HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official GDT 12/12/06: Tampa Bay @ Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Hockeyfan02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
So, the non-call on Boyle on the power play explains away how Toronto ended up on a short handed 2 on 0? Where were the other 4 guys? Yea, TO should have gotten a penalty, but had Boyle just blown a tire there the result is a 2 on 0????
Let's hope not.
Well obviously if Boyle falls down without help from Kubina, the 2 on 0 happens the same way it did. But the point is that Kubina tripping Boyle led directly to Kubina getting the puck and making the outlet pass instead of going to the box. I guess the refs were consistant in missing obivous tripping calls because a similar trip in the final 10 seconds in the neutral zone on a Leaf player (Sundin I think) that almost led to a Lecavalier breakaway at the end of regulation. The refs need to look at that game tape and shake their heads. They missed some obvious calls while calling two phantom penalties that led to PP goals for both teams (Craig's "trip" and Kilger's "hook").

Old
12-13-2006, 10:15 AM
LastoftheBrunnenG

You can't dismiss the reffing as part of the game that evens up. Last night was a travesty, not because it hurt the Lightning, but because it illustrates how poor the officiating, in general, is across the NHL. Both refs were looking right at Kuby. But they'll call a touch/pull in neutral ice that doesn't give anyone an advantage.

Old
12-13-2006, 10:53 AM
gobolt7

Quote:
All things even up in time.
We have heard that more than once from the oppositions fans this year as they walk away with 2 points because of officiating issues. Dont mind us if we are sick of hearing it.

Old
12-13-2006, 11:08 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
We have heard that more than once from the oppositions fans this year as they walk away with 2 points because of officiating issues. Dont mind us if we are sick of hearing it.
Myself I don't worry about the refs but I'd bet most Leaf fans would feel we won last night inspite the refs. IMO, they are brutal every night towards both teams but one tends to focus when watching on their favourite team and don't see both sides evenly.

The whole game came down to brutal goaltending, we pulled ours you guys didn't.

Old
12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Ya the refs blew the tripping call on Boyle...I think its pretty obvious. But the whole justification of your "refs were bad" argument is pretty much that one instance. There wasn't any other blatant blown calls in either direction, in fact the penalties ended up with Toronto having one more(5 to 4)...

Old
12-13-2006, 04:17 PM
txpd

You can whine about the referees all you want and it really doesn't change things.
You can blow off the complete breakdown that happened to create a 2 on 0 as the referees fault when the team had totally gone blotto in the process.

part of my reason for posting is that in tampa town there is never a bad call that kills the opposition. every penalty on the other guys is justified and most penalties on the bolts are a joke. thats peckham and the chief.

I've seen lightning players get throttled by checks and peckham barely notes the event unless he wants to comment on a potential penalty. while a good check by a TB player is "crushing" the guy.

Thats part of what I am saying.

the other part of what I am saying is the longer you try and blame the referees the longer it takes to see the real problem. A 2 on 0 should NEVER happen, much less with the man advantage. By the way...what was Tampa Bay doing even playing a close game against Toronto anyway? TO is in their death spiral. They are done and played like crap in that game. TB should have been eating that up.

btw...i saw the "road ahead" feature before the 3rd period. tough schedule. good luck

Old
12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Quote:
part of my reason for posting is that in tampa town there is never a bad call that kills the opposition. every penalty on the other guys is justified and most penalties on the bolts are a joke. thats peckham and the chief.

I've seen lightning players get throttled by checks and peckham barely notes the event unless he wants to comment on a potential penalty. while a good check by a TB player is "crushing" the guy.
Rick and Chief are very "homer", and I dont mind it a bit usually, but last night was a bit much...I really didnt need the Chief 20 minute explanation of how the Lightning were robbed and it happens all the time. I'd expect that out of a fan, not the guy paid to add something useful to a telecast lol

Old
12-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8000
Awards:
It's a shame that Tampa fans can't vent on their own board during/after a game ...

Are the Refs the sole reason Tampa lost?? NO.. they had that game.. had Toronto where they wanted them and instead of moving in for the kill they backed off and tried to play "pretty hockey" same crap they have been doing for awhile...Which is part of the "real problem" with this team..(which Tampa fans already KNOW well) They backed off let the ML have room to breath and off they went... with a little "help" from the refs...Game over and Tampa loses another one...

12-13-2006, 05:22 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
So much for that.

Although they kind of gave up after the tying goal, the following didn't help:

1. 3rd goal should have been a tripping penalty on Kubina (PP for Bolts) instead of the tying goal.

2. 4th goal was on the Loafs PP on a fantom call on Craig (who never even touched the guy and he falls down).

3. and quite a few other calls that should have gone the Lightning's way on high-sticks against Vinny and Marty.

4. and last but not least was Kuby's elbow to either Brad or Craiger late in the game.
I read the Trib's article on the game today and none of this was even remotely mentioned! They even have a picture of Sarich winning the icing that was never called!

It avoided it so much that I wrote an email to the writer of the article asking him why he didn't even mention that some of the calls were questionable. He even detailed the tying goal without mentioning Boyle being tripped!

I agree that there is no consistency, but the fact is, the two WORST called games for us this year were both against Toronto. The league isn't out to get the Lightning, its true, but they might be out to help Toronto!

Old
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
This is just a thought from an outsider who lived in Sarasota til recently and was rooting up the Bolts last night. I've watched a lot of Lightning hockey and after years of Peckham and the Chief I can't recall them ever pointing out a bad call or more to the point for this conversation a non-call when it falls the Lightning way.

Had it been Boyle chopping down Kaberle, if you were not looking to see it yourself, it never happened.

The other team gets hosed as often as the Bolts do by the officials. Thats life. But to listen to them and then read this forum after, its like the league is after TB and always give them the pipe.

So, the non-call on Boyle on the power play explains away how Toronto ended up on a short handed 2 on 0? Where were the other 4 guys? Yea, TO should have gotten a penalty, but had Boyle just blown a tire there the result is a 2 on 0????
Let's hope not.

All things even up in time.
Ranger went back and the puck jumped over his stick. Secondly, I, for one, don't solely listen to Rick and the Chief to give me my info, I watch the game to see where the calls should be made. I've seen plenty of non-calls before for both us and the other team that they didn't mention. Usually such calls even out. In this case they didn't.

Generally non-calls are the result of the refs being lax with the rules and the opposite is the result of them being zealous. This was inconsistent, within the same game. According to what was allowed for Toronto, we shouldn't have received any power plays and neither should they have. The most flagrant penalty wasn't called; why should any of the others have been called?

Old
12-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Hockeyfan02

Rick and Chief are big homers. Sometimes they are funny, other times they just sound retarded. Around the league, there are all kinds of homer commentators when I watch games on Center ice. They are calling the game for a team and will obviously have some bias involved towards that team.

I think I've said it about 4 or 5 times, but I'll say it again. Officiating isn't the reason the Lightning lost. Bad goaltending and the lack of effort after going up 3-1 are the two reasons they lost. Officiating had nothing to do with either. My main beef with the officiating is that it was bad for both sides and around the league is inconsistant. Here are the examples you want Leafs4cup: A blown icing when Sarich touched the puck first, two missed high sticks, missed tripping calls for both teams that almost or did lead to a goal, and two marginal calls on both teams allowed the other to score PP goals. Granted there are missed calls in every single game and the officiating will never be perfect, but last night was pretty bad. If I'm labled as a "whiner" for wanting better and more consistant officiating in the league, then so be it.

Old
12-13-2006, 05:57 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Well obviously if Boyle falls down without help from Kubina, the 2 on 0 happens the same way it did. But the point is that Kubina tripping Boyle led directly to Kubina getting the puck and making the outlet pass instead of going to the box. I guess the refs were consistant in missing obivous tripping calls because a similar trip in the final 10 seconds in the neutral zone on a Leaf player (Sundin I think) that almost led to a Lecavalier breakaway at the end of regulation. The refs need to look at that game tape and shake their heads. They missed some obvious calls while calling two phantom penalties that led to PP goals for both teams (Craig's "trip" and Kilger's "hook").
Well said.

Also consider that Boyle would probably have forethought of falling on his own and thus able to make an attempt at throwing it away from Kubina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Also well said. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup View Post
Ya the refs blew the tripping call on Boyle...I think its pretty obvious. But the whole justification of your "refs were bad" argument is pretty much that one instance. There wasn't any other blatant blown calls in either direction, in fact the penalties ended up with Toronto having one more(5 to 4)...
Well, two of your goals came on bad calls. Only one of ours did. That would have left the game at 3-3. Of course two highsticks weren't called. Neither was a late hit and roughing/crosschecking.

Old
12-13-2006, 06:11 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristia28 View Post
It's a shame that Tampa fans can't vent on their own board during/after a game ...

Are the Refs the sole reason Tampa lost?? NO.. they had that game.. had Toronto where they wanted them and instead of moving in for the kill they backed off and tried to play "pretty hockey" same crap they have been doing for awhile...Which is part of the "real problem" with this team..(which Tampa fans already KNOW well) They backed off let the ML have room to breath and off they went... with a little "help" from the refs...Game over and Tampa loses another one...
To be fair, yeah we gave up after being up 3-1. But we didn't give up enough to lose 5-4. And once it was 3-3, which it never should have been, we started to play again. Who knows what would have happened had the game been called correctly, but if we had lost purely out of effort, I wouldn't be complaining except for the lack of effort!

Old
12-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup View Post
Ya the refs blew the tripping call on Boyle...I think its pretty obvious. But the whole justification of your "refs were bad" argument is pretty much that one instance.
One instance? The phantom call (which lead to a PP goal) on Craiger. Bolts on a PP when Marty gets high-sticked (which would have given them a 5 on 3). And if it was obvious, it should have been called and the tying goal wouldn't have happened.

You don't think plays/non-calls like that deflates a team? Especially with Jackson calling the game?

Old
12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Tokala

Quote:
One instance? The phantom call (which lead to a PP goal) on Craiger. Bolts on a PP when Marty gets high-sticked (which would have given them a 5 on 3). And if it was obvious, it should have been called and the tying goal wouldn't have happened.

You don't think plays/non-calls like that deflates a team? Especially with Jackson calling the game?
I don't think that this team could overcome any adversity! They have to believe in themselves first. Once they manage that, penalties and f-ups become secondary. They haven't believed in themselves since the day after they raised the banner.

Quit looking at the officials/penalties/non-calls and start looking at the bench. Maybe even squint a little and look behind the bench. Maybe get the binoculars and check out the media box or team suite.

Their problems are internal. It's been that way since the banner raising.

If we want to play the "blame the officials game" we need to go back to 1999-2001 seasons. I personally do not want to revisit that time period of Lightning hockey.

Old
12-14-2006, 02:54 PM
OptimismRestrainer

I refuse to blame anyone except the players for that well beyond pitiful performance they put in after going up 2 goals and convincing themselves they couldn't lose. Truth is after their third goal they sucked as much as they have ever sucked and deserved to lose worse than they did. I'm tired of making excuses for these ****ing bums, they suck as a team, it's that simple.

Old
12-14-2006, 10:41 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
I refuse to blame anyone except the players for that well beyond pitiful performance they put in after going up 2 goals and convincing themselves they couldn't lose. Truth is after their third goal they sucked as much as they have ever sucked and deserved to lose worse than they did. I'm tired of making excuses for these ****ing bums, they suck as a team, it's that simple.
With fans like you guys, who needs enemies

Old
12-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
I personally do not want to revisit that time period of Lightning hockey.
I think we're already seeing it. We just seem to keep playing goalies that stand on their heads (Huet), or we stink, but at least one of the two. Giving up 2 shorties is unacceptable.

Old
12-15-2006, 06:13 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
I think we're already seeing it. We just seem to keep playing goalies that stand on their heads (Huet), or we stink, but at least one of the two. Giving up 2 shorties is unacceptable.
Just to be sure, we're talking about the Toronto game, not last night's unfortunate incident with Huet

Old
12-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Hawkeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
Just to be sure, we're talking about the Toronto game, not last night's unfortunate incident with Huet
Whoops, wrong thread, but still stinks.

Old
12-16-2006, 03:11 AM
IcePalace

Quote:
Whoops, wrong thread, but still stinks.
It's ok, it can become quite confusing. Especially if you open up multiple tabs from the same forum, and possibly even the same thread!

And yes, it does indeed stink.

Old
12-16-2006, 09:15 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
With fans like you guys, who needs enemies

Oh believe me Ice, you're only blessed with my written skills. You should hear my eloquent, verbal lashings.

Old
12-16-2006, 07:19 PM
IcePalace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
Oh believe me Ice, you're only blessed with my written skills. You should hear my eloquent, verbal lashings.
I can imagine

Closed Thread