HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 NHL Draft - Targets

Old
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Nich

vCash: 500
2007 NHL Draft - Targets

Who do you think the Rangers are targeting in this years draft assuming our pick ends up in the 2nd half of the round? Personally I believe that we have to target at least one goalie in the 3rd - 6th rounds.

I really just like to get a feel for this draft class a bit more to follow some progess of players through the season.

Thanks!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

A good place to start would be watching our guys on team Canada, specifically Cliche and seeing if he plays with '07 eligible Sam Gagner and possibly seeing if he has any chemistry with him. It may be the Rangers first viewing of him to really fall in love with his game. Never know, maybe it takes watching to see if and how he plays with Cliche to get them interested. It took a bang up performance at the U18 for the Rangers to really key in on Korpikoski. It looks like Karl Alzner will be the 7th defenseman on CAN and if any injuries befall the D, he'll be a great one to watch. The kid is so cerebral and smooth on his skates. I'm figuring his NHL impact will be a Hannan, not overly physical, but a top pairing defender that will shutdown opposing teams stars and log a ton of minutes.

I really like Gagner and think he should be ranked right outside the trio of Voracek, JvR, and Turris. I'd put him right ahead of Couture. My top five right now: JvR, Jakub Voracek, Kyle Turris, Sam Gagner, and Logan Couture.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:07 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
A good place to start would be watching our guys on team Canada, specifically Cliche and seeing if he plays with '07 eligible Sam Gagner and possibly seeing if he has any chemistry with him. It may be the Rangers first viewing of him to really fall in love with his game. Never know, maybe it takes watching to see if and how he plays with Cliche to get them interested. It took a bang up performance at the U18 for the Rangers to really key in on Korpikoski. It looks like Karl Alzner will be the 7th defenseman on CAN and if any injuries befall the D, he'll be a great one to watch. The kid is so cerebral and smooth on his skates. I'm figuring his NHL impact will be a Hannan, not overly physical, but a top pairing defender that will shutdown opposing teams stars and log a ton of minutes.

I really like Gagner and think he should be ranked right outside the trio of Voracek, JvR, and Turris. I'd put him right ahead of Couture. My top five right now: JvR, Jakub Voracek, Kyle Turris, Sam Gagner, and Logan Couture.
It would be great to get one of those guys but I think the Rangers will be picking in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round and unless there is a move by the Rangers there is no way they will get any of them. Any ideas on guys that could slip or are slipping right now and guys that are pegged to go later on in the 1st?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
It would be great to get one of those guys but I think the Rangers will be picking in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round and unless there is a move by the Rangers there is no way they will get any of them. Any ideas on guys that could slip or are slipping right now and guys that are pegged to go later on in the 1st?
Like you said, if the Rangers do not make any moves there are a few guys I'd be targeting. Honestly, I'm not looking at grinders who you'd hope put together a scoring touch in the first round.

Every team wants a safe pick, but there comes a time when you have to gamble on a guy with proven offensive ability....so some guys to look at that would be around our pick are: Brandon Sutter - a young Sutter playing for Red Deer, is a finisher, and of course is two-way and likes to play physical; Michael Repik - a dynamic one on one player on VAN, is slight but one of the better stickhandlers in the draft; Billy Sweatt - sweet skating freshman at Colorado College, with above average skills in everything; Max Gratchev - prototypical super skilled Russian, slick skater, questionable if he can translate talent to NHL type. A guy catching my eye right now is defenseman Nick Ross of Regina. He's got above average offensive skills, is solid in his own zone, BUT his moneymaker right now is his innate ability to land devastating open ice hits. Dare I say we might have another Phaneuf? More conservatively, my buddy likens him to Brad Stuart. He also has an inside track on the USHL, and glows about Des Moines Aaron Palushaj who, when he describes him, sounds a ton like a young Hejduk. But I'm not sure that type of player slips to the 20's especially if a Grabner can go 14th.

Old
12-15-2006, 01:44 PM
True Blue

The twosome that I am thinkig of now are

Tanguay & Ylven. They should still be around in the middle of the first round. Two different players, but effective. Tanguay is the kid I am really liking. He is small and plays in the Q, so his offensive points are to be taken with a grain of salt, but man does the kid ever know what to do with the puck. And I like that he is selfish. Relax, by that I mean that he does not overpass. His mission is to get the puck on net anyway that he can.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Tanguay & Ylven. They should still be around in the middle of the first round. Two different players, but effective. Tanguay is the kid I am really liking. He is small and plays in the Q, so his offensive points are to be taken with a grain of salt, but man does the kid ever know what to do with the puck. And I like that he is selfish. Relax, by that I mean that he does not overpass. His mission is to get the puck on net anyway that he can.
Ylven: Is this the big Norwegian kid playing in Sweden? Could you describe his game as well?

Old
12-15-2006, 01:58 PM
True Blue

Yes, that's him. I know more about Tanguay. But from what I know about Ylven is that he is a power forward (or projected to be one) and uses his size very well. Goes to the net and has good hands. Unlike a Jessiman or Graham, he uses his size to his advantage. Someone like Ola could probably provide a better scouting report.

I am trying to be somewhat realistic, given where I think that Rangers will be drafting (i.e. not the top-12 or so picks).

Old
12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
In The Flesh

None of this even matters, kids don't play on the rangers, remember. They sit in the stands, and wait to be traded.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:43 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
None of this even matters, kids don't play on the rangers, remember. They sit in the stands, and wait to be traded.
agreed, they should just split the rangers picks and give them to other teams, it would save time at the draft. Or Sather should just trade all of the picks at once. Why waste a pick. It seems like we did that with Jessiman, Falardeau and others.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 02:56 PM
dank

why try and hijack a useful and interesting thread?

we are all a bit peeved at whats happened in the past and a little bit now, but lets try and start some conversation about the future..

TrueBlue, could you enlighten us about Tanguay?

Nich, why do you say we should target "at least one goalie"?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Not really a useful thread. Theres not one person, not one who said Bobby Sanguinetti last year when posters were bringin up the draft early like this thread has.

It's still way too early to predict where the '07 players are outside the lottery guys(and even thats a debate).

If we still have a 1st round pick I say they go goalie !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 03:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
TrueBlue, could you enlighten us about Tanguay?
He is like Prucha or Dawes in a way, but IMO, much more talented. His size does not prevent him from getting his nose dirty or digging for the puck along the boards. He thinks shoot first all the time (which is a welcome and refreshing change), but he does have the hands to make passes. Quick and gets himself into position to shoot quickly.

As I said, he does play in the Q which makes his point total a lilttle sketpical, but even given that, the kid gets a good amount of points. He reminds me a lot of St. Louis & Gionta. He is going to have to learn how to play at both ends of the ice, but I love his offensive potential.

Old
12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He is like Prucha or Dawes in a way, but IMO, much more talented. His size does not prevent him from getting his nose dirty or digging for the puck along the boards. He thinks shoot first all the time (which is a welcome and refreshing change), but he does have the hands to make passes. Quick and gets himself into position to shoot quickly.

As I said, he does play in the Q which makes his point total a lilttle sketpical, but even given that, the kid gets a good amount of points. He reminds me a lot of St. Louis & Gionta. He is going to have to learn how to play at both ends of the ice, but I love his offensive potential.
2+2=4

Old
12-15-2006, 03:52 PM
TheRedressor

something tells me we will be trading our 1st round pick to make a run at the cup

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
something tells me we will be trading our 1st round pick to make a run at the cup
dont jinx it great this most likely gave sather an idea

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Nich

i just think we need to restock our system with some goalie prospects. hell take a college kid and give him 4 years.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 04:38 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
It's really impossible to try and pick out who to target right now as it's only December. I'll make my early list around April or so (as well as my top American born players list around then as well) for this.

I will say that there will be a lot of good mid-round goalies this year.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:18 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Since people are afraid of the Russians not playing nice with the NHL do you think quite a few of the Russian Dynamo offensive divas may fall to where we pick? I want one of those. We need a true offensive center prospect.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Since people are afraid of the Russians not playing nice with the NHL do you think quite a few of the Russian Dynamo offensive divas may fall to where we pick? I want one of those. We need a true offensive center prospect.
I'll save everyone the trouble - Anisimov from last years draft could be that guy.

Old
12-15-2006, 06:58 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'll save everyone the trouble - Anisimov from last years draft could be that guy.
did he drop for that reason? or did he even drop at all? i was under the impression he was a 1-2 round pick going into the draft

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
From what little I've seen and heard he is not exactly a prime offensive center.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 10:32 PM
tpb209

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
did he drop for that reason? or did he even drop at all? i was under the impression he was a 1-2 round pick going into the draft
From what i heard he would have gone about 15-20 if he didn't have some attitued issues.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:48 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

what? no talk of ANgelo esposito

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2006, 12:23 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope