Thelen

Old
12-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Lunaris

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Lunaris
Thelen

Any news on him?

Where does he stands in the org? what about his potential impact??

Thanks

Lunaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Pepsi12pac

last I heard he was in the wild organization, not yet at the NHL level.

he will probably be better than the worst.

he is a Minnesota native.

that's about as precise as I can be.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Lunaris

Send a message via ICQ to Lunaris
That's what I also know

nothing else??

Lunaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
nuckfan insk

http://www.raiderhockey.com/newsrelease_jan10.htm

raiders trade him to memorial cup hosts vancouver giants

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 06:03 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

He gets a bad rap, especially from the hometown fans who label him a bust because he isnt playing in the nhl right now.

Very strong kid, really good skater, and has a very high offensive ceiling. He is solid defensively, but he needs to use his 6'3" 212 pound frame (7% body fat!) more to be a bit more physical.

Although from what I've heard from Raider fans is that he has been hitting nearly everything insight.

He has a spot in the org, its just that the depth chart has increased due to offseason signings...he wasnt gonna make the big squad this year (no one else was either), and wouldnt have gotten any playing time in Houston either, their d-corp is full too. So since they dont have to sign him until next summer, they sent him back to the Dub to get playing time and to work on some things.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Although from what I've heard from Raider fans is that he has been hitting nearly everything insight.
i wouldnt say he has been overly hitting more. steppin into guys a bit more yes though. his shot and release and accuracy are nhl quality. he just needs to develop a bit. and he pretty much lost an important year of develpment his 2nd year in college. what is impressive is he knows this and asked to go back to junior for another year.

Old
01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
i wouldnt say he has been overly hitting more. steppin into guys a bit more yes though. his shot and release and accuracy are nhl quality. he just needs to develop a bit. and he pretty much lost an important year of develpment his 2nd year in college. what is impressive is he knows this and asked to go back to junior for another year.
he asked to go back?

Old
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
he asked to go back?
thats what i was told. if he wasnt going to get good ice in houston why not get top quality ice in all situations in the dub.

Old
01-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Wild Bill

I'm definitely not gonna label him a bust just yet. At his age, as a d-man, his margin for error is very high. No point in putting him in a situation he is not capable of dealing with. If junior hockey is what he needs right now, so be it.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
thats what i was told. if he wasnt going to get good ice in houston why not get top quality ice in all situations in the dub.

hmmm

Old
01-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
he asked to go back?
I talked to one of the Wild players toward the end of training camp, and he told me that a lot of the older guys were pretty impressed that AJ really wanted to go back to junior because he thought that was the best place for this stage of his development. I thought he had it wrong, because at that time Doug was indicating that he was going to Houston, but two days later, the team announced that he was going back to junior. I found that interesting.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I would find it hard to believe a guy with his skill set wouldn't make it some day - his path has been a little non-traditional, but he seems to have developed a good attitude through out his trials. He and Belle could be quite the big, mobile pairing if they develop according to plan.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
nuckfan insk

so there is a thread on the prospect board saying he wont be signed. is this true ?

Old
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
vitogor

Quote:
so there is a thread on the prospect board saying he wont be signed. is this true ?

I wouldn't be surprised. A 21-year-old former 1st round pick, who is still a #3/4 defenseman on his junior team... Doesn't sound too promising to me.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:58 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Saw him live tonight, wasn't particularly good. He is big and pretty physical, but wasn't a very good passer and I don't think he even got a shot on net. Seemed like a dime-a-dozen junior player.

*just one game, but my take anyways.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 12:20 PM
ceber

He must've been doing something right that one season though. Wonder if he's the type of guy who could turn into a player given the right environment and right attitude.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
At the bottom of this article from the Minneapolis-St.Paul Star-Tribune, it says that the Wild is not going to try to sign Thelen before the June 1st deadline. That does not say much for Thelen, although I'm sure someone will gamble a draft pick on him.

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/1164539.html

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 12:03 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by habscout View Post
At the bottom of this article from the Minneapolis-St.Paul Star-Tribune, it says that the Wild is not going to try to sign Thelen before the June 1st deadline. That does not say much for Thelen, although I'm sure someone will gamble a draft pick on him.

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/1164539.html
The article explains that if the Wild allow Thelen to re-enter the draft then they will be compensated witha a 42 pick.

A second round pick sounds pretty good ... I've never heard of this kind of exchange. Is this accurate? .... If so, when is the last time this has been done?

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
The article explains that if the Wild allow Thelen to re-enter the draft then they will be compensated witha a 42 pick.

A second round pick sounds pretty good ... I've never heard of this kind of exchange. Is this accurate? .... If so, when is the last time this has been done?
Yeah, it is accurate. It's a compensatory pick. The way it works is, if you fail to sign your 1st round choice within... what... 3 years? I think 3 years... you get a 2nd round pick at the same spot as that 1st round pick. Since he was the #12 overall selction in his draft year, we would get the 12th selection in the 2nd round, and everyone else slides down one spot.

It's not as if the Wild are totally writing him off - they've just made a decision that the #42 pick in this year's draft is probably a better value than Thelen. The kid's probably still got a career ahead of him somewhere; it's just the same as if they decided to trade him for a mid-2nd round pick, really.

Old
05-13-2007, 09:38 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Yeah, it is accurate. It's a compensatory pick. The way it works is, if you fail to sign your 1st round choice within... what... 3 years? I think 3 years... you get a 2nd round pick at the same spot as that 1st round pick. Since he was the #12 overall selction in his draft year, we would get the 12th selection in the 2nd round, and everyone else slides down one spot.

It's not as if the Wild are totally writing him off - they've just made a decision that the #42 pick in this year's draft is probably a better value than Thelen. The kid's probably still got a career ahead of him somewhere; it's just the same as if they decided to trade him for a mid-2nd round pick, really.

well, in a sense, they could still sign him and get the 42nd; if Houston signs him, they should still get the compensation.

Old
05-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
well, in a sense, they could still sign him and get the 42nd; if Houston signs him, they should still get the compensation.
That's not my sense of how it works, though. He just goes back in the draft, doesn't he? I admit I'm not entirely up-to-date on every detail of the new CBA, but I think he just goes back in the draft and anyone can take him. And someone will, fer sher.

Old
05-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Holly Gunning

Thelen is too old to go back in the draft. The article is wrong, he will be a free agent instead.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Thelen is too old to go back in the draft. The article is wrong, he will be a free agent instead.
You sure? Over the last week or so, I've seen several articles in both local papers saying essentially the same thing. I wouldn't expect them both to be that wrong for so long.

Old
05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Holly Gunning

I'm 95% sure.

And, to add another layer, guys drafted out of college now have an August 15 deadline. My gut says he falls into that.

Sometimes once something gets into print, it's like a brushfire -- spreads quickly and hard to contain.

Ask on the prospects board if you want more opinions. Lay out all the facts -- year drafted, out of where. There's no more Van Ryn loophole, so the fact that he jumped to juniors shouldn't apply.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Wild Thing

And to make it more complicated, I think he was drafted right out of high school. I believe he had signed with the U of M, but had not yet entered college. I'm not sure what (if any) relevance that would have, but it does make it harder for me to sort out what his situation is.

This stuff used to be a lot easier to keep track of under the old CBA. There are way too many new quirks for me to keep track of now.