HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Aim To Keep Nylander

Old
12-16-2006, 04:37 AM
reaper

vCash: 500
Wow, Nylander is really underrated on these boards. Everyone seems to love Straka but not much love for Nylander. Sure, he isn't an elite #1 center but he is still a damn good player and should get paid as one. If you have ever negotiated a contract in real life did your boss say, "Hey, by the way, you are only doing so good because Bill is carrying you so I will cut your raise by 20%". Negotiating doesn't work that way, you get paid for what you accomplish, it doesn't matter who you play with. Sure Nylander get's a lot of free points playing with Jagr but it works the other way around too but not many people here seem to understand that. Nylander is feeding Jagr a lot of nice passes to score goals. It's a two way relationship and it would be retarded by the Rangers not to keep Nylander. I don't think he will go greedy on the Rangers and change team but let's be real here, anything under $3 Mil is a steal, I think he should be in the range of $3-4 Mil and if he gets that I think he will resign.

reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 04:53 AM
Kostik

2years at 4M$ seems ok for me, Nylander is running for about 100 points if he will stay healthy, you don't know how many points he could collect in "New NHL era" without JJ, so you can't only relly on old years numbers.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 06:56 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
2years at 4M$ seems ok for me, Nylander is running for about 100 points if he will stay healthy, you don't know how many points he could collect in "New NHL era" without JJ, so you can't only relly on old years numbers.
That's a good point. In the new "we can't touch you" era, it's a nightmare defending against Nylander, since he turns and tweaks so hard and fast with the puck, while looking for the pass and sometimes the shot. Not being able to hold and grab him makes it much tougher than before. I don't know how many defensemen he has turned and tweaked away this season.

His main ability is puck possession. When he has the puck, you can lift up the entire team and still be sure it's in Rangers possession when the transition is made.

His 6 children aside, I think Nylander will continue to play this game as long as he thinks he has something valuable to contribute. He loves this game and probably has a couple of years left in him.

I also think Nylander would have success on either the 1st or the 2nd line. Yes, the chemistry between Straka, him and Jagr is great, but I don't doubt he would be a great feeder for Shanahan (and Prucha) as well. Heck, both Dawes and Ward scored on the third line when he played with them for one game. Coincidence? However, I don't see any reason for Renney to split one of the most successful lines in the entire league. Every team fears that line and that's good.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-16-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 09:03 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
Wow, Nylander is really underrated on these boards. Everyone seems to love Straka but not much love for Nylander.
Nothing of the sort. However, most agree that both of them are 2nd line players who are being significantly upgraded by playing with the best.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Some team (and there's ALWAYS one out there) is going to think that they can get the same production out of Nylander that he is providing here and if he were to get to UFA status, he's going to get a 3 year offer above the 4 million mark.

Yes, we all know that the root cause for the spike in his production levels over the last 2 years is his ability to instantly mesh with Jagr, but the bottom line is that his numbers are what they are. Commensurate with that he should be paid accordingly. He'll get 3 years at 12 million from the Rangers

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Some team (and there's ALWAYS one out there) is going to think that they can get the same production out of Nylander that he is providing here and if he were to get to UFA status, he's going to get a 3 year offer above the 4 million mark.

Yes, we all know that the root cause for the spike in his production levels over the last 2 years is his ability to instantly mesh with Jagr, but the bottom line is that his numbers are what they are. Commensurate with that he should be paid accordingly. He'll get 3 years at 12 million from the Rangers
To add to what you said, the cap goes up after this year again. A very similar younger player, Mark Savard got 4 years at 5 million under a smaller cap last summer. I figure on 3 years at 3.5 mill. with Nylander giving us a "home-town" discount.

I don't think 3 years for a 34-year old who plays Nylander's style is a big risk. He doesn't rely on speed or physical play ( ) to be effective. Those are qualities that usually go first. His comparative is a guy like Oates who didn't slow down until he turned 40.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote