Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Conroy (kind of a rumour)

Old
12-09-2006, 08:15 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Conroy (kind of a rumour)

Sorry if this is old new. I heard this today (Dec 9th). No link, it was on Hockey Night in Canada, sattlelite hot stove. They just mentioned that the Thrashers are looking to up grade on there center position for Kozlov and Hossa. Apparently they are looking at Craig Conroy but not now but later on because of hte salary issue. They didn't say who would be traded though. Any thoughts? Once again sorry if it's been reported already.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Rucchin is an absolute bust...but I don't know if Conroy would be an too much of upgrade. Ideally, Metropolit should center Kovalchuk and Slater could hang in there with Hossa and Kozlov. Rucchin should be moved for ANYTHING so that we don't have to pay for him next year. He's driving Kovalchuk NUTS. Bring up Krog...anything!!!

The Kovalchuk-Rucchin-Mellanby is laughably bad. It's like demoting Kovy to the fourth line and then having them play fifteen minutes at even strength.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Whaddagoal

Slightly old news, but Kovalchuk does really need a new center still than Hossa and Kozlov -- at least that line has two superstar wingers . Rucchin was holding up for a bit with Ilya, but not really holding up the last bunch of games. You've essentially got two slow guys with Kovalchuk (considering Mellanby). The team needs to change at least one and get more wheels on that line. However, I don't think Conroy would be the right man for the job though.

Toxostoma, as for Rucchin, he's been alright - fallen in and out of the game, more so "out" lately. At this point he hsould be a 2nd and 3rd line center. He shouldn't be with Kovy ideally, but this teeam has no one else. Not sure Conroy would do that much more....to be honest. Waiving rucchin would be a bad move, and [ersonally, I wouldn't remove him completely from the team. Actually I believe a lot of the Rangers woes this season have been because they needed a guy like Rucchin BACK on their team. They're also low on center, and Rucchin wasn't too he wasn't too bad for them at all last season.

Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:18 PM

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
The Kovalchuk-Rucchin-Mellanby is laughably bad. It's like demoting Kovy to the fourth line and then having them play fifteen minutes at even strength.
Exactly what I was thinking.

New lines:

Kozlov-(tonights Lotto winner)-Hossa
Larson-Holik-Vigier
?-?-Sim
Kovalchuk-Rucchin-Mellanby

Now all Kovy has to do is work his way out of the doghouse.

Last edited by #37: 12-09-2006 at 11:28 PM.
#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Thrasher King 18*

Send a message via MSN to Thrasher King 18* Send a message via Yahoo to Thrasher King 18*
Id rather have Jason Allison

Thrasher King 18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:25 PM
TheCrossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
Actually I believe a lot of the Rangers woes this season have been because they needed a guy like Rucchin BACK on their team. They're also low on center, and Rucchin wasn't too he wasn't too bad for them at all last season.
Tom Renney actually mentioned during the Rangers early struggles that they were missing a "galvanizing personality" in the room, which most people took to mean Rucchin.

TheCrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:27 PM

vCash: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherKing View Post
Id rather have Jason Allison
Well, I was wrong, there is a way we could get older and slower...

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Safir*

IMO, the Thrashers need to call up Jason Krog and put him on a line with Kovalchuk. I'm really baffled as to why he was send back to the AHL. Over there he and his line (Darren Haydar & Brett Sterling) are tearing the league appart. I think that Krog is close to scoring 2 point per game.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaddagoal View Post
Toxostoma, as for Rucchin, he's been alright - fallen in and out of the game, more so "out" lately. At this point he hsould be a 2nd and 3rd line center. He shouldn't be with Kovy ideally, but this teeam has no one else. Not sure Conroy would do that much more....to be honest. Waiving rucchin would be a bad move, and [ersonally, I wouldn't remove him completely from the team. Actually I believe a lot of the Rangers woes this season have been because they needed a guy like Rucchin BACK on their team. They're also low on center, and Rucchin wasn't too he wasn't too bad for them at all last season.
You have the same problem as Rangers. We have Cullen, a speedy defensive center who can't play playmake on the 2nd line. While Shanahan can manage it, he gets PP time, Prucha doesn't. The second line has been downright awful and some voices have been crying about "bring Rucchin back." Right now Prucha has been demoted and Immonen has been brought up as center from Hartford, which tells you the situation is quite desperate.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrossbar View Post
Tom Renney actually mentioned during the Rangers early struggles that they were missing a "galvanizing personality" in the room, which most people took to mean Rucchin.
Don should give him back for "future considerations."

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 10:37 AM
toph2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
You have the same problem as Rangers. We have Cullen, a speedy defensive center who can't play playmake on the 2nd line. While Shanahan can manage it, he gets PP time, Prucha doesn't. The second line has been downright awful and some voices have been crying about "bring Rucchin back." Right now Prucha has been demoted and Immonen has been brought up as center from Hartford, which tells you the situation is quite desperate.
We'll trade you Rucchin for Prucha.

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 11:18 AM
teddygmr

Conroy would be great with Kovalchuk

Getting Conroy would be a great move!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
GetPucksDeep

Rucchin + Mellanby = The Assisted Living Line.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Magnus Fulgur

If anyone wants Rucchin back in NYC, that possibility should be investigated. Prucha with Kovy sounds good to me.

Old
12-10-2006, 04:27 PM
northernKing

Conroy would be a real good fit in ATL. As a fan of both teams I really see a possible deal happening. Conroy is a solid complimentary player. He has scored 20 goals in 3 of the last 4 yrs and can really contribute with highly skilled linemates ( Iginla/Demitra) I also think ATL may look into obtaining Norstom or maybe even Visnovsky, depending on how close to a Cup contender they think they are.

LA would be looking for a solid prospect or a decent prospect and pick IMO.

Coburn/Valabik/Boureet or maybe Popovic and a 1st?

Conroy and Visnovsky would be a bigger deal with some salary dumping like Rucchin coming back with a couple of youngsters and a 1st rd pick.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Shameus

What I wouldn't mind seeing for the next couple of weeks.

Kapanen sent to Chicago.

Kovy-Krog-Metro
Kozlov-Slater-Hossa
Larsen-Holik-JP VJ
Sim-Rucchin-Mellanby

I think those lines get the offense going. The main reason Krog was sent down, wasn't due to his offense, it was due to his defensive short comings. Put him on a line with Kovy and let the offense flow. Put Metro on the wing and I think that line starts averaging a point and a half a game at least. You then add Slater doing the dirty work for the Hossa and Kozlov line and we start to have 2 offensive top lines instead of 1 offensive line and 3 3rd lines.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 07:21 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

If Kovalchuk would play more consistent defense, I think Metro would get to play with him more. Rucchin is there because the more Kovy DOESN'T score, the worse he is about not playing inside his blueline. It's a toilet bowl spiral. Bad habits die slowly.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Magnus Fulgur

How the heck is Kovy going to score with Rucchin who has a paltry 4 assists in the last 23 games while playing with three of the top ten point-getters in the NHL??? You CAN'T score when your centerman can't get out of his own way offensively. When has Rucchin made a nice pass to ANYONE as a Thrasher? WHEN??? Rucchin is defensively responsible (a minus player, actually, and worse than Kovy)...blah blah BLAH: he is absolutely offensively IRRESPONSIBLE.

Old
12-10-2006, 11:29 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I am curioius of the thrash would be interested in either Horcroff(oiler) or Morrison(nucks)

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 06:51 AM
kingsfan25

FYI, the trade rumours surrounding Conroy were reallly affecting his game early in the year...he's also been played a great deal on the checking line this season due to McAuley being injured. He's been better lately...

...except for a penchant for taking terrible offensive zone obstruction penalties every once in a while...

If you put him with Kovalchuk he will produce just like he did with Iginla.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:03 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
When has Rucchin made a nice pass to ANYONE as a Thrasher? WHEN???
I think I remember him zinging a good one to the referee...

...of course it the trailing ref!

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Michigan Wolverine

Wow, haven't seen the Thrashers much this year, but if Rucchin is as bad as stated, Conroy would absolutely be an upgrade.

I recall the Rucchin = Conroy argument being made earlier this year, but it sounds like Rucchin isn't getting it done offensively. Meanwhile, as others have said, Conroy's numbers are starting to reflect his increased offensive role lately. But it's tough when Kopitar gets to center the first line on a team that arguably only has 4-5 top-six forwards (Conroy included).

I can see why there are so many rumors surrounding Conroy, but it wouldn't shock me if the Kings kept him around until next year's trade deadline. I think his recent fondness for offensive zone penalties is a fluke, and otherwise he's shown no signs of slowing down despite his age. With the paucity of top-six forwards on the Kings, they might not be as eager to deal as the rumors would have everyone believe.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2006, 10:16 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

seems like every few days there is a Conroy rumour

with both Peca and the guy from the sens going down I imagine it will increase

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 05:45 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Conroy might go to Toronto after the Peca injury.

The Thrashers need to go after much bigger fish at the deadline. We need a rental for nothing but salary dump and a 6th rounder the other way.

I'd like to rent Shane Doan for a few months. If Forsberg comes back and can see clearly and skate, we might land him.

No more Conroy talk please!

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 07:51 PM
danman27a

Vyborny from Columbus would be a nice pickup. Much more of an impact player than Conroy.

danman27a is offline   Reply With Quote