HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Crunch leaving Syracuse?

Old
12-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Rumblick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
115:

Your question: Still Doesn't answer why Utica doesn't have hockey at any level

The answer, IN YOUR OWN WORDS: ""I feel Utica is not in the future plans of the AHL""

as Transporter pointed out, if Utica wanted hockey back after the Mohawk Valley fiasco---why would the AHL want to revisit Utica now--after watching the Prowlers fiasco---no professional franchise or league wants to deal w/ an unfriendly anti-hockey commission.

They're not anti-hockey, they're anti- UHL hockey.

As for the Frostbite vs Red Wings scenario u mentioned, again it's the snobbish ppl u mentioned and not even Melrose was in control of the Frostbite toward the end regardless of the Shaver ownership situation.

Melrose was in full control. The city would not work with him on a lease deal.

I don't think the Rangers leaving for Hartford from Binghamton in 1997 has any bearing on Adirondack's failure because Binghamton got their franchise back, is there still resentment in Binghamton now that Ottawa is there, Whalers fans are in the shrinking minority each and every year the franchise has been in NC, AND those who don't support the Pack in Hartford are "snobs" as well, what would u rather see in Hartford, no hockey or hockey.

Completely irrelevant to this conversation, but don't let that stop you.

You know, sometimes I wonder if you even read these posts. You're constantly switching gears (bringing Bingo & Hartford into this conversation) taking both sides of an issuie, and COMPLETELY ignoring the facts as presented to you on any number of occasions. Even knowing the situation, I still let you get to me. It's an amazing thing.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:30 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
You know, sometimes I wonder if you even read these posts. You're constantly switching gears (bringing Bingo & Hartford into this conversation) taking both sides of an issuie, and COMPLETELY ignoring the facts as presented to you on any number of occasions. Even knowing the situation, I still let you get to me. It's an amazing thing.
I think it's time for a board-wide campaign to put Hutch on the ignore list. It truly would make the AHL board a much better place.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:05 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
115:

Still Doesn't answer why Utica doesn't have hockey at any level---I believe Utica's Auditorium Commission came to a similar conclusion that the operators of the Roanoke Civic Center did by not pursuing minor league hockey, I feel Utica is not in the future plans of the AHL, as Transporter pointed out, if Utica wanted hockey back after the Mohawk Valley fiasco---why would the AHL want to revisit Utica now--after watching the Prowlers fiasco---no professional franchise or league wants to deal w/ an unfriendly anti-hockey commission.
I know this isn't geared towards me, but Transported Upstater was saying that one of the reasons that there isn't pro hockey in Utica may be related to the local economy, (s)he wasn't ruling out Utica because of what happened with another league years ago.

Quote:
As for the Frostbite vs Red Wings scenario u mentioned, again it's the snobbish ppl u mentioned and not even Melrose was in control of the Frostbite toward the end regardless of the Shaver ownership situation.
The situation may have been out of Melrose's control but, he and Steve Levy were in control of the team and supposedly seeking a buyer when the Frostbite folded.

====

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I think it's time for a board-wide campaign to put Hutch on the ignore list. It truly would make the AHL board a much better place.
But, I need a reason to wake up in the morning and log onto HFBoards.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:42 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
When I think of Utica, I think of poverty and a 9.75% sales tax rate.
Don't forget about the prisons (although I guess technically they're not actually in Utica). I think the only place in all of Upstate that I find more depressing than Utica is Ogdensburg. So let's please not talk about Utica anymore.

To get back on topic...the latest updates from Syracuse:
County boss slams Captain Crunch

And from Lindsay Kramer's weblog:

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/weblog/

Quote:
Is no news good news?

When it comes to the Crunch's lease, I don't know.

Syracuse owner Howard Dolgon and Deputy County Executive Ed Kochian talked again Thursday morning. Nothing was resolved.

They may or may not talk again today. They might talk on Friday, if needed. Or not. Dolgon remains firm in his position of not changing his final offer. Kochian just has to decide if the county can live with the numbers.

If there's still no deal by Saturday, they might agree to stop talking for now, which would be a bad sign.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

I visited Syracuse last year. The stadium is a wreck. When I walked in, I thought the decor looked like my old grade school. When I went into watch the game, that stage or whatever it is on the one end looked terrible. Just an eyesore.

I will say that I liked the exhibits of the uniforms and such and thought that it added a touch of charm, but overall, I have to agree with Dolgon.

Don't get me wrong, I'll fully admit that the Allstate Arena where the Wolves play is not the best stadium I have been to watch AHL hockey. In fact, of all the places I have visited, I always comment how much nicer the other arena's are, with the exception of Syracuse and Hamilton. I like the stadiums in Hershey, WBS, Toronto, Rochester, Grand Rapids, & Milwaukee all more than my own arena to varying degrees. But I was glad to be in the AA after seeing Syracuse and Hamilton.

The biggest problem with the AA is that it is too big. It seats over 13,000. If it was a smaller, more intimate venue, then I'd like it better.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:33 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl View Post
Don't forget about the prisons (although I guess technically they're not actually in Utica). I think the only place in all of Upstate that I find more depressing than Utica is Ogdensburg. So let's please not talk about Utica anymore.
Actually I would say that Elmira is as equally as depressing as the two cities you mentioned. That said, First Center is a great place to watch a game and, with my mascot-based AHL, the Jackals are absolutely in the AHL!

Old
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:

To get back on topic...the latest updates from Syracuse:
County boss slams Captain Crunch

And from Lindsay Kramer's weblog:

http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/weblog/
Just as an aside : Is Utica Club beer still available ?

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:38 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Actually I would say that Elmira is as equally as depressing as the two cities you mentioned. That said, First Center is a great place to watch a game and, with my mascot-based AHL, the Jackals are absolutely in the AHL!
I haven't been to Elmira yet, so I'll take your word for it.

A mascot-based AHL??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2 View Post
Just as an aside : Is Utica Club beer still available ?
I think so.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:26 AM
frontsfan2005

If the Crunch do leave, I would think Syracuse would be a prime candidate to get an OHL team with the Mississauga IceDogs looking for a new home, and its no secret that league would like to expand in NY State. Would Syracuse support major junior hockey, or would the fans of that area rather support an AHL franchise?

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 07:59 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I haven't been to Elmira yet, so I'll take your word for it.

A mascot-based AHL??
When I was drug rep Elmira was part of my territory and it was not a fun place to go. I remember one day there was a prison escape and the state troopers were checking every car leaving Elmira.

As for the mascot-based AHL, see the "common sense AHL thread" as the league would consist of the 30 "toughest" mascots.

Old
12-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Back to the Crunch leaving Syracuse...

This article from the Lebanon (PA) Daily News has quite a few interesting notes, including some of the reasons why Howard Dologon might be making so much noise about the war Memorial being an unfit facility at th ecurrent rent amount...

Quote:
Conditions at the arena leave something to be desired, particulary for the players who have had to endure some less-than-pleasant animal situations this season, first when the building hosted the circus in October, then again in November when the building hosted a horse show.

The circus left some elephantine odors permeating the dressing room before the team left for its road trip while the circus was in town, and when the team returned, its first game was delayed for 30 minutes because the ice was in unplayable condition. The horse show, meanwhile, resulted in horse manure being placed in a bin located right outside the players’ weight room, and some of the liquids leaked into the weight room.
The article also goes on to talk about a lot of the same things we have been speculating ( ) about such as the move of Lowell to Trenton and the Hawks taking their affiliation to Rockford. It also mentions the Cleveland franchise ramping up.

Bottom line, the article is a good read.

This second article out of the Post-Standard compares the Crunch's treatment to the treatment of the Sryracuse Chiefs (Basketball), especially in light of Nick Pirros' comments about how Howard should focus more attention on the Crunch and make them competitive before speaking out about the lease at the War Memorial. Another good read.

Old
12-16-2006, 12:33 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
According to today's Springfield Republican the Crunch have a press conference scheduled Saturday..

http://www.syracusecrunch.com/press/...lay&pr_id=1539

Last edited by FlyersProspect2: 12-16-2006 at 12:52 PM.
FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 06:12 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Back to the Crunch leaving Syracuse...

This article from the Lebanon (PA) Daily News has quite a few interesting notes, including some of the reasons why Howard Dologon might be making so much noise about the war Memorial being an unfit facility at th ecurrent rent amount...

The article also goes on to talk about a lot of the same things we have been speculating ( ) about such as the move of Lowell to Trenton and the Hawks taking their affiliation to Rockford. It also mentions the Cleveland franchise ramping up.

Bottom line, the article is a good read.

This second article out of the Post-Standard compares the Crunch's treatment to the treatment of the Sryracuse Chiefs (Basketball), especially in light of Nick Pirros' comments about how Howard should focus more attention on the Crunch and make them competitive before speaking out about the lease at the War Memorial. Another good read.

FYI, THE Syracuse Sky-Chiefs are the Triple A Affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, not Syracuse University, Majik

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
FYI, THE Syracuse Sky-Chiefs are the Triple A Affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, not Syracuse University, Majik
Umm, where id Majik say anything about Syracuse University? His only error is that the Chiefs are a baseball team not a basketball team.

The point of the article, obviously lost on you (not surprising though), is that the county commissioner seems to think that the ownership of the Crunch should focus more on putting a winning product on the ice rather than complaining about the conditions of the arena.

Personally I think that the county commissioner is out of line. The War Memorial is in desperate need of a facelift.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 12-16-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old
12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

So, the Press conference started an hour ago -- any word?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
pelts35.com

From Syracuse.com

"Crunch agrees to lease with county

The Syracuse Crunch and Onondaga County have reached a new lease deal that will keep the team in town at least five more years and turn the fading Onondaga County War Memorial into something resembling a modern facility.

The deal was finalized at 6:45 p.m. and announced at a 7 p.m. press conference Saturday at the War Memorial.

Under the deal, the county will install ribbon lighting, new seats and a scoreboard in the building, as well as build a restaurant and luxury suites and upgrade the team's offices and facilities.

There is also a three-year extension option on the deal, which is at the club's discretion.

The team's previous lease expired at the end of last season. Crunch owner Howard Dolgon had given 7 p.m. Saturday as the deadline to reach a new deal or break off talks and perhaps find a new home.

For more on the agreement, read Sunday's Post-Standard."

Given that the press conference included the county I think it was a safe bet that a deal was made between the Crunch and the county.

Old
12-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Umm, where id Majik say anything about Syracuse University? His only error is that the Chiefs are a baseball team not a basketball team.

The point of the article, obviously lost on you (not surprising though), is that the county commissioner seems to think that the ownership of the Crunch should focus more on putting a winning product on the ice rather than complaining about the conditions of the arena.

Personally I think that the county commissioner is out of line. The War Memorial is in desperate need of a facelift.
Oops. I saw stadium and figured basketball. My bad. Thanks for setting me straight.

Good for Syracuse. Glad to hear the team is staying put, and more importantly, that the facility will get some upgrades.

Old
12-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
From Syracuse.com

"Crunch agrees to lease with county

The Syracuse Crunch and Onondaga County have reached a new lease deal that will keep the team in town at least five more years and turn the fading Onondaga County War Memorial into something resembling a modern facility.

The deal was finalized at 6:45 p.m. and announced at a 7 p.m. press conference Saturday at the War Memorial.

Under the deal, the county will install ribbon lighting, new seats and a scoreboard in the building, as well as build a restaurant and luxury suites and upgrade the team's offices and facilities.

There is also a three-year extension option on the deal, which is at the club's discretion.

The team's previous lease expired at the end of last season. Crunch owner Howard Dolgon had given 7 p.m. Saturday as the deadline to reach a new deal or break off talks and perhaps find a new home.

For more on the agreement, read Sunday's Post-Standard."

Given that the press conference included the county I think it was a safe bet that a deal was made between the Crunch and the county.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote