HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Hainsey now

Old
12-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Puckboy

vCash: 500
Hainsey now

There have been a lot of threads with Hainsey mentioned as not having a good season. I do not get to see him a lot, but looking at the box scores he is logging close to 30 minutes a game. I know he could have a better plus/minus rating, but 30 minutes a game on a struggling team will lower that stat. Being an offensive defenseman he could put up a few more points I will agree. Has his play as of late changed your opinion at all?

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:21 AM
X0ssbar

Put me firmly in the corner of not being much of a Hainsey fan but I gotta admit he has played real well over the past couple of games. Credit really to he, Klesla and Eriksson for really stepping up their games with Foote and Duvie out. Maybe he is a guy that needs more minutes than less

Anyhow...hopefully he can keep up his current level of play once those two come back of IR. I look for at least one to be back for tomorrow night's game.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:46 AM
CBJSlash

I'm not a Hainsey fan either. I think Aaron Johnson will take his job this time next year. I think AJ has a much higher potential than Hainsey.

Hainsey just isn't offensive enough to be an offensive dman, and he isn't going to make his dollars playing shut down defense.

He needs to hit the weights.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Scrappy

He gets credit for stepping up and playing bigger than himself currently. Can he keep it up? Hmmm...maybe not, but he is a pretty good role player right now.

Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:32 AM
The Dancin' Beaver

Send a message via Yahoo to The Dancin' Beaver
He's been playing strong lately. What I don't get about him is that you see flashes of real offensive potential but they are few and far between. The rush against Ottawa that led to the Nasher goal was very nice. Hainsey showed some very good puck handling. I wonder if the injuries to the blue line have forced him into more of a defensive role.

The Dancin' Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
JrussJacket

I think Hainsey has played better the last few games but he needs to step it up in the checking department. Its almost like he's afraid to hit someone.

JrussJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:52 AM
raindog

Well, hell, looks like I'm about the only Hainsey fan around here anymore. I still really like the guy. He had some off games earlier this season (who didn't) but I think the Hollywood we're seeing lately is a lot like the Hollywood we saw last season. And under Hitch I think we'll see him improve anymore.

I know it's not his thing, but I still would like to see him hit the opposition's O when their trying to enter our zone.

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post
Well, hell, looks like I'm about the only Hainsey fan around here anymore. I still really like the guy. He had some off games earlier this season (who didn't) but I think the Hollywood we're seeing lately is a lot like the Hollywood we saw last season. And under Hitch I think we'll see him improve anymore.

I know it's not his thing, but I still would like to see him hit the opposition's O when their trying to enter our zone.
Hey, I like the guy. Overall, I don't see him as a top 3-4 defensemen. Maybe, 4. He is more of a 5-6. That may just be me.

Old
12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post

Make that a club of '2' Bender. I'm a big Hainsey fan as well, and think he's going to be a great one. And your seats on in the Hainsey corner at the Nat ...so it doesn't surprise me that you have a good take on him.

And I don't agree with PUCKBOY's original post where he says, "There have been a lot of threads with Hainsey mentioned as not having a good season." I haven't seen them and I'm on this board nearly every day. I think he's been playing well most of the season (not all), and he's started to score too, which is always nice.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Make that a club of '2' Bender.
Is there room for three?

Big Hollywood fan here as well. Who else in our supposed "bottom pairing" d-men can step and play 30 minutes, when needed, like Ron? Would you want OK, Novak, or Johnson out there for that long?

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:34 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Who else in our supposed "bottom pairing" d-men can step and play 30 minutes, when needed, like Ron?
I could play 30 minutes..

forgive me for being an ***.

Hitch's system has clogged a lot of opposing forward speed. Hainsey is looking better (just like all other dmen) because he is benefitting from better team defense.

5-6 dman tops for Hainsey. If we can work on his slapper from the point I'll give him some more props because for someone like him to be a productive NHLer I think he has to be an above average PP player.

He isn't even close to that.

Old
12-15-2006, 12:36 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
Hainsey is around a +8 under Hitch while playing big minutes. There's a difference between just playing 30 minutes, and playing 30 minutes and being effective. There's no denying that Hainsey has had a renaissance lately.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:40 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Hainsey is around a +8 under Hitch while playing big minutes. There's a difference between just playing 30 minutes, and playing 30 minutes and being effective. There's no denying that Hainsey has had a renaissance lately.
Given the way AJ has looked recently I wouldn't count him out of those kind of results with that ice time.

Old
12-15-2006, 02:17 PM
cbj21

the few gams i have seen lately he has done great both offencivly and defencivly. The games i saw pre-Hitch noone played well so it seems abit unfair to judge him without that into consideration.
On the radio last night it sounded AJ did several mistakes and turnovers and i had him as one of the least good players, guess the radio isnt always a reliable source

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Casework

Personally, Ron Hainsey is one of my favorite Jacket defensemen. He's a solid player, and I think he still has a lot of potential. He's no rookie, but he's still a young guy. I think Hitchcock will really help him shine.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:04 PM
X0ssbar

**NEW MEMBER ALERT**

casework!

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Personally, Ron Hainsey is one of my favorite Jacket defensemen. He's a solid player, and I think he still has a lot of potential. He's no rookie, but he's still a young guy. I think Hitchcock will really help him shine.
Welcome Casework

I'm with you on everything in this post. Hainsey, along with every younger player on our team, should be given leeway until the end of the season under Hitchcock. The young guys on our team (Fwd. and D.) have never had the opportunity to play under the guidance of a proper coach, at least not in Columbus. I don't believe the idea that anyone is "uncoachable" - a player may not be motivated enough to learn and improve his game, a player may not be talented enough excel beyond a given position/role ... but it's unwise and unfair to lay judgement on any guy on our team until he's been given a fair shot and some good minutes under the care of Hitchcock.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Matt

Remember you ahve been seeing the last three games with Koharski as a ref and he espouyses to non contact hockey. His some one (like Z last night) and off to the sin bin you go

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post

forgive me for being an ***.

Hitch's system has clogged a lot of opposing forward speed. Hainsey is looking better (just like all other dmen) because he is benefitting from better team defense.

5-6 dman tops for Hainsey. If we can work on his slapper from the point I'll give him some more props because for someone like him to be a productive NHLer I think he has to be an above average PP player.

He isn't even close to that.

Clearly Slash you have some personal vendetta against Hainsey or are just a big AJ fanboy. The guy has played the most minutes per game for the majority of the season, and has displayed some quality hockey during that stretch.

He is one of if not the only defenseman who can carry the puck up the ice and create some offense. He is scoring, making assists, and playing heavy minutes on the PK. Also, when the team can actually get setup on the PP, he is a big threat with his shot from the point which has created many scoring chances since Hitchcock has arrived.

I'm not trying to rant on here against Hainsey haters, I'm simply saying I don't see where a lot of the hate towards this guy comes from, because of the games that I have watched (which are all of them), he has looked like a top 2 defenseman.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Casework

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Not new to Jackets hockey by any means, but a friend of mine just mentioned the boards the other day, so I had to come check them out. Seems like a great place so far.

Old
12-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Scrappy

Quote:
Welcome. Top Shelf has over 8,000 posts. Your goal...if you choose to accept it...is to catch and surpass him. Good luck. This message will self distruct in 10 seconds.

Old
12-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
Welcome. Top Shelf has over 8,000 posts. Your goal...if you choose to accept it...is to catch and surpass him. Good luck. This message will self distruct in 10 seconds.
Haha, throughout all the message boards I've been a regular at, if I counted my total number of posts, my head would start to spin.

Old
12-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Mr Mac

Quote:
----------- Seems like a great place so far.
Don't worry, we'll soon disabuse you of that opinion.

Welcome.

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:06 PM
raindog

Welcome aboard, Casework. Always good to have more Jackets fans online. If you're ever going to a game, let us know and meet us at the R-Bar. I'll buy you a beer. We won't be able to talk 'cause Shelf will have Motley Crue and AC/DC on at full blast (Nothing wrong with that!) but it's always a good time!

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Casework

I'll actually be at the game tomorrow and most likely on Monday as well. Too young to drink though. Would be nice to meet up with some people though... I'd probably go to every home game if it weren't for a lack of people to go with on some nights.