HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leopold Updates (merged)

Old
12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
A poke check ?? Let's trade our barren cupboards !!!

Brewer is a guy with a lot of potential that has never been able to put it all together as of yet for any signigicant length of time. If you're gonna make a trade for a good top 4 d-man, you better make sure you get the right guy, imo.
Precisely. Brewer has shown at points that he can be a decent top-4 guy, however he has never been consistent enough to actually become an impact player. The only reason he's even gotten to the Olympics was because he had people on the inside pushing for him as the extra man.

Now that Ryan Craig on the other hand...

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:10 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
He did make one nice poke check on (I believe) Sakic while Joe was on a rush. Invisible otherwise.
I thought he played fine.

Defensive defensemen are supposed to be invisible - that means they were successful.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:16 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent of the Cleric View Post
Precisely. Brewer has shown at points that he can be a decent top-4 guy, however he has never been consistent enough to actually become an impact player. The only reason he's even gotten to the Olympics was because he had people on the inside pushing for him as the extra man.

Now that Ryan Craig on the other hand...
World Cup he was great with Footer too.

As for his performance last night, how many other Blues defenseman blew your mind away? When you team sucks and the opponent has the puck almost all night and gets 45 shots at your goal you're going to look bad.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:48 PM
chiavsfan

Seriously dude, give it up. You are either him, and are trying a very pathetic route to get a trade, or you are some kid with an incessant amount of man-love for Brewer, and you really need to seek some kind of therapy

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
World Cup he was great with Footer too.

As for his performance last night, how many other Blues defenseman blew your mind away? When you team sucks and the opponent has the puck almost all night and gets 45 shots at your goal you're going to look bad.
Well, if Brewer was as good as you think, we wouldn't have had 45 shots on goal. Isn't that his job -- to prevent shots on goal?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:44 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Well, if Brewer was as good as you think, we wouldn't have had 45 shots on goal. Isn't that his job -- to prevent shots on goal?
That's not really fair. St. Louis' team stinks, and two of their top dmen are out. Brewer is almost by himself out there, and all of those shots cannot be attributed to him. When Robyn Regehr was playing for lousy Calgary teams from '99-02, was he not a good player because the team was lousy?

Brewer's a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. There's nothing wrong with that, or him. He is not Scott Hannan, Zdeno Chara, etc. But, I'd take him defensively over Clark, Liles and/or Brisebrois any day. Probably Vaananen, too - though that point is arguable.

-AB

Old
12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
That's not really fair. St. Louis' team stinks, and two of their top dmen are out. Brewer is almost by himself out there, and all of those shots cannot be attributed to him. When Robyn Regehr was playing for lousy Calgary teams from '99-02, was he not a good player because the team was lousy?

Brewer's a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. There's nothing wrong with that, or him. He is not Scott Hannan, Zdeno Chara, etc. But, I'd take him defensively over Clark, Liles and/or Brisebrois any day. Probably Vaananen, too - though that point is arguable.

-AB
Clark, Liles, and Brisebois are all offensive-minded defensemen, so that comparison isn't really fair, either. It would be more valid to compare him to Vaananen, Klee, or Skrastins. Vaananen has been playing better hockey this year, Klee has been reasonably solid, and Skrastins...well, hopefully he'll get it together. But nobody is praising any of those three as being an All-Star defensive-minded defenseman. We accept that they have short-comings. I don't have anything against Brewer, but he's not the godsend that NOTENOUGHBREWER makes him out to be. If St Louis wants to trade Brewer for Brisebois, I'll pay for the phone call.

Old
12-14-2006, 05:44 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

so what's the word on Leopold. any updates?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:52 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Clark, Liles, and Brisebois are all offensive-minded defensemen, so that comparison isn't really fair, either. It would be more valid to compare him to Vaananen, Klee, or Skrastins. Vaananen has been playing better hockey this year, Klee has been reasonably solid, and Skrastins...well, hopefully he'll get it together. But nobody is praising any of those three as being an All-Star defensive-minded defenseman. We accept that they have short-comings. I don't have anything against Brewer, but he's not the godsend that NOTENOUGHBREWER makes him out to be. If St Louis wants to trade Brewer for Brisebois, I'll pay for the phone call.
Brewer isnt exactly a slouch offensively either. Unlike Brisbois at least Brewer isnt colour blind and sends it towards an Avs sweater. Sitting Brisbois would mean way fewer giveaways meaning less good scoring chances for the opponents, it would give the Avs another physical defenseman who can make things harder for opposing forwards taking more pressure off Theodore. I'm not trying to say he's the best defenseman in the league, but he's a perfect fit for the Avs since he could bring almost everything they are lackign.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
Actually Regehr was pretty lousy back then. He wasn't aggressive at all, and was pretty much a cardboard cut out of his current self.

Robyn Regehr didn't really develop into a standout defenseman until Sutter basically challenged him to be one. Now he's aggressive and hard hitting. I think once a defenseman realizes what they can do at a certain level they begin to play much looser and with a lot more confidence.

I've noticed it with Vaananen this season, ever since he seemingly had his chains loosened and was allowed to go and hit people he's been a totally different player for us.

On to the Brewer topic. I just don't think Brewer is that good. He's incosistent and especially following his time in Edmonton had a ton of mental blunders.

If he comes cheap I'd probably welcome him with open arms, but someone with that much "potential" usually doesn't come anywhere close to cheap.

I'd also look to target the Markov's, Hannan and Chris Phillips over Brewer at this point. However who knows. We all dreaded the signing of Arnason but I think he's slowly wedged a spot in most Avs fans hearts so far this season.

Old
12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

does nobody know what is wrong with Leopold??

is it serious?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
does nobody know what is wrong with Leopold??

is it serious?
When there's some actual news, Jori will post it. Seconds before it actually hits the newswire. Then there'll be a new post in here, and you can excitedly check this thread, like I just did, except you will get actual information instead of someone re-asking the same question.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
When there's some actual news, Jori will post it. Seconds before it actually hits the newswire. Then there'll be a new post in here, and you can excitedly check this thread, like I just did, except you will get actual information instead of someone re-asking the same question.

Old
12-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Then again, maybe there WON'T be any useful info, and you'll have gotten excited for nothing...

Old
12-15-2006, 05:34 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Are you saying that Leopold is laughing and clapping? I can't tell Jori!! JORI?!!! NOOO!!!

...I mean...

Last edited by SoundwaveIsCharisma: 12-15-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old
12-15-2006, 07:18 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Actually Regehr was pretty lousy back then. He wasn't aggressive at all, and was pretty much a cardboard cut out of his current self.

Robyn Regehr didn't really develop into a standout defenseman until Sutter basically challenged him to be one. Now he's aggressive and hard hitting. I think once a defenseman realizes what they can do at a certain level they begin to play much looser and with a lot more confidence.
That's fair enough, but my point is - is it really fair to judge a defensive defenseman who plays on an obviously crappy defensive team, based upon team totals like SOG and +/-?

Brewer is a decent 2nd pairing guy, IMO. In the old NHL, he looked like a decent 1st pairing guy, but he's most certainly not a lousy player, and with the exception of Ken Klee, is probably equal to what any of our defensemen have shown defensively so far this season.

-AB

Old
12-16-2006, 03:28 PM
12# Peter Bondra

A thread which shows how great Brewer has been for the Blues

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...60#post7376760

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Kroz

I'd say 2 to 1 hes done for the season and is gonna need to start rehabbing for next due to his hernia again..

Kroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 12:47 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroz View Post
I'd say 2 to 1 hes done for the season and is gonna need to start rehabbing for next due to his hernia again..
With our luck it's quite probable. However this does bring up another point. Does this lessen Leopold's monetary demands? Could the Avs sign him long term for a much cheaper price?

I don't think I'd feel so bad with him rehabbing if the Avs managed to sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract for 2 million or something. Would make me giddy as a school girl.

Old
12-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
With our luck it's quite probable. However this does bring up another point. Does this lessen Leopold's monetary demands? Could the Avs sign him long term for a much cheaper price?

I don't think I'd feel so bad with him rehabbing if the Avs managed to sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract for 2 million or something. Would make me giddy as a school girl.
You're right , i think that would give the Avs the hupper hand.I'm still hoping that Leo wont be away for a long period

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:48 PM
jerrygraf

Leopold

Out at least a month.
AD

jerrygraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

1) Use the existing thread.

2) Provide a link.

Old
12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygraf View Post
Out at least a month.
AD
If Turgeon = , then Leopold = .

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Jori

I'll merge this with the other thread.

Thanks AD.

I have to admit...I'm relieved...I thought it was season ending.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Jori

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
If Turgeon = , then Leopold = .
We need a toothless smilie for Stastny

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote