HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Remaining December Games ~ What's your guess?

Old
12-11-2006, 12:34 AM
falcor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurKOWrock View Post
the 'lock it' is strictly a joke.

strictly.
i see that now. my apologies, though i wasn't referring to only you.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Waivers? Who the heck wants Conklin, no one cept us.
I suspect one Ottawa team might be interested with their goaltending performance

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 09:14 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I predicted 10-5 in December, and we are 4-1, five games into the month. I'll stick by my prediction, and call the remaining 10 this way:

W-Dec 14 - Phoenix away
L-Dec 16 - Chicago (Martin Havlat + Khavibulin(sp))

L-Dec 18 - Detroit(We aren't that good yet)
L-Dec 20 - Detroit away(ditto)
W-Dec 22 - Vancouver(Carter hat trick)
W-Dec 23 - Islanders away

W-Dec 26 - Boston
W-Dec 28 - Detroit
L-Dec 29 - Minnesota away
W-Dec 31 - Chicago
Nordique, you're always to the point. Like that about you (now if you would just lay off Shelley...).

But do I sense some fear and foreboding vis-a-vis Detroit? This is the Hitch & Freddy-No era. So in the spirit of the season I say this to you: "Do not be afraid, For I bring you good news...." I've seen several Detroit games this year and they are looking beatable most of the time. Plus no frickin way we lose three in a row (chicago, DEETroit x2). No.

Love the Hat Trick in Vancouver. Nice touch.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Millions Livio

If we beat the Wings twice in a row, no words can possibly describe the feeling...

Millions Livio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I've seen several Detroit games this year and they are looking beatable most of the time. Plus no frickin way we lose three in a row (chicago, DEETroit x2). No.

Love the Hat Trick in Vancouver. Nice touch.
I'd love to be wrong

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
Dec 12 - Dallas away; loss
Dec 14 - Phoenix away; win
Dec 16 - Chicago; win

Dec 18 - Detroit; OT loss
Dec 20 - Detroit away; loss
Dec 22 - Vancouver; win
Dec 23 - Islanders away; win

Dec 26 - Boston; win
Dec 28 - Detroit; win
Dec 29 - Minnesota away; OT win
Dec 31 - Chicago; loss

Or 7-3-1 over the next twelve... Seems reasonable?

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:15 AM
nasherchick1661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions Livio View Post
If we beat the Wings twice in a row, no words can possibly describe the feeling...

possibly.......oh my god.....or holy ****......or what the ****

it would be nice though.......

changed my mind.....that would be awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!

it would be a

nasherchick1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:16 AM
DGMBJfan

Peter King quoted Jerome Bettis on SI.com: "I think the teams that can go into playoff mode the earliest can ride it a long way. Can they be focused on every game being their season? That's what we did. The day after we lost to be 7-5, we came into our facility and coach [Bill Cowher] had our board with all the games listed and our goals for every game, and he erased everything except the one game we had that week. Nothing we did before mattered, nothing we do in the future mattered. Just now.''

The CBJ are not quite to the point that every game is the season, but it's close. Forget December. Focus on Dallas.

(I know that this subverts the intent of the thread. Sorry. So to keep with the spirit, I'll say: hmmm..... 16 points. Don't know against whom or when).

DGMBJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:18 AM
CapnCornelius

Win 7 of 11 to get back in this thing. Simple as that. We probably will still be a few points back at that point, but we'll be in striking distance.

Here's some things to consider--this team has not peaked. The goals for the most part have not come from the usual suspects. Modin has been banged up. As has Zherdev. Until last night, Rick Nash was invisible.

If Nash starts scoring, Z and Modin get healthy and Fedorov and Vyborny start scoring more goals, well, this team can beat any team on any given night.

It will also be interesting to see what happens when the cavalry arrives in the form of Westcott and, maybe, Berard. But the rest of the month is key.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Dec 12 - Dallas away; Win
Dec 14 - Phoenix away; Win
Dec 16 - Chicago; Loss

Dec 18 - Detroit; OT Win
Dec 20 - Detroit away; Win
Dec 22 - Vancouver; win
Dec 23 - Islanders away; Loss

Dec 26 - Boston; win
Dec 28 - Detroit; win
Dec 29 - Minnesota away; Win
Dec 31 - Chicago; OT loss

8-2-1

12-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Stach, you realize if we go 8-2-1 the rest of this month, that means we'll definitely be back in the playoff hunt and Doug might not get fired, right? Are you really hoping for that?

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Stach, you realize if we go 8-2-1 the rest of this month, that means we'll definitely be back in the playoff hunt and Doug might not get fired, right? Are you really hoping for that?
After years of putting up with Maclean, Ill take a reduced role any day, which seems to be happening.

Personally, I disagree that winning will save Doug's job. If Hitchcock can keep up the pace, you might see him get full control of the hockey department. Which, based on the early returns, he's earned.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
disgruntledPSLholder

you have us beating detroit 3 times but losing to chicago twice? i'm confused.

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledPSLholder View Post
you have us beating detroit 3 times but losing to chicago twice? i'm confused.
They're just perdictions broseph.

Old
12-11-2006, 12:11 PM
General Jacket70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
After years of putting up with Maclean, Ill take a reduced role any day, which seems to be happening.

Personally, I disagree that winning will save Doug's job. If Hitchcock can keep up the pace, you might see him get full control of the hockey department. Which, based on the early returns, he's earned.
I don't think Hitch wants full control. He even said that he doesn't want to know when a player is being shopped around the league because it may affect how he interacts with that player.

No, he's a hockey coach and that's all he wants to be. GMDM deserves some credit for recommending him and bringing him on, not to mention for assembling the team with which Hitchcock is working (and winning) with.

I do agree with the fact that GMDM isn't as noticable as he use to be. Maybe I am just not looking for him as much. Which is fine with me as long as he doesn't screw things up with a stupid trade or other headline-grabbing nonsensical move.

General Jacket70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
They're just perdictions broseph.
i'm aware. i'm just confused what your logic is on this one: we've owned the blackhawks since the inaugural season, and we've gotten owned by the red wings since the inaugural season. i'm not saying we won't beat the wings, especially with how we're playing now, i'm just saying it's kind of weird to say we'll lose twice to chicago (at home no less) but beat detroit three times.

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
i'm aware. i'm just confused what your logic is on this one: we've owned the blackhawks since the inaugural season, and we've gotten owned by the red wings since the inaugural season. i'm not saying we won't beat the wings, especially with how we're playing now, i'm just saying it's kind of weird to say we'll lose twice to chicago (at home no less) but beat detroit three times.
The Blackhawks are playing like gangbusters. Haven't lost in regulation in 7 games. Also, those games fall at bad dates. 7 in a row is a lot to ask of any team. The December 31st game comes after a pretty nasty stretch of games. And the Islanders game is the 2nd game of a back and back.

Having done a little bit of math, here are my ultra rough perdictions for how the teams will be in the WC Standings at the begining of the year

6.Detroit-51 Points
7.Edmonton-46
8.Calgary-45
9.Chicago-42
10.Columbus-39
11.Vancouver-38
12.Colorado-37
13.Los Angeles-35
14.Phoenix-32
15.St. Louis-23

For these point totals, I used the winning percentage of their last 10 games, and calculated that over the rest of the year (except with Columubs, I used the 8-2-1 clip)

Old
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Nordique

Chicago is a tough team to beat. Havlat is back as well.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:58 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMBJfan View Post
Peter King quoted Jerome Bettis on SI.com: "I think the teams that can go into playoff mode the earliest can ride it a long way. Can they be focused on every game being their season? That's what we did. The day after we lost to be 7-5, we came into our facility and coach [Bill Cowher] had our board with all the games listed and our goals for every game, and he erased everything except the one game we had that week. Nothing we did before mattered, nothing we do in the future mattered. Just now.''

The CBJ are not quite to the point that every game is the season, but it's close. Forget December. Focus on Dallas.

(I know that this subverts the intent of the thread. Sorry. So to keep with the spirit, I'll say: hmmm..... 16 points. Don't know against whom or when).
I agree... I think it's a GREAT idea, if you're a player or coach.
But we're fans... and that means it's our job to talk talk talk about what might have been, and what could yet be. If we implemented Cowher's excellent game-only strategy, this board would only have GDT's -and that would be no fun.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Handyy

Dangerous situation right now. Like this thread shows, everyone are waiting for something like .750 out of the rest of this month. What if it doesn't happen, do fans vote with their foots and audiences get smaller again? Jackets are on the roll right now, but still I'm a bit cautious to predict that good results just because it would hurt pretty much this excitement fans now have. But, of course I'm hoping for excellent results... Just don't want to predict too much.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Do not underestimate Chicago. They are an extremely dangerous team right now and one that we have to beat to have a shot at the playoffs. I think it's really important that we have tremendous respect for both Detroit and Chicago because we don't 'deserve' to beat either of them. That's something we have to earn by playing the best hockey we can.

Personally, I think we'll learn alot about our hockey club (and fans) this saturday against Chicago. I can't wait.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Matt

The games that the new Jackets have won have all had netminding issues. The rest of the month they are faced with Turco, Hasek, Khabibbulan, Luongo, DiPietro and Fernandez. Unless some of these guys go in the tank, CBJ has a daunting task.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 02:42 PM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The games that the new Jackets have won have all had netminding issues. The rest of the month they are faced with Turco, Hasek, Khabibbulan, Luongo, DiPietro and Fernandez. Unless some of these guys go in the tank, CBJ has a daunting task.
We've already beaten Fernandez and Khabibulin this season. Turco is good, Hasek is good, DiPietro is overrated and Luongo is sucking lately.

According to you, we were going to lose last night, so your predictions are pretty poor. Let's just play the games and see what happens.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:10 PM
falcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Dangerous situation right now. Like this thread shows, everyone are waiting for something like .750 out of the rest of this month. What if it doesn't happen, do fans vote with their foots and audiences get smaller again? Jackets are on the roll right now, but still I'm a bit cautious to predict that good results just because it would hurt pretty much this excitement fans now have. But, of course I'm hoping for excellent results... Just don't want to predict too much.
bah, handyy.. where's your sense of adventure?!?!

i made my predictions based on my instincts(which are hit or miss lately), not my hopes(or i would have had them winning all). if they end up losing more than they win, well.. then that's what they do. my belief is that they couldn't possibly do any worse than they did earlier this season under gallant.. so its a tempered optimism. i, for one, am a fan and i'm not going anywhere no matter the result.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Wisnutsen21

we will win 2/3 of the detriot games one of which will be a shutout and fedorov will get a hat trick in detroit

Wisnutsen21 is offline   Reply With Quote