Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top 10 Active Russian Defenders?

Old
01-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Ayvengo96

vCash: 500
Top 10 Active Russian Defenders?

What do you guys think are the best Active defenders?
I like Zaitsev alot and wanted to see where he ranks...

Ayvengo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Atas2000

That's actually a tough one, 'cause yes, the russian D isn't top notch. too many middle of the pack guys. I wouldn't know whom to put on top. Well I say we have:

OD(spare me from the Koltsov argument please. yes, he scores a lot):

1.Markov (and that's bad, because he's getting old and actually was good defensively in the past. not anymore)

2.Koltsov (happy, Salavat fans?)

3.Gonch(like Markov hasn't the legs to play his defensive style anymore- and is 100 years old)

4.call God! let him send us some more D-men.

DD:

1.Yemelin(who else? if only this hardass Therien would finally let him play some offence. it's not Yemelin's fault their other defencemen just suck at defence, including P.K.)

2.Volchenkov

Guys who actually can do it all:

1.Nikulin(not a homer pick)

2.Voynov(the Olympics have shown he's not ready to lead. the role behind Doughty has made him too complacent in that department)

3.Zaytsev(playing up to potential this season)

4.Mironov(under the radar because of injuries)

5.Chudinov(has become a tough hitter too. his offence is needed less with SKA, but he's very well capable)

6.Tyutin(just an overall steady guy)

The important part is: Nesterov looks really good, Zadorov is a future superstar and there are several other youngsters who could finally push the aging stars off the roster.

So right now Russia's D should look like that:

Markov
Nikulin
Voynov
Yemelin
Zaytsev
Chudinov
Mironov
Tyutin
Koltsov

In 3 years though:

Voynov
Yemelin
Zadorov
Zaytsev
Chudinov
Mironov
Nesterov
Provorov

Last edited by Atas2000: 01-20-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Fantomas

It's ugly, no matter how you slice it.

Fantomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
It's ugly, no matter how you slice it.
Not, if you look at the near future. Right now it is ugly. A number of aging guys steadily regressing and the youngsters being too young still.

Old
01-23-2015, 12:32 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Not, if you look at the near future. Right now it is ugly. A number of aging guys steadily regressing and the youngsters being too young still.
Agreed about this. Things will improve, but we're in the middle of a tough going.

Fantomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Habs76

Whaaattt??? Markov hasn't slowed down and is our best player at defense. Emelin has regressed recently, although I agree with your description of The reign and how Gonchar has gotten older. Gonchar & Markov can still contribute a lot with their smarts.

Habs76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Caser

Not a good year for our defenders: while Markov and Gonchar are fine (still not getting any younger), but considering Voynov and Orlov situations and Yemelin's regress I can't even think of a possible Top10.

On a positive side there are still some promising defensive prospects (Zadorov, Zaitsev, Nesterov, Marchenko, Antipin, Pivtsakin, Yakovlev, Rukavishnikov, Mironov, Provorov, Gavrikov), so the future looks kind of hopeful.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs76 View Post
Whaaattt??? Markov hasn't slowed down and is our best player at defense. Emelin has regressed recently, although I agree with your description of The reign and how Gonchar has gotten older. Gonchar & Markov can still contribute a lot with their smarts.
Markov 2015 vs Markov 2008 really?

And Yemelin hasn't regeressed. Your dumbass of a coach can't progress to a thought how to build proper pairings and has no idea of Yemelin's capabilities. And your fanbase is full of ppl who throw players under the bus for no reason. Yemelin is what your D is built around. Not because he's the best, but because nobody else at the moment can fill those gaps. Take him out and your D looks awful. You should be thankful you have him. You stomp on him instead. There are more than 15 teams probably who would gladly take him off your hands if he has "regressed".

Old
01-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Not a good year for our defenders: while Markov and Gonchar are fine (still not getting any younger), but considering Voynov and Orlov situations and Yemelin's regress I can't even think of a possible Top10.

On a positive side there are still some promising defensive prospects (Zadorov, Zaitsev, Nesterov, Marchenko, Antipin, Pivtsakin, Yakovlev, Rukavishnikov, Mironov, Provorov, Gavrikov), so the future looks kind of hopeful.
Oh thanks for reminding me of Orlov. That bad injury has taken him out for so long I forgot about him. Shame on me.

Old
01-24-2015, 12:31 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Kulikov will be top 4 dman in Russia by the time the next Olympics roll around. Easy to forget that he's only 24 since by the end of the year he has already 400 NHL games played! He has been plagued by being on bad teams but now that Florida is on the upswing watch his game progress in the next few seasons. He is already the longest tenured Panther and 2nd in minutes on the team. Not physical but effectively defensively and super smart with the puck. Him and Eklbad are going to be anchors on that team for a long time.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Kulikov will be top 4 dman in Russia by the time the next Olympics roll around. Easy to forget that he's only 24 since by the end of the year he has already 400 NHL games played! He has been plagued by being on bad teams but now that Florida is on the upswing watch his game progress in the next few seasons. He is already the longest tenured Panther and 2nd in minutes on the team. Not physical but effectively defensively and super smart with the puck. Him and Eklbad are going to be anchors on that team for a long time.
I doubt his attitude. And Ekblad is on the same bad team, remember?