HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you rather have?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have
Redden @ 6.5 mill per season 20 38.46%
Havlat @ 6 mill per season 32 61.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Heatley4Hart*

vCash: 500
Who would you rather have?

Lets forget about the unmitigated disaster that is Martin Gerber and his 4 million dollar contract for a moment.

Who would you rather have on this team right now - Redden for 6.5 mill per season or Havlat for 6 mill per season?

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:37 AM
The_Sen_Man

what kind of question is this?

HAVLAT

The_Sen_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:39 AM
The Fuhr*

Give me Redden. He stabalizes the blueline and has the best first pass in the league which helps the transition offense.

I know hes been injured but I know what Redden is capable off when hes healthy.

Its a no brainer for me.

Also how could we justify giving more money to Havlat then Spezza in the off season.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:41 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Both, and not Heatley. I think we could have signed Havlat longterm for less than what Chicago gave him.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
SPARTAKUS*

Thrashers could we have Hossa back please. please, please we'll give you Heatley back no probleme. Why in the hell did we ever traded Hossa. What a mistake that was. I am telling you Muckler and Murray needs to go. Those two dumbbats have destroy our Sens. It's their fault. And oh yeah Spezza needs to go also. I don't like his game to many damn TURNOVERS. And for all of you who thinks that Emery is the one who can take us to SC well. he's not!!!

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
Both, and not Heatley. I think we could have signed Havlat longterm for less than what Chicago gave him.
I don't get why anyone thinks this? Havlat made it absolutely clear that he was looking forward to his UFA pay day, and there's nothing to suggest he would have stayed here for a penny less.

Could we have signed him for less for one season? Yup, but after that, he was gonna go to the highest bidder.

The only reason he signed longterm in Chicago was because they gave him what he was going to ask on the open market a year early, so if we wanted to keep him around for 4 years, we also would have had to give him 6 million. Maybe, he would have signed for 5.5...

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:59 AM
DG

Definitely Redden because without him, our D is terribly thin. I still think he's underrated and underappreciated by Sens fans. He's a lot more than a nice first pass... like NyQuil pointed out in another thread, in his very few games played, he has 2 goals, both game-winners, one in OT. He's very good in his own end too...

I don't see what's so wrong with Heatley... he's a goal scorer, and he's kind of good at it. What more do we want? I think it might even be the same if we had Havlat... we'd be whining that he's been hurt most of the season and that he's taking up $6 million of our payroll. Not only that, but surely there aren't many people who could actually say that they would've been cool with Muckler letting both Chara and Redden walk, but handed an unproven guy franchise player money, while not filling the gaping hole on D (and we couldn't have gotten someone else - we gave the money to Havlat)?

Havlat's been great so far and maybe he'll end up being the better overall player. But FOR THIS TEAM, he is not more important than Wade Redden.

EDIT: +1 vote for me on the results of the poll to Redden since Rookie Users can't vote.

Last edited by DG: 12-11-2006 at 01:08 AM.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:00 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Some people have the impression that if we switched a few players around, we'd be winning every game we've lost or something.

We could be doing worse than we are now, who knows?

Last edited by NyQuil: 12-11-2006 at 01:19 AM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:06 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAKUS View Post
Thrashers could we have Hossa back please. please, please we'll give you Heatley back no probleme. Why in the hell did we ever traded Hossa. What a mistake that was. I am telling you Muckler and Murray needs to go. Those two dumbbats have destroy our Sens. It's their fault. And oh yeah Spezza needs to go also. I don't like his game to many damn TURNOVERS. And for all of you who thinks that Emery is the one who can take us to SC well. he's not!!!
Ridiculous.

I'm not gonna go deep in to it, but we all know why the Hossa trade was made. Again, maybe it was the wrong choice (I love Hossa), but Muckler, with the money saved, made sure our team was as strong as it could be and built for a cup run. With Chara and Hasek healthy, who's to say that he wasn't bang on with the Hossa choice... sometimes, you have to gamble. This time, we lost.

Spezza steadily improves every game, and I really don't have any issues with him since about 10 games in. He's been great ever since and has corrected a lot of problems with his game. Of course he turns the puck over sometimes, but you know that play where you say 'SWEET PASS'? That's a play that had a high probability for a turnover. But I bet you're glad he tried it... let him be creative, it's when he's at his best. And surely you have to have noticed, he's made far fewer turnovers compared to early-season.

Finally, Emery? Well, you might be right about the cup, but the man has given us the best goaltending we could ask for considering he's injured and has to play due to Gerber's struggles. I have no doubt Ray Emery will be a very, very solid goalie down the line and with his confidence and swagger, he'll be a playoff warrior.

That's about all I'll say, especially since none of this was about Havlat or Redden... yikes.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:06 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAKUS View Post
Well the Heatley for Hossa and Devries deal saved this team 3.5 million dollars and with the cap at 39 million dollars last year it was huge in savings. Also we got a 50 goal scorer for 4.5 million dollars as part of the deal so I don't know how one could complain about that.

As for Spezza and his giveaways he also leads the Sens in takeaways with 26. I see you forgot to mention that.

Muckler also has done nothing to hamper this franchise. He has not moved the youth like Meszaros and Eaves so I am happy about that. Before I forget you know the Ducks, ya Murray put that foundation together when he was GM. Burke pulled of the Pronger deal from assets Muray stock piled and Burke signed Selanne and Niedermayer, everything else Murray has done from his time there.The prospects and youth that team has is all Murray.

Last edited by The Fuhr*: 12-11-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
12-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Skid

Havlat for one season or Redden for multi...i think redden is a turkey but i think i would take him just cause we wouldnt lose him after this season...
mind you if we did lose redden then when havlat left we could scoop up any great D worth 6 million...

i think im having a clear arguement with myself...yikes

Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:26 AM
DEATHtrap

Where is the option for neither? The team would have been in a better situation if the sens signed a D-man at half the price of Redden, like a Spacek.

I am still hoping Muckler deals Redden to Western Conference team. It is hard to justify the 3rd most offensively gifted d-man (I rank Mez and Corvo higher) being the highest paid player on the sens. And he is not exactly a defensive stalwart, I consider him third in defence play among sens D-men, behind Phillips and Volchenkov.

Havlat is great in a free flowing and wide open game. However, tight checking and physical play are the antidotes to Havlat's offensive game. And for proof, look no further then the Sabres series.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Bloggins

Havlat was, and is, physically weak and I don't care that he's gone. Redden on the other hand is over paid for what he brings to the ice but I'd rather have him than Havlat if I had to make a choice.
There are better ways to spend 6.5 million that's for sure.

Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Tony_S*

we should have signed hasek for $750000/yr
and not signed crappy gerber at $3 700 000/yr
traded Smolinski for a pick $2 500 000/yr

and thats more than enough $5 450 000 million

im sure he would have been happy to sign for 4mil/yr for 3yrs or something

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Before I forget you know the Ducks, ya Murray put that foundation together when he was GM. Burke pulled of the Pronger deal from assets Muray stock piled and Burke signed Selanne and Niedermayer, everything else Murray has done from his time there.The prospects and youth that team has is all Murray.
Tired when I wrote this. Burke also made the Fedorov trade which turned out great for the Ducks.

Old
12-11-2006, 07:50 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
we should have signed hasek for $750000/yr
and not signed crappy gerber at $3 700 000/yr
traded Smolinski for a pick $2 500 000/yr

and thats more than enough $5 450 000 million

im sure he would have been happy to sign for 4mil/yr for 3yrs or something
The team did not want Hasek back as players begged him to play in the playoffs and Hasek rejected. He let the team down to many players on the team. Not a good idea to bring him back because of chemistry issues.

Havlat would not have signed for 4 million over 3 years. Your delusional. We could have got him for 1 year at 4 million if we wanted to through arbitration but he was testing the market at the end of his deal.

Old
12-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Rico__Persson*

There's no option for neither??

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Human Megaphone

I am shocked that Havlat's constant injuries never come up when we talk about him. His best season was 73 games and he averages in the high 60s. He is currently on pace for 63 games this year.

I liked Havlat, but relying on him for our offence would be a mistake. Since he wanted the kind of money where we would have to, we let him go.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Sens are like Whoa

I agree with Human Megaphone...

However, my pick would be Havlat - Pending a full season of play.

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Savannah Skunk

Several years ago, Havlat shows the signs of his Yashiness. From that moment, i hoped that his future with the Senators was limited. I dont want greedy players who are primarily concerned with how much money they can make. I would rather have a player that WANTS to play for ottawa. After all, how many millions does it take to make one happy! ****!

Redden has my vote.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
And oh yeah Spezza needs to go also. I don't like his game to many damn TURNOVERS.
yawn.
more mindless babble from the 'i dont watch, i only complain crowd'.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
Several years ago, Havlat shows the signs of his Yashiness. From that moment, i hoped that his future with the Senators was limited. I dont want greedy players who are primarily concerned with how much money they can make. I would rather have a player that WANTS to play for ottawa. After all, how many millions does it take to make one happy! ****!

Redden has my vote.
*pulls out hair*
*gouges out eyes*
*screams*

Oh, god, judging by some of the comments, am I going to have to spell out the Havlat situation AGAIN?

I have to go to my review class soon...so, I'll try to make this brief, and I'll repeat myself for the millionth time:

Mucks was going to trade Marty NO MATTER WHAT. So, Havlat took a tough bargaining stance. If there was any intention from management for keeping Havlat and being commited to him for the long-term future, we could have signed him to a good deal. Now, it would have been expensive (I think we could have had him for less than 6 mil though) because he IS an elite talent (hell, Spezza is worth 4.5 mil, same with Heatley. Havlat is equivalent). This whole
thing obviously has a problem with the cap, and I understand that. But to say he only wanted to be a UFA (he did just sign to a 3 year deal huh...yes, Chicago had to overpay a bit, but if he's going to give up UFA years to a (sorry Hawks fans) "bad" team you're going to overpay) is just not true. It was a negotiating tactic. Plus, the YASHIN comparison pisses me off. HE NEVER HELD OUT UNDER CONTRACT. Finally, he's not just a greedy money grabber...he works very hard and puts in a lot of effort for the team he plays for. He was wearing an A on his jersey last game and his Chicago teammates say he has a great work ethic and is vocal on the ice and bench. Yeah...he's scoring at 2ppg right now and changes the dynamic of the team he plays for. He has the respect of his teammates and coaching staff. Lets stop with the character bashing of Marty. It's getting stale.

Sorry, so much for me keeping it brief eh?

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:44 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
Where is the option for neither? The team would have been in a better situation if the sens signed a D-man at half the price of Redden, like a Spacek.

I am still hoping Muckler deals Redden to Western Conference team. It is hard to justify the 3rd most offensively gifted d-man (I rank Mez and Corvo higher) being the highest paid player on the sens. And he is not exactly a defensive stalwart, I consider him third in defence play among sens D-men, behind Phillips and Volchenkov.

Havlat is great in a free flowing and wide open game. However, tight checking and physical play are the antidotes to Havlat's offensive game. And for proof, look no further then the Sabres series.
That's where I would put Redden as well. That said, I voted for him over Havlat because for Redden $6.5 mil is not above market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
Mucks was going to trade Marty NO MATTER WHAT. So, Havlat took a tough bargaining stance. If there was any intention from management for keeping Havlat and being committed to him for the long-term future, we could have signed him to a good deal. Now, it would have been expensive (I think we could have had him for less than 6 mil though) because he IS an elite talent (hell, Spezza is worth 4.5 mil, same with Heatley. Havlat is equivalent). ... Chicago had to overpay a bit, but if he's going to give up UFA years to a (sorry Hawks fans) "bad" team you're going to overpay ... he works very hard and puts in a lot of effort for the team he plays for. He was wearing an A on his jersey last game and his Chicago teammates say he has a great work ethic and is vocal on the ice and bench. Yeah...he's scoring at 2ppg right now and changes the dynamic of the team he plays for. He has the respect of his teammates and coaching staff. Lets stop with the character bashing of Marty. It's getting stale.
Agreed. I think Havlat would have signed with Ottawa for 3 years at $4.5mil, but only with a commitment not to trade him. I strongly believe he did not want to go.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post
I agree with Human Megaphone...

However, my pick would be Havlat - Pending a full season of play.

That sounds funny considering given Redden's situation now.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post

Agreed. I think Havlat would have signed with Ottawa for 3 years at $4.5mil, but only with a commitment not to trade him. I strongly believe he did not want to go.
Agreed.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote