HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Unsung hero - Malik

Old
12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Raistlin1022

vCash: 500
Unsung hero - Malik

I was just looking at the 04 canucks team....and noticed a fond name that we certainly missed...... one Mr. M.Malik. With his long wingspan and steady presence, he was a defensive boon when the nucks were an offensive dynamo playing defense not unlike the Phoenix Suns. Then I noticed his +/- over the last 4 seasons... and I wonder...How much of the ranger's success has to do with Malik?

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin1022 View Post
I was just looking at the 04 canucks team....and noticed a fond name that we certainly missed...... one Mr. M.Malik. With his long wingspan and steady presence, he was a defensive boon when the nucks were an offensive dynamo playing defense not unlike the Phoenix Suns. Then I noticed his +/- over the last 4 seasons... and I wonder...How much of the ranger's success has to do with Malik?
LOL can't wait to hear some of the responces from a few guys on here.

I don't think Malik has been as bad as some on here make him sound. Many posters were tearing Rozsival apart but now that he's playing really good hockey again thats stoped. While he hasn't been as consistant as last season I think he's playing much better now compared to Sept/Oct.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:20 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post

I don't think Malik has been as bad as some on here make him sound. Many posters were tearing Rozsival apart but now that he's playing really good hockey again thats stoped. While he hasn't been as consistant as last season I think he's playing much better now compared to Sept/Oct.

I second all of that. Malik is fine. He gets most of the boos at MSG, but someone had to take Poti's place.

12-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Balej20*

Malik sucks

There, I said it.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Raistlin1022

LOL, it seems he's not playing as well as his stats indicate? You have to understand....my post came as a result of interpreting his numbers...+16 being the case...one behind Jagr, and 5th overall in the league. unless he's the 5th or 6th Dman, playing against opponents 4th line, that has to mean something positive? C'mon, ppl are still booing at MSG? whats not to like about a 17-10-4 record?

Old
12-14-2006, 12:59 AM
in the hall

LOL.. i was about to say no way is this guy a ranger fan

MALIK HAS BEEN BY FAR THE WORST PLAYER ON THE RANGERS THIS SEASON.. BY FAR

last year he was decent.. probably a good #5.. decent #4 on a good team, this season however i can't even remember ONE good game he's had.. in fact he's been so bad that every game i've gone to (6 home games) he's been one of the players that have noticably had a bad game

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Raistlin1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Malik sucks

There, I said it.
yeah...? Is Fedor playing any better, mr. Balej? hows sweden? Malik's contribution...at least during his days up north, were seldom noticed...all I see is that he is a career triple digit +, thats freaking amazing for a Dman.

Old
12-14-2006, 01:00 AM
in the hall

Quote:

i like how rozsival has been playing good hockey AGAIN.. umm when was he first playing good hockey? it certainly wasn't this season

Old
12-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Raistlin1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
LOL.. i was about to say no way is this guy a ranger fan

MALIK HAS BEEN BY FAR THE WORST PLAYER ON THE RANGERS THIS SEASON.. BY FAR

last year he was decent.. probably a good #5.. decent #4 on a good team, this season however i can't even remember ONE good game he's had.. in fact he's been so bad that every game i've gone to (6 home games) he's been one of the players that have noticably had a bad game
Was he too slow in the 'new' NHL? Or lackluster effort? Age catching up to him? Why is he the worst? I used to like him a lot, kind of surprised to see the negative responses...

Old
12-14-2006, 01:10 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Was he too slow in the 'new' NHL? Or lackluster effort? Age catching up to him? Why is he the worst? I used to like him a lot, kind of surprised to see the negative responses...
last year he was slow but he was good positionally and while not at all aggressive, he was able to get enough on players to disrupt plays.. if i remember right he missed some time, about 2/3 into the season and when he came back he looked worse but not terrible, just a significant downgrade in performance

both he and rozsival were greatly overrated by their stats last season, and i imagine he was while in vancouver

this season everything has gone wrong for him, but it hasn't all been bonehead mistakes he is being exposed big time for his weaknesses.. not only has his immobility been very apparent, he has been out of position so many times and i can't even tell you how often he has given the puck away by mishandling it and that's not just in the defensive zone but also in the neutral and offensive zone.. he has really had a terrible season thus far

Old
12-14-2006, 01:14 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I second all of that. Malik is fine. He gets most of the boos at MSG, but someone had to take Poti's place.
that is flat out BS.. i was a fan of malik after last season, but there is no mistaking this.. he's been absolutely terrible this year, so bad that if all things were equal, he should be getting scratched for his performance

let me also comment on rozsy.. i posted this a couple times already giving him props, but he was not nearly as good last year as he has been as of late.. and i am not a fan of him at all.. he too was having a terrible season up until a month ago he decided to step up his game to an even better level that we've seen.. he still shouldn't be on the PP though, the man just doesn't know when to shoot or pass

Old
12-14-2006, 01:28 AM
eco's bones

The Malik-Roszival pairing are the ones most often out on the ice with the Jagr line. That is one reason why their +/- is so high. Anyway I think there have been some games when Malik has been fine--and to be honest Rachunek with Ozo is the worst. In fact it's not even close. Rachunek gets better (though not always a whole lot) when he plays with someone else. Ozo does not defend in front of his net and chases puck carriers all over. But back to Malik he has made a number of very boneheaded plays this year--and went through about a months worth of games where he played very poorly and on top of that he's taken a lot of penalties and a number of them at very inopportune times--so despite the gaudy +/- he's had his problems.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:01 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I was at the Rangers-Ottawa game in Ottawa the other day, and can say with confidence that Marek Malik was without a doubt the WORST player on the ice, and was possibly the worst player I have ever witnessed live. He absolutely sucks. He doesn't hit, he can't stickhandle, his passing worse than mine and I am sure I could beat him in a race. He has no offensive redeeming qualities and he was beat on defense about 8 times, and he seems to have no hockey sense at all, since he continuously makes boneheaded plays.
If it wasn't for his goal in the shootout last year, he'd have been publicly crusified.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
i like how rozsival has been playing good hockey AGAIN.. umm when was he first playing good hockey? it certainly wasn't this season
I guess last season. When he led the Rangers D in points, +/-, IT (PP AND SH - on a team with good special teams) and ranked 3rd in blocked shots and 2nd in hits, something people don't really associate him with.

Remember, he missed camp this season, maybe that's why his start wasn't as good as he's playing now.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:50 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Anytime you mention his, Hossa's, Rozsival's or Renney's name, you can expect irrational bashing. Ain't this New York?!

Malik struggled till like game 15, but he's been solid since... he played above expectations last season but was still, somehow, bashed.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:00 AM
TheRedressor

Malik has been mediocre overall this season.

Last season I thought he was excellent and the combination of him Rozsival and Kasper did really well trying to be the leaders of the D night in night out. Each night at least one of them stepped up to continue the facade that we had a great D. We quickly found out how great the D was when both Malik and Kasper were injured late in the season.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Many posters were tearing Rozsival apart but now that he's playing really good hockey again thats stoped.
So.....what does that tell you?

Malik, occasionally bad, but mostly serviceable. Certainly no one's choice for the first pairing and probably shouldn't be on special teams, but the defense is so mediocre overall, it's impossible for Malik not to be a meaningful part of it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:34 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its funny though that when his game got better so did the rangers. Hes still slow as a slug in winter out there, but he has the reach and sometimes makes good outlet passes.

Whats most amazing to me, and i always try to point it out - is when the Rangers lose a game like 5-2 hes plus 2 or if the Rangers lose 6-0 he is somehow even. Even his partner will be -2 or something, though Rozsival got the benefit of the +/- stat last year also. (Roszival has been better, but hes a different story)

Malik has a weird quality to him even though he seems slow and lumbering, its that he kind of "calms down" the defense because he is so deliberate, and sometimes you need deliberate play from the D to get a steady flow of defense going from the forwards and the D.

I'm trying really hard to give the positives for him, because theres gonna be a ton of negatives in this thread.

IF the Rangers had two true top pairing D, Malik would be a great asset to the team in the second or third pairing. Its funny how shot the names on D looked last year and they somehow put it together, i know alot had to do with the forwards and goaltending but you have to give them some credit.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He hasn't been as bad as some would make him out to be. He's not as good as how you discribe him.

12-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Larry Melnyk

Both Malik and Roszival have been steady as of late...They are the least of our concerns on defense now..The true laibilities are OZO, Rachunek, and Ward, who has really slipped from early on...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Chimp

Malik has been bashed a ton because his mental lapses have been so painstakingly bad. He has been doing passes that should count as first assists on the goals for the other team... and a bunch of them.

I think, however, if he would regain some confidence, he would pick up his game a little bit at least.

One thing for sure though, it's not easy being as slow as Hatcher and trying to play D in this game.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
polako

I like him.

Yeah, he really sucked the during the beginning of the season, but since then has progressively raised his game, though still not to the level he was at last year.

It may be just a coincidence, but the team really hit the wall last year once Malik was injured by Janssens.

He just clicks with Rozsival and the first line, hopefully the MSG crowd will get off his back. And yes, it's still unbelievable how they'd prefer to boo their players when they are winning, instead of the other team.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 09:57 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Both Malik and Roszival have been steady as of late...They are the least of our concerns on defense now..The true laibilities are OZO, Rachunek, and Ward, who has really slipped from early on...
Ward?!?!? Besides a few bad plays (most notably the Holik travisty) the dude belongs on the first line with Tyuts. Every D man's going to make a few mistakes. He has the best defensive positioning and vision out of any of our guys. It might even be argued that Tyutin wouldn't be playing as well as he has, if it weren't for him.

The three stooges on our team are Malik, Rachunek and Ozo.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Tawnos

Quote:
i can't even remember ONE good game he's had..
That's because the mark of a good Malik game is when you barely notice him at all. Sylvain Lefebvre had the same kind of effect throughout his career. There are some defensemen who are just like that.

I find it funny that people keep calling Malik at 3, 4 or 5 defenseman when he's been on the top pairing of his team every season for the last 4.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
With the new rules Malik can be beat on the outside and inside if exposed.

When Straka-Nylande-Jagr plays well, which they often do, Malik is a very good fit on that line. Though he aren't playing a big role in the success we have.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote