HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's too quiet

Old
12-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Bob A Booey

vCash: 500
It's too quiet

The Conroy talks seemed to have stalled! Do you guys think the Kings are going to make any deals soon? When is the trade deadline?

Bob A Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Osprey

I'm, personally, growing a little impatient, especially with the Hawk signing of Bondra today. It's starting to feel as though Lombardi doesn't want to shake up the team, for fear of improving them into the "black hole." It's becoming more and more likely that he'll just wait until a little closer to the deadline (in late February, to answer your question) and then sell off Kings players for prospects and picks, i.e. no one that would even begin to help the team this year.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Bob A Booey

I'm afraid that you are right!

Old
12-10-2006, 05:36 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'm, personally, growing a little impatient, especially with the Hawk signing of Bondra today. It's starting to feel as though Lombardi doesn't want to shake up the team, for fear of improving them into the "black hole." It's becoming more and more likely that he'll just wait until a little closer to the deadline (in late February, to answer your question) and then sell off Kings players for prospects and picks, i.e. no one that would even begin to help the team this year.
With that being said DL won't hesitate to make a move if a good opportunity presents itself.

There's been talk that the Blues are looking to make a "shakeup" trade. Perhaps this could be an opportunity for DL. St. Louis seems to have some a quality young D-men which is something the Kings lack.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Tadite

No one is making any trades till the last possible moment. This is the era of the salary cap.... trades are vastly harder now...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Guitpik

Quote:
DL said that he is looking to build the team in a certain age group. That will not help the team this year. But, if he can latch on to a deal like the Johnson trade, say Atlanta trading Coburn for immediate help (stay with me, anything can happen...). Maybe, Conroy to compliment Kovalchuk and a D-man (Sopel, Miller) and a pick depending on how big of a push teams are willing to spend the youth for help now.

Guitpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
No one is making any trades till the last possible moment.
Unfortunately, that's true, but it doesn't make it wise if you're trying to shake-up a team. Taylor waited and waited until the last possible moment to shake things up last season, and it was too late. As much as I like Lombardi, the only mid-season, management difference that I see between this season and last is that, this year, it's a top-6 forward that the GM has wanted and not done anything about, instead of last year's phantom defenseman. If you're going to shake up your team, you do it before the midway point of the year (like the Sharks with Joe Thornton last year), not after. That's what's slowly telling me that Lombardi may have no intention of shaking the team up, since I think that he's smart enough to know what Taylor didn't: that turning the season around is rather futile if you wait much longer than now. He'll surely make some trades near the deadline, but they'll likely be geared towards the future, not a last-ditch effort to salvage the season. At least we don't have to worry about him throwing prospects away for rentals, like Taylor.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-10-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old
12-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Shootmaster_44

I certainly hope that any trades DL makes this year doesn't put the rebuilding project beyond a 2 or 3 season life. What I mean is any talent he trades for has to be ready to step into the lineup and play well within 2 or 3 seasons. By then I figure all the Kings' prospects should be good to go.

I personally, would like to see DL hang on to Conroy. I think the Kings need a few vets with talent to help the young players develop and Craig Conroy is the guy to do it. I've heard him credited with being one of the major veteran leaders on the '03-'04 Flames team that ended up in the Cup Final. I would say that him and Rob Blake are the two guys that should stick around for a couple years as leaders for this young team. I realize a lot of you might not want to see Rob Blake on the ice that often, but he does still have a bit of game left and his dressing room presence is immensely beneficial to the Kings.

If DL wants to do any trading, I say get rid of Cloutier, I'm sure we can get a few bags of pucks or some sticks for him. Actually, I say we trade him for his weight in Swiss Cheese, at least there would be less holes for the opponents to score on than there is now.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's true, but it doesn't make it wise if you're trying to shake-up a team. Taylor waited and waited until the last possible moment to shake things up last season, and it was too late. As much as I like Lombardi, the only mid-season, management difference that I see between this season and last is that, this year, it's a top-6 forward that the GM has wanted and not done anything about, instead of last year's phantom defenseman. If you're going to shake up your team, you do it before the midway point of the year (like the Sharks with Joe Thornton last year), not after. That's what's slowly telling me that Lombardi may have no intention of shaking the team up, since I think that he's smart enough to know what Taylor didn't: that turning the season around is rather futile if you wait much longer than now. He'll surely make some trades near the deadline, but they'll likely be geared towards the future, not a last-ditch effort to salvage the season. At least we don't have to worry about him throwing prospects away for rentals, like Taylor.
OK let's put this in perspective.......Just to get the 8th seed in the playoffs the Kings will probably need to finish the season with 94 points. Right now they have 26 points through 31 games. To reach that 94 point plateau they would have to win 34 of their final 51 games (66% winning percentage) just to be the last seed. The Kings could probably acquire Sidney Crosby himself and not win that many games for the rest of this season. A shake-up trade will not save this season. So what Lombardi needs to do is see what he can acquire for the team to make it to the playoffs next season. This year needs to be all about getting the young guys some NHL experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
If DL wants to do any trading, I say get rid of Cloutier, I'm sure we can get a few bags of pucks or some sticks for him. Actually, I say we trade him for his weight in Swiss Cheese, at least there would be less holes for the opponents to score on than there is now.
Their is no way any GM in this league will take Cloutier's horrible contract without a 1st round pick or highly rated prospect being added to the deal. And in my opinion that would only compound the mistake. The only reasonable option for Lombardi at this point is to play through the remainder of Dan's contract and hope that Cloutier gets better.

Last edited by Captain Ron: 12-10-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Their is no way any GM in this league will take Cloutier's horrible contract without a 1st round pick or highly rated prospect being added to the deal. And in my opinion that would only compound the mistake. The only reasonable option for Lombardi at this point is to play through the remainder of Dan's contract and hope that Cloutier gets better.
waive, buyout, or hope he retires early

CowMix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
waive, buyout, or hope he retires early
Waive?.......So pay him $3.1 million/year to play in Manchester for the next 2 1/2 years? I can't see that happening.

Buyout?.......So instead of having his horrible contract/cap hit follow us around for 2 more years it will be for 4? Don't like that idea either.

Hope he retires early?.......Would you retire early when you could be paid $3.1 million a year to be the worst goalie in the NHL? I don't see this happening either.

We are stuck with Dan unless we give up some serious value to dump his contract. And like I said....that would just make things worse.

Old
12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Riposte!

The only other possibility would be for a top-seeded playoff-bound team to lose their starting goaltender to a major injury for the rest of the season and post-season and not have a proven/reliable/capable backup. Then we might be able to get like a mid-round pick for Cloutier.

But that's a lot of ifs.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
The only other possibility would be for a top-seeded playoff-bound team to lose their starting goaltender to a major injury for the rest of the season and post-season and not have a proven/reliable/capable backup. Then we might be able to get like a mid-round pick for Cloutier.

But that's a lot of ifs.
Even then there are plenty of 3rd string goalies that most GM's would probably take over Cloutier.

Old
12-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Osprey

Quote:
OK let's put this in perpsective.......Just to get the 8th seed in the playoffs the Kings will probably need to finish the season with 94 points. Right now they have 26 points through 31 games. To reach that 94 point plateau they would have to win 34 of their final 51 games (66% winning percentage) just to be the last seed. The Kings could probably acquire Sidney Crosby himself and not win that many games for the rest of this season. A shake-up trade will not save this season. So what Lombardi needs to do is see what he can acquire for the team to make it to the playoffs next season. This year needs to be all about getting the young guys some NHL experience.
Your stats corroborate what I just said, unfortunately. If the Kings were going to shake things up, they would've had to have done it earlier than now. Doing it this late worked for the Sharks last year, so it's not like there's zero hope, but the Kings aren't going to get someone of the caliber of Joe Thornton. I think that it's likely that Lombardi decided a month ago (around when the Conroy trade rumors died out) that improving the team would do more harm than good.

BTW, I just realized that the Ducks could go only .500 the rest of the way and still end up with 104pts. That's crazy. So much for the people here who thought that the Ducks were over-hyped.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-10-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old
12-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
He probably won't admit it, but it appears as though he's letting the plant die so that it'll grow back stronger.
At this point I am inclined to agree with this theory. I guess my only major complaint with how he is currently handling the team....is if he doesn't think this team is playoff bound (which is pretty obvious) then why not call up some of the other young guys? I would like to see O'Sullivan get a little more NHL exposure before next years training camp. Heck.....even bring up Pushkarev for a week or two and see if he has the potential to bring anything to this club in the not-too-distant future.

Old
12-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
BTW, I just realized that the Ducks could go only .500 the rest of the way and still end up with 104pts. That's crazy. So much for the people here who thought that the Ducks were over-hyped.
It is actually quite sad.....when you think about it.

The Kings record for most wins in a season is 46 and for points is 105......and both of those will be easily surpassed by the Ducks this season. It is also sad to know that Anaheim will probably win the President's Trophy and maybe even Stanley Cup before LA does.

Old
12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
At this point I am inclined to agree with this theory. I guess my only major complaint with how he is currently handling the team....is if he doesn't think this team is playoff bound (which is pretty obvious) then why not call up some of the other young guys? I would like to see O'Sullivan get a little more NHL exposure before next years training camp. Heck.....even bring up Pushkarev for a week or two and see if he has the potential to bring anything to this club in the not-too-distant future.
Well, say what you will about this team, but they've shown the ability to be competitive. Developing youth is the ultimate goal but, frankly, the only youths that are ready to be on the roster are already on it. Putting players into a situation that they're not ready for could prove to be detrimental...I'd prefer not to move any players along too quickly just for the sake of doing so...

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

i'm not expecting very much for our old vets. with the amount of teams that are going to be sellers, how attractive can our boys really be? unless DL is blown away by a deal for our youth it's unthinkable to trade them as we try to rebuild. i think we will be lucky if we can shed some cap space and hopefully trim the rest of the fat in the off-season. I say let the young guys play now!

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Well, say what you will about this team, but they've shown the ability to be competitive. Developing youth is the ultimate goal but, frankly, the only youths that are ready to be on the roster are already on it. Putting players into a situation that they're not ready for could prove to be detrimental...I'd prefer not to move any players along too quickly just for the sake of doing so...
O'Sullivan and Pushkarev are both 21 and will turn 22 in February. If they can't compete at the NHL level soon then they are never going to do it. Are we really going to be calling these guys prospects when they are 24?

Old
12-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Tadite

Quote:
O'Sullivan and Pushkarev are both 21 and will turn 22 in February. If they can't compete at the NHL level soon then they are never going to do it. Are we really going to be calling these guys prospects when they are 24?

Yup. This is the real world. Not everyone is a Malkin, Frolov, or AO.

Can't expect every guy who is of a age to have just graduated from college to step into a professional league and be a star.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I still think Conroy will be dealt....probably not until March though.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Yup. This is the real world. Not everyone is a Malkin, Frolov, or AO.

Can't expect every guy who is of a age to have just graduated from college to step into a professional league and be a star.
I never said I expected them to be stars......but if they cannot contribute at the NHL level before they turn 24 then they more than likely will not contribute much at all.

Old
12-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Osprey

I have no problem with guys like O'Sullivan staying in Manchester for now, but I'd like to see them brought up once the roster has been thinned out, due to trades.

As for Pushkarev, I'd like to see him brought up for the last 20 or so games of the season just to see if Crawford can work some magic with him and salvage what's left of his potential. Maybe he'll take what he learns and apply it to his off-season training, to next year's training camp and, finally, to next season (likely in the AHL again, but, perhaps, with more impressive results). Yeah, probably not, but I'd like to see it tried before he's given up on.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-11-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old
12-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I would package Tukonen with Cloutier for a 7th round pick if that's what it took to dump his contract.

That said, it would take more.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 04:39 AM
Bob A Booey

I am just really curious about how much DL is holding MC accountable for any of this. I can't remember the last time I heard anything from DL.