HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What?!?

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
Bacchus

vCash: 500
Wtf?!?

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=32101 What a great new rule...

Old
12-01-2003, 03:59 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
I do not believe it is illegal to HAND your stick to a teammate without one. But tossing, sliding is not permitted.

I've seen numerous instances where the defender will be handed a stick by a forward without punition.

In fact, I've seen the Rangers do this within recent memory:

Goalie loses/breaks stick, defenseman hand goalie his stick. Forward gives his to defenseman. Never a penalty called.

PS - The netminder may play with a broken stick without penalty. Of course, a broken shaft makes this rule exception moot.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:53 PM
NYR469

rodent is 100% correct, you have to hand the stick to your teammate, you can't throw the stick...that has always been the rule

Old
12-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
That makes sense I guess. You could either injure somebody or prevent a scoring chance by throwing or sliding the stick.
My understanding is that a penalty shot is to be called if a goaltender throws any part of his equipment at a puck on purpose in order to stop the puck. I'm not sure how this works on the players, but I know the hand-offs are legal. The question is... is it then illegal for a defenseman to pick up the goaltender's stick and hand it to him? The D would have two sticks in his hand -- one of which is illegal for skaters to use -- is that considered a penalty?

Old
12-02-2003, 04:10 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Nothing 'new' about the rule. Been around awhile. With good reason. You ever caught a stick with your teeth before? Kinda hurts.
Handing your stick to another is not and will not be illegal. Its part of the game.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
My understanding is that a penalty shot is to be called if a goaltender throws any part of his equipment at a puck on purpose in order to stop the puck. I'm not sure how this works on the players, but I know the hand-offs are legal. The question is... is it then illegal for a defenseman to pick up the goaltender's stick and hand it to him? The D would have two sticks in his hand -- one of which is illegal for skaters to use -- is that considered a penalty?
As I understand it, a player can hand a stick to any other player (a forward could give to a defenseman, a defenseman to a forward, etc.) A goalie is the only player who may play with a broken stick. I think that as far as a player handing the players stick to the player, I think that it is up to the discretion of the referee if a player disrupts play by handing the stick to the player who has lost his stick.

12-02-2003, 04:16 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33teddy33

Rule 45 Broken Stick

(NOTE) A broken stick is one which, in the opinion of the Referee, is unfit for normal play.

(a) A player without a stick may participate in the game. A player whose stick is broken may participate in the game provided he drops the broken stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this Rule.

(b) A goalkeeper may continue to play with a broken stick until a stoppage of play or until he has been legally provided with a stick.

*NEW*
(c) A player who has lost or broken his stick may only receive a stick at his own players' bench or be handed one from a teammate on the ice. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this Rule.

(NOTE) A player tendered a stick thrown on the ice from the players' or penalty bench will not receive a penalty. However, the person responsible for throwing the stick will receive the penalty, as covered in Rule 41(k) - Abuse of Officials and Other Misconduct and Rule 67(g)(h)(i) - Interference.

(d) A goalkeeper whose stick is broken or illegal may not go to the players' bench for a replacement but must receive his stick from a teammate.

For an infraction of this Rule, a minor penalty shall be imposed on the goalkeeper.

Closed Thread