HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT. Maudite "beer"

Old
12-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Avant-Gardien

vCash: 500
Unibroue turns out some fantastic ales, but I think Trois Pistoles gets unfairly overlooked by many in favour of Maudite and La Fin du Monde. Don't get me wrong, the two of those are fabulous beers in their own right, but that lingering dark fruit taste that Trois Pistoles just puts it right at the top of the list for me.

Actually, I just found a new Unibroue beer in Boston the other day, Seigneuriale, about which I can't find anything on Unibroue's site. Very nice amber ale, but really not anything to make it a standout beyond the remainder of their beers.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:09 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Yep. I work for them. Unibroue is owned by Sleeman which is owned by Saporro.

Unibroue still brews its products in Chambly, although it now also brews Sleeman Silver Creek. Most of the merger deals with the marketing, distribution and sales part which is now fully consolidated.

As for Saporro, since the take-over is relatively new, there hasn't been any significant changes yet. we distribute their product as we used to, although there is a bit more pressure to get it in more locations and to push it more. Still, it is not that popular compared to our other imported brands like Grolsch and Guinness.

As for the Maudite, it is hands-down our best product in my book, it doesn't have that "grain" taste that alot of Unibroue's refermented products have, such as the Blanche and the Fin du Monde.
Maudite'll be. My buddy down the road and I have a Holiday tradition. We buy each other beer then we drink each other's beer.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:11 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Not a big fan of the Unibroue stuff, I find it too sweet, not for me. I do like some of the stuff from McAusland brewing, though.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:27 PM
roy munson
Bon voyage capitaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
...the only beer they produce that I really don't care for is Blanche de Chambly.
Agreed! Love 'em all but I found that 'Blanche' tastes like White Pepto Bismol... I'll admit it saves time the morning after, but...

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:30 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant-Gardien View Post
Unibroue turns out some fantastic ales, but I think Trois Pistoles gets unfairly overlooked by many in favour of Maudite and La Fin du Monde. Don't get me wrong, the two of those are fabulous beers in their own right, but that lingering dark fruit taste that Trois Pistoles just puts it right at the top of the list for me.

Actually, I just found a new Unibroue beer in Boston the other day, Seigneuriale, about which I can't find anything on Unibroue's site. Very nice amber ale, but really not anything to make it a standout beyond the remainder of their beers.
I like Trois Pistoles (likewise Raftman) it's just hard to find here in Toronto, which is perplexing. I envy you being the states, the beer selection is so much better down south. An alarming trend is starting here, decent imports are being discontinued by the Provinces only liquor retailer (the LCBO). Rogue, DogFish Head, Westmalle, Petrus beers have all been discontined for swill like De Koninck.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:33 PM
!nkubus

I do like Unibroue a lot, but there is a lot of other nice microbrewrie in quebec like Le Grimoire, La Barbarrerie, Les 3 Mousquetaires. As well as some awesome place were they make their home beers, Dieu du ciel (probably the best beers ever) and les 3 brasseurs.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:37 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Agreed! Love 'em all but I found that 'Blanche' tastes like White Pepto Bismol... I'll admit it saves time the morning after, but...
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it tasted like Pepto fortunately I haven't had to drink either for some time. I'm more a fan of German weiss beer as opposed to Belgian witte beer, so I guess it's more the style I object to than the beer itself.

Old
12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
I do like Unibroue a lot, but there is a lot of other nice microbrewrie in quebec like Le Grimoire, La Barbarrerie, Les 3 Mousquetaires. As well as some awesome place were they make their home beers, Dieu du ciel (probably the best beers ever) and les 3 brasseurs.
Did Les 3 Brasseurs open a few new locations in Montréal? I've only ever been to the one on St. Denis (and the one in Paris - which is now called O'Neils ) and I've been meaning go back the next time I'm in Montréal. Decent enough beer, the selection is a limited, great food though.

Old
12-15-2006, 03:06 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Did Les 3 Brasseurs open a few new locations in Montréal? I've only ever been to the one on St. Denis (and the one in Paris - which is now called O'Neils ) and I've been meaning go back the next time I'm in Montréal. Decent enough beer, the selection is a limited, great food though.
They did, the beer is good but I go for the Flamms....Ohhh man they are so good...

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:41 PM
MXD

I like it.
Sweet, cherry-ish aftertaste.
Although "L'Eau Benite", from the same brewer, is a tad better.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
I agree with you completely...
The Millady is arguably the best "light" beer brewed in Quebec.
Try beers from Bieres de la Nouvelle-France.
Especially la Blonde D'Épeautre.
Tastes absolutely like nothing else.
La Barberie are doing nice custom beers - La Grande Réserve.
And le Dieu du Ciel completely rocks...

Old
12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Here's their website --> http://www.unibroue.com/

I do love it and almost all of their products.

I heard last week that Unibroue created a new beer!

It's supposed to be called La Yaneboulisse or something like that.

...concerning Dieu du Ciel, it must be the most overrated beer I have ever tasted. Sorry.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:58 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post

...concerning Dieu du Ciel, it must be the most overrated beer I have ever tasted. Sorry.
Well, depends on. La Paienne doesn't tastes anything at all, but they have like...25 beers in rotation.

Old
12-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Habs13

Unibroue is a great brewery and do quite well. I have a friend who only drink La Fin Du Monde!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
It is found in most grocery stores and depanneurs in Quebec.

There are only two Unibroue's beer that are only available at the SAQ:

- La Fringante
- La Terrible

You also have la St-Hub only available at St-Hubert Restaurants and l'Irresistible only available at Metro grocery store.

Voila!

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
One location at the corner of Ste-Catherine and Crescent (was there for lunch) and another one in front of Les Ailes de la Mode on Ste-Catherine. You also have the one on St-Denis. They are going to open one, next summer, in TO, on Yonge Street.

Old
12-15-2006, 06:37 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:

do u mean don de dieu?

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 08:42 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
do u mean don de dieu?
Dieu du Ciel is a bar on Laurier that brews its own beer. I find it pretty ordinary.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:03 PM
MXD

Quote:
Dieu du Ciel is a bar on Laurier that brews its own beer. I find it pretty ordinary.
As I said, it depends on the beer you took. Their smoked beers are awesome, and they had arguably the best north american beer in the 2005 Mondial de la Biere with their... Don't remember the name. They really have lots of beers, and the worst thing to do when you go there is to take the basic "Paienne".

Old
12-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Istvan

Thankyou for the input gents. I have learned quite a bit. I had no idea that the legal drinking age in Quebec is 18.[McPhee, I think i'm the one who needs to get out more]. I'm going to try and find some of the other unibruoe products mentioned. I also noticed a slight sweetness in the Maudite but not enough to put me off. I've actually stocked up, since I think there is something cosmologically correct and poetic about watching a Habs game in SoCal while sipping a very nice ale brewed in La Belle Province.

Cheers all.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan View Post
Thankyou for the input gents. I have learned quite a bit. I had no idea that the legal drinking age in Quebec is 18.[McPhee, I think i'm the one who needs to get out more]. I'm going to try and find some of the other unibruoe products mentioned. I also noticed a slight sweetness in the Maudite but not enough to put me off. I've actually stocked up, since I think there is something cosmologically correct and poetic about watching a Habs game in SoCal while sipping a very nice ale brewed in La Belle Province.

Cheers all.
Awesome man. I will drink a Noire de Chambly (from Unibroue) tonite and I will be thinking about another Habs fans, far away, doing the samething. Cheers man!

Old
12-16-2006, 04:40 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe View Post
Awesome man. I will drink a Noire de Chambly (from Unibroue) tonite and I will be thinking about another Habs fans, far away, doing the samething. Cheers man!
Please, take something else than the Noire...
It's a Noire that doesn't taste a noire at all!

Old
12-16-2006, 05:30 PM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
do u mean don de dieu?
Ah yes, I should have clarified. Dieu du Ciel produce the most overrated beer.

Back to the original topic. Years ago I absolutely loathed almost all dark "refermenté" (don't know the english word) beers especially those from Unibroue.

Now my palate is obviously more refined ( ) and I must say that I find some beers in their collection quite awesome: Trois-Pistoles, Raftman, Fin du Monde. I absolutely hate U and U2 though.

However, the best beer I have ever tasted is the Chimay Bleue. Spectacular.

Old
12-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Ah yes, I should have clarified. Dieu du Ciel produce the most overrated beer.

Back to the original topic. Years ago I absolutely loathed almost all dark "refermenté" (don't know the english word) beers especially those from Unibroue.

Now my palate is obviously more refined ( ) and I must say that I find some beers in their collection quite awesome: Trois-Pistoles, Raftman, Fin du Monde. I absolutely hate U and U2 though.

However, the best beer I have ever tasted is the Chimay Bleue. Spectacular.
Yeah, the U and U2 are quite ordinary. Apparently, it was to produce a "easier" beer appealing to women customers... Don't know if it worked but I don't care for it.

Chimay bleue ? Never heard of it. Who brews it ? Can you describe it for us a little. Is it available at SAQ ?

Last edited by Dr_Hook: 12-16-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 10:57 PM
J-D

www.chimay.be : it's a Belgian beer.

Some SAQ have it, depends if they have it in stock. It's on the expensive side (10$ - 750ml), but it's *well* worth the try.