HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Abby tonight

Old
12-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Bryzga lol*

vCash: 500
Abby the other night vs. Boston

He played solid. Good enough for the win.

But I'm creating this thread because I noticed something about his play tonight. Maybe I didn't see him play enough this year, but he really reminded me of Huet. His lateral movement seemed really similar to Huet's.

He also seemed calm. Like everytime he redirected a rebound and went to his knees, he took his time to get back up, something Huet's known for.

Is it just me or did they always seem this similar? Is Melanson teaching them this? Maybe I'm crazy.

Last edited by Bryzga lol*: 12-14-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:17 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I find that Abby flops around a lot more.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:32 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
I agree, but he didn't have his usual amount of floppiness in his game last night. He was also much more on top of and in control of his rebounds last night; something he hasn't been great at this season.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Artie

hmmmmm, you guys wouldn't be trying to write a book on Abby would you?

nah that would be nonsense

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Avant-Gardien

My only criticism of Abby was on that third goal where he was caught playing deep in his crease and didn't fight to see through his screen. Other than that, this is the best we've seen from him this year.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Habitants

good game by him, he kept us in there! i think the last goal might have been tipped, but he was double screened, so i wont complain too much.

if he is looking like huet, it is probably because of melanson, both goalies get his coaching, so he is probably teaching them similar "solid" technique.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
good game by him, he kept us in there! i think the last goal might have been tipped, but he was double screened, so i wont complain too much.

if he is looking like huet, it is probably because of melanson, both goalies get his coaching, so he is probably teaching them similar "solid" technique.
He was screened on the 1st goal too and he had absolutely no chance on the 2nd goal. I think this is the first game of his this year where he didn't let in an absolute stinker (or 3)

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
He was screened on the 1st goal too and he had absolutely no chance on the 2nd goal. I think this is the first game of his this year where he didn't let in an absolute stinker (or 3)

He wasnt screened on the first, he was down for no reason because he EXPECTED the shot to come from Bergeron, once the pass was made, he was cooked!

2nd goal, he did have a chance, he was way to deep in the crease, I know with a guy like Savard in that close its not easy to make the save but to say Abby had no chance is false.

3rd goal, 2 screens (one was chara) and a tip, I dont see how anyone can blame him, although he was a little deep in his net.

all in all he played well and didnt look nervous which is something that has been bothering him for the last month.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
2nd goal, he did have a chance, he was way to deep in the crease, I know with a guy like Savard in that close its not easy to make the save but to say Abby had no chance is false.
Usually that's where a goalie will be when he's expecting his forwards to move it up the ice on a routine play...not cough it up to the opposition (although I won't say he had NO chance since Emery made a pretty similar save last night on a Red Wings player).

Aebischer does flop around a bit but he also moves quicker than Huet, at least to get back to his feet. In the third when he was making snow angels in the crease and the puck went behind his net, he was up again in a flash.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Usually that's where a goalie will be when he's expecting his forwards to move it up the ice on a routine play...not cough it up to the opposition (although I won't say he had NO chance since Emery made a pretty similar save last night on a Red Wings player).
thats the problem with goalies...they THINK to much.

as a goalie you have to react right away, not think.. if the puck is still in ur zone, no matter who has it, you should be ready and in position following the play because if not Kovalev loses the puck and savard puts it in

Old
12-13-2006, 10:59 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
That could be true too, but I'm no goalie and Aebischer's got quite a bit more experience than me so I think I'll let him call the shots instead

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That could be true too, but I'm no goalie and Aebischer's got quite a bit more experience than me so I think I'll let him call the shots instead

Im a goalie coach, and its that which gets me ticked off the most, my goalies that dont follow the play, especially when its in our zone.

Old
12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post

This is why I like Huet’s style of play over Abby’s. Huet is very calm in the net. Abby gets himself out of position far to much IMO. I think the D feeds off of Huets calm demeanor.
No doubt Abby can come up with some big saves, but Huet is the better goalie (stating the obvious).

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Ford Prefect

Maybe I got a different perspective from watching the Boston feed, but I thought aeby played subpar last night. He wasn't exploited because in general we played a good defensive game. Had the Bruins played a better game of getting to the net instead of playing a perimeter game, the result could have been different. He was giving up some sick rebounds and was only lucky that the bears were in no position to capitalize. When he was left to himself (On Savard's second goal and the EN goal with Chara in front), he really didn't fair well. And from the begining of the first he really seemed to be fighting the puck. I wasn't impressed with him at all last night.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant-Gardien View Post
My only criticism of Abby was on that third goal where he was caught playing deep in his crease and didn't fight to see through his screen. Other than that, this is the best we've seen from him this year.
On the third goal he was pretty much at the top of his crease being double screened. The only way he could have come any farther out would have been to move around the two players in front of him then a quick pass would have made for an empty net goal and everyone would be on his back for being out of position and letting in a bad goal.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'm not a big fan of Abby's at all but I thought he was playing great early in the season. Right now he scares the crap out of me. I thought he has been better of late but I still have little confidence in him, up from the no confidence I had in him last year. But Huet can't play them all.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:

as a goalie you have to react right away, not think.. if the puck is still in ur zone, no matter who has it, you should be ready and in position following the play because if not Kovalev loses the puck and savard puts it in
I'm a goalie and the thing I've picked up over the years from personal experience as well as coaches is follow the puck. If all your attention is on the puck and your're lined up on the puck, you have a much better chance of stopping it. Too often I see goalies lining up with the player instead of the puck and the next thing you know the puck is in the net. I know you're a goalie coach Jaydee96. What do you think are the top three things a goalie should do? IMO, they are focus on the puck, react to the shot without thinking and do not allow big rebounds. All you other posters, please forgive me trying to pick up a few more pointers from another coach.

Old
12-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Teufelsdreck

Like Montreal, I don't have a world of confidence in Aebischer. Even his best games aren't masterpieces. In a previous post I said that Carbonneau would regret it if he started him 30 times. I saw the NESN feed and the Boston broadcasters thought that the Bruins were taking too many peripheral shots and also that Aebischer was lucky there was no one around to take advantage of gaping nets he left them.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:

Definetly. The more you relax and the less you think, the better you play.

There's a Ken Dryden quote I really like... it helped me a lot with goaltending.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie the biggest enemy is himself. Not a puck, not an opponent, not a quirk of size or style. Him. The stress and anxiety he feels when he plays, the fear of failing, the fear of being embarrassed, the fear of being physically hurt, all the symptoms of his position, in constant ebb and flow, but never disappearing. The successful goalie understands these neuroses, accepts them, and puts them under control. The unsuccessful goalie is distracted by them, his mind in knots, his body quickly following.

-Ken Dryden

Old
12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
canadian_man_44

My favorite Dryden quote is something along the lines of "if the puck gets to the goalie there have already been five mistakes made." LOL

Old
12-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Aebischer is incapable of playing the way Huet did against Tampa Bay.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Aebischer is incapable of playing the way Huet did against Tampa Bay.
I agree 100% ...if he did it would be the best game of his career

Old
12-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Alexei Yashvalev

How about when Switzerland beat the Czech Republic 3-2 and Aebischer stopped 45 shots? Remember the Olympics? Hurrrrrrrr

And I think the Czech National Team is better than Tampa Bay.

Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:20 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
i blame abby for the win tonite

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Alexei Yashvalev

Oh I agree DAMN YOU AEBISCHER STOP RUINING MONTREAL.

Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote