HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

US WJC Team Announced - No Foligno

Old
12-08-2006, 06:03 AM
sensens

vCash: 500
US WJC Team Announced - No Foligno

Too bad that Foligno didn't make it - it's not always easy to tell USA Hockey's strategy. I can understand them inviting a few younger players given the number of veterans on the team at key positions, but there are a few players who I'm not sure are really playing up to a WJC selection. Five players from the University of Minnesota seems a bit suspect, especially given the modest production from a guy like Ryan Stoa - maybe they're trying to bring in some ready-made chemistry. Bobby Ryan is also absent, though that had been rumoured as a distinct possibility. In any case, this still looks like a pretty strong team, certainly among the better rosters I would think - but I'm wondering about a couple of those forwards selections.

Brian Lee is in the fold again - three times at the WJC can only help him from a development perspective. With both Erik Johnson and Jack Johnson there also, though, it will be interesting to see what his role is this year and how he performs.

Name - 2006-07 Team/NHL Team Rights

GOALTENDERS (2)
Jeff Frazee# - University of Minnesota (WCHA)/New Jersey Devils
Jeff Zatkoff - Miami (Ohio) University (CCHA)/Los Angeles Kings

DEFENSEMEN (7)
Taylor Chorney# - University of North Dakota (WCHA)/Edmonton Oilers
Erik Johnson# - University of Minnesota (WCHA)/St. Louis Blues
Jack Johnson# - University of Michigan (CCHA)/Los Angeles Kings
Kyle Lawson - University of Notre Dame (CCHA)/Carolina Hurricanes
Brian Lee*# - University of North Dakota (WCHA)/Ottawa Senators
Jamie McBain - University of Wisconsin (WCHA)/Carolina Hurricanes
Sean Zimmerman - Spokane Chiefs (WHL)/New Jersey Devils

FORWARDS (13)
Justin Abdelkader - Michigan State University (CCHA)/Detroit Red Wings
Mike Carman - University of Minnesota (WCHA)/Colorado Avalanche
Jim Fraser - Harvard University (ECACHL)
Blake Geoffrion - University of Wisconsin (WCHA)/Nashville Predators
Nate Gerbe# - Boston College (HEA)/Buffalo Sabres
Patrick Kane - London (OHL)/2007 Draft Eligible
Trevor Lewis - Owen Sound (OHL)/Los Angeles Kings
Peter Mueller# - Everett (WHL)/Phoenix Coyotes
Kyle Okposo - University of Minnesota (WCHA)/New York Islanders
Jack Skille# - University of Wisconsin (WCHA)/Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Stoa - University of Minnesota (WCHA)/Colorado Avalanche
Bill Sweatt - Colorado College (WCHA)/2007 Draft Eligible
James vanRiemsdyk - U.S. National Under-18 Team/2007 Draft Eligible

*2005 U.S. National Junior Team Member
#2006 U.S. National Junior Team Member

Source: www.usahockey.com

Last edited by sensens: 12-08-2006 at 06:30 AM.
sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Human Megaphone

This has been discussed a lot on the main board, but I really don't get US Hockey. If the idea is to punish CHL players, then why take 3 guys that are arguably not as good as Foligno et al? I just don't see how this could a huge detterent to leaving the college hockey program. I'd be pissed if Canada didn't take the best players.

Also, five players from one university is ridiculous. That team is stacked so I can see bringing a bunch, but I have to think there are guys out there who are better.

Hopefully Brian Lee plays well, he hasn't impressed me much at the last two.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:52 AM
The Fuhr*

Folingno would have looked outstanding on a line with Carmen. Hell of a PK duo they would have made.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 09:53 AM
bert

I just cant believe they didnt take Ryan, he could be the most dominant player in the tournament.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Human Megaphone

I feel like Bobby Ryan may have unrealistic expectations placed on him after being drafted behind Crosby. Hopefully he can make a succesful transition to the pro ranks. Not that Anaheim needs to get better, but because I like his game.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
discostu

Like others have said, Foligno's ommission is likely more about politics than anything else.

In Canada, they wouldn't be able to get away with not taking the best players they can, but, in the U.S., it's likely quite different. Instead, it seems, they use it as a way to reward the players that play in the U.S. College system.

But, in a short tournament like this, chemistry can be extremely important, so, perhaps the U.S. will benefit from their strategy. It would have been a nice experience for one of our key prospects, but, it's not the end of the world.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Like others have said, Foligno's ommission is likely more about politics than anything else.
In Canada, they wouldn't be able to get away with not taking the best players they can, but, in the U.S., it's likely quite different. Instead, it seems, they use it as a way to reward the players that play in the U.S. College system.
But, in a short tournament like this, chemistry can be extremely important, so, perhaps the U.S. will benefit from their strategy. It would have been a nice experience for one of our key prospects, but, it's not the end of the world.
I suspect you're right about the politics issue, but Foligno's example sort of pronounces it in that he could have been justified on virtually any line, which really isn't always the case with higher-profile draft picks. If USA Hockey wants to compete with itself in addition to the other best countries in the world that's fine, but it's a pretty strange strategy to employ when you have the ability to capitalize on a number of excellent players' last year of eligibility. Even politics can give way to opportunity, but I guess we'll see what comes out in the wash.

As for Foligno, you're right there too - the WJC can serve as an important step in many players' development, but I get the impression that Foligno has intensity and character to burn. It would have been nice to see him take on a world stage, but it's hardly the end of the world for his development. Still, I feel bad for him if it's really a political issue, due to his Canadian ties and what it probably would have meant for him personally.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I would like to point out that Nick Foligno DID play one year in the NTDP before going to Sudbury to play for his dad. It's not like he totally spurned U.S hockey...I mean it's his dad.

I don't understand this at all.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Buckleys

Whats there to figure out? its the US

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote