HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does the D look like when it's healthy?

Old
01-10-2007, 11:40 AM
X0ssbar

vCash: 500
Yeah...OK and AJ are as far away from being 'journeymen' on this team as anyone. In fact I think OK and AJ are playing some of the best hockey right now amongst our dmen. I'd love to see their ice time increase in fact.

Klesla is really finally becoming a horse back there. Would like to see him shoot more but then again our O doesn't find him very often on the point for the big cannon -- including winning key faceoffs in the offsenive zone which we hardly ever seem to do

I think Westcott has regressed this year. Foote has come on of late and is playing that physical style he needs to play to be effective. Hainsey is about as on and off again a dman as I've ever seen. Eriksson just needs to go (or get scratched) to make room for the kids.

At this point I'm even interested to see what Berard can add to this team - especially on the PP. That is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of his.

All the D need to be better at transition....no hesitation, quick tape to tape passes.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Can't argue with a thing you've said, Robert. Quibble a bit, though, perhaps. AJ and OKT are not experienced enough to be "journeymen" - they are youngsters gaining the experience needed to develop. As 5 and 6 guys, we want to see them get playing time and protect them with more complete and experienced players. That is the only reason I can think of to have Bubba on this team. Not that he is complete, but he is experienced! As for Foote and "aging," in today's paper he cites Chelios' age and calls himself "a pup"! I think that means that he in no way feels close to the end of his career and the only question should be: can we sign him for a reasonable amount after next year? Klesla is coming into his own, penalties and all, and Duvie is servicable. Hainsey is the big disappointment to me, this year. Berard is a total unknown and cannot be counted on for anything - a contribution from him will be an unexpected bonus. I agree with you that we need more solid play on the backline and I can only see it coming from the off-season free agent market.

I really don't know where you guys are coming from with these opinions. I really can't see how you guys think that Foote has been "solid". There comes a time where we have to lose our bias towards veterans and guys we love to love. AJ has been solid when he has been on the ice. Eriksson is not a two way player, but that has been made up with his play in our zone, what with saving probable goals and disrupting the opposition when they skate into the zone. Clearly you guys are looking simply at last nights game alone when you make your comments on Hainsey. He made 1 timely TO which lead to the game tieing goal and all of a sudden he's on your ****list. Apparently leading the team in goals and assists, combined with a very small salary is extremely disappointing to you. He's the only guy on D who can bring it up the point and create some offense, along with strong play on the PK and PP.

Again I've made posts like this in the past and I still can't seem to comprehend where a lot of these hate spewing remarks come from.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Hainsey's problem (along with many others on this team) is his consistency. He is either playing well or horribly, there doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground there.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
CBJSlash

What I see next year is

Klesla - Foote
AJ - Westcott
??? -Tollefson.

Hainsey plays good at times, but is it consistent enough to by a regular?

??? could be our big pickup of the offseason. Juggle the pairs, but they will all be on the team.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Pluckfur

this would be a better thread if our D had even once been "healthy" this season.

As to Hainsey... his future on this team is really up to him. I figure he has about another month to prove his worth (or lack thereof) to this team.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
this would be a better thread if our D had even once been "healthy" this season.

As to Hainsey... his future on this team is really up to him. I figure he has about another month to prove his worth (or lack thereof) to this team.
Few teams have a healthy anything all season long.....we have 7 defenseman who have been playing all year long, two, Eriksson and Hainsey are both replaceable. Put two top D-men in their in their place, get a second starting goalie to play with injury prone Leclaire and our defense will be playoff caliber.......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Few teams have a healthy anything all season long.....we have 7 defenseman who have been playing all year long, two, Eriksson and Hainsey are both replaceable. Put two top D-men in their in their place, get a second starting goalie to play with injury prone Leclaire and our defense will be playoff caliber.......
I concur completely with the content and tenor of that post, Robert. Your scenario seems ideal to me. Berard is gone, Eriksson 5/6 at best, and Hainsey? no doubt about his ability to skate ... but I just don't know if he can keep his head in the game. Only Hainsey can put that question to rest.

Old
01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I concur completely with the content and tenor of that post, Robert.
You can't be serious.....I'll have to bronze that response

Old
01-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Pluckfur

sometimes you go a little wacky/Nostradamus on me ... but I almost always enjoy your posts ANYWAY, Robear

Old
01-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post
Maybe he sprained his talent.
Hahaha i love it.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:33 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
What I see next year is

Klesla - Foote
AJ - Westcott
??? -Tollefson.

Hainsey plays good at times, but is it consistent enough to by a regular?

??? could be our big pickup of the offseason. Juggle the pairs, but they will all be on the team.
Hainsey-hate is so unfashionable
Except for that stupid turnover last night, he's a balls-out Dman who can actually skate the puck up ice and pass.

AJ had a slow start and lacks a little bit of size. Like to take a "weight and see" position on him before I put him on the 2007 roster. Nice personality though.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Hainsey-hate is so unfashionable
Except for that stupid turnover last night, he's a balls-out Dman who can actually skate the puck up ice and pass.
I'll give you the skate part but this guy needs a lot of work on his passing.

I'm on the fence with him -- some games I love the guy (like when he kept those two clearing attempts in the zone at the end of the Boston game which was key to our victory) and other times I drives me nuts like last night and when he constantly dumps the puck in - his on ice vision stinks if you ask me.

Dude can jaw with the best of em out there though and he drops more f-bombs than Dennis Leary...that counts for somethin in my book

Old
01-10-2007, 08:04 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post

I'm on the fence with him -- some games I love the guy (like when he kept those two clearing attempts in the zone at the end of the Boston game which was key to our victory) and other times I drives me nuts like last night and when he constantly dumps the puck in - his on ice vision stinks if you ask me.

Dude can jaw with the best of em out there though and he drops more f-bombs than Dennis Leary...that counts for somethin in my book
That was pretty cool last night. For the benefit of others, Hainsey was shouting at the referee several times last night.

Yes, he needs to get better at passing. But he's young, fast, big, and talented.
Look how far he's come already. Love his energy... more than Duvie "used to" have. Duvie looks old this year.

So what do you think about the loose glass/boards last night? We didn't talk about it during the game. I've never seem them rocking so much.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Casework

Quote:
I think Westcott has regressed this year.
And how unfortunate, because prior to his injury he was going to shatter his numbers from last year. Something happened to him when he got injured. Maybe he just didn't take it seriously enough or didn't train hard enough while he was hurt(pretty sure you can still skate with a broken finger), but this isn't the same Duvie that played in the first 10-11 games.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
And how unfortunate, because prior to his injury he was going to shatter his numbers from last year. Something happened to him when he got injured. Maybe he just didn't take it seriously enough or didn't train hard enough while he was hurt(pretty sure you can still skate with a broken finger), but this isn't the same Duvie that played in the first 10-11 games.
Yep..good point. He did look pretty good the first 10 or so games and hasn't looked the same since the injury.

JF - now that you bring it up...those boards did seem a little louder than usual...then again, maybe I didn't have enough to drink at the game..

Old
01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Yes, he needs to get better at passing. But he's young, fast, big, and talented. Look how far he's come already. Love his energy... more than Duvie "used to" have. Duvie looks old this year.
I understand the positiveness for Hainsey, and the whole roster for that matter but the fact of the matter is we are 28th in the NHL for some reason. Everyone can't be getting it done, if they were we would be in the playoffs. I'm not trying to argue but some reality for the possiblity that we have some players that must go cannot be ignored.

Old
01-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Mr Mac

The problem is not with our Defense, it's with our Offense.

Our Offense couldn't score often enough or control the puck long enough to give our Defense a break. Failing Offense which failed to keep teams close put added pressure on the D.

How many odd man rushes have we seen this year? That's the Offense not getting back. And that's our Defense pushing up too far to try to make something happen.

Vicious Cycle: Five of our six top penalized players are forwards. And the PK's wear down our team, which makes us more worn out when it comes time to play team defense. Add to that -huge- minutes for Foote and Hainsey, and you get breakdowns.

If we can solve the scoring problems, the Defense, including the goaltending, will start to take care of itself.

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
raindog

Quote:
JF - now that you bring it up...those boards did seem a little louder than usual...then again, maybe I didn't have enough to drink at the game..
Seemed the ****ing norm to me.

Last edited by raindog: 01-10-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added the **** for Shelf.
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
The problem is not with our Defense, it's with our Offense.

Our Offense couldn't score often enough or control the puck long enough to give our Defense a break. Failing Offense which failed to keep teams close put added pressure on the D.

How many odd man rushes have we seen this year? That's the Offense not getting back. And that's our Defense pushing up too far to try to make something happen.

Vicious Cycle: Five of our six top penalized players are forwards. And the PK's wear down our team, which makes us more worn out when it comes time to play team defense. Add to that -huge- minutes for Foote and Hainsey, and you get breakdowns.

If we can solve the scoring problems, the Defense, including the goaltending, will start to take care of itself.
this post is positively nonsensical. dude, if the offense is THAT busy effing up life for the defense, I'm perplexed at how they manage to find time to score AT ALL. The offense is the defense's problem? if the offense scores more, the defense and goaltending will work itself out? how does favoring a lame limb make the whole a stronger entity? how does that make sense? five of the top six penalty minute getters are forwards, so? we have 12 of them for godssakes. Yes, Hainsey and Foote play more minutes than they seem capable of many nights ... but how the HECK is that the offense's fault? seriously, Mr Mac, untangle that verbal blight of a post and help a sister out?

Old
01-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:

I learned two new things about Hollywood tonight as he strutted down the runway as Sak's. First, Hainsey is dating Victoria Gotti (no lie!), and second, Hollywood looks faaaaabulous in a full length mink coat ... P Diddy and Jay-Z have nothing, repeat NOTHING on Macdaddy Hainsey.

(seriously, every last one of the guys was dashing and utterly engaging. All of them were smiling and appeared completely devoted to both the "Hero" kids and their their charming female companions/wives. It was a little hard to tell with AJ whether he or the kids were having more fun. True to rumors and reports... Manny and his friend stayed late and were actually shopping! Yes, a Puma 'Ho indeed.) (oh yeah, Jody was a no show... they announced he was injured in the St. Louis game... I sorta missed that. Mrs. Jody was there though and seems to be a genuinely sweet soul.) (oh yeah, and Rimer passed within a foot me on more than one occasion and he's no worse for wear. heh.)

Edit: okay, Hainsey's woman wasn't really a Gotti... but she definitely plays one on TV.

Old
01-11-2007, 01:37 AM
Muleskinner

Quote:
I learned two new things about Hollywood tonight as he strutted down the runway as Sak's. First, Hainsey is dating Victoria Gotti (no lie!), and second, Hollywood looks faaaaabulous in a full length mink coat ... P Diddy and Jay-Z have nothing, repeat NOTHING on Macdaddy Hainsey.

(seriously, every last one of the guys was dashing and utterly engaging. All of them were smiling and appeared completely devoted to both the "Hero" kids and their their charming female companions/wives. It was a little hard to tell with AJ whether he or the kids were having more fun. True to rumors and reports... Manny and his friend stayed late and were actually shopping! Yes, a Puma 'Ho indeed.) (oh yeah, Jody was a no show... they announced he was injured in the St. Louis game... I sorta missed that. Mrs. Jody was there though and seems to be a genuinely sweet soul.) (oh yeah, and Rimer passed within a foot me on more than one occasion and he's no worse for wear. heh.)

Edit: okay, Hainsey's woman wasn't really a Gotti... but she definitely plays one on TV.
Wow. Thanks for that insider report Pluck. What are you some kind of groupie?

I'm with most here on Hainsey, I love the guy one game/hate him the next. He has won some games this year, then helped loose some with boneheaded plays. Even though he has to have the most giveaways on the defensive side, I really like his upside and can see why he was a #1 pick by the Habs. He needs some coaching, but what the hell.....his woman is Gotti!!!

Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Pluckfur

Muleskinner... groupie status aside the the Hats for Heroes fundraiser last night at Sak's was fun and more fully attended than I had anticipated. So, yay for the kids! Foote, AJ, Hainsey, Klesla represented the CBJ D corps well (and, though OT in *this* thread - some offense showed up too in the persons of Vyborny, Brule, and Malholtra.) So, while Hainsey has his faults, he did show up and contribute to the community last night ~ a little shoutout from me to all the guys, their gals, and the kids. Well done everyone.

(sorry, I realized after I posted that that y'all probably didn't know what I was talking about. oops )

Old
01-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Muleskinner

Quote:
Muleskinner... groupie status aside the the Hats for Heroes fundraiser last night at Sak's was fun and more fully attended than I had anticipated. So, yay for the kids! Foote, AJ, Hainsey, Klesla represented the CBJ D corps well (and, though OT in *this* thread - some offense showed up too in the persons of Vyborny, Brule, and Malholtra.) So, while Hainsey has his faults, he did show up and contribute to the community last night ~ a little shoutout from me to all the guys, their gals, and the kids. Well done everyone.

(sorry, I realized after I posted that that y'all probably didn't know what I was talking about. oops )
Good work Pluck... and "Hat's Off" to the kids and the heroes that showed up.

Muleskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
tgerace23

How about Hainsey 's wife/gf I saw her on 10TV. Wowzers.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
this post is positively nonsensical. dude, if the offense is THAT busy effing up life for the defense, I'm perplexed at how they manage to find time to score AT ALL. The offense is the defense's problem? if the offense scores more, the defense and goaltending will work itself out? how does favoring a lame limb make the whole a stronger entity? how does that make sense? five of the top six penalty minute getters are forwards, so? we have 12 of them for godssakes. Yes, Hainsey and Foote play more minutes than they seem capable of many nights ... but how the HECK is that the offense's fault? seriously, Mr Mac, untangle that verbal blight of a post and help a sister out?
Thank you, you saved me some time.......