Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thelen

Old
05-15-2007, 01:22 AM
CRDragon
¯\_(シ)_/¯

vCash: 500
I've seen him play in the Vancouver Giants, been pretty solid.
Top 4 defensemen tho, prob needs to improve more on the physical side of things for him.
Decent prospect i'd say

CRDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:10 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
And to make it more complicated, I think he was drafted right out of high school. I believe he had signed with the U of M, but had not yet entered college. I'm not sure what (if any) relevance that would have, but it does make it harder for me to sort out what his situation is.

This stuff used to be a lot easier to keep track of under the old CBA. There are way too many new quirks for me to keep track of now.
I think he had one NCAA season in him when drafted. He took an accelerated path, didn't he? I seem to remember reading something about that.. summer school, etc. so he could graduate early??

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Holly Gunning

Just to follow up on the question of errors in your papers, I've found another:

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/1183544.html
Quote:
Wild signs winger from 2005 draft
Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription), MN - May 14, 2007
The Wild must sign 2005 draft picks Kristofer Westblom, Kyle Bailey and Anthony Aiello and 2004 first-round pick AJ Thelen by June 1 if it wishes to retain ...
Aiello, as a college player, does not need to be signed for another two years.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Just to follow up on the question of errors in your papers, I've found another:

http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/1183544.html

Aiello, as a college player, does not need to be signed for another two years.
I believe they printed a retraction of the Aiello statement recently

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 04:18 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
I think he had one NCAA season in him when drafted. He took an accelerated path, didn't he? I seem to remember reading something about that.. summer school, etc. so he could graduate early??
MSU grad here, and was a season ticket holder for his season w/ us (sat by his family, actually.)
hope this helps clear up the reason(s) for his 'accelerated path' :
http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=28970

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Hockeymomma

AJ -Mem Cup Champ

He was a major reason they won the Mem Cup, he accepted whatever role he was given....Coach said post game that he played the whole week with broken fingers and took needles to stay in there.

6"3, 210 skates great, booming shot and played excellent defence.
I suspect he will go in the late first as this is not a strong draft for D.

Hockeymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymomma View Post
He was a major reason they won the Mem Cup, he accepted whatever role he was given....Coach said post game that he played the whole week with broken fingers and took needles to stay in there.

6"3, 210 skates great, booming shot and played excellent defence.
I suspect he will go in the late first as this is not a strong draft for D.
Thelen is already drafted back in 2005. We're discussing if we are going to resign him since he is labeled an almost confirmed bust even though most of us consider him already. Just needs confirmation from the Wild management in the form of no signing

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 04:17 AM
AgentNaslund*

Ive been following the Giants closely, well very closley since the Nucks got eliminated, Thelen looks solid. Basically waht the guy a few posts above me said. Hes solid, he dishes out hits, nothing great offensively, a solid stay at home guy.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 05:46 AM
MN_Gopher

At this point in Thelen's career is solid good enough. He should have been a senior at MSU this last year. Anything short of dominating the NCAA as a senior would be a bust IMO for a top 15 pick. We do not need to get into a NCAA vs CHL here. But this could have been his 5th year in the CHL too. Aren't guys that are anything dominating by now or at least recoginized as top pairings?

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Vik

To be fair, he's a 3/4 guy on the team with the best defense in the league. But yes, a former pick as high as he was taken should be dominating the league as a 19 year old and he's 20. Steven Later was a dominant defenseman in his overage season and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are people here who haven't heard that name before.
This certainly doesn't mean he can't turn out well but it isn't looking very promising.

Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Surly Furious

I'd still like to see the Wild sign him - our prospects on D are few enough as is. He hasn't developed as expected, but he still would be one of our better prospects on defense.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 09:46 AM
montyminny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik View Post
To be fair, he's a 3/4 guy on the team with the best defense in the league. But yes, a former pick as high as he was taken should be dominating the league as a 19 year old and he's 20. Steven Later was a dominant defenseman in his overage season and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are people here who haven't heard that name before.
This certainly doesn't mean he can't turn out well but it isn't looking very promising.
Actually he is 21 now. He playing in a league of mostly 18 and 19 year olds. As a 21 year old, he should be playing in either the NHL or AHL based on where he was drafted. He is not. Instead he is a 2nd pairing defenseman on what is reported on this board as a very talented defense oriented team. If he was still 18 or 19, I am guessing the Wild would have no problem justifying the money he is suppose to receive as a #12 overall pick in the draft.

montyminny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Hockeymomma

Thelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyminny View Post
Actually he is 21 now. He playing in a league of mostly 18 and 19 year olds. As a 21 year old, he should be playing in either the NHL or AHL based on where he was drafted. He is not. Instead he is a 2nd pairing defenseman on what is reported on this board as a very talented defense oriented team. If he was still 18 or 19, I am guessing the Wild would have no problem justifying the money he is suppose to receive as a #12 overall pick in the draft.

He accepted the pairing simply to help the team win and to not break up the top pair that has played together for two years. He was arguably their best D in the playoffs and stepped into the first spot immediately when Franson was injured during the WHL Playoffs.

Hockeymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
topshelf20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymomma View Post
He accepted the pairing simply to help the team win and to not break up the top pair that has played together for two years. He was arguably their best D in the playoffs and stepped into the first spot immediately when Franson was injured during the WHL Playoffs.
Well, he should be their BEST DEFENSEMAN PERIOD. He may have played like that in the playoffs, but he needed to play like that every game. A few playoff games don't make you an NHLer.

topshelf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 03:45 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf20 View Post
Well, he should be their BEST DEFENSEMAN PERIOD. He may have played like that in the playoffs, but he needed to play like that every game. A few playoff games don't make you an NHLer.
It shows he has the potential, he just needs to become more constant every game.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Vik

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyminny View Post
His birthday is in March so for most of the season he was a 20 year old. But I guess I should've phrased it a little differently because in the CHL this year any player born in '86 is considered a 20 year old regardless of whether or not their 21st birthday has passed.

Vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Bob Stauffer

On Thelen

Wild staff didn't do there homework on this guy.
You take a guy 12th overall and not sign him.
Something must be up.
My sources indicate that he won't be taken in the first round of the 2007 draft

Bob Stauffer
Team 1260
Edmonton

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
ceber

First ever first-round bust. You heard it here first. Never before in the history of the NHL has anyone been taken so high and ....

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Big Daddy

Sooo.... any word if he has been signed yet??

I've watched a lot of Giants games this year and here is how AJ was played since his arrival:

2nd unit PP for 95% of the time with Blum (89), he was occasionally used on the first PP when one of the two top PP guys was not playing well.

2nd unit PK for most of the season with Regner (89). He is solid defensively and reliable in his own end. If there was a 5-3 he was often used as the solo defenseman but this was dependant on if Festerling (D) was in the box.

Even strength he was paired with Regner for most of the season. When he first arrived he was paired differently but there was no chemistry so the change was made. This pairing was primarily used for other teams 2nd, 3rd, or 4th forward lines.

As mentioned earlier, first pairing was Festerling/Blum as shutdown guys against the top line. Thelan/Regner as second pairing because they were also a solid shutdown line. Third pairing was Franson/Mikkelson because of defensive weaknesses, strange as Franson/Mikkelson were the top PP unit. So yes, AJ could be considered a 3-4 guy but this is complicated by the overall strength of the Giants D. Arguably they were considered to have the top D in the entire CHL. While it is true that at 21 he should be the dominate force on the team, he may have suffered from the existing D chemistry that was well in place prior to his arrival. In Prince Albert he was the top guy. I would not write him off, why not try him with your farm team and see how it works out.

He really elevated his play during the playoffs and mem cup. As mentioned earlier he did have a broken finger in the mem cup and was getting a shot to ease this pain. As local shots go, they can have the desired effect, fall short of the desired effect, or numb the wrist/forearm also. I give him props for battling through this, having success, and contributing in a big way to a mem cup championship.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 05:33 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
First ever first-round bust. You heard it here first. Never before in the history of the NHL has anyone been taken so high and ....

All is well .... We get to reload with a 2nd round pick and 9 out of 10 dentists agree that a good D-men can be plucked in the 2nd.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
vitogor

So, if I understand correctly, today was the deadline, and he wasn't signed? Bye-bye, AJ?

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 10:51 PM
tailfins

Thelen was not signed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2890725

tailfins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:51 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Any official word on whether or not Thelen will be in the 2007 draft? Or does he become a free agent?

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:24 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Word is the NHL has ruled he has to go back into the draft but AJ and his agent are appealing through the NHLPA.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Hockey FAN8888

Lol

I went to college with him... he was kicked of the team for underage drinking!!!!!!!!

Hockey FAN8888 is offline   Reply With Quote