HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough of HNIC snubbing the Habs

Old
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Sherman

vCash: 500
Enough of HNIC snubbing the Habs

Are you sick of CBC constantly showing Leafs games on hockey night in canada?
CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation NOT the Toronto Broadcasting Corporation. So for all taxpayers who support fair representation, there is a new online petition: http://************************/mod_pe...cgi?habshnic&1

here is the cover letter:
Hockey Night in Canada (HNIC), the longtime weekly program that unites Canadians coast-to-coast to watch their national pass-time, regularly shows Toronto Maple Leafs' games at the expense of other Canadian teams, particularly the Montreal Canadiens.

Not only are the Montreal Canadiens the most storied franchise of the National Hockey League, they provide good, wholesome entertainment and have fans from across the country. This contrasts with the Toronto Maple Leafs, whose fanbase is primarily Toronto and its surrounding area. While viewers admirably get a healthy dose of watching other Canadian teams out West (who all get decent exposure on the network), the entire country is regularly "taken hostage" into watching the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Previously, viewers had the option of switching to the French broadcast on SRC (French CBC) to watch Montreal Canadiens games, however that stopped a few years ago. As well, viewers in the Ottawa area are sometimes treated to Ottawa Senators games, yet this is not the case with Montreal and the rest of Quebec.

Therefore, it is grossly unfair to viewers in Montreal and across Canada whose tax dollars are paying for HNIC (as it is broadcast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) - a crown corporation) but are forced to watch a team that they really do not want to watch, while the station maintains their bias.

The city of Montreal and the province of Quebec comprise of a major population base in Canada, and as such, rightfully deserve the respect of being treated to Montreal Canadiens games. Additionally, the Montreal Canadiens have a greater fanbase across the country, so it is in the interest of the CBC, as a crown corporation, to respect the wishes of Canadians at large.

TO SIGN THE PETITION:

http://************************/mod_pe...cgi?habshnic&1

Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:26 AM
habfan4

I would certainly like to see a more equitable national early game schedule (one that included Ottawa as well as Montréal). Unfortunately the ratings and the financial windfall the CBC enjoys with the current NHIC setup makes any changes very unlikely. It would appear that the CBC may lose the NHL rights the next time they are up for bid, in that event we may see a more balanced schedule of games.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:29 AM
SenorDingDong

bahahahahaha

good luck...

there just given the people what they want

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Judge Sauer*

Done.

Doubt it'll make a difference though.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Habitants

i doubt it will do anything, but i still signed.

i really agree, and i find that habs fans are getting ripped! the only way we can watch is by getting rds

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:56 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Signed....but the CBC is acting like a private company by showing the Leafs, as they'll make more when they're on the tube. But seriously who wants to watch those horrid Leafs every frickin Saturday. It's tiresome.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
Are you sick of CBC constantly showing Leafs games on hockey night in canada?
Not really. I guess if there was no RDS or any other way of getting the Habs games I would be, but right now CBC might just as well show the Leafs instead AFAIC, I'd still watch RDS instead of CBC even if they were showing the Habs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:33 AM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Are they showing Canucks, Oilers, Flames or Senators games as well ??

Are RDS showing Maple Leafs games ? Or Canucks, Oilers, Flames games ?

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Now that I have RDS it doesn't really bother me anymore. I figure living in Toronto I should expect that they show the Leafs every Saturday. Don't people in Ottawa get to see Ottawa games? I always thought it was a regional thing.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:39 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
bahahahahaha

good luck...

there just given the people what they want
A race for a good draft spot? Come this Saturday the leafs could very well be sitting in last place of our division and in the bottom 3 of our conference.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:51 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

It speaks volumes of how successful CBC broadcasting Habs games (in French, mind you) that they stopped picking up the RDS feed. If it isn't worthwhile broadcasting Montreal in French, how would it be worthwhile in English?

12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
optimus2861

I won't sign it -- I don't want Hockey Night in Canada fixed.

I want it gone. I want the NHL rights taken away from CBC. CBC proved once and for all, on 3/11/06, that it will not change. It cannot be fixed. It's a waste of effort to even try. Its hockey production has become a fully integrated marketing arm of the Toronto Maple Leafs, unfit to carry the name Hockey Night in Canada. Its continued existence merely sullies the good name it once had.

When a dog has become this rabid, you put it down. So should it be with Hockey Night in Canada.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
Are they showing Canucks, Oilers, Flames or Senators games as well ??

Are RDS showing Maple Leafs games ? Or Canucks, Oilers, Flames games ?
RDS is at best a provincial television station since it's the only dedicated French sports station in the country. CBC is not only a national station, but even worse its a government station. It is paid for by the taxpayers. TSN has every right to show however many number of leaf games they want because they are a business. CBC is not. Yes they want to pull in a profit, but the goal of that station as a government station is to provide complete NATIONAL coverage of whatever they are showing, in this case hockey. It would be like Health Canada focusing on Ottawa because their headcourters are based there.

If you want to make an anology about RDS, try making one about the coverage of Habs games on RDS when the Nordiques existed. I say try because I simply have no idea.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Joe Cole

To be blunt, no professional club sports should be televised on a publicly funded network.

In the days before cable/satelite, it made sense to televise our national obsession. But since a large percentage of people have affordable access to cable/satelite TV, the CBC has out lasted it's obligation by 10 years.

The CBC should only televise amateur and international sports. Professional sports have no place on a network that is paid for off the paychecks of every Canadian.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:26 PM
RC51

HNIC should be dumped, in fact the CBC should be dumped.
Who watches this anyway execpt for the HINC fans.

Quebec should have it's own Hockey night in Quebec and thats it.
We paid for the darn CBC also. Our portion of the funding should go back to us for the HNIQ broadcast.

I would even vote to get the Habs farm team back in Quebec.
Put it in Quebec City. The Dogs get about 6000 per game and I bet Quebec city can get 5-10000 per game at the collise.

Ris can get the entire Dogs games on TV live from Quebec city.
Change the name back to the Nordique or close to it.Have the Habs play a few exibition games per year in pre-season

HUMM ! have I seen all this before?????

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Guy Caballero

Now that I have RDS, I couldn't care less about HNIC. Their coverage is poor anyway. The TSN/RDS-style broadcast has surpassed HNIC coverage in every way, from announcers to in-game graphics. Don Cherry is more irritating and irrelevant every year, and if I want to catch Hot Stove, I can during the Hab intermission anyway. Plus, for some reason, Rogers gives me RDS for free for the first 4 months every year, which means I actually have to pay for it only 2 months a year.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:31 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
HNIC should be dumped, in fact the CBC should be dumped.
Who watches this anyway execpt for the HINC fans.

Quebec should have it's own Hockey night in Quebec and thats it.
We paid for the darn CBC also. Our portion of the funding should go back to us for the HNIQ broadcast.

I would even vote to get the Habs farm team back in Quebec.
Put it in Quebec City. The Dogs get about 6000 per game and I bet Quebec city can get 5-10000 per game at the collise.

Ris can get the entire Dogs games on TV live from Quebec city.
Change the name back to the Nordique or close to it.Have the Habs play a few exibition games per year in pre-season

HUMM ! have I seen all this before?????
Don't the Remparts play in Le Colisee? Or some other team?

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
oli500

[QUOTE]This contrasts with the Toronto Maple Leafs, whose fanbase is primarily Toronto and its surrounding area[/QUOTE]

The toronto maple leafs have a huge fan base and there fan base is not just concentrated in the toronto region. I dont want to start a topic on this but this argument is bull and even thow I hate the leafs as a canadien fan, I have to admit they have a huge fan base, just as big as the montreal canadiens one.

Its all about ratings, and while I would like cbc to show more montreal canadiens game its totaly normal they have a biased for the maple leafs. We shouldent take out are anger on the cbc broadcast team but more so the rds and radio canada team. Why radio canada stop showing canadiens game is behond me. CBC is not responsible for the montreal canadiens. If you want to make petitions, you should make people sign something to try and bring back the canadiens on radio canada saturday nights. that was a tradition and they took it away from us. Cbc shouldent be blamed for this as theyve allways showed maple leaf games saturday nights and there not going to stop now. If your going to be unhapy at some one it should be rds and radio-canada for taking the tradition away. radio canada are the ones responsible, not cbc.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Don't the Remparts play in Le Colisee? Or some other team?
But they are not the Habs farm team.
Now that the habs have almost all their prospects on the dogs, it's just one step away from being a completley HAB team.

Years ago the Hab jr. Canadiens were nearly as popular as the habs.
It served as the habs farm team.

Quebec City needs better hockey, ticket prices would be a AHL prices.
Quebec city would support a FULL area every night.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

signed

Nova_Scotia_Vees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:43 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I just don't think that
a) You'll convince Patrick Roy to leave the arena by the goodness of his heart, the Remparts are turning into a classy organization. They need a decent arena to play in.
b) One arena can't sustain two teams like that.

I'm all for moving the Bulldogs to QC, even though while in Hamilton I get to watch them on TV, but I don't see it happening in Le Colisee.

Old
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
The CBC should only televise amateur and international sports. Professional sports have no place on a network that is paid for off the paychecks of every Canadian.
This would be a relevant point if advertising wasn't a larger source of revenue to the CBC than government funding. The CBC is not a purely government funded company.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
But they are not the Habs farm team.
Now that the habs have almost all their prospects on the dogs, it's just one step away from being a completley HAB team.

Years ago the Hab jr. Canadiens were nearly as popular as the habs.
It served as the habs farm team.

Quebec City needs better hockey, ticket prices would be a AHL prices.
Quebec city would support a FULL area every night.
AHL and IHL have tried out Quebec City. It didn't work as well as you claim it would.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
This would be a relevant point if advertising wasn't a larger source of revenue to the CBC than government funding. The CBC is not a purely government funded company.
That's something I read a while ago. The advertising revenue from HNIC funds something like 50% of the programming on CBC.

Old
12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Do you know this to be a fact? Either way though, their is public money in the CNC, and my 2 cents is that public money should not be chasing private companies such as TSN or whom ever else for the rights to televise pro sports.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote