Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sam Gagne

Old
12-14-2006, 05:37 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Sam Gagner

How does making it past the first cut over someone like Esposito help his draft position in this years draft, it at all? Anyone here think this puts him closer to a top five pick? And does this cut for Esposito hurt his position, especially when Voracek is likely to play for Czecho.

Last edited by LeafErikson*: 12-14-2006 at 06:34 PM.
LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I think it helps a lot. Apparently Esposito's stock has been slipping this year and his early cut from camp might steepen that slide.

At this point I can see Gagner and Kane as top 5 picks, along with guys like Couture and Voracek.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

i think with another solid performance at the game tonight, sam has basically played his way onto the WJC team and Angelo Esposito has basically played his way off the team.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 10:29 AM
JrHockeyFan

Well

It is still way early but i will make these observations:

Making WJC can only boost a players stock, unless he plays poorly or gets in trouble. I am not worried about that from Sam.

Things are heating up in the scoring race. Especially with Kane starting to come on. How these guys perform down the stretch will go a long way to define their place in the draft.

Gagner is mainly a finesse player. While not small, some teams are drawn to bigger players out of habit I think. Each draft has its surprises. There always seems to be one player picked early where everybody says HUH?

Gagner is a top ten for sure. The next 5 months will decide whether a top 5 is going to happen. His skill is not going to diminish, so I am inclined to say top 5.

Couture will get a free pass for having had mono. I think his performance over the rest of the year will be what teams will bank on. He is a pretty good player.

Esposito? Who knows? His points are 3rd on the Remparts. He is about 20 pts off the league pace. He missed making WJC. Good player? Yeah. Top 10? Not so sure anymore.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 09:10 AM
SimonTemplar

If London ( rumoured to be true ) bring in a 19 yr old Stud Forward to put with Sammy and Pat look out. I've been thinking all season if they could ever land a power forward Bolland type to play with those two the scoring race would become mute, they would run away with it.

Kostitsyn carries a good game but is not the dominant forward needed to help these two smaller guys.

I have a feeling some deals are already inked but will await the New Year before announcing anything.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 11:26 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Esposito was a great 16 year old and is now a very good 17 year old. The problem is that he's not a great 17 year old.

Part of this might be the law of diminishing expectations (where a guy who's hyped at a very young age can see his stock drop because people are just used to all he can do and are looking for "new" things). It has happened in the past to guys like Phil Kessel and Jay Bouwmeester - consensus number one overall picks who dropped. Both of them are now solid NHL players, and I think Espo will be as well.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Hawkaholic

Of course it will help, and I beleive he will be top 10 not top 5.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 03:10 PM
ringetterox15

i think sam gagner is already one of the top 3 prospects, before the WJC even came around, he is a very skilled player

ringetterox15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 08:46 AM
SimonTemplar

Watching him and Kane at the WJC already shows soemthing special that they can control the play for periods of time. For Gagner to be already elevated onto the WJC team and Kane looking like the best US player on their whole team says something.

These two could both go top five.

Try to imagine Gagner and Kane when they hit 21 already having awsome hands they will dominate in the bigs eventually.

Mark & Dale have given them the chance to raise their games up to another level this year and both are shining.

Old
12-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

For those of you have seen them play more, who do you project to be the better NHLer...Kane or Gagner?

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 02:30 PM
toomanymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
For those of you have seen them play more, who do you project to be the better NHLer...Kane or Gagner?
Offensively I think Kane, seems to have the ability to control the puck at full speed, turn on a dime w/ it etc. Gagner may be better "all around". Depends how they both fill out as they mature.

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 03:32 PM
ringetterox15

i have seen a few london games, and all the world junior games for canada, overall i'd have to say kane, he just moves better, it seems that sam gagner is really nervous and doesnt work with the puck as much, and he just doesn't have the speed right now, that will come though, i'm sure

Old
01-01-2007, 01:15 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringetterox15 View Post
i have seen a few london games, and all the world junior games for canada, overall i'd have to say kane, he just moves better, it seems that sam gagner is really nervous and doesnt work with the puck as much, and he just doesn't have the speed right now, that will come though, i'm sure

Some good points ringetterox myself included in watching these two all year having caught them in 25 games already.

Gagner started out quickly that's just his good sense of the ice and reading plays a little better.

Both are great skaters, stickhandlers, soft hands and play defence at a high calibre for their age.

The difference's are minimal but Kane is quicker with his hands, moves lateral much better than Sam but doesn't have Gagner's nose for going to the net.

Depends on what one is looking for one on one Kane is turning into a dominant forward Coach Hunter already speaks how difficult he is to move off the puck.

At this point in development Kane is a little ahead but Sammy may push harder to stay with him.

Old
01-04-2007, 11:22 AM
JrHockeyFan

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringetterox15 View Post
Sam does appear to be hanging back at the WJC. Not sure why though. On the other hand it is easy to forget he is an August '89 player on a very talented team. The skills are there, maturity will make them better.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Default101

Gagner i believe is on a better offensive team than Kane, if they switched team i think youd see a similar response to the extra ice time for gagner as what kane is getting right now. Ive also seen a few london knights game and i do have to say Gagner is alot more noticeable on the ice, both are going to be drafted in the top 15 Gagner almost definately top 5, Kane almost definately top 10, but alot can happen second half of the season and how they respond in the OHL to the experiences theyve had int he WJC but as of right now early January 07 Gagner has the edge on Kane IMO.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
Gagner i believe is on a better offensive team than Kane, if they switched team i think youd see a similar response to the extra ice time for gagner as what kane is getting right now. Ive also seen a few london knights game and i do have to say Gagner is alot more noticeable on the ice, both are going to be drafted in the top 15 Gagner almost definately top 5, Kane almost definately top 10, but alot can happen second half of the season and how they respond in the OHL to the experiences theyve had int he WJC but as of right now early January 07 Gagner has the edge on Kane IMO.
I think the WJC has vaulted Kane into the top 5 and pushed Gagner out of it. I can see some teams being scared of how easily Gagner has been pushed off the puck in this tournament.

Being that my NHL team is so bad this year, I've been hoping all along to draft Gagner. But after the WJC, I'm not so sure anymore. I think Kane might be the better option. But as JrHF says, Gagner's young age and maturity surely impacts his play. It's almost not fair that they're both available in the same draft because Gagner could turn out to be the better player, it's just that right now he's not looking like it. Even back in the OHL, Kane got past him in the scoring race and I think that will continue the rest of the year.

Old
01-04-2007, 03:38 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Esposito is the Kessel of this year. Heres my list on who of the automatics will go where. This is list doesnt mean where they will be picked but that they will be picked ahead of people lower on the list.

1. Kane
2. Voracek
3. Gagner
4. Esposito
5. Couture

Dont know many other players so....remeber this a list that predicts who will go in order of the draft for these 6 players

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 01-04-2007 at 03:48 PM.
chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 03:39 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
5. Taveras
Not eligible this year.

Old
01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
Not eligible this year.
really oh ok edited

Old
01-04-2007, 04:56 PM
ringetterox15

im sure by the time Tavares gets drafted, he'll be right and ready to leave the O, in 2009!

Old
01-05-2007, 04:06 PM
rangerfan

Overrated

All that i have to say about Sam Gagne is OVER RATED!!!!!!!! The guy comes into the world junior camp top 2 in scoring in the OHL, and he cant even put the puck into the open net on numerous occasions in the tourney. Who ever drafts this guy is going to be VERY dissapointed in the future, and you can take that to the bank!

rangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 05:07 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan View Post
All that i have to say about Sam Gagne is OVER RATED!!!!!!!! The guy comes into the world junior camp top 2 in scoring in the OHL, and he cant even put the puck into the open net on numerous occasions in the tourney. Who ever drafts this guy is going to be VERY dissapointed in the future, and you can take that to the bank!
Did you watch Toews last year. look he didnt get playing time very often. Watch next year he could do what Toews did this year

Old
01-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Did you watch Toews last year. look he didnt get playing time very often. Watch next year he could do what Toews did this year
I was very disappointed in Gagner, especially after the stellar camp he had. I realise that he is 17, but he tried waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many cute plays that ended up in scoring chances the other way.

He played poorly.

Do I think he will be an NHLer? Of course. But this tournament...

I don't know how many times I screamed "****ing Gagner! YOU SUCK!"

01-05-2007, 05:49 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
You beat me to it. You would have said the same thing about Toews based upon his play last year, and I doubt the Blackhawks are unhappy with drafting him right now.

Old
01-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
You beat me to it. You would have said the same thing about Toews based upon his play last year, and I doubt the Blackhawks are unhappy with drafting him right now.
Gagner's tournament is not an indication of the player he will be, just like Toews last year. It was like night and day. Next year, with the cage off, Gagner will be one of the top scorers in the tournament.