HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs in good shape

Old
12-14-2006, 02:14 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Habs in good shape

I think, as a whole, the biggest difference between this years version of the Habs and years past is the ability to play through major injuries. The Habs have depth at all positions this year including defense, forward and goaltending. Last year our Habs lost Kovalev in mid November and began a major slump as a result.

This year we have the horses up front to deal with the loss of our leading scorer Chris Higgins. Most of us thought it was doom for the Habs once Higgs went down, but the Habs kept winning. At the beginning of the year we had to deal with the losses of Bouillon and Dandenault on D and persevered as well. Now, another challenge is getting by without Souray and Begin. While Begin isn't as much of a challenge it's tough to replace his energy. And Souray...whew...I think all of us were thinking we'd be in trouble once he went down and the Habs stepped it vs Boston. Although it's only been one game, we didn't miss Souray that game as much as we thought. Markov compensated greatly and Rivet was shooting more from the point.

The Habs are in good shape and when we have a healthy Higgins and Souray (top two point getters on the Habs at one time this season) back in the lineup the Habs will be in fine form.

I'd like to add that it is disappointing that our Habs won't be playing San Jose or Anaheim to guage how well they can play vs more of the best teams. We know they can compete with Buffalo. Love to see them play Anaheim and the likes.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
I think, as a whole, the biggest difference between this years version of the Habs and years past is the ability to play through major injuries. The Habs have depth at all positions this year including defense, forward and goaltending. Last year our Habs lost Kovalev in mid November and began a major slump as a result.

This year we have the horses up front to deal with the loss of our leading scorer Chris Higgins. Most of us thought it was doom for the Habs once Higgs went down, but the Habs kept winning. At the beginning of the year we had to deal with the losses of Bouillon and Dandenault on D and persevered as well. Now, another challenge is getting by without Souray and Begin. While Begin isn't as much of a challenge it's tough to replace his energy. And Souray...whew...I think all of us were thinking we'd be in trouble once he went down and the Habs stepped it vs Boston. Although it's only been one game, we didn't miss Souray that game as much as we thought. Markov compensated greatly and Rivet was shooting more from the point.

The Habs are in good shape and when we have a healthy Higgins and Souray (top two point getters on the Habs at one time this season) back in the lineup the Habs will be in fine form.

I'd like to add that it is disappointing that our Habs won't be playing San Jose or Anaheim to guage how well they can play vs more of the best teams. We know they can compete with Buffalo. Love to see them play Anaheim and the likes.

I agree, its too bad we wont see a team like anaheim this season.

But in my honest opinion, the ducks are in a league of their own. There's the ducks, then there's everyone else in the NHL.

I've been fortunate enough to see a number of their games. They are just a machine. Even on their worst days, they find a way to win.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:24 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post

But in my honest opinion, the ducks are in a league of their own. There's the ducks, then there's everyone else in the NHL.

I've been fortunate enough to see a number of their games. They are just a machine. Even on their worst days, they find a way to win.
The funny thing is you'd think they would have dominated games in their recent stretch after playing teams like Tampa, Florida, and Atlanta. The Ducks won each game by one goal against teams who you may consider much lower on the totem pole than the Ducks. I'm curious to see how our Habs match up. Didn't Washington beat them 7-4 earlier this year . Seems that division gives the Ducks fits. I'd like to see Buffalo against Anaheim. My money would be on the Sabres.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 03:31 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
The funny thing is you'd think they would have dominated games in their recent stretch after playing teams like Tampa, Florida, and Atlanta. The Ducks won each game by one goal against teams who you may consider much lower on the totem pole than the Ducks. I'm curious to see how our Habs match up. Didn't Washington beat them 7-4 earlier this year . Seems that division gives the Ducks fits. I'd like to see Buffalo against Anaheim. My money would be on the Sabres.
they have 3 regulation losses all season. Thats it

And one of them was to philly on home ice.

Old
12-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Jinx us all, why don't you!?!?

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 05:35 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
they have 3 regulation losses all season. Thats it

And one of them was to philly on home ice.
They have 9 loses overall though. Don't get me wrong, they are a good team, maybe the best in the NHL this season. But with the addition of overtime points for loses it makes their season seem better then it actually is. I actually think Buffalo is a better team and they only have 7 losses and 4 games in hand.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:47 AM
speed11

Quote:

they lost to the islanders, calm down. i've watched every game they've had, and yes they are a great team, but they are not in a league of their own. i'd honestly be more scared to face a team like san jose, who's very physical, can score, and have 2 very reliable goaltenders.

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Good shape? They should be...they are professional hockey players after all.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
I still think Buffalo is the best team in the NHL. By a very slim margin but still better than Anaheim. Anaheim has played 4 more games, which is really the reason why they have created such a gap in term of points.

Don't forget Anaheim has been VERY lucky with injuries, Buffalo has had quite a few.

Plus Anaheim gets to beat up on LA and Phoenix 16 times a year, there are no LA and Phoenix type teams in our division.

As for the main subject of the post, this is an excellent point but it would sweet to not have to test the theory out for the rest of the season and keep all our key guys healthy.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:06 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Plus Anaheim gets to beat up on LA and Phoenix 16 times a year, there are no LA and Phoenix type teams in our division.
Why not? Boston = LA.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:20 AM
RC51

The big difference between this year and last year has to be, this.
Koivu and Kovy went down to injury in November to mid- December.
Ribs could not handle top center role and the BIG one is, Theo.
Right around now, Theo started to just blow up. Letting in 2 BAD goals in the first period almost every game. I had never seen an NHL goalie completly blow up before. Between now and February, Theo cost the habs at least 10 points, the entire team was seeing this and had NO confidance in him. Julien was still trying to turn him around and it cost the habs and cost the habs and cost the habs over and over again.

ALL this has been fixed this year and a few players has come into their own. ( Higgins,Prez, Latendresse) add Bonk and Johnson and the Habs have depth in the prospects now ( Lapierre,Kostitsyn) ready for the NHL. So this year the Habs should not have any BIG slump starting now. The Habs are turning heads and by the playoffs the Habs will be feared.

Wait, it's gets better, Carbo will be in a most envious position next year. After nearly 10 years of disappointing prospects and draft picks, the habs have had their NEW first wave join the habs and make an impact. Their is TWO more waves comming. Over the next 2-3 years the Habs have lots of talent comming. Sure, no Crosby's in the mix but just a solid set of very talented players. With so many good rookies at cheap prices, the Habs can count on extra CAP space almost every year for a long while.

Everything is pointing to a long stretch of good years for the Habs.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
I still think Buffalo is the best team in the NHL. By a very slim margin but still better than Anaheim. Anaheim has played 4 more games, which is really the reason why they have created such a gap in term of points.

Don't forget Anaheim has been VERY lucky with injuries, Buffalo has had quite a few.

As for the main subject of the post, this is an excellent point but it would sweet to not have to test the theory out for the rest of the season and keep all our key guys healthy.
I think if they played a 7 game series with both teams having the same relative health, the Ducks would edge out the Sabres.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 09:43 AM
oli500

Whats more imprisive is that are young up and coming core players are playing some great hockey, and there the reason were doing so good this year. May I add there all under the age of 24. You look at guys like higgins and how important he was at the begining. he gets injured and latendresse comes in and plays some great hockey especially for a guy who under 20. we dident have the ability to replace a key player in the past. Not to mention perezhogin incridible two way hockey. The guy knows how to play hockey, leads the team in +- well playing some terrific hockey on both side of the rink. On defense we got komisarek who is also playing some good hockey. Its not like are d core been healthy all year, bouillon,dandenault, souray and markov all missed games at one point. Komisarek been steady out there. You than got guys like lapierre who I fought played a real solid game in replacing begin. All under the age of 24.

Ryder got another dimention to his game. hes not just a goal scorer anymore. I love how are young players are moving foward, getting better each game. Theres more on the way two. Looks real promising for many years.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
they lost to the islanders, calm down. i've watched every game they've had, and yes they are a great team, but they are not in a league of their own. i'd honestly be more scared to face a team like san jose, who's very physical, can score, and have 2 very reliable goaltenders.
Do you realize that your description of the Sharks is exactly what the Ducks are?

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs depth has a few vulnerable spots. I wouldn't want to see Huet out for a few weeks. And what would happen if Koivu were injured again?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
AD

An injury to koivu *Kocks on wood til knuckes bleed* would paralyse us right now.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
An injury to koivu *Kocks on wood til knuckes bleed* would paralyse us right now.
Would you say that any louder? Jesus christ, the carelessness and audacity of some fans...

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
They have 9 loses overall though. Don't get me wrong, they are a good team, maybe the best in the NHL this season. But with the addition of overtime points for loses it makes their season seem better then it actually is. I actually think Buffalo is a better team and they only have 7 losses and 4 games in hand.

Not only are the Ducks on fire right now (they find ways to win games that they might not be playing well in); they also lead the league in fights. They have 2 all-stars on D (one of which is on the ice at all times) and some big forwards that fore check the heck out of the opposing team. Selanne is looking like a 25 year old.
2 solid goalies.
If this team doesn’t make it to the finals, it will be a surprise.

Ducks/Habs final???
Since I live in San Diego this would be great.

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Garo

Quote:
There's no San Jose either, and Dallas is a really solid team.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:15 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
Not only are the Ducks on fire right now (they find ways to win games that they might not be playing well in); they also lead the league in fights. They have 2 all-stars on D (one of which is on the ice at all times) and some big forwards that fore check the heck out of the opposing team. Selanne is looking like a 25 year old.
2 solid goalies.
If this team doesn’t make it to the finals, it will be a surprise.

Ducks/Habs final???
Since I live in San Diego this would be great.
I totally agree that they should be the team from the west unless SAn Jose or someone similar can suprise them. I just think that Buffalo is as good though from more of a team point of view. Less all stars more rounded.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Would you say that any louder? Jesus christ, the carelessness and audacity of some fans...
Sorry. In my defense, my knuckles are bleeding all over the place.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Dolphinwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I totally agree that they should be the team from the west unless SAn Jose or someone similar can suprise them. I just think that Buffalo is as good though from more of a team point of view. Less all stars more rounded.
I don't know about SJ making it to the finals...JT is not a great playoff performer. But I definitely look forward a final including Anaheim, and if it's against Montreal, I'll be extatic...but I won't know who to cheer for...Selanne deserves a cup....but Montreal's my favorite team...I wish there could be a draw there, lol.

Dolphinwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 02:19 PM
bipolarhabfan

The Habs do indeed finally have the depth to compete on a nightly basis. Out of the 30 games the team has played, they have been blown out with no chance of a win 3 to 4 times. Even when they are down, they somehow find a way to come back and either win or come close to a win.

Most importantly, they have enough depth to compete whenever a few players are out of the lineup. When Higgins went down, I thought that the team would have just folded. But they have maintained the form they showed when Higgins was in the line-up. They have enough NHL defensemen (8) to hold the fort when one or two go down with injury. This quality depth is indeed the biggest difference from last season. If you want to see a lack of depth go to Hockydb and look at the Habs team’s from roughly 1997 to 2002.

The depth that we do have is based on a very important element for an organization's success, youth. This can be seen by Perezhogin and Higgin's great play this season as two-way threats. Moreover, Latandresse may prove that he will become the steal of his draft class because of the way he is playing as a 19 year old. I was even impressed by Lapierre's play against Boston. He showed that he could become a quality third or fourth liner in the NHL. This is only the surface of the Habs depth as Grabovski, Kost, and Halak are having great seasons in the AHL; Maxwell and White are playing extremely well in the WHL; Carle is leading all defenseman in scoring in the Q; and Kost Jr. is having an above average season for the London Knights. In short, the Habs are only going to get better and a Stanley Cup this year, or sometime in the next 5, is not out of the question.

However, I think the main reason why the team went into a nose dive and almost missed the playoffs last season was the play of a certain goalie that’s now in the Colorado organization. I remember going over to a friend's house to watch the Habs play the Canucks. In the first 10 minutes of the game this certain goalie let in 5 goals. After the second goal, you could see the players rolling their eyes in dismay and saying to themselves not again. This is just but one example of the atrocious play of Open-Door. His play almost sunk the Habs ship last season.
All in all, I am content with the Habs this season and see the potential of great things in the future such as this:

bipolarhabfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 04:48 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I calculated it yesterday, and Anaheim's division is the strongest in the league.
If you take out all interdivisional games out, every team in that division is over .500.

I forget the stats but win percentage-wise they have the strongest division, followed by ours.

As for the thread, yes I'm thrilled by how much depth we have this year.
We have guys like Kosts, Grabs and Laps in the AHL, when we have a full team. That is pretty damn impressive.
Hell, I'm sure a line of those 3 could have been stronger than some of our 2nd lines we've had in the past :p

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

sure the ducks have some OT losses....

but the sabres are picking up alot of extra points in the shootout.

I think they are both good teams but its just my opinion that the ducks are better at this point.