HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers pulling away

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2003, 03:56 PM
meehan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Flyers pulling away

I guess it's not really a big deal yet, but after tonite the flyers will be 5 points ahead of the Devils. Winning the Atlantic was so important last year. Were the Flyers ever 5 points ahead of the Devils last year? Oh well, there are still 5 games left between the two teams, so the Devils could make up the difference there.

Old
11-29-2003, 04:01 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
I guess it's not really a big deal yet, but after tonite the flyers will be 5 points ahead of the Devils. Winning the Atlantic was so important last year. Were the Flyers ever 5 points ahead of the Devils last year? Oh well, there are still 5 games left between the two teams, so the Devils could make up the difference there.

It's only the end of November.

It wasn't so long ago the Flyers came back from over +/- 15 points in the standings to finish ahead of NJ.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:04 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

What sucks about this is NJ had a 13 game unbeaten streak and still couldn't pass the Flyers who have their own 12 game streak going. Thats ridiculous.

Last edited by I Hate Tie DOMI: 11-29-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old
11-29-2003, 08:34 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Winning the Atlantic was so important last year. Were the Flyers ever 5 points ahead of the Devils last year?
I don't fully agree with you that winning the Atlantic was so important last year. The Devils still had to take on #1 seeded Ottawa, and they beat the Senators two times in the Canadian capital.

Had the Devils gotten the fourth seed last year, and the Flyers the second-seed, I still would have like the Devils chances. They would have played Toronto in the first round, an easy win. They then would have had a tough series against Ottawa, which I think they still would have won. They would then have faced Tampa Bay or Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference Finals. The results may very well have been the same, New Jersey Devils 2002-2003 Stanley Cup Champions.

The Devils had the 5th seed in 1995 and the 4th seed in 2000. They won the Stanley Cup both years. Furthermore, they beat the Atlantic Division Champions in both those years. Both times the division was won by... [dramatic pause...] Philadelphia.

Of course I would like to see the Devils win the President's Trophy, but the Stanley Cup is worth a heck of lot more in my heart and mind.

Last point I want to make, the Devils are built for the playoffs, great goalie, great defensemen and forwards that can score the timely goal, as well as play strong hockey in the defensive zone.

Old
11-30-2003, 12:10 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
I don't fully agree with you that winning the Atlantic was so important last year. The Devils still had to take on #1 seeded Ottawa, and they beat the Senators two times in the Canadian capital.

Had the Devils gotten the fourth seed last year, and the Flyers the second-seed, I still would have like the Devils chances. They would have played Toronto in the first round, an easy win. They then would have had a tough series against Ottawa, which I think they still would have won. They would then have faced Tampa Bay or Philadelphia in the Eastern Conference Finals. The results may very well have been the same, New Jersey Devils 2002-2003 Stanley Cup Champions.

The Devils had the 5th seed in 1995 and the 4th seed in 2000. They won the Stanley Cup both years. Furthermore, they beat the Atlantic Division Champions in both those years. Both times the division was won by... [dramatic pause...] Philadelphia.

Of course I would like to see the Devils win the President's Trophy, but the Stanley Cup is worth a heck of lot more in my heart and mind.

Last point I want to make, the Devils are built for the playoffs, great goalie, great defensemen and forwards that can score the timely goal, as well as play strong hockey in the defensive zone.
You can go either way with it. We have owned Toronto and Philly in the past and could probably beat either head on if all things are even. However, if we played Toronto first, that would be a grueling series and our players would get banged up. Then play Ottawa who we barely beat. Then finally go against Philly. By then the Devils would be really banged up; especially since this team is alot smaller then previous Devil teams. I still think we could have done it; it would have just been much harder and considering we had to go seven games to win the cup; well I am just glad we had 2 easy first and second round series.

On a side note I wanted to bring up this point a long time ago but never got to it. Was Brodeur playing hurt during the finals? I heard rumblings of it but they never gave us a definate answer.

Old
11-30-2003, 03:14 AM
Tao Jones

Quote:

On a side note I wanted to bring up this point a long time ago but never got to it. Was Brodeur playing hurt during the finals? I heard rumblings of it but they never gave us a definate answer.
We may never know for sure, but I personally believe he was hurt after Stevens fell on him in the crease. He was slow to get up after that collision. Just guessing, but I think he was playing with a stiff neck/shoulder(SCM mucscle,sternoclavicular mastoid), or a possible pinched nerve on his catching side. He seemed to have some trouble elevating his glove, shortly after that, and I think he got beat high there a couple of times. Those types of injuries tend to feel progressively worse without rest, before they get better. I am not making excuses for him, but a bilateral(from the opposite side of the body) muscle contraction, while looking straight down to the ice from a standing position, might explain why he dropped his stick on the infamous Ozolinsh(sp) goal. Too bad it didn't happen during a clearing attempt from behind the net, instead.

Old
11-30-2003, 04:22 AM
meehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
We may never know for sure, but I personally believe he was hurt after Stevens fell on him in the crease.
When did this happen, I forget? Don't know why I can't remember this. Anyway, yeah I think I read some quotes by Brodeur after the finals where he said "everyone plays hurt during the playoffs" so that probably signaled that he was. It was weird, TSN before game 5 against Ottawa did this whole segment about Brodeur and where people scored on him and up to that point he gave up 21 goals in the playoffs and not a single goal on his glove side; then all of a sudden in the finals he was getting lit up on his glove side, that signaled that something was wrong. Oh well, doesn't matter anymore.

Old
11-30-2003, 04:33 AM
dedalus

As humorous side note, Mike Sielski, who covers Philly sports for the Burlington County Times, wrote this as a two sentence blurb in today's paper:

"It's still November, and they're still the Flyers, and they're still the Devils.

Just a friendly reminder."

Old
11-30-2003, 06:30 AM
Tao Jones

Quote:
When did this happen, I forget? Don't know why I can't remember this. Anyway, yeah I think I read some quotes by Brodeur after the finals where he said "everyone plays hurt during the playoffs" so that probably signaled that he was. It was weird, TSN before game 5 against Ottawa did this whole segment about Brodeur and where people scored on him and up to that point he gave up 21 goals in the playoffs and not a single goal on his glove side; then all of a sudden in the finals he was getting lit up on his glove side, that signaled that something was wrong. Oh well, doesn't matter anymore.
I can't remember if it was at the end of the Ottawa series or against Anaheim, pretty sure it was in the 3rd period though, but Stevens ran him over as Marty was turning around to look behind the net near his left post. Scotty fell on top of him and he was face down on the ice. Stupid ESPN cut to commercial, and didn't really follow up on it when they came back from the break. Someone must have it on tape.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:21 AM
David Puddy

At the press conference after the game seven Stanley Cup Finals victory, a reporter asked a cigar smoking Martin Brodeur if played hurt in the finals. Brodeur said that everyone is a little hurt in the long playoffs.

I don't think that he would cover-up an injury after the series was over, Cup won. His play in the finals would also indicate that he wasn't seriously injured.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones
I can't remember if it was at the end of the Ottawa series or against Anaheim, pretty sure it was in the 3rd period though, but Stevens ran him over as Marty was turning around to look behind the net near his left post. Scotty fell on top of him and he was face down on the ice. Stupid ESPN cut to commercial, and didn't really follow up on it when they came back from the break. Someone must have it on tape.
I'm pretty certain it happened in the Sens series.

Closed Thread