HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skates used in the NHL?

Old
12-08-2006, 11:30 AM
#2eddieshore

vCash: 500
Skates used in the NHL?

Does anyone know any sites which gives data on what skates are being used in the NHL. I always see pics of players with the Bauer Vapor XXX and wonder if these are the most popular?

Was also wondering if any players use any really basic mid range skates.

Thanks.

#2eddieshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Heat McManus

There is no site that I know of. Players can use any skate that is approved by the league which is most models on sale. A lot players will have the skates customized for them (you can to for an extra $150).

The most popular ones I've seen are the Bauer XXX. Some players still have XXs, Yashin had ancient X's but has switched this season.

Some players are also playing with the newest model form Bauer, the Supreme 190s although not all of them are using the longer, clear runner that it comes from the factory with.

There are a few players who are wearing Nike's now, but not many.

CCMs do not seem as popular as they were back in the day. The highest profil player wearing their Vector series is Alex Ovechkin. The Vectors have not sold well from my experience. They are extremely stiff. Many players wear Custom Tacks that are made for them by CCM.

Rbk (Reebok for the abbreviated-impaired) has two models that players are using. The 9k pump and the 8k. The 8k is basically the 9k sans pump.

I see some Europeans wearing Grafs (not sure the models) and a small number with Missions, but none from the newer models.

As you can see, most players do not use mid-range skates. I would assume because of the longevity of the skate. Also, the majority of them have some custom work done on them either coming from the factory or done by their teams training staff. Some might do the work themselves.

Hope this helps.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
windflare

If you want to know the skates that some players are using, www.modsquadhockey.com has a lot of folks that follow that. They are actually pretty knowledgeable, and some of them have inside sources to new model skates and stuff.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:38 PM
islesdave

Graf 703

islesdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:09 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

alot of vectors.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Don't forget eastons.

BTW there is plenty of players in Vector skates.

Also, many skates are made to look like other skates, namely (made to look like) the one90 skate.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:53 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Forsberg uses XXX

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 03:49 PM
sc37

vCash: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoppaMan21 View Post
Forsberg uses XXX
Among hundreds of others...having foot and ankle problems so he's tried like every skate ever made in an effort to help his problems.

But by and far, most players seem to have Vapor XXX or XX it seems. Wonder how many go to the XXXX though when it comes out.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 03:20 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Vapors are the most used skate in the NHL, pretty easily. I'm not sure why though..

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Vapors are the most used skate in the NHL, pretty easily. I'm not sure why though..
They are light and extremely stiff while providing excellent comfort. I've heard soemthing about being able to restitch parts of the skate that you can't on other brands, but I'm not positive on that

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:38 PM
ModSquad

Nike/Bauer currently holds a 52% market share, followed by CCM and Easton.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:51 PM
southpaw24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Don't forget eastons.

BTW there is plenty of players in Vector skates.

Also, many skates are made to look like other skates, namely (made to look like) the one90 skate.
theres only one skate that looks identical to the one90 and thats the bauer supreme 50's that i have look eaxactly like the one90's but have the regular tuuk blade instead of the fastblade(the ugly clearblue things)

southpaw24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:27 AM
cstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
theres only one skate that looks identical to the one90 and thats the bauer supreme 50's that i have look eaxactly like the one90's but have the regular tuuk blade instead of the fastblade(the ugly clearblue things)
A lot of guys in the NHL have older Bauer models that are made up to look like one90's. One example is Naslund.

cstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
No, there is more than a couple guys wearing skates that are made to look like the one90. And the supreme 70/50/30s don't look like the one90s besides the little blue logo and the holder.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Carlton Orr*

What are the most used skates in the NHL now?

Carlton Orr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 06:58 PM
RobertKron

Almost definitely still Bauers.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
ponder

Just from watching games I seem to notice more X60s out there than anything else, but people should keep in mind that pros have skates made to custom specs, whereas retail Vapors have a specific fit (with a reasonably narrow forefoot and not a tonne of volume) that may or may not be a good fit for your feet.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
macgyverthatshiz

X:60's, Supreme One90, MLX, Graf 703, unsure of the Easton model as I am not a fan of their products other than their sticks.

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 08:58 PM
BruinsHockey74

Pretty even between the Bauer X60s and Total Ones.

BruinsHockey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:07 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Just from watching games I seem to notice more X60s out there than anything else, but people should keep in mind that pros have skates made to custom specs, whereas retail Vapors have a specific fit (with a reasonably narrow forefoot and not a tonne of volume) that may or may not be a good fit for your feet.
actually, it's been stated several times on msh that most skates worn in the nhl are off the shelf.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
X:60's, Supreme One90, MLX, Graf 703, unsure of the Easton model as I am not a fan of their products other than their sticks.
i'd be shocked if anyone in the show is still using one90's. most guys using supremes are using to's or one95's from last year. also, mlx only has a handful of guys in their skates...if that. finally, most pro's in grafs are not wearing the 7 series but in ultra G.

Old
03-01-2011, 10:30 PM
macgyverthatshiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i'd be shocked if anyone in the show is still using one90's. most guys using supremes are using to's or one95's from last year. also, mlx only has a handful of guys in their skates...if that. finally, most pro's in grafs are not wearing the 7 series but in ultra G.
Uhmmm...yea...I look like a fool, more research will prevent me from looking like an idiot in the future

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
actually, it's been stated several times on msh that most skates worn in the nhl are off the shelf.
Really? I've heard a bunch of times that NHLers mostly wear custom skates, with 1/4 sizes, more forefoot/heel widths, choice of liner, different sizes for different feet if necessary, etc. Probably the same options you'd get if you get custom skates as a retail customer, but still custom skates. I've only seen a handful of pro return skates but they've come in 1/4 and even 1/8 sizes, with hand written info on the insole, not what you'd get off the shelf.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Really? I've heard a bunch of times that NHLers mostly wear custom skates, with 1/4 sizes, more forefoot/heel widths, choice of liner, different sizes for different feet if necessary, etc. Probably the same options you'd get if you get custom skates as a retail customer, but still custom skates. I've only seen a handful of pro return skates but they've come in 1/4 and even 1/8 sizes, with hand written info on the insole, not what you'd get off the shelf.
not saying that a lot of pro's don't go custom, but it's been said that the majority use off-the-rack skates.

Old
03-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthStaal View Post
Love my vapors!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote