HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Growing up, did you dream of lacing up in the NHL and for the Habs?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2003, 07:58 AM
theo6060

vCash: 500
Growing up, did you dream of lacing up in the NHL and for the Habs?

I know I did. I used to think that I would only be happy if I played in the NHL and one day wanted to play for Montreal. I was one of those kids playing in the driveway for hours in the freezing cold and sometimes in the rain (whether anyone else joined me or not) and would have imaginary games, Cup finals, and even Cup presentations. Problem was, as much as I loved the game I wasn't the most talented player. I was only able to play for two years because my parents couldn't work my hockey schedule around their jobs anymore.

However, at 15 I still thought I could make it. I wouldn't let go of the dream. Now at the age of 20, and not playing hockey anywhere, that dream will obviously never occur. The hardest part was coming to terms with the fact that it would never have worked out. At the age of 20, I only stand 5-foot-7 and 150 lbs. All the skill in the world wouldn't have helped me with that frame. So I guess what this rant is all about is players like Corey Locke, and Francis Bouillon. They're not much bigger than I am, but they had the dedication, skill and heart to persue their dream. For smurfs like me, I look up to those guys, and others like Theo Fleury who thrived in the NHL. I'd just like to say to those who still are young enough and have those same dreams, go for them. I'm sure Corey Locke was told many times he'd never make it (and it's still to be determined) but he has already beaten a lot of odds to get as far as he is right now. Take it from all of us old guys on the board, you can still make it if you believe you can.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
I know I did. I used to think that I would only be happy if I played in the NHL and one day wanted to play for Montreal. I was one of those kids playing in the driveway for hours in the freezing cold and sometimes in the rain (whether anyone else joined me or not) and would have imaginary games, Cup finals, and even Cup presentations. Problem was, as much as I loved the game I wasn't the most talented player. I was only able to play for two years because my parents couldn't work my hockey schedule around their jobs anymore.

However, at 15 I still thought I could make it. I wouldn't let go of the dream. Now at the age of 20, and not playing hockey anywhere, that dream will obviously never occur. The hardest part was coming to terms with the fact that it would never have worked out. At the age of 20, I only stand 5-foot-7 and 150 lbs. All the skill in the world wouldn't have helped me with that frame. So I guess what this rant is all about is players like Corey Locke, and Francis Bouillon. They're not much bigger than I am, but they had the dedication, skill and heart to persue their dream. For smurfs like me, I look up to those guys, and others like Theo Fleury who thrived in the NHL. I'd just like to say to those who still are young enough and have those same dreams, go for them. I'm sure Corey Locke was told many times he'd never make it (and it's still to be determined) but he has already beaten a lot of odds to get as far as he is right now. Take it from all of us old guys on the board, you can still make it if you believe you can.
Yeah.. all the time, when i was younger i would always pretend i was Jaromir Jagr and i always tryed to emulate his style, and i would always try to think of, what would jagr do right now, Jagr was a huge hockey idol for me growing up, and i would always picture myself in the NHL, and thought i would be in the NHL.

I would of been #96, right wing, top line, thats where i imagined me being.. =[

Oh btw, about being small, im small too, but im a amateur bodybuilder, so im pretty strong, but im not overly big, but im big and cut, at 5ft9 194lbs. I would always be able to find an open man, and make beautiful tape to tape passes, i had good vision and amazing confidence, the confidence i think comes from within basicly, i thought i was the best player out there, and when you're thinking like that, your confidence shines through and you make some sweet plays. I was good defensively too, i could read plays really good and was a great 2-way player, when i didnt have the puck, i went and got it, when i had it, i went to either set someone up or fire a wrist shot. Only thing is when i was younger i didnt like the rough stuff much at all, i would get pushed around, and i was purely a finesse player, good thing i had alot of speed or i would of got killed, everyone was bigger then me growing up..

Last edited by Andrei Kastsitsyn: 11-29-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Old
11-29-2003, 08:08 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kastsitsyn
Yeah.. all the time, when i was younger i would always pretend i was Jaromir Jagr and i always tryed to emulate his style, and i would always try to think of, what would jagr do right now, Jagr was a huge hockey idol for me growing up, and i would always picture myself in the NHL, and thought i would be in the NHL.

I would of been #96, right wing, top line, thats where i imagined me being.. =[
My brother and I used to like being the Pens too. He was a huge Lemieux fan, still is. So he would be Lemieux and I'd be Jagr. We'd do passing plays and then imagine we'd have to put it top shelf or something, as if there was a goalie in front of the empty net we were shooting at.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:10 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
My brother and I used to like being the Pens too. He was a huge Lemieux fan, still is. So he would be Lemieux and I'd be Jagr. We'd do passing plays and then imagine we'd have to put it top shelf or something, as if there was a goalie in front of the empty net we were shooting at.
That's EXACTLY my story too...

Old
11-29-2003, 08:10 AM
Marchy79

I at 24 still dream of playing with the Habs, I was always a defensive center though (growing up I played a lot of defence, and was really good at outlet passing) at 6-2 215 pds, I've always had the size, and intelligence of the game was always my strength... It was a shame I never got the speed to do it, as I still dream I could've been a contender (for the selke!! )

I could hit with the best of them though... When I was on fire at a home tourney once, I scored the gamewinner (end to end) of the consolation game (we lost the second to last game) and put 4 guys out of the game (all clean hits though)... Man o' man... memories

Old
11-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Yeah man,, ugh... those are the days eh.. just hours and hours outside, i would play by myself early in the morning, then around 10 my friend would wakeup, around noon the whole street wokeup, we had such a good setup of players, everyone knew everyone, it was in Rosemount, and it was just amazing, i wishi could go back in time.. and i wish i could have that same state of mind as when i was younger.. =\

Old
11-29-2003, 08:13 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
That's EXACTLY my story too...
When we weren't doing that, I'd be Patrick Roy and he'd be Mario Lemieux. We used to have games in the neighbourhood too and since my name is similar to Patrick Roy's and he was the Habs goalie ever since I can remember, he was my idol. ALthough I was more of a standup goalie, people used to call me Patrick Roy a lot. When other people weren't playing, I'd have to play forward by myself. But I always enjoyed being in goal like my hero.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
When we weren't doing that, I'd be Patrick Roy and he'd be Mario Lemieux. We used to have games in the neighbourhood too and since my name is similar to Patrick Roy's and he was the Habs goalie ever since I can remember, he was my idol. ALthough I was more of a standup goalie, people used to call me Patrick Roy a lot. When other people weren't playing, I'd have to play forward by myself. But I always enjoyed being in goal like my hero.
Oh, i loved playing goal too, i would always try and make that beautiful glove stop, and "rob" somebody. I loved to do commentary in my head, i would emulate Hasek mostly, i admired his free flowing style and that he would do anything to stop the puck. And playing goalie, then playing foward, gives you some perspective and helps you play foward better IMO too. Also i would try and give them a chance to score, i would stand at a post, and then come out and rob the guy with my glove, or a beauty kick save or something, it was all about the beauty of the game, playing both foward and goalie with me, always wanted to make the highlight reel play.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:20 AM
theo6060

I think it was the outdoor game in Edmonton that really spurred on this thread. Seeing Jose Theodore wearing a toque, just like I'm sure we all did in the freezing cold. It brought back a lot of memories.

The last year of high school, my friends were all in french immersion and we used to play hockey all the time on roller blades. We had friends that weren't in french immersion and we got a big game a couple of times. We named ourselves the "Frenchie Flaming Firebirds." We won the first game although I played terrible in goal. I guess it was the nerves because we had people show up and watch us.

We played again and the second game was much better. We beat them again, and won the overall series 2-0. They always made excuses about why they didn't beat us, and we even said we'd take them on again but we never had a rematch. Those games made for some great memories.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Dutchy

Quote:
I think it was the outdoor game in Edmonton that really spurred on this thread. Seeing Jose Theodore wearing a toque, just like I'm sure we all did in the freezing cold. It brought back a lot of memories.

The last year of high school, my friends were all in french immersion and we used to play hockey all the time on roller blades. We had friends that weren't in french immersion and we got a big game a couple of times. We named ourselves the "Frenchie Flaming Firebirds." We won the first game although I played terrible in goal. I guess it was the nerves because we had people show up and watch us.

We played again and the second game was much better. We beat them again, and won the overall series 2-0. They always made excuses about why they didn't beat us, and we even said we'd take them on again but we never had a rematch. Those games made for some great memories.
The joys of growing up in Montreal.

I've go sooooooo many memories coming back to me... But they're mine, and I'll keep it that way. I just want to thank you for bringing them back.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:25 AM
Maithz

vCash:
My dream was to be an tremendous player and being drafted 1st overall by the Senators ,The Wild or the Habs . I said Wild because Gaborik is my favorite player . I was playing with my friend outdoor and I was imagine the Sstanley Cup playoffs like everyone in their young time .

Old
11-29-2003, 08:28 AM
theo6060

Quote:
The joys of growing up in Montreal.

I've go sooooooo many memories coming back to me... But they're mine, and I'll keep it that way. I just want to thank you for bringing them back.
When you think about all the labour uncertainty and the potential lockout it's sadening (and I'm sorry for bringing that up in this thread) but with the way the game has changed it's good to look back at what the game has meant to us. Whether we're at home screaming at a defensive mistake by Brisebois or commending a beauty pass by Koivu, we sometimes forget what this game has meant to us while growing up. I think the reason the game in Edmonton was so successful is because it makes everyone who grew up playing in their driveway remember all the great memories they once had. We should cherish these memories and hold on to them forever. It's too bad we can't remember them as vividly as we could back after they happened. Those were special times that I will cherish forever.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
As a child, I used to dream about being a goalie for the habs which is kinda funny because I'm a girl.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
As a child, I used to dream about being a goalie for the habs which is kinda funny because I'm a girl.
Do you have any pictures of yourself.. ? =]

Old
11-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Dutchy

Quote:
When you think about all the labour uncertainty and the potential lockout it's sadening (and I'm sorry for bringing that up in this thread) but with the way the game has changed it's good to look back at what the game has meant to us. Whether we're at home screaming at a defensive mistake by Brisebois or commending a beauty pass by Koivu, we sometimes forget what this game has meant to us while growing up. I think the reason the game in Edmonton was so successful is because it makes everyone who grew up playing in their driveway remember all the great memories they once had. We should cherish these memories and hold on to them forever. It's too bad we can't remember them as vividly as we could back after they happened. Those were special times that I will cherish forever.
Are you trying to make me cry?

Cause you're on your way to succeeding!

Old
11-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Are you trying to make me cry?

Cause you're on your way to succeeding!
Awwwww man..

/me hugs you

=\

:p

Old
11-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
That's pretty cool! Look at how far players like Weikenheiser (Sorry about the spelling), Rhéaume and St-Pierre went. I truly hope girls get to have a fair share of the spot line someday!

Old
11-29-2003, 08:42 AM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
That's pretty cool! Look at how far players like Weikenheiser (Sorry about the spelling), Rhéaume and St-Pierre went. I truly hope girls get to have a fair share of the spot line someday!
I would like to see girls have that opportunity too. I wasn't even a hockey player. I have always been a big fan of goalies. I would spend Saturday evenings watching HNIC with my Dad, imagining what it would be like to play for the habs. I guess I just had a wild imagination.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:47 AM
JOHNNY V

I had a dream I was a 1 hit wonder, wake me UP Jim Carey

Old
11-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
I had a dream I was a 1 hit wonder, wake me UP Jim Carey

Hahahaha! You never stop to make me laugh!!

Thanks again Johnny!

Old
11-29-2003, 08:52 AM
Traitor8

Yes I have... I came from an asian country where we didn't even know what's hockey, when I came to Montreal, I was 6 yrs old, but didn't watch until I was 8 ... then I told my parents that I wanted to play hockey but they always say it's too dangerous and they never really had the time and they didn't really understand the game so that never worked out.

In School, with my friends, we use to play for like 2 hours straight during recess and I was always the goalie, I had EXACTLY Dominik Hasek's style, yes exactly, not one move different, not butterfly style but Dominik Hasek and I use to save sure goals by lifting my toes , My head, swinging my arms and I got the nickname: " The Dominator" shortly after.
and yes, there was no way you were going to beat me with a low shot. My friend use to always come to me after they win like 9-4 and say, they would of won 10-9 if it wasn't for you with a tap on the back. My favorite goalie was obviously Dominik Hasek and I was really disapointed when they didn't win Against Dallas(but hey, he won it a couple of years later). I was also the toughest kid so you couldn't try to run me over or else you wouldn't be able to get up for like 10 minutes. I use to run over the other side and knock the other goalie out before running to my net and making a save so then nobody ran over me again. I never played in an organized league which I feel sad for..

Old
11-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Bud The Spud*

Quote:
Hahahaha! You never stop to make me laugh!!

Thanks again Johnny!
Yes he is always entertaining and although he tries to insult, I just have a good laugh. Viva le Johnny V

Old
11-29-2003, 09:00 AM
The n00b King ©*

sigh...whilst i read your comments, it reminds me of when i started playing hockey as a kid, getting up at 5 in the morning to go to practices...then one day, i stopped. my mom told me that im the one who wanted to stop, cuz i didnt want to get up at 5am...but i deny that, well at least i pretend to...i still got the shooting skills, and im capable of playing on both wings (im, damn, how do u say that in english? ambidexe). but i have weak ankles, and i cant friggin skate backwards...man so sad...but ya, i only like hockey because of the habs, i dont know why it's like that, if u think about it...it's our national sport, im pretty darn sure that it WAS invented in montreal...i dunno, it seems like it's IN our blood...from the age of like 12 till 18, i didnt care for hockey (i moved to the states for those years) and when i came back, it just stuck back to me..i fell in love with the sport a second time...i have a friend who plays in two garage leagues, he's offered me to play with them, i definitely will i guess ill create all those memories you guys had as u were growing up. ill just get to do them now, at 22...for the love baby, for the love...

Old
11-29-2003, 09:02 AM
habitants9_4

When I was younger, I was always Maurice Richard, because of the way my Dad idolized him, and spoke about him. I started to play at 7 years old, so my skating was never at the level I could have been, but I was a house league all-star several times. I was always crashing the net, and doing the physical stuff, because that was my favorite part. When I realized I wouldn't make the NHL, I hit the books, watched hockey like crazy.

At 12 I would read record books, and read all my hockey cards. My favorite part was watching games with my Dad. Saddly right around my 14th birthday my dad got cancer in several places, and the doctor said it was terminal, he passed away on November 5th, 2000. Well at that point hockey was basically the only thing that could keep my mind of it. I couldn't play golf, and I was very shy and afraid of everything. Now I can play golf, but hockey has been huge support for me in tough times. It helps me get away from the real life.

As for when I was younger I would play street hockey from the end of school til darkness, we even had spotlights. We still play together at Christmas time, but its just not the same. I would always use

Now my dreams is to be a GM in the NHL. I would love that job, and I am doing everything I can to get it. I work at insidehockey.com, I go to many hockey games, aswell as coach teams. (Novice AA)

I think I would have been ok in the NHL though, I am 6'3'', but the rest is just a no. Exept maybe my playmaking, now I play in the MHL. My schoool House League, and were 5-1. I am the captain, and I drafted the team myself.

Old
11-29-2003, 09:51 AM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
When I was younger, I was always Maurice Richard, because of the way my Dad idolized him, and spoke about him. I started to play at 7 years old, so my skating was never at the level I could have been, but I was a house league all-star several times. I was always crashing the net, and doing the physical stuff, because that was my favorite part. When I realized I wouldn't make the NHL, I hit the books, watched hockey like crazy.

At 12 I would read record books, and read all my hockey cards. My favorite part was watching games with my Dad. Saddly right around my 14th birthday my dad got cancer in several places, and the doctor said it was terminal, he passed away on November 5th, 2000. Well at that point hockey was basically the only thing that could keep my mind of it. I couldn't play golf, and I was very shy and afraid of everything. Now I can play golf, but hockey has been huge support for me in tough times. It helps me get away from the real life.
Man, that's sad about your dad. Not exactly something you want to find out around your birthday, and especially at such a young age.

You and I are very similar, I too would use hockey as a way to forget about stuff. Of course, most of the stuff that bothered me would be minor to something like that. After I found out I wouldn't make it, I too decided that if I can't be a hockey player, I have to do something hockey related. In my 2nd year of journalism now with only two semesters to go and I'm doing a lot outside of the program. At one point I wanted to be a GM, but now I'm more geared towards being a scout. My new realistic dream is being a scout for an NHL team. I'd love to be on the road, watching CHL players and rellaying info to the team's GM and tell him why or why not I think we should draft a certain player. I guess that's my new dream, not as glorious as the first, but a lot more realistic.

Closed Thread