HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is It A Coincidence?

Old
12-12-2006, 11:04 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Is It A Coincidence?

That since Kaspar has been back in the lineup, the Rangers have given up 5 goals in 4 games? Not that he's playing at a Norris Trophy level but he seems to have invigorated the team defense. Feels a lot more like last year now.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:13 AM
rickyrod

Is it Kaspar being in, or Ozo being out?

Because the Ozo/Rachunek pairing was a disgrace tonight, it's lucky we were forechecking decently and that the Flyers were basically an AHL team out there.
The Kaspar/Rachunek pairing isn't so brutal, or it hasn't been in the last few games.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:38 AM
BigE

Goaltending might have a little something to do with it.

Man, I can't believe it's already been 4 games since we got thrashed by the Islanders...

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:42 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Is It A Coincidence?
Yes, yes it is. Kaspar has sucked.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 01:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Kasper is Good for the chemistry on the D....THE TEAM OVERALL HAS PICKED UP THE D

Even el Capitan has been caught backchecking

12-13-2006, 04:01 AM
WheresBarnaby

coincedence? No

It's a combo of everything mentioned.

1.Kaspar's been solid since he came back, provide that physical element, while staying out of the box.
2. Ozo and Rachenuk have seen less ice time
3. The king is back, and Prince Kevin is playing damn good himself.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Kasper is Good for the chemistry on the D....THE TEAM OVERALL HAS PICKED UP THE D

Even el Capitan has been caught backchecking

I also vote for the intangible Kaspar element. The team was a mess when he was out with injury last year too.

That said, Ozo and Rachunek reunited and it DIDN'T feel so good last night. Breaking these 2 up was a definite improvement.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
bathgate

Its addition by subtraction. Ozo is a terrible defensive defenseman. He is continually out of position. Lucky last night the team played a bunch of AHL types. Ozo made Rachunek look worse than he is. Kaspar hasn't been great but he has not been a liability

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Fletch

It's actually not a coincidence...

but he's not totally responsible. The third defense pairing, which has given up more than its fair share of goals, has improved, which has helped the GAA. At the same time, the goaltenders, who for a few games were facing a lot of shots, including quality shots, have been sharper. Couple that with Jagr's line controlling a bit of the play again and the emergence of Rozsival of late, and you have a lower GAA.

It's not a coincidence, but it's also not the sole reason.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Melrose_Jr.

So does Kaspar stick with Tyutin when Ward comes back? Ward/Rachunek might be good for Karel.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
trench23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
but he's not totally responsible. The third defense pairing, which has given up more than its fair share of goals, has improved, which has helped the GAA. At the same time, the goaltenders, who for a few games were facing a lot of shots, including quality shots, have been sharper. Couple that with Jagr's line controlling a bit of the play again and the emergence of Rozsival of late, and you have a lower GAA.

Add all that with consistant team backchecking and fowards paying attention to detail in the defensive zone, and there are your reasons. And it is nice to have Kaspar back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.bleeckerandsullivan.com

trench23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
So does Kaspar stick with Tyutin when Ward comes back? Ward/Rachunek might be good for Karel.
No. IMO I do not like to right handed defensemen playing together. Go back to Tyutin with Ward

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:44 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Kaspar had a very nice block last night, and seems to be positioning himself very well out there.

But the goaltending, skating and the forwards helping out (to me the major thing) is whats doing the job these past 4 games.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
No thanks. I'd rather see Tyutin & Ward back together again.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Prince Kevin is playing damn good himself.
Prince Kevin, I like that..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:15 AM
BigE

Quote:
That's a tough call, because in recent games Tyutin and Ward haven't looked spectacular. However, I think I'd stay with Ward and Tyutin and Kaspar and Rachunek.

Someone mentioned in the GDT thread, and I happen to agree with them that Karel is a much better defenseman when he's not playing with Ozo. It's as if he gets running around acting as if he's the only defenseman out there (kind of true, really). So, I think Kaspar and Karel are fine.

Plus Tyutin likes to take those big swinging hip checks now. I'm not sure you need two guys on a pairing that like to kill opponents. You're bound to give up far too many odd-mans that way.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

right on, fletch. The D is doing a good job of keeping traffic away from the front of the net. Lundqvist and Weekes are seeing the puck all the way through and not having to duck and lean through big bodies to keep it in sight.

Less net traffic + less deflections = less goals.

That's something the NYR D has going for itself lately

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:28 AM
XploD

Definitely not the only reason but I think he brings a lot more than just his game to the defense which he showed us last season. When he was out with injury the last few weeks our defense was brutal.

I also agree with Polako, the key to the improvement on defense lately has been the clearing of the crease and Kaspar has done a very good job of doing that. That and the backchecking of the forwards have been what's getting it done for us lately.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 12:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think it is a coincidence. The PK has been good (and the Rangers have been better at not taking bad penalties). The goaltending has been good. And they really haven't played good teams. The Panthers are mediocre, the Flyers are young and dilapidated and the Sens are inconsistent.

12-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Tuxman

i feel better when kaspar's on the ice and not bozo

Tuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I guess I should answer my own question. I don't think it is a coincidence. I think that Kaspar is playing sound simple hockey and that's going to help any team. Getting Ozo out of the lineup is certainly a big side benefit but what I've also noticed lately is that the forwards are doing a much better job of backchecking and making smart first passes out of the zone. Someone correctly mentioned Jagr backchecking last night. Immonen is responsible defensively. Shanahan for all his goals, was a -7 until a week ago. I think that Kaspar has settled the defense down, not so much as a cornerstone player but as a nice complimentary part who just happens to be an unquestioned team leader. I believe he is in the lineup to stay.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxman View Post
i feel better when kaspar's on the ice and not bozo
I do not. I'd take Ozo over Kaspar any time. D without a shot is just a waste of space and money. He cannot play dirty anymore, so he has no value whatsoever.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Tuxman

i disagree. from what we've seen so far kasper has much more value than bozo. bozo brings nothing, he's offensive play has disappeared

Tuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I do not. I'd take Ozo over Kaspar any time. D without a shot is just a waste of space and money. He cannot play dirty anymore, so he has no value whatsoever.
Have you been watching any games this season?

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 04:28 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
It's mostly a coincidence. Although I think the team is definitely better with Ozo out of the lineup than in it. You just can't have Ozolinsh and Rachunek together as a pairing. One guy is recovering from surgery, had no training camp and seems to have lost most of his offensive talent and confidence. The other spent the last two years in Russia before returning to a league that has changed since the last time he played in it in 2003-2004. Rachunek even said in between periods of the last game that it has been a difficult adjustment for him learning the new rules. Plus these guys get PK time! At least Kaspar still plays defense reasonably well.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote