bruins fan and if i want to ***** about obviously bad refs win or lose i will and i dont want to have someone else telling my to stop whinning, or complaining, ill do what i want.

Old
11-29-2003, 12:31 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
The Bruins will become a winning team when they stop having an excuse for losing. It is always the coach, the refs, the owner and the payroll, Sinden, O'Connell, greedy free agents, or some other act of God. Meanwhile, other teams actually manage to win more games and playoff series. Reminder: the Bruins have actually won 50% of the games they have played this year. It is convenient that there is always something besides the players in the locker room for the Bruins to blame. Every other team in the league has to play under the same circumstances and I don't understand why there is so much willingness to overlook the fact that the Bruins are a hot-cold team that has trouble winning the big games.
I don't think the Broons complain much at all- from what I hear it is widespread and just reading other boards, I'd say we are way in the minority. Heck, we complain the least imo of ALL 30 teams. Go read some of the posts on the Leafs and Habs board. We are just so active here- regardless, that game yesterday was one of the worst games I have ever witnessed in person reffing. Those two should be stripped of their stripes and whistles it was that bad.

What blows me away is sitting at ice level I can see Samsonov turn sharply and the Pred takes his hand off stick and puts it on Samsonov's shoulder and he goes down and the ref takes a long look and nothing. Rolston has a pretty damn good chance in third to score- I mean he was getting ready to shoot from close in and glove off stick and grab. That was a great move by the Pred (I think York) because it had a chance to be a goal, but NO FRICKEN CALL. We started laughing at that point these guys were so inept. If the score was ever more than 2 goals I'd have pulled a Milbury on these two jokers. But according to Stewart they are reviewed and graded and this aint MLB where you need an act of God to be canned. I expect one or both to be gone within a year or two because the only two games this year I really noticed blatant ineptness it was these two clowns.

Kerry Fraser also missed several calls but its OK because he looks good doing it. That really is Kerry's hair and for a guy 50 he looks younger than Bobby Orr. He should be doing a Head and Shoulder commercial:

Kerry coming out of locker room speaks, "after a tough game of screwing the Broons over my hair gets pretty flakey.....in fact, I'm not really screwing the Broons over at all, I'm to busy checking my looks in the glass, That's why I use H & S....it gives me that bounce the Broons lack after killing of 7 PK's"

Last edited by DKH: 11-29-2003 at 06:05 PM.
Old
11-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Still a Bruin fan

The Bruins aren't getting a reputation, they've had a bad rep for at least the past 4 years.
I don't buy for one second the Bruins weren't skating yesterday, and therefore didn't deserve any calls.

The players change, the coaches change, and still the Bruins continue to get hit with a huge disparity in chances for vs. chances against.
There are teams around the league that will have the odd year where they're minus 50-65 in powere plays for vs. against.
The Bruins are in that range every year.
Only one other team compares at all to the Bruins in this category year after year.

Maybe it doesn't help the team to complain,
but if I want to complain as a fan, then that's what I'll do. :p

And if the refs approach games looking more at one team over another based on prejudice, then that's a failure on their part. I believe they do carry prejudgement that affects the way they call these games.

As for this Chris Rooney, I looked up some history after the game because I was so ticked off he and Jackson, I wanted to find out who these guys are.

It seems this Rooney character gets one or both teams ticked at him everywhere he goes.
He's been called out and apparently punished on a number of occasions for his poor officiating and lack of proffesionalism.
After one G.M criticized him either last year or his rookie year, Bettman came out with a sympathetic statement (insert sarcastic smilie) to the effect:
'I'm gonna start fining your arses if I hear anymore crap from you'zz G.M guys'!!
I don't have a point there, I just found it amusing.

Rooney was also punished for mocking Tampa players during one game last year.

Seriously, there is a problem with the new refs being moved into the NHL.
They're not very good.

Old
11-29-2003, 04:23 PM
JimmyV

Send a message via AIM to JimmyV
I get the NHL center ice, and I watch quite a few games....The officiating in the NHL is horrible. If the officiating early last season (when they were going to clamp down on obstruction in the neutral zone..and they did)at least for the first month was a 9, on a 1 to 10 scale. I would say this year it is a 4. Try sitting down and watching a game....make it a non-Bruins game so that you are impartial to either team...and just grade the refs...it is amazing, how many guys get mugged, interferred with with no-calls, and finally it is amazing that they call the penalties that they do. :mad:

Old
11-29-2003, 07:19 PM
sarge88

Man Jeff, it seems to me that if the majority posters here said that the Bruins were wearing their third jersey yesterday you'd come here and try to explain that it was actually their 23rd because of all the style changes over the years. Really, I don't think that you give the posters here enough credit. No one rational thinks that other teams don't get screwed by the refs from time to time nor does anyone seem to have difficulty understanding that the B's are "our" team and that because of that we may overreact at times. But if you really think that the officiating in yesterdays game specifically, wasn't terribly one sided against the B's and that they weren't skating, then either you are listening to the game on the radio or simply not watching closely. They left everything that they had on the ice yesterday, probably for the first time in 3 or 4 games. The only thing that bothers me is their refusal to take matters into their own hands when things get as bad as they did yesterday. Furthermore, if the B's do have or attain the reputation as whiners, so what. How much worse can it get? Are the refs going to start giving the other team a 10-1 pp advantage instead of 7-2? If things keep up like this they don't have a chance anyway.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Gary

Are the refs going to start giving the other team a 10-1 pp advantage instead of 7-2? If things keep up like this they don't have a chance anyway.

I agree. I think after the first period which was total BS...If I was Sully I'd be tempted to say "Allright. Seems they're bent on giving us penalties no matter what, so lets atleast do something to EARN THEM then"

Old
11-29-2003, 09:31 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I also have NHL Center Ice, and it's happening all over the league, not just Boston. The officiating has been pretty bad this season.

But I did manage to pull an interesting stat tonight via NHL.com:

The Bruins have only had 78 power play opportunities, which is 30th in the league, behind the Rangers/Devils who both have had 84 opportunities (not counting tonight's games). The teams with the most power play opportunities are Atlanta and Vancouver, both with 126 (again, not counting tonight's games).

So maybe the Bruins do have a case.

Old
11-30-2003, 02:11 AM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4419
I also have NHL Center Ice, and it's happening all over the league, not just Boston. The officiating has been pretty bad this season.

But I did manage to pull an interesting stat tonight via NHL.com:

The Bruins have only had 78 power play opportunities, which is 30th in the league, behind the Rangers/Devils who both have had 84 opportunities (not counting tonight's games). The teams with the most power play opportunities are Atlanta and Vancouver, both with 126 (again, not counting tonight's games).

So maybe the Bruins do have a case.
YOUR KIDDING ME??? and this is with a team that spends more than half the game in the offensive zone where most penalties occur AND have the biggest talented line in hockey that cycles the puck. WOW- what a bunch of BS. I'm going tonight and instead of watching say Nagy and Doan I'm going to call the game in my end and see exactly what penalties on both sides are being called and missed- sounds like the Broons are getting screwed big time. 126-78

Old
11-30-2003, 02:59 AM
HockeyGoddess

Interestingly enough, the Bruins are ranked 25th overall for times short-handed (91 times). Several teams have been short-handed over 120 times.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 11-30-2003 at 03:27 AM.
Old
11-30-2003, 05:03 AM
Jeff from Maine

Where Do I Start??

Where to begin...

1. There were a number of replies here that say the Bruins are being singled out. Or they say that Bruin games have horrid officiating. Its NOT the Bruins people!!!! Its NHL HOCKEY IN GENERAL!!

Go to ANY teams game and you will see the 2 or 3 best players on EVERY team geting held, clutched, and grabbed all night long!

And before we spit anymore of this Bruins Are Getting Screwed mantra....I guess you guys dont watch the BRUINS play defense do you...

Boynton, O`Donnell, Thornton and others hold ALL NIGHT LONG!

Teams do it to us...we do it to them!

And as HG researched, other teams are SH MUCH more frequently than the Bruins are!

2. So what that we skated for ONE game! we slide our feet on the ice and call it skating. And wow we hav ONE line that grinds and plays in the high contact areas...well, 2 if you consider the McCarthy/Grosek combo.

Which 2 lines consistently draw penalties?? Thorntons and the Grosek/McCarthy lines. Sammy and his line will never consistently get calls and its easy to explain...they dont hit and get hit! Bergeron and Lapointe are NOT guys who go out and INITIATE the physical game. On parks in the crease and doesnt move, and the other parks his butt in the corner and doesnt move! And Samsonov skates in circles all night and opponents rarely chase him...they WAIT him out! How in the heck are you going to draw penalties when you play like that??

And the Rolston line? Well, they play a perimeter game as well. Green slashes all night long. he has 30 PIM...should be closer to 60 if the refs called him for the OBVIOUS things he does. But they dont crash the net offensively.

To EARN PP`s you have to play in the high contact areas CONSISTENTLY!

And you have to shut your whiny mouths and play the games. I would hate Thornton and Boynton if I was an opposing teams fans. I would ride them for whqat they both are....whiny babies who cant handle calls on them and non-calls against them.

Well guess what guys...the Bruins are FAR fom the only team that has games in which the reffing isnt great.

The whole Bruin nation needs to suck it up and quit being excuse makers.

Players/teams that make excuses are people/players/teams that cant do it on their own. They need a crutch for their own failings.

Later

Old
11-30-2003, 07:30 AM
DKH

Quote:
Where to begin...

1. There were a number of replies here that say the Bruins are being singled out. Or they say that Bruin games have horrid officiating. Its NOT the Bruins people!!!! Its NHL HOCKEY IN GENERAL!!

Go to ANY teams game and you will see the 2 or 3 best players on EVERY team geting held, clutched, and grabbed all night long!

And before we spit anymore of this Bruins Are Getting Screwed mantra....I guess you guys dont watch the BRUINS play defense do you...

And as HG researched, other teams are SH MUCH more frequently than the Bruins are!

2. So what that we skated for ONE game! we slide our feet on the ice and call it skating. And wow we hav ONE line that grinds and plays in the high contact areas...well, 2 if you consider the McCarthy/Grosek combo.

Which 2 lines consistently draw penalties?? Thorntons and the Grosek/McCarthy lines. Sammy and his line will never consistently get calls and its easy to explain...they dont hit and get hit! Bergeron and Lapointe are NOT guys who go out and INITIATE the physical game. On parks in the crease and doesnt move, and the other parks his butt in the corner and doesnt move! And Samsonov skates in circles all night and opponents rarely chase him...they WAIT him out! How in the heck are you going to draw penalties when you play like that??

And the Rolston line? Well, they play a perimeter game as well. Green slashes all night long. he has 30 PIM...should be closer to 60 if the refs called him for the OBVIOUS things he does. But they dont crash the net offensively.

And you have to shut your whiny mouths and play the games. I would hate Thornton and Boynton if I was an opposing teams fans. I would ride them for whqat they both are....whiny babies who cant handle calls on them and non-calls against them.

Well guess what guys...the Bruins are FAR fom the only team that has games in which the reffing isnt great.

Players/teams that make excuses are people/players/teams that cant do it on their own. They need a crutch for their own failings.

Later
I was on ESPN Insider today and two of the articles had the Officials costing teams in the headline!!! THE FREAKIN HEADLINE. One was whoever played the Canes last night- I think it was the Pittsburgh Gazette but the majority of the article was railing the refs naming them and comments very carefully worded by players and coaches but said after scraping off all the BS- they suck. I disagree 100 % we are excuse makers- if so, then the Penguins and the Sens? or whoever went off on the officiating.

Hey, I was at the game and they SUCKED- 'BUT' I wrote a summary of the game and don't think I even mentioned how bad they were until I saw this post. Call me a complainer all you want but I just thought it was absurb after what I saw and what I read. I said to my friend during the game this is one of the worst 10 games I have ever seen reffereed and we started going back to Bill Friday, Art Skov, Wally 'no whistle' Harris the Van Hellenmond call on O'Reilly against the Nords in game 7 in 1983....the call on Rattelle for roughing in game 7 by that gutless piece of ***** Bob Myers with the Habs down 3-1. (You should have heard how bad the Broons players thought that call was)....we spent the entire first period talking about all the bad calls in history because of the two noncalls missed early in this game- thats how bad they were.

Horrible, horrilbe, horrible.......can't say it was worst ever but they both got F's if I was grading AND they also missed a world class tree chopping hatchet job by McGillis and Boynton should have picked up 4 for roughing and Hartnell none. My complaint is the two blatant early missed calls, the pull down of Rolston on a grade A scoring chance and two BS calls on Bergeron and Ax plus probably others I couldn't see on TV or at the other end.

These two should be demoted for ineptness

I

Old
11-30-2003, 07:49 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Where to begin...

Later

Jeff I really don't follow what you are saying, in the first post you wrote:

"It was clear and obvious to me as to why the calls went as they did yesterday...and why they have been going that way all season...

To get calls you have to SKATE!"

Then in the above post you wrote

"So what that we skated for ONE game!"

Did they not skate and therefore didn't get the calls or did they skate for that one game and still not get the calls?

Another point of contention is your saying that :

"Bergeron and Lapointe are NOT guys who go out and INITIATE the physical game."

Now Bergeron, I'll grant you, but to say that Lapointe does not "INITIATE the physical game" could not be more wrong.

Sometimes I think that you are simply taking the contrarian point of view just to have something to do.

Again, I don't think that anyone thinks that the B's are the only team that gets screwed by the refs, but there are only a handful of teams that play a similar puck possession, offensive style of game but among those the B's seem to get the short end of the stick all too often recently. Remember just because the B's get away with a penalty or 2 doesn't excuse the refs for missing 6-7 for the other team.

Old
11-30-2003, 08:22 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
Another point of contention is your saying that :

"Bergeron and Lapointe are NOT guys who go out and INITIATE the physical game."

Now Bergeron, I'll grant you, but to say that Lapointe does not "INITIATE the physical game" could not be more wrong.

Sometimes I think that you are simply taking the contrarian point of view just to have something to do.
couldn't agree more- in fact, who initiates physical contact more than marty lapointe? not many players that i've seen- he hits everyone, and when he's done with that, he hits some more. not sure if any of you caught this, but after boynton nailed hartnell behind the net (before the big scrum), the puck was still at hartnell's feet. he was about to get up, and lapointe came in and railroaded him. that, my friends, is initiating contact (as well as a guy who badly wants to win).

Old
11-30-2003, 08:58 AM
pblc

I get NHL Centre Ice so I get to see every Bruins game, and I also usually have 2-3 other games on the go on nights when the Bruins are not playing...........unfortunately I know that you miss all of the behind the play stuff when you don't get to see a game live.......but I see a lot of horrendous calls all over the place. One thing that sucks about NHL Centre Ice is that as soon as the game is over .....the feed is gone.......you don't get to see any of the after game commentary and interviews......so I miss a lot in that regard. Luckily, I can come here and get the jist of what was said afterwards......but I wish I could see it for myself.

It seems like we have here on the board different opinions, some which say the Bruins are the subject of a disproportionate number of bads calls against and non calls for.......and the other side which says that this isn't the case and that many fans of other teams could say the same thing about their team. The one area of agreement between all sides (IMO) seems to be the about the quality and consistency of the officiating.....its horrid.

Since I didn't get to see any of the post game comments by Stewart.........I'm wondering what the procedure is for evaluating the officials and how and when do they decide that someone just isn't up to par...and what actions are taken. There has to be some sort of accountability..........doesn't there?

Old
11-30-2003, 09:14 AM
Gary

Since I didn't get to see any of the post game comments by Stewart.........I'm wondering what the procedure is for evaluating the officials and how and when do they decide that someone just isn't up to par...and what actions are taken. There has to be some sort of accountability..........doesn't there?

Just my own oppinion but I think reffing is a complex issue because I feel there are forces at work instructing them to "Give both teams a equal chance to win the game. If you have to compensate by over-penalizing one team or the other then do so." I feel strongly this is the case. The reason clutching/grabbing/holding/hooking/etc... are allowed to continue is because teams with very minimal skill can still be competitive. If they consitently called games properly the Bruins would beat a team like Nashville 8-1 every time...and that's if we spotted them a goal It's the leagues way of making sure every market in every piss-ant expansion or expansion-type clubs (pittsburgh) has a chance of competing, by keeping games close. Nashville the other night for example couldve taken 3 or 4 penalties before us and did'nt. The reason is we were dominating them in their zone so the refs felt we did'nt "need" a powerplay. Right or wrong-that's my thoughts. I think anyother officials would've called the game the same way. It don't make logical sense to look at a Wings/Bluejackets game and see the penalties...Wings 2-6, Bluejackets 0-4. Should be closer to Wings 6-14, Bluejackets 0-2

Old
11-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Jeff from Maine

Typo

Sorry, I made a typo.

Obviously everyone knows that Lapointe is a physicl initiator. I meant to type Samsonov.

Mistake made.

As far as the other thing....my supposed contradiction regarding the skating or lack thereof...

I dont think they skated. I only posted the thing about skating for 1 day as a reply to the poster who said that they skated that night.

I am trying VERY hard to play nice here with you all. So, rather than call that person out and question which game they watched...I decided to give in and take their opinion, rather than debate it.

Its pointless to debate much here if you dont agree with the company line that this is the greates tem on Earth and we dont make any management,coaching or playin mistakes.

Thats why I posted the 2nd thought.

Later

Old
11-30-2003, 06:18 PM
MJMac

Skate to get calls?

This goes beyond a Bruin matter but it does especially affects us because of the size and strength of our top line.

From what I 've seen this season in the NHL, skating through checks and moving your feet are the last thing you need/want to do to get a call. You need to dive when hooked or held and act like a World Cup Soccer (i.e. pretend you've been shot) player if slashed or high-sticked or if you are a goalie and want interference called.

Keeping your feet moving doesn't help unless you dive at the end. Watch Joe and Murray fight through hooks and holds constantly, nothing is called.

Heck Ilya Kovalchuk got Boynton's stick called for hooking this year, Nick wasn't even holding it when Ilya flopped like Nick had just stabbed him.

This type of let the clutching go and only call flops officiating leads to inconsistent and, yes, bad refereeing. And the good teams (including the B's) get screwed more than the bad ones. The reason the *****ing hit such a high the other day is that against a less talented team, like Nashville, the poor officiating is more obvious. And when the Bruins completely dominate for stretches and there are no calls, then some minor non-offense results in the B's being short handed, the poor officiating is blatantly obvious.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:15 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Is it the case that the Bruins are especially prone to experiencing bad officiating or is it the case that the Bruins simply experience a lot of the type of officiating that is going to be happening? What I mean is, perhaps the "bad officiating" is simply how the games will be called. The Bruins have a big first line. There is a lot of expansion and dilution of talent in the league and the lesser teams "compete" by playing clutch and grab. Apparently, that is not going to be strictly enforced.

Where does this leave the Bruins? It seems some of the players and fans have become focused on this and want the officiating to be different. Perhaps that is not in the offing. It seems clear to me that the Bruins better figure out Plan B pretty soon and move away from having this "excuse" for their difficulties. Whether it is a valid complaint or not, if the Bruins feel they deserve to win but are being robbed then they are acknowledging that there is a reason for them to lose that is out of their control and that's a bad place to be.

Closed Thread