HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Kolanos sent down?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2003, 06:36 AM
YoteFalconfan

vCash:
Kolanos sent down?

Heard it today from a reliable source...he will play tonight for Springfield

Old
11-29-2003, 07:43 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteFalconfan
a well deserved demotion.

i am a huge fan of Kolanos but his lack of competitive spirit this year has been the biggest disappointment of the season. He has the talent but I never thought I'd ever question whether or not he had the heart to play in the NHL.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:00 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Kolanos deserves to be sent down but didn't he have to clear waivers first? If he had to clear waivers I would be surprised that he made it through. He has a ton of talent and maybe a trip to the AHL will help get his head on straight for the rest of the season.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:54 AM
roadrunner

Quote:
'Tis true!

http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/p...etails&ID=1453

So how BOUT that waiver situation? Shhhhh!

Old
11-29-2003, 08:59 AM
YoteFalconfan

vCash:
He does not need to clear waivers because he is on a two way contract.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Waldo

?????

Don't understand how he could be sent down. I must be wrong about the rules. Can anyone enlighten me? I bet his play will improve immediately. Can't say I dissaprove of the move , I'm just surprised.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:11 AM
Chris L

Send a message via ICQ to Chris L
And Bierk practices in Springfield :

Goaltender Zac Bierk will also be in Springfield to practice with the Falcons, but is not being assigned to the club

Link

Old
11-29-2003, 10:32 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
He does not need to clear waivers because he is on a two way contract.
I don't think that has anything to do with it as Zac Bierk is also on a two way contract but would have to clear waivers. It has to do with age and NHL games played.

Old
11-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Waldo

I'm sure it will do him some good. no doubt he'll play his a$$ off to get back up. of all our prospects Kolanos probably has the most talent. he's not exactly a rookie so he should make an impact right away. actually it would be nice to see him play in Springfield with Taffe and Sjostrom. could be an awesome line. anyhow I'll be anxious to see how well he performs. I hope he helps the Falcons string some wins together. I am actually amazed at how the season in Springfield is going. I would have sworn up and down that they would be a talented and competitive team. I'll blame MMcM for that. I'm hoping that KK will make a difference. can't see Freddie being up in the NHL for very long so he'll likely play in Springfield again very shortly. they don't really need a 6 min a game forward in Phx. I wouldn't be surprised if Taffe was sent down shortly but if he isn't scoring goals they won't keep him here either. if Taffe, however, starts scoring goals he will remain in the NHL forever and am hoping that happens. I am happy to at least get a glimpse of Freddie and I'm sure he'll gain some confidence from the experience.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:18 PM

Goodbye Kolanos, I wish we could have given you more of a chance. He's not been claimed yet, but I guarantee if he's on waivers then he'll be claimed.

The two way contract has nothing to do with waivers. The two way contract only means that he makes a different salary in the minors, usually less, than he does in the pros. The only loophole to waivers for him that I can think of would be if they considered it a conditioning stint, which I don't think they can do unless he is coming off an injury.

I must say it's a poor judgement by management, regardless of any defense anyone has for them.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:25 PM

Kolanos is 22 years old, and has played in 80 NHL games to day.

To my knowledge, a player of this situation can play 70 NHL games before losing waiver exemption. I don't know how it comes to play, maybe they count his age as of a different date, where if he was considered 21 years old, he would have 80 NHL games before losing waiver exemption.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:48 PM
ulf

this is indeed mismgmt, as for the waiver issue i hope the interpretation is wrong as i'd like to see kolanos in a yote uni when he gets his game back.

is his salary enough to scare away all the teams.
if he just wanted out of phx i'd like to know why.
all that said, his play deserves the demotion.

Old
11-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Greg

Rumor mill winds up

Former Boston College star Krys Kolanos could be trade bait. Though Phoenix general manager Wayne Gretzky loves Kolanos' talent, the Coyotes can't be real thrilled with two goals in 20 games. . . .

Boston Herald

"Phoenix general manager Wayne Gretzky"

Old
11-29-2003, 08:07 PM
roadrunner

Well it ain't much but I thought I'd share:

http://www.falconsahl.com/detpages/pressbox1545.shtml

Center Krystofer Kolanos, who was assigned to the Falcons by the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday, was credited with three shots on goal and created several scoring chances in his first game with Springfield.

I haven't read a thing from the press so far about waiver status either way...I guess I'm pretty nervous about that. There MUST have some way around it...the Yotes mgmt arent TOTAL dolts.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:09 PM
XX
... Waiting

Conditioning Stint?

Old
11-30-2003, 04:17 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
He played on a line last night with C. Ferraro and Westrum. You could tell right off the bat that the guy can play. Realistically talent wise he's too good for this level; hopefully his attitude straightens out while he's here and when called up (or for that matter traded) stays in the show for good.

Old
11-30-2003, 12:06 PM
hbk

if he played in the AHL he obviously was not claimed. Although I am certain that there is an age and games played requirement for waiver qualification and that Kolanos still has an exemption for this year. The easiest way to find out is by looking up whether we had to protect him for the waiver draft.

Old
11-30-2003, 01:41 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
if he played in the AHL he obviously was not claimed. Although I am certain that there is an age and games played requirement for waiver qualification and that Kolanos still has an exemption for this year. The easiest way to find out is by looking up whether we had to protect him for the waiver draft.
How about this ... The age and amount of NHL games played has to do with the start of the season and not what he plays during the current season ... therefore, Kolanos can be sent down and up freely this season since he had played under 70 games at the time of the waiver draft.

Makes any sense? Is it possible?

Old
11-30-2003, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
How about this ... The age and amount of NHL games played has to do with the start of the season and not what he plays during the current season ... therefore, Kolanos can be sent down and up freely this season since he had played under 70 games at the time of the waiver draft.

Makes any sense? Is it possible?
Could very well explain the situation. I was under the belief that the rule was considered a "living" rule that meant it would affect players status as the season went on. Since he did play a game immediately in the AHL after being demoted, he was no placed on waivers. This is the likely answer.

Old
12-01-2003, 07:23 AM
The Viking

Waiver rules

Player eligibility for the Waiver Draft is based on total games played, the number of years the player has been a professional, and the age of the player when he signed his first NHL contract.

For the purposes of regular season waivers and the Waiver Draft, the five-year exemption for an 18-year-old skater and four-year exemption for a 19-year-old skater are both reduced to three years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19-year-old playes in 11 games or more. The next two seasons, regardless of whether the skater plays any games in either season, shall count as the second and third years toward satisfying the exemption.
For purposes of regular season waivers and the Waiver Draft, the six-year exemption for an 18-year-old goaltender and five-year exemption for a 19-year-old goalternder are both reduced to four years commencing the first season that the 18 or 19-year-old plays in 11 NHL games or more. The next three seasons, regardless of whether the goalie plays any games in any season, shall count as the next three years toward satisfying the exemption.
The first season in which a player who is age 20 or older plays in one or more professional games shall constitute the first year for calculating the number of years he is exempt from waivers.
The rights granted to assign a player who is otherwise required to clear waivers to a minor league Club expire for any player, who, after clearing Waiver Draft or regular season waivers; is not sent to a minor league club, or is recalled from a minor league Club (except on emergency recall) and; remains on an League roster for 30 days or plays 10 League games.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm not sure of Kolanos' age when he signed his contract, but I'm sure the rules as stated above should clear up any confusion.

Old
12-01-2003, 11:06 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Kolanos seemed to hot dog it alot yesterday.One instance, he made a pisspoor attempt at clearing the zone, and had his clear intercepted right inside the blue line.Another time, he entered the neutral zone, tried to do a toe drag(for no apparent reason, the Dman forechecker was falling back giving him space) and had the puck poke checked away.Then on one power play, he had the puck near the boards, had passes to both defensemen wide open, instead he stood there and stick handled for a good 7-10 seconds before doing anything...I dont know with this kid...

Old
12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokEGoalie
Kolanos seemed to hot dog it alot yesterday.One instance, he made a pisspoor attempt at clearing the zone, and had his clear intercepted right inside the blue line.Another time, he entered the neutral zone, tried to do a toe drag(for no apparent reason, the Dman forechecker was falling back giving him space) and had the puck poke checked away.Then on one power play, he had the puck near the boards, had passes to both defensemen wide open, instead he stood there and stick handled for a good 7-10 seconds before doing anything...I dont know with this kid...

Have to agree. He looked like a different player against Lowell than he was the night before against Wilkes-Barre. He played like he didn't give a damn. Come to think of it wasn't that the same problem he had with the Yotes ?

Old
12-01-2003, 06:20 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093
Have to agree. He looked like a different player against Lowell than he was the night before against Wilkes-Barre. He played like he didn't give a damn. Come to think of it wasn't that the same problem he had with the Yotes ?

I think Kolanos's problem has less to do with hockey than it does with maturing as a human being and coming to terms with what happened. Physically he is ok. Mentally, his mind isn't in the game. That's my opinion. I've never questioned his talent level but I beleive hockey stopped being "fun" for Kolanos the second he was hit by Varada. He now must come to terms with hockey as his livelihood. Most players evolve into that mentality. Kolanos never really had that chance. I think he's capable of being an elite player in the NHL. He just needs time. This stint in the AHL is probably the best thing for him.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:55 AM
roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I think Kolanos's problem has less to do with hockey than it does with maturing as a human being and coming to terms with what happened. Physically he is ok. Mentally, his mind isn't in the game. That's my opinion. I've never questioned his talent level but I beleive hockey stopped being "fun" for Kolanos the second he was hit by Varada. He now must come to terms with hockey as his livelihood. Most players evolve into that mentality. Kolanos never really had that chance. I think he's capable of being an elite player in the NHL. He just needs time. This stint in the AHL is probably the best thing for him.
Thanks hbk for this post...at once compassionate but with a shrewd eye.
It's a breath of fresh air on a situation we are all frustrated with. Sometimes we forget these guys are only human, ya know?

I just found out today that I have to have root canal work, and my tooth is killing me. I can ONLY imagine what life must be like after a grade 3 concussion, let alone deal with one.

Go get 'em KK!!

Old
12-02-2003, 06:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Thanks hbk for this post...at once compassionate but with a shrewd eye.
It's a breath of fresh air on a situation we are all frustrated with. Sometimes we forget these guys are only human, ya know?

I just found out today that I have to have root canal work, and my tooth is killing me. I can ONLY imagine what life must be like after a grade 3 concussion, let alone deal with one.

Go get 'em KK!!
As much as I've been upset with Kolanos's play this season I think Kolanos deserves some special consideration here. At an age where most kids are worried whether or not they have a girlfriend, Kolanos is worrying about whether or not he's one hit away from never playing hockey again.

Closed Thread