HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to part with Kostitsyn

Old
12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
MBJets

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
Yes. Trade the guy who is 2nd in our Farm team, 1st in our prospects. Good job. Trade off a valuable young prospect who could possibly be the next Koivu. It takes time to adapt to the NHL. Give him time. It's funny how everybody was so keen on giving Latandresse time. It took him like over 10 games to put up a goal. But Kosty barely played at all and he's getting the shaft from people already.

Listen.

Kostitsyn has almost half the points he did last season in the AHL in 1/3 of the games played. That's an improvement. That means he is getting more points. He was also a - on +/- last season. This season he's a +11. He also got two goals in one shootout where the other 4 shooters got nothing. Including the other team who only got 1g/6ppl on the shootout. That's one guy getting 2/3 of the goals on like 12 shots.
Every year there are prospects traded. The fact that he is "2nd in our Farm team" does not mean that he will ever be an impact NHL player. There are several opinions on that and as far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Mine is that there are several players from his draft class in the NHL and some who haven't had the opportunity because of strong organizations. He has trade value now; trade him for a proven NHL player that will help the team.

MBJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I never understand why some people actually hope that certain players get injured.

Kovalev gives plenty of reasons for fans to get irritated but why go this far?

Doesn't kovalev have a suite in the bell centre for sick kids? When you want someone to get hurt, that's beyond hockey, that's personal.... and its sick
I dont wish him any kind of pain.. Im just sick of his lazzyness and soft plays.. I guess its the same thing for Carbo who said he couldnt stand players only relying on their talent.. Kovy is the only player on the team floating around and playing without any intensity...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:39 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets View Post
Every year there are prospects traded. The fact that he is "2nd in our Farm team" does not mean that he will ever be an impact NHL player. There are several opinions on that and as far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Mine is that there are several players from his draft class in the NHL and some who haven't had the opportunity because of strong organizations. He has trade value now; trade him for a proven NHL player that will help the team.
You're kidding right ? how many AHLers have enough value to get a proven NHL player in return ? none...

Last edited by ECWHSWI: 12-13-2006 at 07:51 PM.
ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post

Is he right or wrong? I don't care, I'll trust his judgement over yours 12 times out of 10 though.
So you, and Timmins, feel Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Getzlaf. This team has been dying for size,and grit upfront, for years now. However, Timmins feels we had to take the Russian, who still hasn't cracked the lineup.

I'm not saying Timmins is a bum. He's saying what he feels necessary, not the truth.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:32 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
None?!!?!!
What about Jozef (Josef?) Balej from our AHL team, for...

Alexei Kovalev

I still thank the Rangers (Glen Sather) for this!! We obtained Kovalev at a super bargain price.

------------------------ ------------------------- ---------

All that said (in the above), I wouldn't trade one of our best prospects (A.Kostitsyn). He has waaaaaaay too much talent. Carbo and Muller will mold/mould him into a smart hopefully (TWO-WAY) OFFENSIVE player (Kosts has all the right coaching tools to succeed: Carbo + Muller + their patience).

Remember...Kosts is only 21...
It was at the deadline and Kovy was falling UFA at the end of the season...

I dont see the point to even thinking about trading our most skilled prospect... Houle management.

Old
12-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
So you, and Timmins, feel Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Getzlaf. This team has been dying for size,and grit upfront, for years now. However, Timmins feels we had to take the Russian, who still hasn't cracked the lineup.

I'm not saying Timmins is a bum. He's saying what he feels necessary, not the truth.
Getzlaf went what, 21st or so and was projected to go in the 20s or so? That would have been a huge reach at 10 and you would've been ready to chastise Savard and Co for not trading down.

I realize Gainey was with the team for the '03 draft but It is my belief that he didn't have as much influence as he did in subsequent years when he was involved with the team for a whole season.

Roke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post

I dont see the point to even thinking about trading our most skilled prospect... Houle management.
Oddly enough though, Houle did draft Markov and Ryder, and traded for Souray.

Scary thought.

Old
12-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I realize Gainey was with the team for the '03 draft but It is my belief that he didn't have as much influence as he did in subsequent years when he was involved with the team for a whole season.
I'm not sure how much input Gainey has in the draft, to be honest. He appears to let his scouts do their job, and he stays out of it.

Old
12-14-2006, 01:23 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
None?!!?!!
What about Jozef (Josef?) Balej from our AHL team, for...

Alexei Kovalev

I still thank the Rangers (Glen Sather) for this!! We obtained Kovalev at a super bargain price.

------------------------ ------------------------- ---------

All that said (in the above), I wouldn't trade one of our best prospects (A.Kostitsyn). He has waaaaaaay too much talent. Carbo and Muller will mold/mould him into a smart hopefully (TWO-WAY) OFFENSIVE player (Kosts has all the right coaching tools to succeed: Carbo + Muller + their patience).

Remember...Kosts is only 21...
Or is he still thanking Gainey to allow him to dump the salary - while Balej is a bust, I don't think Sather is that disappointed by the trade

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Or is he still thanking Gainey to allow him to dump the salary - while Balej is a bust, I don't think Sather is that disappointed by the trade
Well...I'm very happy with that trade.
I was only worried (at the time) 'cause I thought we lost a good prospect (Balej) for a 2 month rental in Kovalev. I didn't think he would sign.

I'm glad we have Kovalev and we didn't lose a first round pick(s) or a good prospect in order to get him...Huge PLUS for the HABS.

For example, TORONTO gave Brad Boyes for Owen Nolan...
and Tuukka Rask for Raycroft. Toronto would be in better shape if they had kept Boyes and Rask...(they could have had 3 good prospects instead of just Tlusty, well...Boyes is not a prospect anymore but you know what I mean...).

We received Kovalev for Balej, not bad at all, IMO!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-14-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

What does Getzlaf have to do with Kostitsyn being NHL ready? Also how do you know Timmins wanted Kostitsyn since Savard was the GM and he had the final say.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think he's just talking about Timmins opinion as being a biased one since his job is related to the success of these players. Timmins said that Kostitsyn was NHL ready after he was drafted, which clearly was very far from the truth. His defensive play was so poor it's as though he had no clue what he was supposed to do. I only saw him play twice with CSKA, but I could see why he wasn't getting a lot of ice time since he was a liability in his own end.
Timmins didn't say he was NHL ready, he said his skills(shot, skating, dekes, etc) we're.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
MBJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
You're kidding right ? how many AHLers have enough value to get a proven NHL player in return ? none...
I guess you forgot when this trade happened!!! That okay I have been wrong before to!!!

Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jaromir Jagr and Frantisek Kucera to the Washington Capitals for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek and Ross Lupaschuk and future considerations.

MBJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Getzlaf went what, 21st or so and was projected to go in the 20s or so? That would have been a huge reach at 10 and you would've been ready to chastise Savard and Co for not trading down.
Actually THN had Getzlaf ranked 9th overall and Central Scouting ranked him fifth amongst NA skaters, so he was rated quite high, but he fell in the draft. I think turnbuckle said that Montreal was quite interested in Getzlaf (turnbuckle has some scouting contacts), but a lot of people on this board hoped that it wasn't true because 'Getzlaf didn't put up a point per game and thus doesn't have top line upside'--which serves as a lesson that you have to scout the player, not his statistics.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to have drafted Getzlaf instead, but they are all still young and even if Kostitsyn isn't coming along as quickly as we would have hoped, he has shown marked improvement each year (which is what you want out of a prospect) and he has undeniable tools, so it's still way too early to pigeon-hole his potential and career, especially since he's just 21.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
guapo23

Quick Everybody : Panic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Habs Player Will Ever Be As Good As We Expect So As Soon As They Playing Well Trade Them !!!!!!

Trade Huet - He Is A Flash In The Pan !!

Trade Koivu - He Is Getting Old !!!

Fire Gainey - He Hasn't Won Us A Cup Yet As Gm !!!!!!

Trade Carey Price - He Hasn;t Cracked The Habs Line Up Yet So He Must Be A Dissapointment Also !!!!!!!!!!!!

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
Actually THN had Getzlaf ranked 9th overall and Central Scouting ranked him fifth amongst NA skaters, so he was rated quite high, but he fell in the draft. I think turnbuckle said that Montreal was quite interested in Getzlaf (turnbuckle has some scouting contacts), but a lot of people on this board hoped that it wasn't true because 'Getzlaf didn't put up a point per game and thus doesn't have top line upside'--which serves as a lesson that you have to scout the player, not his statistics.

In retrospect, it would have been nice to have drafted Getzlaf instead, but they are all still young and even if Kostitsyn isn't coming along as quickly as we would have hoped, he has shown marked improvement each year (which is what you want out of a prospect) and he has undeniable tools, so it's still way too early to pigeon-hole his potential and career, especially since he's just 21.
Getzlaf was fiting more with our needs but Kostitsyn was and still is the most promising talent..

Old
12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post

You have a good memory Genghis. I also said Carter was in the mix. I talked to Timmins today and I'll be talking to him again soon...I'll try to confirm whether that was the case, I didn't have time to ask him if those two were highly considered or not.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 01:05 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post

I usually like and agree with your comments but i just dont understand your Kovalev rant/hate. I think we know by now that you cant build a team around Kovalev. Tooo inconsistant and does not play the same way everygame. However, he is a key ingredient for a winning team as he can win you games all by himself. Trading him would be just stupid and wed realize quickly how much he was valuable to us once gone. I say its a shame that Kosts didnt pan out faster, he would be playing with Kovy right now, not samsonov...

That being said, can u explain me why oh why u want Kovalev gone cuz it just doesnt make sense, especially now that we have a winning team?

Last edited by jcpenny: 12-16-2006 at 01:11 PM.
jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote