HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Croce: What if?

Old
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 1695
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Pat Croce: What if?

When I lived in Delaware County a few years ago, I remember hearing that Pat Croce basically asked Ed Snider for his job (oversight of all things Flyers and Sixers related). Ed totally laughed him off, Croce ended up on NBC doing NBA games, the rest is history. Croce is probably pretty well-off these days, enjoying whatever it is he likes to do with lots of free time.

In the mean time, the Sixers are about to trade away Allen Iverson for $.30 on the dollar, and the Flyers are in shambles.

What if Snider had given Croce the reins? Would the Flyers and Sixers be so terrible right now if he had? Would they be worse?

This is all purely hypothetical. I know there was no way it was ever going to happen.

Ar-too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
I firmly believe that anything Croce touches turns to gold.

The guy is just a tremendous leader.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 04:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Pat Croce made people accountable when he was here.

People aren't made accountable anymore.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Pat Croce made people accountable when he was here.

People aren't made accountable anymore.
well... he had NOTHING to do with running the Flyers... so if you're basing this on the Sixers, so be it. however, nothing he did had any effect on any of the things that happened with the Flyers during his time with the "organization."

he hired a great coach, who also happens to be a friggin mercenary who turned the organization around... then promptly stepped down. go him. he's a good guy and a good motivator, but happening to be in a position to hire Larry Brown doesn't make you some genius... nor does it mean you're making people accountable.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:09 PM
John Flyers Fan

I can't stand Croce ... and he's one of the biggest reasons wh the Iverson situatuin currently exists.

He is a great promoter, and had a lot to do with the 76ers filling the building, but next to nothing to do with the product on the court.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:29 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I can't stand Croce ... and he's one of the biggest reasons wh the Iverson situatuin currently exists.

He is a great promoter, and had a lot to do with the 76ers filling the building, but next to nothing to do with the product on the court.
Amen.

Croce is a salesman. Period.

Besides, lookum: the Flyers are in a downturn. It happens. I can think of maybe four teams it hasn't happened to lately.

Ottawa is on a nice seven year run.

Detroit is on a FIFTEEN YEAR run, perhaps THE most successful sports franchise during that span.

Dallas and Colorado have it figured out.

The Devils.

That's it.

Who was the coach the last time the Flyers missed the playoffs?

I think if you can't remember you have to acknowledge that it wouldn't be unusaul for the Flyers to suffer a downturn right about now.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Amen.

Croce is a salesman. Period.

Besides, lookum: the Flyers are in a downturn. It happens. I can think of maybe four teams it hasn't happened to lately.

Ottawa is on a nice seven year run.

Detroit is on a FIFTEEN YEAR run, perhaps THE most successful sports franchise during that span.

Dallas and Colorado have it figured out.

The Devils.

That's it.

Who was the coach the last time the Flyers missed the playoffs?

I think if you can't remember you have to acknowledge that it wouldn't be unusaul for the Flyers to suffer a downturn right about now.
Easy. None other then our current GM

Well, and then Bill Dineen and Terry Simpson.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

That's because he made Iverson and Larry Brown get along when in reality Iverson didn't hated Larry Brown.

I'm not saying it is a direct result, but the Sixers were terrible before and after Pat Croce was around. I don't think that's completely by coincidence...

Old
12-13-2006, 03:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
That's because he made Iverson and Larry Brown get along when in reality Iverson didn't hated Larry Brown.

I'm not saying it is a direct result, but the Sixers were terrible before and after Pat Croce was around. I don't think that's completely by coincidence...
Sixers were terrible before Larry Brown showed up and terrible after Billy King started screwing up everything he did.

there's your reason.

very little to do with anything that Pat Croce was up to... if that's your view of accountability, so be it. however, Croce hired Billy King, yes?

Croce is nothing special and thank god he was never put in charge of the Flyers.

Old
12-13-2006, 05:24 AM
panayiotis

get serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
When I lived in Delaware County a few years ago, I remember hearing that Pat Croce basically asked Ed Snider for his job (oversight of all things Flyers and Sixers related). Ed totally laughed him off, Croce ended up on NBC doing NBA games, the rest is history. Croce is probably pretty well-off these days, enjoying whatever it is he likes to do with lots of free time.

In the mean time, the Sixers are about to trade away Allen Iverson for $.30 on the dollar, and the Flyers are in shambles.

What if Snider had given Croce the reins? Would the Flyers and Sixers be so terrible right now if he had? Would they be worse?

This is all purely hypothetical. I know there was no way it was ever going to happen.
old ed fired him on the spot.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sixers were terrible before Larry Brown showed up and terrible after Billy King started screwing up everything he did.

there's your reason.

very little to do with anything that Pat Croce was up to... if that's your view of accountability, so be it. however, Croce hired Billy King, yes?

Croce is nothing special and thank god he was never put in charge of the Flyers.
The Sixers were terrible the 2 years after Pat Croce left and Larry Brown was here. They just weren't this bad.

Old
12-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
The Sixers were terrible the 2 years after Pat Croce left and Larry Brown was here. They just weren't this bad.
they had 48 wins in '03... that's not terrible.

Old
12-13-2006, 07:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
they had 48 wins in '03... that's not terrible.
That's because the East was terrible. There was only 2 teams that were any good playing in the east: New Jersey and Detroit. And the Sixers got smoked by Detroit.

Old
12-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
That's because the East was terrible. There was only 2 teams that were any good playing in the east: New Jersey and Detroit. And the Sixers got smoked by Detroit.
oh come on!

you said they were terrible... they won 48 games... you can't come back with "but the league was bad." you play who is in front of you... if they were 'terrible' as you contest after Croce left, they would have lost a lot more than they won.

Old
12-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:

there's your reason.

Right... because things would be so much worse than they are now. Croce knows how to pick good people and motivate them. The bottom line is - good people want to work for him. And just about everything he has been involved in has succeeded.

If nothing else he'd be a better pt than McCrossin...

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 12-13-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post

He was the trainer during the 80's and we were always hurt then as well. In fact if we've ever been in worse shape then we are currently it's when Croce was the trainer during the 80's.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Right... because things would be so much worse than they are now. Croce knows how to pick good people and motivate them. The bottom line is - good people want to work for him. And just about everything he has been involved in has succeeded.

please don't act like hiring Larry Brown was some genius move... it was an obvious one.

Old
12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Ar-too

Quote:
please don't act like hiring Larry Brown was some genius move... it was an obvious one.
Yes, but Iverson + Brown only worked with Croce there. Things may have deteriorated eventually regardless, but there's no doubt that Croce's departure accelerated matters. He was able to get them together in a way that noone else was.

Old
12-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Yes, but Iverson + Brown only worked with Croce there. Things may have deteriorated eventually regardless, but there's no doubt that Croce's departure accelerated matters. He was able to get them together in a way that noone else was.
i think it had more to do with the fact that Larry Brown just stopped caring... his track record isn't exactly one of maintaining ties.

Old
12-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Ar-too

Quote:
i think it had more to do with the fact that Larry Brown just stopped caring... his track record isn't exactly one of maintaining ties.
True, but he was with the Sixers for what, 5 years? That's as long as he stayed anywhere else (that I can remember off the top of my head anyways).