Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames Out Scoring Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2006, 08:26 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 500
Wow.....3 Flames that make their top 4 in scoring, and we're the ones who are suppossed to be weak offensivly?
Even the great Hemsky would only be 6th on the Flames

Old
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
abracanada

And the great Hemsky with one more point than a Flames sophomore defender.

Old
12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
VoiceOfReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetweasy View Post
Hey look OntOilFan has made his way over - thanks for coming out!!!

Yeah you are right I just looked at the standings - tied for first in the NW!!!

I don’t think the Flame posters enjoy having us post back and fourth so let’s do them a favor and not post on this board and well I am at it you should really stop posting on the Oilers boards as well!!!

Have a good day,

Sorry to the Flame posters - but I am such a fan of OntOilFan!!!
Don't be so hard on OntOilFan onetweasy. Haven't you seen his homemade avatar. I haven't seen something that hardcore since Page Fletcher had sex with his aunty on the Hitchhiker--Easly the greatest two minutes in American television!!!

Old
12-11-2006, 11:04 PM
coolwasabi

Can't we just get along (and laugh at Canuck fans)?

Old
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
skunt

Fun team to watch, too.

Wonder how long it'll take the "majority view" of the Flames to filter out of these boards. The boring, one-man offense is thankfully gone.

Old
12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
And the great Hemsky with one more point than a Flames sophomore defender.
Yeah, injured players are a great comparison for myopic fans to celebrate how "our players are better with more games played".

Old
12-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Lunatik*

i love how oiler fans are using the injury bug as an excuse while failing to mention that before those injuries they were not much ahead of the flames in terms of goals for (or that Hemsky wasnt playing all that great either)... oh and news flash... injuries are part of the game...

and you guys should realize with the style of game the flames play one of the most important players to this team is Stephane Yelle... especially since he seems to be our only center who can consistently win faceoffs... but of course he hasnt played since mid-october... but i guess the fact that the flames have overcome a crappy PK and not winning draws without their best faceoff guy and penalty killer doesnt matter?

Yelle is as important to our style of game as Smyth is to yours

Old
12-12-2006, 07:40 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsport View Post
Yeah, injured players are a great comparison for myopic fans to celebrate how "our players are better with more games played".

When the difference is only a few games and Hemsky is supposed to be the next great one and a forward vs a defenseman to boot? Get over yourself.

Old
12-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i love how oiler fans are using the injury bug as an excuse while failing to mention that before those injuries they were not much ahead of the flames in terms of goals for (or that Hemsky wasnt playing all that great either)... oh and news flash... injuries are part of the game...

and you guys should realize with the style of game the flames play one of the most important players to this team is Stephane Yelle... especially since he seems to be our only center who can consistently win faceoffs... but of course he hasnt played since mid-october... but i guess the fact that the flames have overcome a crappy PK and not winning draws without their best faceoff guy and penalty killer doesnt matter?

Yelle is as important to our style of game as Smyth is to yours
Faceoffs? I thought we were talikng about points here. There's no way Yelle contibutes like Smyth does in any way, shape or form. Keep whistling past the graveyard, you know someone key in your lineup will get hurt. The only difference is I won' be the one braying at how much greater our offence is with your key guys injured.

Old
12-12-2006, 09:58 AM
abracanada

Well, the Oilers talk a lot about how blocked shots are important to their defensive game. Stephane Yelle is the captain of blocked shots on this team. And if grit counts for anything, he is key. They don't call him sandbox for nothing. Maybe with a little grittier presence on the road, the Flames will be able to pull out a few more wins. Don't really see how they could do much better at home.

Old
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Now here is where I differ. I don't want to get too ahead of myself because the Flames have picked things up offensively lately, but I also think there is a little credit due. Part of the criticism of the Flames has been that the team is a one line team, and not even a great line at that. The criticism wasn't that the Flames had no secondary scoring, it was that it didn't have any scoring, especially when compared with the mighty Oiler juggernaut we were warned about.

The fact is, the Oiler machine was way overhyped and if you want proof, it doesn't take too long to dig it up. The Flames offensive abilities were way underrated. The Flames have moved up in the standings from 28th, to middle of the pack. That is a pretty healthy increase over the period of one year. On the first line alone, Calgary has two players who are moving dangerously close to your top scorer, and another who is fairly well ahead of him, in spite of getting of to a spotty start. Players on the second line, like Lombo and Huselius are performing near the Horcoffs and company. Horcoff, a guy who came off of the first Oiler line last year. To imply the Flames have no secondary scoring, is ridiculous.

You can juggle the statistics around all you like but the Flames have more scoring depth now, than they have had in several years. And the Flames struggled out of the gate. They have gone through a horrendous slide to start the year. We are only beginning to see what they are capable of.

It is true the Oilers have had some injuries, but the Flames went through a tremendous scoring slump to start the year, and the Oilers went through a hot streak. We will see how things compare a little later.

There is a lot of excitement about this Flames squad, because of the offensive spark they have shown. Although it may not play out this way all year, I think it is understandable that people are going to crow on here a little bit when the worm is beginning to turn don't you think?

This was extremely well written and objective. Call me a homer, i don't care, but the Flames were just missing the offensive punch last year to go far in the playoffs, and they don't have top be a top 5 offensive team to improve on what they did last year. Simply moving from 27th to 18th in goal scoring would mean a huge increase in goals and many more wins (perhaps even in april or in may). The Oilers however, can score goals and are getting surprisingly good goaltending from a career underachiever/1A type goalie in Roloson? What, did this guy suddenly peak at the ripe age of 37? Come on... even assuming he keeps at this pace all year, the Oilers D (Smid, Staios, Smith, Bergeron, Tjarnqvist) has nowhere near the potential to improve than Calgary's forwards (Tanguay, Huselius, Lombardi, Kobasew)...

Old
12-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Faceoffs? I thought we were talikng about points here. There's no way Yelle contibutes like Smyth does in any way, shape or form. Keep whistling past the graveyard, you know someone key in your lineup will get hurt. The only difference is I won' be the one braying at how much greater our offence is with your key guys injured.
did i say contribute offensively? did i stutter when i said WITH THE STYLE OF GAME THE FLAMES PLAY YELLE IS AS IMPORTANT TO THE FLAMES AS SMYTH IS TO EDMONTON?... and if you weren't paying attention... Edmonton's "superior" offense wasn;t all that far ahead of Calgary before those injuries... and besides if the depth is half as deep as many Oiler fans have bragged about a couple injuries to top forwards shouldnt be a huge issue... you know since the Oilers have the "deepest group forwards in the league"... thats the point if you didnt get it...

its not about bragging... its pointing out how stupid it was for certain people to brag about how great the Oiler offense was... and how those same people were bashing the Flames offense... i bet those same people are eating their words now that the Oilers have had to change their offensive system to try and compensate for the holes on the blueline... i think we both know thats the reason that the flames are scoring close to the same clip as the oilers... it has very little to do with injuries... because let's face it the 4 & 6 games that Smyth and Hemsky have missed shouldnt be enough for such a "deep offensive team" to be caught in G/GP by a team who "only wins because of Kiprusoff"

oh and BTW in case you are new to the game or just simply dont understand the basic fundamentals... winning faceoffs = increased possesion, increased possesion = incresed scoring chances, increased scoring chances = more scoring... faceoffs are a big reason the Oilers offense has been as good as it has in recent memory... you could not play that style of game if you didnt win those draws

Old
12-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Cactus Jack

Quote:

You mean whistling past the graveyard like the Oilers did in last year's playoffs when they had no injuries through 3 rounds? And what happened, it caught up to you in the last round! Whereas when Calgary went all the way they lost Lydman, Gauthier, Lombardi, and Warrener too for a while.

The Flames haven't whistled past the graveyard at all... this isn't an offensive team, so what Smyth and Hemsky mean to you, our defensive players mean to us. Yelle has been out for two months, Nilson has been gone a week and will be out a few more apparently, and now Warrener and Zyuzin are hurt again after having missed a few games earlier, prompting us to again use rookie defensemen.....Of course, there are other injuries that could be more devestating to the team, but taking 4 veterans out of the lineup hurts... Oiler fans should know that.

Old
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
You mean whistling past the graveyard like the Oilers did in last year's playoffs when they had no injuries through 3 rounds? And what happened, it caught up to you in the last round! Whereas when Calgary went all the way they lost Lydman, Gauthier, Lombardi, and Warrener too for a while.

The Flames haven't whistled past the graveyard at all... this isn't an offensive team, so what Smyth and Hemsky mean to you, our defensive players mean to us. Yelle has been out for two months, Nilson has been gone a week and will be out a few more apparently, and now Warrener and Zyuzin are hurt again after having missed a few games earlier, prompting us to again use rookie defensemen.....Of course, there are other injuries that could be more devestating to the team, but taking 4 veterans out of the lineup hurts... Oiler fans should know that.
Dvorak was injured. That's why Winchester drew into the line-up. And the whole team having the flu during the Anaheim round kind of counts towards that too, doesn't it?

Old
12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Cactus Jack

Boy, I'm sure they really missed Dvorak floating. And good point with the flu, as I've never heard of players playing through the flu, especially during the playoffs!! Unreal, what determination the Oilers have!!!

Hahaha, is that all you've got??

Old
12-12-2006, 11:01 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Boy, I'm sure they really missed Dvorak floating. And good point with the flu, as I've never heard of players playing through the flu, especially during the playoffs!! Unreal, what determination the Oilers have!!!

Hey, I'm just stating that guys were sick and hurt. Roli was puking in between periods and still playing. Bergeron lost 13 lbs. Some guys couldn't play. I'm not arguing about anything else, just pointing that out. No need for the attitude.

Old
12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
oilphan

Good job Flames, you are outscoring and out defending a middle of the pack team. When do you get fit for your rings?

Old
12-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Boilers*

Quote:

A flu riddled Oilers still beat the Ducks in five. Keep on whistling.

Old
12-12-2006, 11:56 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Calgary's "out-scoring" Edmonton simply because they score more empty-netters than the Oil....5-1!

take away those and it's 80GF for Edmonton and 71GF for Calgary

2.76G/G for Edmonton
2.63 G/G for Calgary

not to mention our leading scorer and leading assist men are out

...nice try

Old
12-12-2006, 12:16 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps View Post
Calgary's "out-scoring" Edmonton simply because they score more empty-netters than the Oil....5-1!
Unfortunatly for you, empty netters count. You never went back in recent years and omitted empty net goals, why not e-town, why now?

Old
12-12-2006, 12:24 PM
lopper

Wow these threads sure turn into those playground "my dad can beat up your dad because..." arguments

Old
12-12-2006, 12:25 PM
lopper

And seriously as much as everyone wants to compare and argue whose offense is better the last time i checked its how many games you win that count. Both teams are winning and challenging for top spot in the NW so they must be doing something right. Injuries happen, slumps happen, every team plays through them but at the end of the day if your team makes the playoffs does it really matter if their GF per game is 2 or 7?

Old
12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
but at the end of the day if your team makes the playoffs does it really matter if their GF per game is 2 or 7?
Fantastic.

Old
12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Unfortunatly for you, empty netters count. You never went back in recent years and omitted empty net goals, why not e-town, why now?
because the GF's between the two team are so different (the Oilers have averaged 29 more goals/season since 1999-2000) that I doubt taking away empty-netters makes a HUGE difference!

Old
12-12-2006, 02:30 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps View Post
because the GF's between the two team are so different (the Oilers have averaged 29 more goals/season since 1999-2000) that I doubt taking away empty-netters makes a HUGE difference!
So you'll use an excuse when it fits you, and won't when it doesn't.

The lowly can't score Flames, which most everyone predicted would be 30th in the leauge in goals for are in the middle of the pack, ahead of the deep Oilers at this point. Just admit it, accept it, and hope it swings the other way.

Closed Thread