HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Ottawa @ Nashville - 8pm A-Channel

Old
12-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagura_24 View Post
Well, then you'll be ok.
I'll be fine because the sens are back in town to stalk soon.

(look look i turned something back OT!!)

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:41 PM
HealthyScratches1200

I was hoping the game would end up being 12-0 to teach the sens a REAL lessons. Too bad Gerber had to make 19 saves.

HealthyScratches1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Hell on Heels

EIGHTY SEVEN POSTS TODAY.

wow i have a life.

Old
12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Hell on Heels

It was $2 beer night.

Old
12-14-2006, 10:50 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
EIGHTY SEVEN POSTS TODAY.

wow i have a life.
Obviously. You didn't hit 100.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickEaves View Post
Obviously. You didn't hit 100.
that's what I'm aiming for.

Old
12-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Murphy*

Quote:
{{{{{{{{SilverCup}}}}}}}}}}

I know, it can be really depressing. I'm not really a crier, and I don't get too stressed (although there are times where it does get to me bad and I feel like crying). I just get very depressed and unmotivated...just want to do nothing and hope it all goes away. I guess you could stay I just "stop caring" and I'm like "eh...just wanna pass".

Lots of people go through these things. You'll get through it.

One thing I'll say though is if any of the stress is because you don't like your program, get out of it. It's not worth making yourself miserable for 4+ years of your life.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've started loving my program now in third year so it helps alot. Finally develop some sort of study skills...still not perfect. Only having 3 exams helps but having to go to the Academic Appeals Centre for a class is a real ***** since no one anwsers anything.

Murphy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:53 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
Your cat?

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:54 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
At last! Arash will now break down the game for us.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Your cat?
no it was a random picture i found on google so that everyone would forget their negativity that they were going to post.

Old
ynaffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by telephony View Post
I was hoping the game would end up being 12-0 to teach the sens a REAL lessons. Too bad Gerber had to make 19 saves.
Yeah, he just HAD to play well. He's useless, I tell you!

ynaffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:55 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
I actually have to studying, and I have non-existant study skills.
Do you mean study skills? Or motivation? If you're not motivated then either quit and get a job, or switch to a really easy program, work part-time and coast for a while. It is much better to get an easy degree and then go back later than to get yourself in academic trouble, then leave, and then try to get back in once you know what you want.

If you're talking about actual study skills, I have advice.

RTWAP's Rules of Studying

1) Write A Cheat-sheet/crib-sheet For Every Class

Not that you'll actually bring it into class, but anything you write in your own had is way easier to remember. And organizing the thought enough to summarize it on the sheet is a good test to see if you really know it.

To be truly efficient, you should start the sheet at the beginning of the year (in very small letters) and add to it throughout the class. If you're using the sheet all semester long then it will really sink in.

True story, on a difficult exam I couldn't remember a formula I needed. I took a blank sheet, drew a circle around where the 'formula' was on my 'cheat sheet' and then Presto! it was in my head.

It is very easy to read material and think "OK, I understand that", only to realize later than it didn't 'stick'. This leads nicely into my second rule.

2) Take breaks

Never study for longer than 30 minutes without taking a 5 minute break. Get up. Walk around. Talk to someone. Use other parts of your brain a bit. Again, you may think you're studying effectively by slogging through the material uninterrupted for hours on end, but your brain is just humouring you into believing that.

3) Work With Others

Spend at least 25% of your study time in vocal group studying with others. It's the best way to overcome blockages. It's the best way to uncover undiscovered brain-farts. It's also a good way to keep it fun.

The vocal part is surprisingly important. It's like the 'writing' in #1. If you actually say something out loud, it is much easier to remember. If you hear it (and understand it) it will reinforce what you know.

4) Do ALL The Problems

This is the hard work one.

Do all the practice problem or assignments, even the ones that aren't worth much. We learn by doing, not by reading. Applying your brain to the page through your hand is the best way to turn a newly understood idea into remembered knowledge.

Every new snippet of knowledge should go on the cheat sheet. While studying for finals, redo all (or at least the hardest) questions while referring only to your cheat sheet. You should almost have it memorized by now.

I had a prof that had very hard programming assignments worth a total of 2% of the grade. When handed out the marked assignments he would carefully explain how to do the problem correctly. Many students fell into the trap of thinking the assignments were worthless because he explained how to do them and they weren't worth much.

But if you didn't do them then you didn't understand all the obvious mistakes and how to avoid them. You could only learn that through trying, and failing, repeated.

He was my best prof ever.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Hell on Heels

my problem is that i act like a total blonde.

i just forget to do things.

like, i've tried everything in the book to remember, like i'll forget to check the lists i've made etc, and it dosen't work.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:01 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Do you mean study skills? Or motivation? If you're not motivated then either quit and get a job, or switch to a really easy program, work part-time and coast for a while. It is much better to get an easy degree and then go back later than to get yourself in academic trouble, then leave, and then try to get back in once you know what you want.

If you're talking about actual study skills, I have advice.

RTWAP's Rules of Studying

1) Write A Cheat-sheet/crib-sheet For Every Class

Not that you'll actually bring it into class, but anything you write in your own had is way easier to remember. And organizing the thought enough to summarize it on the sheet is a good test to see if you really know it.

To be truly efficient, you should start the sheet at the beginning of the year (in very small letters) and add to it throughout the class. If you're using the sheet all semester long then it will really sink in.

True story, on a difficult exam I couldn't remember a formula I needed. I took a blank sheet, drew a circle around where the 'formula' was on my 'cheat sheet' and then Presto! it was in my head.

It is very easy to read material and think "OK, I understand that", only to realize later than it didn't 'stick'. This leads nicely into my second rule.

2) Take breaks

Never study for longer than 30 minutes without taking a 5 minute break. Get up. Walk around. Talk to someone. Use other parts of your brain a bit. Again, you may think you're studying effectively by slogging through the material uninterrupted for hours on end, but your brain is just humouring you into believing that.

3) Work With Others

Spend at least 25% of your study time in vocal group studying with others. It's the best way to overcome blockages. It's the best way to uncover undiscovered brain-farts. It's also a good way to keep it fun.

The vocal part is surprisingly important. It's like the 'writing' in #1. If you actually say something out loud, it is much easier to remember. If you hear it (and understand it) it will reinforce what you know.

4) Do ALL The Problems

This is the hard work one.

Do all the practice problem or assignments, even the ones that aren't worth much. We learn by doing, not by reading. Applying your brain to the page through your hand is the best way to turn a newly understood idea into remembered knowledge.

Every new snippet of knowledge should go on the cheat sheet. While studying for finals, redo all (or at least the hardest) questions while referring only to your cheat sheet. You should almost have it memorized by now.

I had a prof that had very hard programming assignments worth a total of 2% of the grade. When handed out the marked assignments he would carefully explain how to do the problem correctly. Many students fell into the trap of thinking the assignments were worthless because he explained how to do them and they weren't worth much.

But if you didn't do them then you didn't understand all the obvious mistakes and how to avoid them. You could only learn that through trying, and failing, repeated.

He was my best prof ever.
Ahh, you see. You have to have motivation to do that.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
The thing is, even if I was to do an M.Sc. I have no idea what. Nothing particularly calls out to me...
Not sure I should be providing any advice on how to complete an M.Sc. since mine has been stuck at 90% complete for 6 years and counting, but ...

The subjects can be a little too daunting. Ignore them and find out what actual research projects are being done at the schools you're interested in. And definitely factor in your feelings toward the prof or profs on the team.

Having a supervisor who treats you as more than just a research employee can really help. When you are unmotivated it can just snowball. If you can tell your prof about it, they can switch you to some other aspect of the project or a related task for a while to recharge you.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:03 PM
arbo

i like where the fact that this thread now has nothing to do with the nashville game... because it was really THAT bad.

arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Human Megaphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbo View Post
i like where the fact that this thread now has nothing to do with the nashville game... because it was really THAT bad.
I just scrolled through it. I hate all of you.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:08 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
Hey, you got to learn about the LRT, AND university.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post

but we love you!

Old
12-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Jasz

The best part of the game is when the commentators called the Predators the "ugly jerseys".

Good thing I benched Corvo in my league, i'm already hurting enough in +/- as it is. Elias is especially killing me, but I can't just drop him.

Jasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:10 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Ahh, you see. You have to have motivation to do that.

Did I mention that I partied my way through school. The only one of those that seemed like work at the time was #4, and in the end I think it is actually more work if you don't do the assignments and keep up.

I managed the student store, I was the VP of the engineering society, I met my future wife. (true quote from girls in engineering ... "the odds are good but the goods are odd").

The guys in my study group are still good friends.

And I graduated with High Distinction.

It's much easier when it's fun.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Just doing my part.

Old
12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post

Did I mention that I partied my way through school. The only one of those that seemed like work at the time was #4, and in the end I think it is actually more work if you don't do the assignments and keep up.

I managed the student store, I was the VP of the engineering society, I met my future wife. (true quote from girls in engineering ... "the odds are good but the goods are odd").

The guys in my study group are still good friends.

And I graduated with High Distinction.

It's much easier when it's fun.

then i need friends.

...sooooo who wants to fly in my swedish boy?

Old
12-14-2006, 11:12 PM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

Quote:
I was gonna mention the same thing LOL. This was just a brutal game by the Sens. Making a simple pass was challenging tonight...

At least we're playing the Sabres next...

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Gr8full

And just to continue the "it wasn't our night" theme,Buffalo,Boston,and Montreal all won their games......

Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote