HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough of HNIC snubbing the Habs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2006, 08:47 PM
  #51
Sherman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
wow already over 210 signatures, make sure to spread the word Canada-wide!

Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:04 PM
  #52
habsrock76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
I think a big reason why the team is in Hamilton and not in Quebec is because of the language issue. The NHL primarily being an english league, suggests that the players who dont know english would learn it quicker in an english enviroment.

On another note, the fact that the "PUBLICLY FUNDED" CBC still carries only Leaf games is an utter disgrace. The CBC is not a business but a public entity, and that only suggests that the Leafs, Sens, and Habs should be equally televised for early games, and the Oilers, Flames, and Nucks for the late games.

Just my two cents

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:11 PM
  #53
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
I think a big reason why the team is in Hamilton and not in Quebec is because of the language issue. The NHL primarily being an english league, suggests that the players who dont know english would learn it quicker in an english enviroment.
No. The Canadiens do not own the Bulldogs. It's referred to as an affiliate for a reason; the Bulldogs have their own owner. The reason the team is not in Quebec City is because any AHL or IHL club that's been in Quebec City in recent years has failed and folded.

Minor leagues are a business just as much as the NHL is; the owners aren't in the business of ensuring Montreal prospects are in an english environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
On another note, the fact that the "PUBLICLY FUNDED" CBC still carries only Leaf games is an utter disgrace. The CBC is not a business but a public entity, and that only suggests that the Leafs, Sens, and Habs should be equally televised for early games, and the Oilers, Flames, and Nucks for the late games.
Do you believe a purely public entity would have advertisement for private companies? Your answer to that should be no. The CBC is not a purely public entity, and the public does not pay for HNIC. HNIC pays for itself, as well as other parts of the CBC, thus saving the public money.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:47 PM
  #54
Razorblade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Although its not the main topic of the thread, I'm a Bulldogs season ticket holder and every single year since the Habs moved into Hamilton I hear someone say they want to move the Habs farm team to Montreal, Quebec City,etc...

Now I'm not sure if the Habs ever had an affiliate right in Montreal, but I know the failure of the Quebec Citadelles. Quebec City (specifically the owners and GM) wanted a competitive team ... not a developmental team. They wanted guys like Pierre Sevigny, Craig Darby, Eric Fichaud etc... to be on the team, to be playing top line minutes, and to be surrounded by other veterans as well. Montreal was getting tired of this, and its the main reason the two groups parted ways, and since the Edmonton/Hamilton organization had been threatening to move the Dogs for a couple years, the Canadiens were the saviours. It wouldn't work in Quebec City again, I guarantee it.

If the team was in Montreal, I'm really not sure if it would work...I can see it being amazing at first, maybe for the first year or so, but tapering of after that. Or not, who knows, but you've got two examples to go by: The Phantoms and the Marlies. And the last time I was in Toronto for a Marlies game, I could've bought a ticket in the cheap seats and sat front row center, or anywhere else I might have wanted to sit. The Phantoms don't do too badly, so who knows.

As far as criticizing the attendance in Hamilton...yes, agreed its bad at the beginning of the year. But it usually picks up after Christmas, because there always seem to be a lot of things going on before Christmas (NFL, World Series etc...) plus HECFI doesn't hold the Dogs highest in their pecking order (see: The Brier) and the scheduling can be crappy sometimes too. All I know is that the season ticket holder fanbase is very die-hard.

Razorblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:55 PM
  #55
Nyclaus
Registered User
 
Nyclaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Good Vibes!
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Signed!

fracking Laffs!

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:06 AM
  #56
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
Although its not the main topic of the thread, I'm a Bulldogs season ticket holder and every single year since the Habs moved into Hamilton I hear someone say they want to move the Habs farm team to Montreal, Quebec City,etc...

Now I'm not sure if the Habs ever had an affiliate right in Montreal, but I know the failure of the Quebec Citadelles. Quebec City (specifically the owners and GM) wanted a competitive team ... not a developmental team. They wanted guys like Pierre Sevigny, Craig Darby, Eric Fichaud etc... to be on the team, to be playing top line minutes, and to be surrounded by other veterans as well. Montreal was getting tired of this, and its the main reason the two groups parted ways, and since the Edmonton/Hamilton organization had been threatening to move the Dogs for a couple years, the Canadiens were the saviours. It wouldn't work in Quebec City again, I guarantee it.

If the team was in Montreal, I'm really not sure if it would work...I can see it being amazing at first, maybe for the first year or so, but tapering of after that. Or not, who knows, but you've got two examples to go by: The Phantoms and the Marlies. And the last time I was in Toronto for a Marlies game, I could've bought a ticket in the cheap seats and sat front row center, or anywhere else I might have wanted to sit. The Phantoms don't do too badly, so who knows.

As far as criticizing the attendance in Hamilton...yes, agreed its bad at the beginning of the year. But it usually picks up after Christmas, because there always seem to be a lot of things going on before Christmas (NFL, World Series etc...) plus HECFI doesn't hold the Dogs highest in their pecking order (see: The Brier) and the scheduling can be crappy sometimes too. All I know is that the season ticket holder fanbase is very die-hard.
The Phantoms do well. But they're in a unique position, being across the street from the Flyers' home. Plus, there's a history there, and there's a lot of Flyer-mentality instilled in the Phantoms, with broadstreet bully alumni running the Phantoms ... it's really the one beautifully ran affiliate, if there ever was one.

Anyway, we have another piece of evidence to discern whether a farm club would work in Montreal or not: the Montreal Rockets of the QMJHL. A complete flop in Montreal, despite the fact that it had some Montreal prospects and was run by Serge Savard's boy, with former Hab coach Alain Vigneault at the helm, and played occasionally right downtown at the Bell Centre.


Further, if the team had an AHL affiliate in Montreal, I can't imagine where they would play. Certainly not anywhere downtown, which would eliminate a lot of potential fans (seeing as the Bell Centre is right downtown and connected to a metro & train station).


On another note: how's O'Byrne doing? How would you compare his hockey sense to Komisarek's when the latter was in the AHL? Or his first-pass?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:46 AM
  #57
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
7 of those are Quebec-only regional telecasts, 7 more are against the Leafs.

So that leaves a whopping 3 national Canadiens games on the network that don't involve the Leafs, and they're all afternoon games. That 7pm slot is all-Leafs, all-the-time.

Yeah, it's a biiiiiig improvement.
It is, at least for people in Quebec watching CBC Montreal. As someone outside of Quebec, either you get a service (i.e. satellite) that carries CBC Montreal's signal, or you pester CBC to show Habs games on CBC Halifax.

There is also improvement regionally for Ottawa, from what I've seen; it looks like Ottawa's getting more games on Saturday nights than they used to.

Honestly, improvement at this point is hoping that the *best* matchup would be shown nationally every Saturday night (between Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal for the early game), but that's going to be resisted by a lot of the advertisers, and they're the ones who pay the HNIC bill (not us, as someone else pointed out). In fact, these advertisers probably pay for as much as 25% of the total CBC bill.

Money talks, as everyone knows. Either you accept and use alternatives (and there are a pleathora, coming from someone who has gone from antenna to cable (Videotron) to quasi-digital cable (LOOK) to digital cable (Videotron's illico) to satellite (Starchoice) in the past dozen years)

If someone in this country really wants to watch the Habs, they can... 82 nights a year (unless RDS stupidly pre-empts one of them for some godforsaken event, which seems to happen once a year)... complaining that you need a satellite won't get much sympathy from me.

It's not like it's a constituional right to get to watch your favourite sports team on the free OTA signal, right?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:44 AM
  #58
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,677
vCash: 500
I live out West in BC and am forced to watch Leafs games every Saturday. It sucks that I can't watch the Habs as often as I would like. As a result, I will sign the petition. However, I refuse to watch the CBC anymore, not because of a lack of Habs games, but because of a significant degree of bias inherent in their broadcasts. Whenever I watch a Leafs-Habs game, it feels as though I am listening to and watching a regional broadcast instead of a national one. Now that a digital terminal has come down in price in BC, I have bought one. Therefore, I have subscribed to RDS and would rather watch it instead of a national CBC broadcast of the Habs 99% of the time. Even though it is in French, I do understand a majority of what is being said because of 15 years watching the Habs on SRC. In short, I would like to see the Habs more often on the CBC but the nature of the broadcast precludes any enjoyment due to the biased nature of the broadcasts, which means that RDS is my only option.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:14 AM
  #59
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
7 of those are Quebec-only regional telecasts, 7 more are against the Leafs.

So that leaves a whopping 3 national Canadiens games on the network that don't involve the Leafs, and they're all afternoon games. That 7pm slot is all-Leafs, all-the-time.

Yeah, it's a biiiiiig improvement.
and one of them is the superbowl game where it is the only scheduled game (other than Isles/Craps), another is hockey day in canada. haha and the other is because the leafs play out west that night.


Last edited by Fish on The Sand: 12-14-2006 at 05:20 AM.
Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:18 AM
  #60
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,877
vCash: 500
I'd also like to see something here. I have a satellite dish and can actually watch every habs game on RDS or when center ice is working on the other dish on that. However, I am yet to actually see the habs on any cbc channel this year when they aren't playing the leafs. Do you have to actually live in quebec to see these regional games? I always found it ironic how my cbc montreal channel shows leafs games on saturday nights.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:40 AM
  #61
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
It's not like it's a constituional right to get to watch your favourite sports team on the free OTA signal, right?
I do have RDS, and have effectively tuned out HNIC. So from my personal desires, it's no longer an issue. It's more a philosophical/political point now: CBC is a taxpayer-funded public broadcaster with a legislated mandate to provide programming of interest to all Canadians. It is inappropriate for the CBC in its role to disproportionately favour one Canadian NHL team over all the others. It's also hypocritical for CBC to retreat behind the ratings/business case for its Leaf bias when it has no trouble using the former scenario to justify all kinds of questionable programming. Taking the split argument - "We make money on the Leafs so taxpayers don't have to pay as much" - seems even more disingenuous, as if to say they want our tax dollars to pay for their crap while they do things their way on stuff that makes them money.

If CBC weren't publicly funded, I wouldn't care. They could do what they want and justify it however they want. But as long as they suck down a billion bucks a year from the taxpayers, they damn well ought not to play favourites.

In this day & age, I think the need for CBC is at an end anyway. Kick them off the government teat and let's see just how long they'll last.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:44 AM
  #62
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Who are these Leafs you speak of?

I hear mention of them constantly on HNIC broadcasts and several sports shows, but to my knowledge they're not in the NHL.

Is it an expansion team they're trying to get to Toronto?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:25 AM
  #63
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I do have RDS, and have effectively tuned out HNIC. So from my personal desires, it's no longer an issue. It's more a philosophical/political point now: CBC is a taxpayer-funded public broadcaster with a legislated mandate to provide programming of interest to all Canadians. It is inappropriate for the CBC in its role to disproportionately favour one Canadian NHL team over all the others. It's also hypocritical for CBC to retreat behind the ratings/business case for its Leaf bias when it has no trouble using the former scenario to justify all kinds of questionable programming. Taking the split argument - "We make money on the Leafs so taxpayers don't have to pay as much" - seems even more disingenuous, as if to say they want our tax dollars to pay for their crap while they do things their way on stuff that makes them money.

If CBC weren't publicly funded, I wouldn't care. They could do what they want and justify it however they want. But as long as they suck down a billion bucks a year from the taxpayers, they damn well ought not to play favourites.

In this day & age, I think the need for CBC is at an end anyway. Kick them off the government teat and let's see just how long they'll last.
Well said!

I agree with everything written here, and at this point I believe that CBC should not only show more Habs games, but more Ottawa games too! The teams in the west are usually pretty well represented since the double header that is shown - but the three teams that are all in the eastern time zone are not being given a fair amount of broadcast time. If you want it to be Hockey Night In Canada, everything should be split up as fairly as possible. CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and we pay money for them to broadcast unbiased programming from news all the way to sports. Just because the ratings for a Toronto game are higher does not mean they should show 98% of games in the eartern time zone featuring Toronto - that is not what WE pay for. If they find that they cannot broadcast an unbiased HNIC because they would not have enough revenue to pay for it, maybe it's time to give up their exclusive rights and call it Hockey Night In Toronto instead. Then let someone like TSN or Sportsnet come in and show some games too. Then all parties involved get advertising revenue and the fans get CHOICE.

Now there's a win-win for everyone.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:14 PM
  #64
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
HNIC should be dumped, in fact the CBC should be dumped.
Who watches this anyway execpt for the HINC fans.

Quebec should have it's own Hockey night in Quebec and thats it.
We paid for the darn CBC also. Our portion of the funding should go back to us for the HNIQ broadcast.

I would even vote to get the Habs farm team back in Quebec.
Put it in Quebec City. The Dogs get about 6000 per game and I bet Quebec city can get 5-10000 per game at the collise.

Ris can get the entire Dogs games on TV live from Quebec city.
Change the name back to the Nordique or close to it.Have the Habs play a few exibition games per year in pre-season

HUMM ! have I seen all this before?????
People in Quebec City DON'T want to have a Habs' affiliate team in their town. They had the Citadels for a couple of years and it did not work. They prefer their semi pro -the Radio-X - and of course Patrick Roy's Remparts in the Q.

They should just build a new 6000-8000 arena in the Montreal area (Laval ?) and then move the Bulldogs in there.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:39 PM
  #65
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
It is, at least for people in Quebec watching CBC Montreal. As someone outside of Quebec, either you get a service (i.e. satellite) that carries CBC Montreal's signal, or you pester CBC to show Habs games on CBC Halifax.

There is also improvement regionally for Ottawa, from what I've seen; it looks like Ottawa's getting more games on Saturday nights than they used to.

Honestly, improvement at this point is hoping that the *best* matchup would be shown nationally every Saturday night (between Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal for the early game), but that's going to be resisted by a lot of the advertisers, and they're the ones who pay the HNIC bill (not us, as someone else pointed out). In fact, these advertisers probably pay for as much as 25% of the total CBC bill.

Money talks, as everyone knows. Either you accept and use alternatives (and there are a pleathora, coming from someone who has gone from antenna to cable (Videotron) to quasi-digital cable (LOOK) to digital cable (Videotron's illico) to satellite (Starchoice) in the past dozen years)

If someone in this country really wants to watch the Habs, they can... 82 nights a year (unless RDS stupidly pre-empts one of them for some godforsaken event, which seems to happen once a year)... complaining that you need a satellite won't get much sympathy from me.

It's not like it's a constituional right to get to watch your favourite sports team on the free OTA signal, right?
Are you a lawyer that works for CBC?

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:02 PM
  #66
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
The bottomline is who really cares. As a Habs fan I get to watch every game of their season on RDS. IMO it would suck to be a Leafs fan and only get to watch one game a week at the most on CBC. I watch my Habs games for free. If the Leaf fans want to watch every game they have to pay for the NHL package. The crazy thing about that is even here in New Brunswick the NHL network blacks out Toronto games. That doesn't bother me a bit but it drives my brother crazy.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:03 PM
  #67
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
I signed the petition but I doubt it will succeed due to its bellicose nature - it way too pro-Habs anti-Leafs to succeed.

A better petition would have been more neutral in tone and asked for equal coverage of all six Canadian teams on our national airwaves :

7pm game - rotate each week between Habs, Leafs, Sens.
10pm game - rotate each week between Flames, Oilers, Canucks.

Or at least make it regional so that each region gets to see their team.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:08 PM
  #68
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
The petition should also insist that Hary Neale & Bob Cole be forced to retire or at least only allowed to call Leafs games. They certainly have no business working during the playoffs.

If during a boradcast you constantly get the names of the players wrong and frequently get the names of the TEAMS wrong, you have no business being in broadcasting.

example 1 :
"oh what a shot by Kovalenko" - on a shot by Kovalchuk

example 2 : in a game of Toronto vs Philadelphia
" and that... was a great play there .... by the Florida player "

(the ... are to indicate the WILLIAM SHATNER style pauses in his delivery.)

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
  #69
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Hey

Same old same old

Been a Habs fan forever. If you go back to the 60's, the worst thing about watching hockey was:

1. There were two nationally televised games a week. Wed (CTV) and Sat (CBC)
2. Invariably, the Leafs were on unless they were on the road
3. EXCEPT . . . every now and then just to pi$$ off Habs fans, even when on the road, they would show the Leafs anyway.

I can remember sitting down to watch a choice Boston Habs match up because the Leafs were in Pittsburgh. The Pre-game from Montreal came on. Immediately afterward they switched the feed to Pittsburgh. This when the Leafs and Pittsburgh really stunk. My hatred of the Leafs was cemented forever.

Playoffs were worse. In SW Ont you were stuck watching the Leafs until they were eliminated. A somewhat sure thing, but a pain anyway. When Montreal made that great 7 to 5 comeback win over the Bruins in '71, the Leafs losing their series was all you could watch. That meant listening to the Habs game on WBZ Boston. radio was a way of life.

here we are 40 years later. Leafs still getting all the coverage, particularly High Definition (which really pi$$es me off). Montreal is playing an exciting game against Buffalo and we are stuck with Leafs in Detroit. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Thank goodness for the Centre Ice Pack. You have to put up with homer feed from the vistors, but at least it is TV instead of radio

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
  #70
SheldonJPlankton
Registered User
 
SheldonJPlankton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan14741 View Post
However, I refuse to watch the CBC anymore, not because of a lack of Habs games, but because of a significant degree of bias inherent in their broadcasts. Whenever I watch a Leafs-Habs game, it feels as though I am listening to and watching a regional broadcast instead of a national one.
Spot on, my friend.

No matter who the Leafs are playing, virtually all coverage on HNIC during a Toronto game is full of nothing but sycophantic Leaf drivel. Why would any fan of any team playing against the Leafs watch HNIC if he had a choice to tune into any other feed?

SheldonJPlankton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:05 PM
  #71
Tachycineta
Moderator
 
Tachycineta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 4,623
vCash: 500
I am confused. So, some Saturdays, CBC does not broadcast Habs games in the MTL area? I live in the Toronto area but am so sick of constant Leafs games every Saturday. I understand if it is a regional thing but if everyone (Mtl area inclusive) is forced to watch Leafs games even if a team such as the Habs are playing the same night, I strongly disagree with this. It seems like we get a variety of western games in the TO area (has been a little Canucks heavy but next yr, there will be more Flames and Oilers coverage). And, it does not seem right that the Leafs play every Saturday night all season long (for coverage reasons I assume) when the Sens do not. But, since it is a national station, it should be more balanced between the three eastern clubs and local stations can be regional biased all they want.

__________________
2009-2010 Slugs-Playoffs! Go, Sabres!

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!

Last edited by Tachycineta: 12-14-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:20 PM
  #72
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,892
vCash: 500
What will HNIC do when the Leafs miss the playoffs for the second consecutive season? Toronto's chances are as thin as a Razor cut (pun intended).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:28 PM
  #73
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,862
vCash: 500
I've been thinking about this.

Until the late 70's cbc english used to show a roughly 50/50 split between Habs/Leafs game. The Habs even had their own commentators.

With the advent of cable TV nationally, and the consequent availability of cbc french station Habs coverage of games every Saturday, and throughout the week as well, cbc english compensated for the disparity in coverage by focusing on the Leafs, which was fair enough. They also initiated coverage of the late games out west. Here in New Brunswick we get a double-header every Saturday night, the 2nd game being from western Canada.

The problem has arisen this year because the french cbc is no longer broadcasting games to english dominant areas. IMO, the english cbc networks need to adapt to this disparity by providing Habs games on an equal basis relative to the other Canadian teams. I hope that they will adapt, because if they do not, future generations of Canadian kids will not be given the opportunity to choose to root for the Habs.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:33 AM
  #74
Sherman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
The petition was featured in Pat Hickey's column in yesterday's
Montreal Gazette; check it out:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...b-580213a81e5f

as a result? total signatures jumped from 200 to 1700...also, if you haven't signed already, please do so; it's amazing how
Canadians from across the country are united in signing this. It has now crossed the 1700-signature mark and counting, but we'll need a lot more for CBC to take this seriously, so please spread the word, email your co-workers, friends, and any Canadian taxpayer.

http://************************/habshnic/petition.html

Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
  #75
Thibaj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
It is, at least for people in Quebec watching CBC Montreal. As someone outside of Quebec, either you get a service (i.e. satellite) that carries CBC Montreal's signal, or you pester CBC to show Habs games on CBC Halifax.

There is also improvement regionally for Ottawa, from what I've seen; it looks like Ottawa's getting more games on Saturday nights than they used to.
Well, check this week HNIC lineup:

"New York visits Toronto at 7 pm ET. Available in the Ottawa area, Buffalo battles Ottawa at 7pm ET. In the Quebec/Atlantic region (except Nfld. and Labrador), Pittsburg takes on Montreal at 7pm ET. Minnesota plays Vancouver at 10pm ET."

The Leafs are in HD, all the other games are Wide Screen. So no RDS for me tomorrow...

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.