HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We got Hitch just in time

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2006, 11:34 PM
  #1
EspoWorld
Registered User
 
EspoWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
We got Hitch just in time

The Blues replaced Kitchen with Andy Murray:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=188117&hubname=nhl

If it had come down to a competition (and maybe Davidson called Hitch, there were rumors to that effect), I think the CBJ had a much stronger hand than the Blues. Taking over the Blues is going to be a long slog, considering they have several old guys who used to be good and a bunch of second-tier prospects.

More and more its clear, Hitchcock took the CBJ job because he saw potential. I would think he's at the point in his career where he wouldn't take over a team he knows has no chance for a very long time.

EspoWorld is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 12:24 AM
  #2
Scrappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Out of five teams, the Central Division has THREE new coaches at roughly the same time.

I hope that Coach Hitchcock has a long tenure in Columbus. Some of the teams that seem built for long success have coaches with long tenures:

Lindy Ruff (Buffalo Sabres) - 10 years
Barry Trotz (Nashville Predators) - 8 years
Jacques Lemaire (Minnesota Wild) - 7 years
Craig MacTavish (Edmonton Oilers) - 7 years
John Tortorella (Tampa Bay Lightning) - 6 years


http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/news/st...oachingchanges

Scrappy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 12:54 AM
  #3
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Out of five teams, the Central Division has THREE new coaches at roughly the same time.

I hope that Coach Hitchcock has a long tenure in Columbus. Some of the teams that seem built for long success have coaches with long tenures:

Lindy Ruff (Buffalo Sabres) - 10 years
Barry Trotz (Nashville Predators) - 8 years
Jacques Lemaire (Minnesota Wild) - 7 years
Craig MacTavish (Edmonton Oilers) - 7 years
John Tortorella (Tampa Bay Lightning) - 6 years


http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/news/st...oachingchanges
eh, you know the old saying, "NHL coaches are hired to be fired."
Ducks, Flames, Devils, Habs, Rangers, Islanders, Pens, Caps, even the Wings ... all sniffing around the playoffs with new coaches (2yrs or less.) I must say though that I prefer Hitchcock miles above Murray and I'm extremely happy that Mr. Mac put the jackboot down when he did. A huge relief for everyone.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 01:07 AM
  #4
Scrappy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
eh, you know the old saying, "NHL coaches are hired to be fired."
Ducks, Flames, Devils, Habs, Rangers, Islanders, Pens, Caps, even the Wings ... all sniffing around the playoffs with new coaches (2yrs or less.) I must say though that I prefer Hitchcock miles above Murray and I'm extremely happy that Mr. Mac put the jackboot down when he did. A huge relief for everyone.
Very true. Very true.

I guess I feel more comfortable with some long term stability...as long as it is positive and moving the organ-i-zation in the right direction.

Scrappy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
  #5
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Very true. Very true.

I guess I feel more comfortable with some long term stability...as long as it is positive and moving the organ-i-zation in the right direction.
Absolutely, Scrappy. I have every faith that Hitch is here happily, by his own choice, and with every intention of making this team his pride and joy. My biggest pleasure with Hitch is, of course, how quickly the team turned around and found success - improving their individual games and getting some wins. The thing second most pleasing is to see how pleased Hitch is with our young guys (Nash, Z, Brule, AJ, OK, Rusty,Svits, Picard, Hainsey) and how conscientiously he works them into the overall game plan and has given the amount and quality of ice time they needed to start really showing their strengths. I am thrilled. My only point is that I don't think we're going to have to wait 7 yrs to get that Cup! and I don't believe Hitch plans on taking that long either.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 03:58 AM
  #6
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
I recall reading an article about Hitch where Modano was interviewed. He said something that Hitch can't be in a team for too long as he gets tuned out because of his coaching methods.

But, at this point it obviously doesn't matter. If he can continue doing what he's doing for 3 years it's a W for Columbus hockey fans. Maybe not the Cup, but getting respect for the team throughout the nation and especially in Ohio area is the key for Jackets at this point.

Handyy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 04:55 AM
  #7
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I recall reading an article about Hitch where Modano was interviewed. He said something that Hitch can't be in a team for too long as he gets tuned out because of his coaching methods.

But, at this point it obviously doesn't matter. If he can continue doing what he's doing for 3 years it's a W for Columbus hockey fans. Maybe not the Cup, but getting respect for the team throughout the nation and especially in Ohio area is the key for Jackets at this point.
I've heard this accusation of Hitch before but no one ever says what these mysterious "coaching methods" are. Is he waterboarding his players? Making them sharpen their own skate blades? Corporal punishment for bad behavior at practice? Frankly we heard so many rumours and crap from people before Hitch was hired...maybe he hasn't been here long enough to display why he's considered Rasputin... but I tend to think that people just don't know what they're talking about. The Vets (Foote, Modin, Fedorov) all lobbied for Hitchcock's hiring... there must have been a reason, don't ya think, Handyy?

Edit: It's not going to take anywhere near three years to get respect in the league. Hitch has already gotten his respect from the players - it shows on the ice, and you can't watch a Blue Jacket game anymore and feel contempt. The difference already is that tremendous and I don't think the players are going to regress, they're too good and too motivated to keep playing well.


Last edited by Pluckfur: 12-12-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 06:31 AM
  #8
Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Pluck,
You were metioning the kids on the team. You forgot about Danny, who if he keeps playing like he has will have 40 points by the end of the season. Last year he had a total of 13

Matt is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:18 AM
  #9
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Pluck,
You were metioning the kids on the team. You forgot about Danny, who if he keeps playing like he has will have 40 points by the end of the season. Last year he had a total of 13
Matt, thank you for catching that. and PARMA, HITCH LOVES PARMA, HITCH PUT PARMA AT CENTER AND NOW PARMA LOVES HOCKEY AGAIN (AND PROBABLY LOVES HITCH TOO.)

I feel like a dope for forgetting Danny

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 09:32 AM
  #10
CBJSlash
Registered User
 
CBJSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Bus
Posts: 7,922
vCash: 500
I don't buy the tuning out aspect. Well at least the prospects of it happening. I think Hitch is a smart dude. If he made mistakes in the past and lost players, I think he would learn from it and try to avoid having that happen again.


Pasts only shape the futures and people who continue to make the same mistakes are morons. Hitch is not a moron.

CBJSlash is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
  #11
The Dancin' Beaver
 
The Dancin' Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
IMO Hitch's style is better suited to a developing team which makes him perfect for Columbus. He is a teacher and a system kind of guy. A lot of the guff about Hitch comes from players that think they can run the show.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 10:40 AM
  #12
Byrral
Registered User
 
Byrral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Players said the the same thing playing for Scotty Bowman too. They hated the guy but would go through a wall for him. And we all know Scotty was a terrible coach

Byrral is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
  #13
PerfectTommy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The 8th dimension
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Players said the the same thing playing for Scotty Bowman too. They hated the guy but would go through a wall for him. And we all know Scotty was a terrible coach
I believe it was Steve Shutt who said something like, "We hated Scotty for 364 days, then on the 365th day we picked up our Stanley Cup rings."

PerfectTommy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
  #14
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I've heard this accusation of Hitch before but no one ever says what these mysterious "coaching methods" are. Is he waterboarding his players? Making them sharpen their own skate blades? Corporal punishment for bad behavior at practice? Frankly we heard so many rumours and crap from people before Hitch was hired...
But that came out of a NHL player. It's not a rumor. Why he would said that if it's not true? Modano won a Stanley Cup under Hitchcock, he can't be unhappy because of that. I also recall he said that Hitch is a good guy, his methods just gets tuned out in a team.

Handyy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 04:38 PM
  #15
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
But that came out of a NHL player. It's not a rumor. Why he would said that if it's not true? Modano won a Stanley Cup under Hitchcock, he can't be unhappy because of that. I also recall he said that Hitch is a good guy, his methods just gets tuned out in a team.
I didn't hear Modano say it. You didn't hear Modano say it. And no one can tell either of us what the hell it means. What I'm going on is what I see and hear for myself. So far, all the talk has been empty and bogus and I wouldn't take anyone else's word for anything. blah blah blah. Anyone can say anything they like, doesn't make it true.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 06:47 PM
  #16
CBJ44
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CBJ44
Modano is in the new SI and he talks about Hitch some. He praised him for making him a 2-way player instead of just being a goal scorer. Great article on him.

CBJ44 is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 06:58 PM
  #17
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I didn't hear Modano say it.
"Mike Modano knows what happens when Ken Hitchcock’s blustery message falls on deaf ears.

“We always used to put a quote up on the board, `Larry Bird says coaches can only coach a team for three years,’ ” Modano said.

“You get into a team, make adjustments, bring the team you want in, try to solidify something. After that, I think it’s just in one ear, out the other.”

“Coaches have to change just as much as the players.”

“I enjoyed playing for him,” Modano said a day after Hitchcock’s dismissal. “He’s demanding and hard, but there was a reason and a method to his madness.”

“He was still on us up until February that year we won,” Modano said of the 1998-99 season. “We only lost nine games until February and he was still as demanding at Game 60-something and 70-something that year as he was in the first 10. He never let off the gas that whole year.”

When the winning became less frequent, the situation became way too volatile. Once the veterans were gone, Modano said, a change was necessary.

“We had a lot of older guys on that team that could handle Hitch — that created a real good buffer between the coach and players,” he said of the championship club. “After that, there were no guys that would stand up against Hitch.”

Handyy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
  #18
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
"Mike Modano knows what happens when Ken Hitchcock’s blustery message falls on deaf ears.

“We always used to put a quote up on the board, `Larry Bird says coaches can only coach a team for three years,’ ” Modano said.

“You get into a team, make adjustments, bring the team you want in, try to solidify something. After that, I think it’s just in one ear, out the other.”

“Coaches have to change just as much as the players.”

“I enjoyed playing for him,” Modano said a day after Hitchcock’s dismissal. “He’s demanding and hard, but there was a reason and a method to his madness.”

“He was still on us up until February that year we won,” Modano said of the 1998-99 season. “We only lost nine games until February and he was still as demanding at Game 60-something and 70-something that year as he was in the first 10. He never let off the gas that whole year.”

When the winning became less frequent, the situation became way too volatile. Once the veterans were gone, Modano said, a change was necessary.

“We had a lot of older guys on that team that could handle Hitch — that created a real good buffer between the coach and players,” he said of the championship club. “After that, there were no guys that would stand up against Hitch.”
Your point? Neither Modano nor Hitchcock are the same men they were ... to report accurately on how HISTORY played out is not the same as to go all Nostradamus and find a way to predict the future. Seriously, Handyy, get off the coach and enjoy our team playing the best and most consistent hockey that they EVER have. mmkay?

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:10 PM
  #19
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Your point? Neither Modano nor Hitchcock are the same men they were ... to report accurately on how HISTORY played out is not the same as to go all Nostradamus and find a way to predict the future. Seriously, Handyy, get off the coach and enjoy our team playing the best and most consistent hockey that they EVER have. mmkay?
My point? You said Hitch and 7 yrs. I told "he might get tuned out quickly. But, at this point it obviously doesn't matter." You said those are just rumours. I pasted an article saying it was not a rumour. Nothing more.

Should we stop discussing about possible bad scenarios when a team is winning? What's wrong with it?

Handyy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:16 PM
  #20
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
My point? You said Hitch and 7 yrs. I told "he might get tuned out quickly. But, at this point it obviously doesn't matter." You said those are just rumours. I pasted an article saying it was not a rumour. Nothing more.

Should we stop discussing about possible bad scenarios when a team is winning? What's wrong with it?
because it's stupid, handyy. the only time bad scenarios NEED to be discussed is when they are happening in front of your eyes...LIKE THE START TO OUR SEASON.

I don't CARE what Mo says... i'm sure it is true for him and his experience. I'm fortunate enough now that I get to have my OWN experience with Hitch and I'm happy about it. Period. Lay off!!!

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:24 PM
  #21
Handyy
Registered User
 
Handyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jyvaskyla, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Well, I did our fire escape plan for our housing association and yet I haven't seen a fire (I'm glad though)

But I'll lay off if you wish, I'm not here to make people mad, only to discuss about hockey and stuff...

Handyy is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:33 PM
  #22
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Well, I did our fire escape plan for our housing association and yet I haven't seen a fire (I'm glad though)

But I'll lay off if you wish, I'm not here to make people mad, only to discuss about hockey and stuff...
yes, well a fire escape plan is only necessary should the fire prevention plan fail.

i'm not mad handyy. Hitchcock told the players that their slates had been wiped clean - that from now on, what they did, what they produced, what they contributed - that is what he would "know" about them. You need to give Hitchcock the same freedom and grace he gave our players. That's it. El Fin.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
  #23
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,658
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
yes, well a fire escape plan is only necessary should the fire prevention plan fail.

i'm not mad handyy. Hitchcock told the players that their slates had been wiped clean - that from now on, what they did, what they produced, what they contributed - that is what he would "know" about them. You need to give Hitchcock the same freedom and grace he gave our players. That's it. El Fin.

Your right Pluck....and I'm glad you and Handyy have agreed to disagree....I'm sort of shocked at Handyy but on the otherhand we don't want any wimps around here either.......

To be honest, I don't give a rats butt about any negatives about Hitch's past. He is a great coach and our team is responding like I've never seen before.....that means something to fans who have stuck around for 5 years of losing......

Robert is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 07:56 PM
  #24
cbj21
Registered User
 
cbj21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Shampoo land
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,578
vCash: 500
Hitch has the rep of beeing tough on the players but has said himself he has learned he cant yell at them as he used to do in the past.
I for one would have loved to find out what his methods used to be and i dont see why its wrong about debating that without getting the "blah, blah, blah" treatment lol
(2nd time tonight even)

cbj21 is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 08:32 PM
  #25
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
Hitch has the rep of beeing tough on the players but has said himself he has learned he cant yell at them as he used to do in the past.
I for one would have loved to find out what his methods used to be and i dont see why its wrong about debating that without getting the "blah, blah, blah" treatment lol
(2nd time tonight even)
blah blah blah. which is how i feel when i try to read posts from non-native english speakers. you are both vastly superior to me in your 2nd language skills...still doesn't mean i have the desire to hash through every sentence construction and curious phrasing. you're both very smart guys...but i have better things to do than ... mmm blah blah blah.

Pluckfur is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.