Notices

Conroy (kind of a rumour)

Old
12-24-2006, 08:08 PM
John-Eric Iannicello

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
Conroy might go to Toronto after the Peca injury.

The Thrashers need to go after much bigger fish at the deadline. We need a rental for nothing but salary dump and a 6th rounder the other way.

I'd like to rent Shane Doan for a few months. If Forsberg comes back and can see clearly and skate, we might land him.

No more Conroy talk please!

You want to trade a 6th rounder for Forsberg or Doan?

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Fravashis

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman27a View Post
Vyborny from Columbus would be a nice pickup. Much more of an impact player than Conroy.
columbus is starting to play well again, i think they actually sneak into the playoffs in the west. I dont think they will be sellers at the deadline.

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 09:50 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Carolina dealt Niklas Nordgren, Krystofer Kolanos and a second-round pick in 2007
for Recchi, and Boulerice and Zigomanis for Weight and a prospect last year.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic calling for a 6th rounder, but it won't take a major round draft pick or a major player to get either Doan or Forsberg. I'm just as tired of seeing people on the other sides call for guys like Coburn and Valabik for loaners. Especially if they are having bad seasons.

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 12-25-2006 at 10:11 AM.
ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Shameus

The way this team has played without him, should show DW how little this team needs Rucchin, so I say throw him into any deal that gets talked about. While we do need a playmaking center.....we don't need another center. I mean we had 3 centers playing on a line the other night (slater-dmac-metro; although metro has been playing better as a wing.) I could see trading Vish (I doubt that HiBob let's deVries leave, he likes his leadership , and Hnidy or Coburn would probably move into Vish's spot when X is back and Sutton returns) and Rucchin together in a package. I like the job that Vish does at times, but I think that his value is higher than that of deVries right now.....and I think that Sutton has improved to the point that I want to see him on our blueline come playoff time, minus the dumb stuff that gets us called thugs. I also want to say that I like the job Krog has been doing with the first unit PP and between Kozlov and Hossa and would like to see him continue to get an chance to be successful in that situation.

So trade offer:

From Atlanta: combo of Vish, Rucchin, Kapanen, draft picks/prospects

To Atlanta: playmaking center and/or scoring winger to play with Kovy.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 02:12 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

See, that's exactly the over-compensation that needs to stop being mentioned!

From Atlanta: MacKenzie/Slater/4th round pick
To Atlanta: either Doan, Nagy, or Forsberg.

It DOESN'T take that much to make these loaner deals!!!! Stop short-selling the team. Look at other deals. We aren't talking Hossa/Heatley.

We don't need to trade any d-men. It takes defensive depth in the playoffs. That's possibly another 28 games in 2 months. Injuries will happen in the 2nd season.

Move Rucchin to the 4th line and dump Slater. He's not improving.

Old
12-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Shameus

Quote:
See, that's exactly the over-compensation that needs to stop being mentioned!

From Atlanta: MacKenzie/Slater/4th round pick
To Atlanta: either Doan, Nagy, or Forsberg.

It DOESN'T take that much to make these loaner deals!!!! Stop short-selling the team. Look at other deals. We aren't talking Hossa/Heatley.

We don't need to trade any d-men. It takes defensive depth in the playoffs. That's possibly another 28 games in 2 months. Injuries will happen in the 2nd season.

Move Rucchin to the 4th line and dump Slater. He's not improving.
Yes, but Slater makes a third of Rucchin's salary, Kapanen makes like 20% of Rucchin's salary, and Vish is basically a rental because he is in a walk year (as is most of our defense). Rucchin is a salary dump. I do not want to be paying my 4th line center 2+ million. Kapanen or Slater's salary, are more condusive to the reduced 4th line role. This team is deep in 3rd and 4th line centers. Holik, Rucchin, Slater, Kapanen, Dmac. I want Holik playing the 3rd line and I am still not thrilled playing my 3rd line center 4+ million, although he has been playing very well lately.

This team needs to move Rucchin's salary if they want to afford to pick up quality at the deadline and be able to sign something other than role players next summer. The only players signed after next season are Havelid and Kovy. The team has got to start freeing up money. Rucchin's 2+million is an anchor around this team's neck. This team doesn't need him and the last few games should prove that. Do you really want him back on a line with Kovy?

And yeah we have defensive depth, but no scoring depth, so we trade from our area of strength to get our weakness better. X will be back before the deadline and Sutton will be back before the playoffs and Popovic is still down in the minors and would be a solid 3rd pair guy. We have 9 NHL caliber defensemen........just not a #1 caliber NHL defenseman.

Besides, I don't think Slater23fan wants to have to change his name again.

Old
12-25-2006, 05:57 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Teams looking to dump old vets for a playoff run are DEFINITELY not interested in picking up salaries going back. If Rucchin is useless and we owe him another year, why would anyone else take him?

You have to think with a modicum of reality and hockey intelligence (no offense). Not wishful thinking!!!

Rucchin would play on my 4th line with this team because we can't move him (LeClaire, Nedved, Leetch, Allison....no one wants any of these dinosaurs), I'd dangle Slater. He's replaceable. I'd also try to move MacKenzie which might be why he was called up instead of Haydar to play with Krog his linemate.

Karl Stewart and Weaver were shown off for a few games and dealt in the past, MacKenzie is never going to have a spot on this team, especially as Bourret and Sterling and Little develop.

This has to be DeVries last season at his salary, and I hope DW doesn't pay Sutton another 2 mil. with the other youthful d-men in the system. This summer, I'd dump Sutton and DeVries and go for a 4 million dollar solid NHL All-star defenseman. A TRUE number 1 guy.

And I repeat, (maybe from another thread, ) playoff teams need defensive depth more than anything else, short of goaltending. No dumping d-men this year. How do you know how XLB is going to recover once he starts playing? Will Sutton's ankle hold up? And you know Coburn will hit the rookie wall.

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 12-25-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old
12-25-2006, 11:04 PM
cosape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
What I wouldn't mind seeing for the next couple of weeks.

Kapanen sent to Chicago.
Are you still thinking that this should be done? What has Krog done during last games even he has been playing with Kozlov and Hossa? For sure not more than Kapanen did in the same position. And what do you think about defensive playing between those two?

In my opinion the team should start to play defensively like in the season first games or like against Devils. Sometimes it works but sometimes looks really bad. I like more 2-1 wins than 6-5 after shootout. Let's take Kari back to leading goalies what comes to stats.

cosape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:00 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Carolina dealt Niklas Nordgren, Krystofer Kolanos and a second-round pick in 2007
for Recchi, and Boulerice and Zigomanis for Weight and a prospect last year.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic calling for a 6th rounder, but it won't take a major round draft pick or a major player to get either Doan or Forsberg. I'm just as tired of seeing people on the other sides call for guys like Coburn and Valabik for loaners. Especially if they are having bad seasons.
Recchi and Weight do not compare to Forsberg and Doan.

Doan is a much younger player and a better playoff fit type player.

Forsberg when healthy is one of the best in the league.

Doan and Forsberg will fetch alot more then what Recchi and Weight did. Weight at least recieved a 1st and two 4th rounders aswell as two players. I wouldn't be surprised if they both pulled a 1st rounder and a mid to upper level prospect. And that is not far off interms of a return.

Teams who feel they are so close to being a Cup winner, but just need that extra boost, will sacrifice a higher end prospect to get there. In a cap world where it's hard to keep a great team together, teams won't take chances in giving up cup runs. The GM's know it, and so do the owners.

Old
12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Forsberg WHEN healthy. He hasn't been all year.

Doan's been in and out of the line up with back injuries all year. His stats are awful. Neither are any better than the 2 guys that helped Carolina to a Stanley Cup.

What first rounder did Weight pull? Boulerice and Zigomanis for Weight and a prospect, right off the wire post.

the one thing for sure tho, is that there are more teams in contention than not, so dealing teams will be able to sit on their goods until the last hour.

Old
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Forsberg WHEN healthy. He hasn't been all year.

Doan's been in and out of the line up with back injuries all year. His stats are awful. Neither are any better than the 2 guys that helped Carolina to a Stanley Cup.

What first rounder did Weight pull? Boulerice and Zigomanis for Weight and a prospect, right off the wire post.

the one thing for sure tho, is that there are more teams in contention than not, so dealing teams will be able to sit on their goods until the last hour.

Weight pulled a 1st rounder, which St. Louis used to draft Berlund I believe.

Taken off the TSN website:

St. Louis Blues traded Doug Weight and the rights to Erkki Rajamaki to the Carolina Hurricanes for Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, a 1 st and a 4th round selections in 2006 and a 4th round selection in 2007.

So Weight, who isn't a gamebreaker like Forsberg is pulled 3 draft picks. Which is better then the proposed 6th rounder (I know it was a joke) you mentioned.

Teams only have to bank on Forsberg being healthy for the playoffs. And I agree Doan has been bad this year, but so has Phoenix. If he is healthy come deadline time I'm sure he'll pull something similar to Weights deal.

Another player that could pull something nice is Sundin. Arguably one of the best deadline additions at years end. Or a Darcy Tucker who, because of his strong season may inflate his price.

Teams are willing to sacrifice for ultimate glory if they see the need to. Players who had HORRIBLE years last year, like Friesen pulled a 2nd round draft pick in exchange for his services and he only had 7pts all year.

And teams are in contention now, but now teams are hitting injury bugs. Dallas has a bunch that are wounded, Columbus lost their starter, Speeza is out for Ottawa, Toronto lost a key player in Peca and some othes are banged up. Teams will slowly slip out of contention, and as they do more teams will look to bolster their line ups.

My point is, teams will deal youth if they feel the player they are aquiring will make that big of an impact. Teams will deal youth from a position of strength (like Anaheim with forwards, or Atlanta with Defence - I'm guessing thats where your strength is).

Don't underestimate the drive that owners have to win now in a cap world. If it means sacrificing a prospect to win now they'll do it. They won't overpay like in the older NHL, but prospects will still be on the move. It all comes down to how imporant the certain player is to the team that wants to acquire him.

Old
12-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Toronto fan coming in to just appease his curiosity...

What do you think Atlanta would give for Sundin at the deadline if the Leafs were out of it and the NTC was waived? I think you guys have the $1.7M needed to fit him in, if you don't then just shoot me in the face or propose salary coming back.

1st round pick and/or Bourret?

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 09:33 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman27a View Post
Vyborny from Columbus would be a nice pickup. Much more of an impact player than Conroy.
I doubt CBus would let Vyborny go. He's been playing great lately.

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Fravashis

Quote:

Besides, I don't think Slater23fan wants to have to change his name again.
That would be the suck

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:42 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

[QUOTE=Jericho87;7474265]Weight pulled a 1st rounder, which St. Louis used to draft Berlund I believe.

Thanks for the article. I just saw the 4th rounder in '07 where I looked.

The longer this goes, I think the less chance there is that we will get anyone. Last year, we were on the bubble and with the heat on to make the playoffs, DW did NOTHING.

This year, we have 5 injuries right now and are still winning. We have depth on defense and some offense coming back in Mellanby (PP) and Rucchin (like it or not).

I think the only way DW deals this year is if Rucchin's hip is chronic and he can't come back for the long haul.

NO WAY do we deal any of this year's defensemen. I doubt he deals Popovic, that gives leverage when he doesn't offer big salaries to anyone he wants to bring back, and he won't deal any of Bourret, Valabik, or Little. I hope he doesn't deal Sterling or Lewis.

Old
12-28-2006, 02:14 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Here's a thought:

Ottawa is stinking and sinking quickly. Ya think Dany Boy may want to leave a team that loses a lot to go to a team that's at the top of the standings?

I'm willing to bet the Sens hold a fire sale in February and blow the current team up.

Old
12-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Shameus

Found this in an article from Friday's AJC.

http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...thrashers.html

Here is a small bit from the article

Once Sutton and Garnet Exelby return, the Thrashers will have a surplus of defenseman, leading Waddell to say he might trade one, although he cautioned about how "you don't want to get short" if injuries arise again.

Old
12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Knight of the Realm
Heart & Soul

what would you want with conroy for valabik?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Found this in an article from Friday's AJC.

http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...thrashers.html

Here is a small bit from the article

Once Sutton and Garnet Exelby return, the Thrashers will have a surplus of defenseman, leading Waddell to say he might trade one, although he cautioned about how "you don't want to get short" if injuries arise again.
Seriously I can't wait til XLB come back into the line up! I miss him a lot ^^

Tristelune is offline   Reply With Quote